REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #9101
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
I have done sound deadending to my Mazda 5 and Model 3 by myself. The difference is very obvious even without having a decibel meter. I like to drive without music and the roads are horrible in Hong Kong, it cuts down all those wind and small noise penatrate the doors. Noise still come in from the windows, if the project can cut down 5db is already very successful and significant.
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2022, 07:55 PM   #9102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
You really gotta do a decibel test afterwards and let us know if all this effort is worth it.
I'll do some testing next week once I get it all wrapped up as I have readings from before on highway 1 at 100 and 120kph. I did take some readings today and in the city I'm down about 4-5 dbs at 60kph. I used to be around 63-64dbs on average roads and now I'm seeing 58-59dbs on similar roads. This is using an iPhone and the NOISH app (National Occupational Health and Safety).

The biggest diff is with cheaper cars, particularly those that don't have any sound insulation like Mazdas, Toyotas and Hondas. Much less impact with a Lexus or Buick. My RDX splits the difference - there's some sound deadening in place already and some semi-thick carpet but no acoustic glass or a plush ride with soft bushings.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:02 PM   #9103
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
im surprised the RDX doesnt have more sound deadening materials. its a luxury SUV.

The wife's RX is super quiet, like more quiet than my ES. Acoustic glass is amazing stuff.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:26 PM   #9104
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,017 Posts
Quote:
im surprised the RDX doesnt have more sound deadening materials. its a luxury SUV.

The wife's RX is super quiet, like more quiet than my ES. Acoustic glass is amazing stuff.
They try to sell the sport in the SUV. The RX is really just a UV. Now if Acura would fix the dumb tranny.....
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #9105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
sound deadening is a fun project but make sure you don't buy stuff that might emit toxic substance. I spend hundreds of dollars to do tests, end up buying all 3M stuff that costed 10 times more than cheap china mats. You might search the news from China, Audi owners got blood cancer from toxic parts.

ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c...ners_claim_to/
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #9106

Quote:

The MDX is pretty quiet but the rest of the line up isn't much to write home about when it comes to sound insulation. The Integra had no additional sound insulation added compared to the Civic and I'm not sure if the RDX got much more than a CR-V or Pilot - the carpet doesn't feel any nicer but there is some deadener in the sheet metal and the wheel wells are carpeted. On the down side, the RDX pipes in fake engine sounds and its far too loud and can't be deactivated unless you also turn off noise cancellation (same fuse). My brother's CX-9 is definitely quieter than my RDX.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #9107
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I just did a 3 hour garage shuffle, moved some scrap metal out. Wanting to get my truck out of the elements, I managed to to get it into the garage. I think I can fit one more, 2 if I want to leave a car in the air. I just need enough room around a couple cars to work on them.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:21 AM   #9108
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
My wife had alot of battery issues in her Rav4, i ended up just disabling the VVCS because her car just barely managed to start on our outing last night. The thought of her and my kids being stranded somewhere and asking for a jump didnt sit well with me(its happened a couple times already). I disabled it in my truck a couple years ago and ive never had an issue since.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #9109

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts

KEK, 1st time.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #9110

I stuck the rear camber arms back into my TSX, I messed these new snow tires up pretty good last year. So cold today, the perfect opportunity to park my hatchback outside and test sub zero cold starts.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #9111

^ Are those mods supposed to make cold starts hell? I don't know much but I was under the impression idle can be tuned relatively well unless you have big cams.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #9112

Ya those are all a challenge, has long duration cams with more than typical overlap too. I bet most of the swapped and tuned local hondas with half the mods on a easy piggyback ecu will not cold start today. Forget about these shops attempting to write a tune from nothing on a standalone.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:03 AM   #9113
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Drove out to Squamish for the first time in an EV - it feels nice not riding the brakes down the steeper sections of the highway.

radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #9114

i recall from winters past, every time you wash your car it seems like a pointless endeavor as it'll get dirty as soon as you drive around the block. the salt, the grime, it just sticks to the car like glue. Even w/ ceramic coating, shit just looks horrible as soon as you drive it out
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #9115
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
i recall from winters past, every time you wash your car it seems like a pointless endeavor as it'll get dirty as soon as you drive around the block. the salt, the grime, it just sticks to the car like glue. Even w/ ceramic coating, shit just looks horrible as soon as you drive it out
My ceramic coating has held up excellent, it takes a real effort to get it dirty. If it's bad, even a simple rinse does wonders as the grime/dirt just mostly washes off. Car wash takes me just 15 minutes and a single pass with the mitt in one of those self-serve bays.

