REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #7901
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
well mines fucking scary without cooking and cleaning. SO what the FUCK BRO!!??!?!!?
Scammed, dispute to government since PayPal won't deal with it.

Brake Rotors and other hardware arrive tomorrow
Advertisement
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #7902
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
I started cutting the rear fenders out of my 95 civic HB, cut the spot welds and opened it up like a tin can. No turning back now.
Oh man, I remember doing that to my STi when she was still only a year old. Still, dat flared look is well worth it if everything survives the modifications.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #7903
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hypa, I'm going for the stock no rust look!!! I considered bolting on flares to cover it up but then I would have to be putting down some major HP and doing to crazy turning to back up the stance. In reality it's also a test run for this type of project, if it works out I'm going to cut into some 60's stuff.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #7904
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts

Took my brother's B16 swap with ITR tranny, installed a CTR cluster.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #7905
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Took my brother's B16 swap with ITR tranny, installed a CTR cluster.
Where did you get that rep mugen b series cover? any issue of metal shaving inside the cover when you got it?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #7906
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
No idea, it was already on the swap. Engine ran good for the two years my brother had it. I'm probably going back to OEM soon.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #7907
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
This wind storm kicked out our power all day, it motivated me to ceramic coat my summer rims that are just waiting for May.

Last edited by Zedbra; 11-17-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #7908
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Well, the car is finally on the ground! The front left caliper locked up, which was odd, and when I pressed the pads back to see if I could repeat the issue I found fluid on the rotor. Ordered in a rebuilt caliper (last rebuilt caliper available in Canada!) only to open the box and find a right-hand caliper in the box. Sigh. I did manage to get some rebuild kits, and figured I'd see what I could do. One of the piston's in the left side caliper made it clear as to why I got fluid on the rotor, this is after cleaning it up as best I could:

But I have three calipers (technically), and thus six pistons...and I only need four! So I decided to use the new rebuilt caliper on the front right, and tear that one down to gain a good piston for the front left. With the left rebuilt, I mounted both calipers, started to bleed the brakes, and had to tighten the front right banjo bolt. Can you guess what happened?

*snap*. #@&$!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to check the depth of the banjo bolt before installing it, and as my brain was thinking "hey, I wonder if this bottoms out in the new caliper" it snapped. E-Z out couldn't pull it, and I considered using the mill to bump the fitting up to an M10, but realized I'd probably have to go up to an M12 banjo fitting to have enough meat for the threads. Well, crap. I had already split the OLD RF caliper to pull the piston the easy way, and the rebuild kits I had (AP) didn't come with the seal between caliper halves. Ugh. Well, I'm hooped anyways...so I split the new caliper, and measured that seal to see if I would have something that matched. Managed to find something in my random-VW seals box, probably a seal used in a type-4 motor...but it's the exact size I needed, so I tossed it all together and onto the car. "But Dave," I can hear you saying, "that seal may not be brake fluid safe?" True, but I had two of them...so one is sitting in a cup of brake fluid on my work bench, and the other is (currently) holding fluid at pressure in the brake system. 24 hours later and the seal in a cup appears to be the same dimension and brake fluid safe...

Swapped out the rear limit straps, including cutting out the bolts and sleeves on the upper mounts as they had all become one-unit together. This required making up some new sleeves on the lathe, and swapping the upper mounts over to metric hardware. Hey, I'm a VW guy and my shop has basically zero in the SAE department! I've got my Fastenal guy putting together an SAE kit for me.

Finally, I got under the car and sprayed texturized rubber undercoat over both floorpans and all of my welding repairs. Future me is going to hate myself for doing that, as it sucks to remove at a later date, but should anyone of authority look under the car, it looks safe and well repaired, vs patchworked. The exception to this is the passenger side where I did tack and seal a flat panel over all our patch work, but I simply have to remove the front seat cushion to show the quality repairs from the topside. Thought I almost lost an eye in the process. I was under the car spraying at arms length with just safety glasses on, vs. a full face sheild. I had shifted slightly to get a far off spot, and as my brain was thinking "I should tuck my chin in", a drop of undercoating splashed back and beelined for my eyeball, UNDER the glasses between glasses and cheek. I'm not sure if it hit me right in the eye, or I closed my eye fast enough, but it doesn't matter. BURNED LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. I got out from under the car and into the house for an eye ball washing session relatively quickly, but it was a scary 30min. Thankfully the black eyeliner I gave myself has only lasted a few days, and my eye seems perfectly fine. Wear your safety gear kiddies.

