REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   People complaining about smart meters (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667072-people-complaining-about-smart-meters.html)

Death2Theft 04-25-2012 05:30 PM

People complaining about smart meters

Here is your chance to do something about it.
Smart Meters and Vancouver Council – Important Message from Citizens for Safe Technology

Please plan on coming to the Vancouver City Council meeting Tuesday, May 1 at 9:30 am, waving our yellow signs. The signs will be handed out before the meeting at 9.30 am (try to be at City Hall by 9 am)

This is an important meeting and we only have one shot at this so please come out and support Adriane Carr who will be making a motion to council asking for a personal opt out re. smart meters. Many of the Councillors are still not on side, so we need a strong turnout.

**Attached is a letter that people can complete and deliver or mail to the Mayor and Council. Alternately

or additionally, you may choose to write your own.

Letters to: Mayor and Council
Vancouver City Hall
453 W. 12th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Y 1V4

And/or email: mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

( on or before May 1st. Keep them coming even after that date, but we want the bulk of the messages to be in by May 1st. )

Vancouver City Mayor and Councillors : Phone and Email Info:

Mayor Gregor Robertson: gregor.robertson@vancouver.ca 604-873-7621

* Emails to the individual concillors is even more effective:

George Affleck: clraffleck@vancouver.ca 873-7248
Elizabeth Ball: clrball@vancouver.ca 873-7240
Adrienne Carr clrcarr@vancouver.ca 873-7244
Heather Deal clrdeal@vancouver.ca 873-7242
Kerry Jang clrjang@vancouver.ca 873-7246
Raymond Louie clrlouie@vancouver.ca 873-7243
Geoff Meggs clrmeggs@vancouver.ca 873-7249
Andrea Reimer clrreimer@vancouver.ca 873-7241
Tim Stevenson clrstevenson@vancouver.ca 873-7247
Tony Tang clrtang@vancouver.ca 873-7244

You can contact me for details on how to register as a delegation for the second meeting on Wednesday May 2nd (time to be confirmed) when the actual vote will take place. Again, this is an important meeting and we need as many people as possible to show up to help influence the Mayor and Council to do the right thing!

Please forward to this to your friends and other contacts and let's get a hundred people to show up!

Thanks,

Andrea Collins acollins2@shaw.ca

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...a418593_0.1&zw

SkinnyPupp 04-25-2012 05:34 PM

Please don't encourage stupidity

Excelsis 04-25-2012 05:39 PM

CONSPIRACY

:troll:

Death2Theft 04-25-2012 06:10 PM

Yes your right to have a choice is pretty stupid.

Manic! 04-25-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7900066)
Yes your right to have a choice is pretty stupid.

Yes when the other choice is going backwards and making more work fore BC Hydro (more work more cost). I guess you still want the choice to be able by a new 4 buy 3 CRT TV, leaded gas from your local gas station or a new stove that still uses fuses.

b0unce. [?] 04-25-2012 06:47 PM

lol u noob

El Bastardo 04-25-2012 06:57 PM

Ok, I'll ask:

"Whats the problem with smart meters?"

KingDeeCee 04-25-2012 07:00 PM

El Bastardo 04-25-2012 07:07 PM

As entertaining as the video is, it doesn't exactly explain WHY theres a problem with the smart meters. It just seems as if people don't want to jump from analog to digital technology. Theres lots of pseudo-science being thrown around, and a load of assumptions about what could or couldn't happen when smart meters have been installed.

Death2Theft, back up your activism. Convince me why smart meters are bad.

SkinnyPupp 04-25-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7900145)
As entertaining as the video is, it doesn't exactly explain WHY theres a problem with the smart meters.

Because there isn't
Quote:

It just seems as if people don't want to jump from analog to digital technology. Theres lots of pseudo-science being thrown around, and a load of assumptions about what could or couldn't happen when smart meters have been installed.

Exactly. It is the difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorant people will seek knowledge and try to understand if something is good or bad. Stupid people... well just look at the OP's posts.

wstce92 04-25-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

As entertaining as the video is, it doesn't exactly explain WHY theres a problem with the smart meters. It just seems as if people don't want to jump from analog to digital technology. Theres lots of pseudo-science being thrown around, and a load of assumptions about what could or couldn't happen when smart meters have been installed.

Death2Theft, back up your activism. Convince me why smart meters are bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of currently, BC Hydro can't check your meter every month?
So a lot of the time, they bill you according to patterns?
So many a time, people will get billed for a underestimate of their usage?
Now they'll get billed exactly what they use?

Excelsis 04-25-2012 07:20 PM

best explanation i could find

El Bastardo 04-25-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstce92 (Post 7900151)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of currently, BC Hydro can't check your meter every month?
So a lot of the time, they bill you according to patterns?
So many a time, people will get billed for a underestimate of their usage?
Now they'll get billed exactly what they use?

No. They physically dispatch someone to read your meter every month (or make an educated estimate if you live in a rural area) and a guy in a truck with binoculars writes down the reading on a sheet of paper, then takes it back to the dispatch office and enters it in a computer.

They have hundreds of these guys doing this every (week) day.

Sometimes they read incorrectly, but they get it right most of the time.

This will serve to streamline the process and save some money in the short term. Then when they figure out peak usage they can adjust how much they bill per month based on peak times (as mentioned in the video)

RouRK 04-25-2012 07:29 PM

The reason smart meters are stupid is PEAK HOUR BILLING.

ya ya its not going to be implemented as of right now, if the technology is in place for this to happen IT WILL HAPPEN.

no smart meters = no chance of peak hour billing.
take your pick, raise prices or implement peak hour billing you say... I will take the raised prices, and before you charge me more look inside to how your fucked up public company works.
nuff said FUCK THE SMART METERS.

SkinnyPupp 04-25-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RouRK (Post 7900171)

ya ya its not going to be implemented as of right now, if the technology is in place for this to happen IT WILL HAPPEN.

take your pick raise cost or implement peak hour billing you say... I will take the raised cost, and before you charge me more look inside to how your fucked up public company works.

If that's your argument, FINE. That is perfectly valid.

The problem I have is when people make shit up to make smart meters sound bad, like they cause radiation and shit like that.

bcrdukes 04-25-2012 07:36 PM

You have a point.

As a Crown Corporation, they net some huge profits over the past few years (if not more) and those profits turned into big fat cash bonuses to their executives on top of their already lucrative salaries. All of the information is available in their annual reports on the BC Hydro website.

On the flip side, the same can be said about ICBC but to be fair, they find some way to put profits back into the system through lower insurance rates. But that in itself is another laughing matter. :\ Any way, I'm derailing the thread. Carry on.

Lomac 04-25-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7900174)

The problem I have is when people make shit up to make smart meters sound bad, like they cause radiation and shit like that.

But ever since my smart meter was installed, I've grown an extra head AND two more toes on my left foot! You can't tell me this wasn't because of the new device!

hk20000 04-25-2012 07:40 PM

I have shown a house in South Granville and the Eastern European lady with her realtor was asking me with a serious face "won't that affect pace makers and old people and small children? Where should I move to if I don't want a smart meter?"

Both her realtor and myself did an imaginary facepalm.

Pretty sure my cellphone emits more 3G electromagnetic wave signal than that meter....

I hear they can save a lot of labour because if it works they should not have to send people (i.e. paying people) to read meters at each cycle... I'm all for automation for these monotonous and uninspiring work (that saves us money overall).

Great68 04-25-2012 07:41 PM

I think the automated consumption and fault reporting of the smart meters is great, about damn time.

What I'm not too happy about is the fact that they can trend your usage, which can be used to call authorites on "suspicious use" and stuff.

Does anyone remember the guy in Mission that had the police raid his place because his high power consumption led them to believe he was growing pot, when all he was doing was Bitcoin mining???
And then they made him pay a $5200 "inspection fee" WHEN THEY DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG!!!

Lomac 04-25-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7900187)
I think the automated consumption and fault reporting of the smart meters is great, about damn time.

What I'm not too happy about is the fact that they can trend your usage, which can be used to call authorites on "suspicious use" and stuff.

Does anyone remember the guy in Mission that had the police raid his place because his high power consumption led them to believe he was growing pot, when all he was doing was Bitcoin mining???
And then they made him pay a $5200 "inspection fee" WHEN THEY DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG!!!

That's happened quite a few times now in Mission (well, apart from the Bitcoin mining, of course lol). Mission's council is completely fucked up right now, so it's not really surprising it happened there.

El Bastardo 04-25-2012 07:50 PM

At least he was saving his money heating his home by bitcoin mining. :awesom:

surreyjack604 04-25-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7900174)

Nobody made up anything tand BTW they dont cause radiation they emit radiation.

Excelsis 04-25-2012 08:05 PM

lol i don't think you see how :fulloffuck: your comment is

surreyjack604 04-25-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RouRK (Post 7900171)

take your pick, raise prices or implement peak hour billing you say... I will take the raised prices, and before you charge me more look inside to how your fucked up public company works.

This. People in this thread who think smart meters will save "us" money are idiots. You think they spent a billion dollars to save us money? No. They are going to rape us down the line.

Manic! 04-25-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack604 (Post 7900223)
This. People in this thread who think smart meters will save "us" money are idiots. You think they spent a billion dollars to save us money? No. They are going to rape us down the line.

Because you have 3 illegal suites in your house?