Maybe you used a crap ceramic coating
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #9116

The Gyeon ceramic coating on the X3 is 3 years old now and isn't as hydrophobic anymore, but stuff still doesn't stick on it that much. It got super dirty as I drove it in the snow a lot, but 5 mins at the wand wash and it's 80% clean. The new wheels that weren't coated on the other hand.....
Old 12-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #9117

I got graphene ceramic coating from Adam’s. I think I’ll still get dirty. I’ll try it when I’m back tomorrow
Old 12-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #9118
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
I got graphene ceramic coating from Adam’s. I think I’ll still get dirty. I’ll try it when I’m back tomorrow
You DIY'd or had a pro do it?

I had Cquartz CSL + EXOv3 topper applied by Autowerkes Exclusive.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #9119

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The Gyeon ceramic coating on the X3 is 3 years old now and isn't as hydrophobic anymore, but stuff still doesn't stick on it that much. It got super dirty as I drove it in the snow a lot, but 5 mins at the wand wash and it's 80% clean. The new wheels that weren't coated on the other hand.....
Coating my wheels in ceramic has been one of the best things I could spend money on (considering I'm fairly obsessive about having a clean car). Makes cleaning so easy.

I have Crystal Serum Ultra on m RDX and it's 2.5 years in and still holding really well - the very limited warranty says it's a 9 year coating but I'd be happy if I get 5 solid years out of it. 5 years and I'd call it money well spent considering how I'd otherwise be paying for an annual detail (or doing it myself).
Old 12-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #9120

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Coating my wheels in ceramic has been one of the best things I could spend money on (considering I'm fairly obsessive about having a clean car). Makes cleaning so easy.

I have Crystal Serum Ultra on m RDX and it's 2.5 years in and still holding really well - the very limited warranty says it's a 9 year coating but I'd be happy if I get 5 solid years out of it. 5 years and I'd call it money well spent considering how I'd otherwise be paying for an annual detail (or doing it myself).
I had coatings on the original wheels, but I got used 20"s and they were curbed so I didn't do it. It's one of those "I'll get it refinished" eventually, and eventually never happens.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #9121
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I used Gyeon Rim on my wheels. Did two coats on the entire face and barrel. Everything comes off easily.

Gave the remainder to my friend and he was able to do a coat on his wheels as well.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
You DIY'd or had a pro do it?

I had Cquartz CSL + EXOv3 topper applied by Autowerkes Exclusive.
I did it myself but it’s pretty brainless shit. Especially on her white RX because I can’t even see any friggin high points even if I do screw it up. I laid it on thicccckk so I don’t know why it accumulates dirt and dust so easily. Especially on the rear tailgate…. I think it’s the way aero is handled on the RX. It seems to keep the front really really clean but the back sucks.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #9123
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,721 Times in 891 Posts
Anyone use Avalon king? It's like super advertised on YouTube and seems quite affordable about $80 a bottle? I'm still poor here using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax and turtle graphene flex wax
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #9124
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Haven't heard of that one. I use Gyeon Cancoat and it works well for me.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #9125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Anyone use Avalon king? It's like super advertised on YouTube and seems quite affordable about $80 a bottle? I'm still poor here using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax and turtle graphene flex wax
I've read solid things about it on the Reddit detailing forum but for DIY the top 2 suggestions always land on CQuartz or Crystal Serum Light b/c they're the easiest to apply and will still deliver 2-3 years of protection. Gyeon's equivalent product also gets good reviews.