Now that the car is on the ground, I've realized two things. First, I think I need to rebuild the spare front shocks I have an prep them for install. The front feels awfully soft, but more importantly the right side feels softer than the left. Both sides pass the "bounce test" in what I would consider appropriate for a 60's car with oil-shocks. Second, my gut reaction was correct and I've chosen the wrong wheel colour. If I ever return the car to a stock looking midget with windsheild and hub caps, they'll look quite classy. But with the look I'm going with...they're completely out of place. My buddy Warwick called it, even before the wheels were powdercoated, and I should have switched the colour. Black with the caps (currently phototshopped) fits the look really well.

I think I'm going to end up pulling the wheels and plastidipping them for a black look. Gotta sit on it for a little bit. Tonneau cover has arrived in Vancouver, but it will be a few weeks before I have it in the shop to do the install. And now, we wait for spring weather to show up...
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #7909
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
thought vtec solenoid gasket went at only 150k
tightened the oil filter
too cold to work in an unheated garage
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #7910
I don't get it

Covered the Plastic Honda steering wheel with a leather wrap

ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #7911
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
I would not have the patience for that. Nice work!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #7912

Ordered a different T-Stat for my car and also ordered new hood support bars since mine could use replacement. Debated if I should order new trunk support bars also.

Cost:

$22.02usd for the set, I saved $55.88USD by buying the OE one instead of the ones from BMW. The only difference is that the BMW ones say E9X M3 on the bars LOL.

Looked at the cost for rear ones just now also. $26.44USD, definitely will order those whenever I need another engine maintenance item from FCP.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #7913
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
do you have quite a bit of textile experience?

if i attempted that it would just get wider and wider by the end of the stitch
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #7914
I don't get it

textile experience is from grade 8 home ec lol

It took like 5 hours, but it is worth it since it's something I'm always touching while driving
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #7915
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post

It took like 5 hours, but it is worth it since it's something I'm always touching while driving
lol something taught in high school that was useful!! yay!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #7916
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Impressive work on your car, Dave!

Nice wrap job, ssjGoku69! I wanted to do the same for our Toyota but couldn't find an exact fit wrap. I ended up buying a used leather steering wheel from Ebay.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #7917
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post

Where did you buy the wrap?
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #7918
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
^ Aliexpress or Ebay has lots
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #7919

Going to go pick up my rotors from the states. They finally arrived after 6 days of delays LOL.

Adams Polishes finally fixed an issue with an order I placed all the way back in November which I didn't receive.

Its like Christmas for me basically haha.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #7920
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Hammered away at some aluminum for ECU/Fuse box mount for the Z.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #7921

Happened a week ago, my car got the blues. SunTek HP50

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #7922
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Did you do that yourself? Where'd you source the tint? Thinking of getting the same on my WRX

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #7923

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Did you do that yourself? Where'd you source the tint? Thinking of getting the same on my WRX
I ordered the tint online at Tint Center out of the US and had Brookswood tint install it. I did the sunroof as well. The blue isn't popular and most tint shops around here won't order it in as they have to order a 100' roll. I found one shop that would order it in, but the pricing was going to be $250 more than me ordering it myself. Window Tint - SunTek HP Blue - 40" Wide - SunTek - Automotive - TC Store

I am tired of the blacked-out look and wanted good UV and heat blocking capabilities - the HP50 fit the bill. I really like it, but I can see how it isn't for everyone. It gets darker out of the sun.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #7924
I STILL don't get it

Installed my Competition Werkes fender eliminator tonight

prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #7925

Started stripping my bike apart at the end of November with a long list of maintenance items I wanted to attack. First on my list was to rebuild my front end as the old springs were sacked and the lowers were looking a little haggard. After stripping the forks apart, I hand sanded, then polished the lowers, and afterwards I had them Cerakoted with their new polished aluminium coating; I have had a lot of my guns coated with Cerakote and I know how much abuse it can take, so I am looking forward to seeing how it works on my fork lowers. Starting this morning, I reassembled my lowers with new bushings, guides, seals, and Progressive HD springs (full disclaimer - my local one-man Indy shop helped with the fork tube assembly as it is really a three hand job without jigs); by this afternoon it was all back together. I wasn't even done my second beer after all that work getting here; that's just the way it is.

Tearing the rear swing arm off next to replace bearings and bushings.

This post thanked by: