REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #9051
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I have personally never used FCP Euro as the time and distance for me to take advantage of their return policy far outweighs that of the total drive time and associated costs to do so. If I lived in Vancouver, that would likely be a different story.

I won a contest on Rennlist for a case of Motul 300V and ran it in my Boxster for a season and it smoked like crazy so I stopped using it and switched back to off-the-shelf oil. If Motul 300v didn’t smoke on my ghetto car, I’d take advantage of FCP Euro’s return policy.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #9052
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
But empty oil jugs are OK, eh?

So basically you just end up paying shipping. I am guessing most of you ship the used/worn stuff back from here (in Canada)? In the past when I tried to mail stuff out to US buyers from PR or Blaine, the US border guard(s) gave me a lot of shxt.
The border guards still give me shit but I tell them I'm making a warranty return and have the documents to prove it LOL.

You don't even pay for shipping. Return shipping is covered by PayPal.

I also got Castrol SRF from FCPEuro LOL. They might ban me for abusing the policy if I warranty it every week, but I only track about 2-3x a season. Hoping to bump it up to 5 but rotors and pads are expensive with no FCPEuro support.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:04 AM   #9053
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I think I'm looking for a strong initial bite. The first 20% of my pedal doesn't really do anything, I have to press down hard to get some braking in. Granted that's good modulation but also kind of sus because I don't know if I'm braking - which is how I ended up overslowing the car on some corners (track)

Interesting about the F80, I typically like OEM BMW M pads. They're dusty, but they stop. I think BMW M cars are usually undersized brakes. I thought that would have changed with the M BBK.
That's going to be a pad thing rather than something lines and fluid can solve, like my experience it's most likely going to be a consistency thing rather than bite.

You'll probably need to do more research on which pad gives you the drag profile you are looking for and even have to shell out for a few sets. I don't know how the braking system is on the FK8 (was supposed to give Cho's car a twirl but didn't happen at the end).

For my MS3, I noticed that the car is something retarded like 85% front and 15% rear brakes. I was at 100k when I finally swapped out the rears, and that was because I was taking the car to Mission and wanted to swap otherwise the original OEM bits would have probably lasted another 50k.
I did the poor man's brake proportioning by installing a more aggressive pad on the rear (Stoptech sport on the front, EBC Yellow rear) to move the brake balance rearward. It worked though the drag profile was a little off as the yellows gripped harder as I braked harder.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #9054
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
On a trip back from Portland, averaged 3.8 km/100 L in the Insight sans hypermiling as we were still going around 70 mph most of the way back.

This was all ICE only as the hybrid battery is disconnected (awaiting lithium conversion).

Old 09-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #9055
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
Such cool gauges.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #9056
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Such cool gauges.
Reading this made me randomly remember the time Dodge produced multiple years of the Daytona with it spelled "GAGE" on the cluster's warning lights in every car lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #9057
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
I washed my car today

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 PM   #9058

I added cf mirror caps. Easy stick on with double sided tape
Should protect this exposed plastic from rock chips

And got this key enclosure from aliexpress

This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #9059
RS Veteran

Nice Corolla

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #9060

This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2022, 02:53 AM   #9061
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Anyone use ONR as a waterless wash?

I was thinking of something like this - use hose to spray it down, spray ONR at 16:1 dilution (quick detailer dilution), wipe dry. This is for when I don't have time to do a full on foam and two bucket wash.

People recommend Opti-Clean for it instead, but just wondering what you guys think since I received a bottle of it today after reading about how versatile it is. I just made a few bottles of it diluted for quick detailing, interior detailing/glass cleaner and as a clay lube.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:41 AM   #9062
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Got my Figs cerakoted header heat shield and subframe braces this weekend and installed them immediately:

Replaced these OEM stamped braces:

with these:

I could feel the difference made by the braces but it was subtle.

Also measured the dimensions of the rear lower control arm in order to calculate the motion ratio, to select the appropriate spring rate when the time comes for a set of coilovers. I am aiming for a frequency of 2hz to 2.5hz… interestingly there is no reliable data on the IS300/Altezza on the internet (everyone just goes “this is too soft” without any data to back up their claims) whilst GT86’s suspension geometries can easily be found…

After a week of testing, I can conclude that the grounding kit makes a huge difference in throttle response (IS300 is 75% drive-by-wire…)

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #9063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

I was thinking of something like this - use hose to spray it down, spray ONR at 16:1 dilution (quick detailer dilution), wipe dry. This is for when I don't have time to do a full on foam and two bucket wash.

People recommend Opti-Clean for it instead, but just wondering what you guys think since I received a bottle of it today after reading about how versatile it is. I just made a few bottles of it diluted for quick detailing, interior detailing/glass cleaner and as a clay lube.
I have a bottle of ONR, used it a few times but I don't like it. I'll just drive it to Royal Oak and spray it down, I get the benefit of spray down the wheel wells too.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #9064
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
I've used Onr as clay lube quick detailer but never as a soap as I have so many other soaps I haven't finished. When I get lazy or if the weather is bad what I do is still with a bucket of soap. But I mist the whole car down still with a hose on mist setting inside the garage. Then I wash each panel with a mitt then mist off each panel one by one. I still haven't run into the situation where I had to wash a car with zero water and had to fully use Onr.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #9065
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

No need to hose it down unless it's really dirty just spray and wipe. Optimum's rec is 10oz to a gallon for waterless washing (https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetaili...aterless_wash/).

I do ONR rinse less with a Big Red Sponge (https://carzilla.ca/products/optimum-big-red-sponge) instead and think it's the easiest way to do an ONR wash. I can bang it out in 15-20 mins in my garage during the winter. I get maybe a litre or two of water on the ground - not so much that it annoys my wife.

re: 2 bucket - this year I switched to just using 4-5 mitts with one bucket instead and I find it saves me a bit of time and is a bit less hassle. The dirty mitts just go into another bucket.

Last edited by supafamous; 09-18-2022 at 09:17 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #9066
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The border guards still give me shit but I tell them I'm making a warranty return and have the documents to prove it LOL.

You don't even pay for shipping. Return shipping is covered by PayPal.

I also got Castrol SRF from FCPEuro LOL. They might ban me for abusing the policy if I warranty it every week, but I only track about 2-3x a season. Hoping to bump it up to 5 but rotors and pads are expensive with no FCPEuro support.
Wait how did you get PayPal to cover the return shipping, When i used the LRG I had to pay shipping from usps.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #9067
RS Veteran

Swapped out the test pipe/catless header on the Mini today for a Scorpion performance header with 200 cel catalytic converter.

Thank goodnes for no more exhaust leak and a more civil ride without all the cracks, bangs, awful unburnt fuel smell and check engine lights on the dash.

Pro Tip: Buying parts originating from the UK results in no duty! Eff you, NAFTA! (Or whatever it's called now.)

Old 10-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #9068

Installed front and rear Cusco lower arm braces today:

Stock

Stock vs Cusco front

Installed

The rear brace was a pain in the neck. No problem with 7 of the 8 bolts but the tolerance on the last bolt/hole was too tight; I had to remove the bolts and reinstalled the brace twice under the car. Now my body is sore.

Took it for a test drive and it felt awesome; hit 215k on the odometer on the way.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #9069

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Installed front and rear Cusco lower arm braces today:

Stock

Stock vs Cusco front

Installed

The rear brace was a pain in the neck. No problem with 7 of the 8 bolts but the tolerance on the last bolt/hole was too tight; I had to remove the bolts and reinstalled the brace twice under the car. Now my body is sore.

Took it for a test drive and it felt awesome; hit 215k on the odometer on the way.
Do you feel a difference? I've always questioned the effectiveness of replacing bracing that's effectively the same. Adding bracing sure I can understand.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Do you feel a difference? I've always questioned the effectiveness of replacing bracing that's effectively the same. Adding bracing sure I can understand.
Yes, the chassis feels firmer with less flex, but having said that, I can’t tell whether it was mainly from the rear since I installed both at the same time. And unlike the front, the rear was an add on to the stock braces that ran from front to back only but not from side to side.

I think design-wise, with the thickness of the bar and the way the cross bar links to V at the middle instead of being closer to the top like the stock one, the Cusco front bar would have less flex (or would resist torsion better) than stock but by how much, I can’t tell.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #9071

Pieced together these at home today:

Cusco front member brace
Eibach 28mm front sway bar
Whiteline lateral locks
Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings and brackets (needed to trim the brackets for them to fit on the brace)

This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #9072

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Pieced together these at home today:

Cusco front member brace
Eibach 28mm front sway bar
Whiteline lateral locks
Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings and brackets (needed to trim the brackets for them to fit on the brace)

I heard you like bars, so I put a bar on your bar......
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #9073
RS Veteran

Will this IS300 be even street drivable anymore after all these mods?

Old 10-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #9074
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
I hope HK's roads are smooth as buttah
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #9075

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Will this IS300 be even street drivable anymore after all these mods?
I still have stock springs and "mostly" stock ride height (the front sits lower than stock because Bilstein B6 had a setting that allows the spring to sit lower. So far the car feels great with all the chassis braces without any extra harshness; but the sway bars will change the cornering quite dramatically. I have been reluctant to put the sway bars on but mainly due to bad experiences in dealing with end links on the Solara that refused to come off and having to get new ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I hope HK's roads are smooth as buttah
The highways which I drive mostly on, they are ok; but the streets are uneven or full of potholes similar to Vancouver. And Vancouver has trained me well lol.