REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #101
look at these diamonds, they shining
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour View Post
I don't see why ignorant and racist/stereotypical comments towards Aboriginals get so much attention when there are plenty of other posts about other cultures and people that get looked passed without a thought.

Not saying its okay but its kinda inconsistent..
true that. hating on the first nations is unacceptable by the majority, but talking smack about china fobs seem to be the norm around here.

seems sorta unfair to the china men if u ask me.
Advertisement
Drow is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #102
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: na
Posts: 122
Thanked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
lol'd at platinum300's comment
Thats cause you're a moron.
Doubledown1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #103
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
Go live in Alberta and Saskatchewan for a few months.

I guarantee that you will despise them when you come back. Used to live in the Prairies way back, these people can't even hold on to a 50 dollar bill, just gets blown on alcohol, and then they go stealing wheels and cigarettes.

I vote for Gleichen, Alberta.
Profound, for a guy with the confederate flag as his avatar.

I don't think anyone looks at the first nation people and says, "you know, they have their shit together except for a few kinks to work out" I think everyone understands that they have some major, structural issues in society that needs help.

I think all that people are saying is its pretty harsh to write them off as capable of nothing else.

And there are people that make it out and become active, contributing members of society...a lot of them.

It's pretty damned narrow minded and rude to come on a forum and say "because chug" and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
true that. hating on the first nations is unacceptable by the majority, but talking smack about china fobs seem to be the norm around here.

seems sorta unfair to the china men if u ask me.
You know, its true. However, I 'think' some of it comes from people that are asian themselves. There is a difference between rocking some stereotypes(ie asian driving) and writing off an entire culture as hopeless. Just me though.

As well, I have NEVER seen someone put "because chink" and get away with it.

Drow...you asked why mindbomber continually fights to change the minds of people on this forum. Maybe its you. You are 21, and hopefully open enough to realizing that all that stuff you absorbed while growing up can be open to questioning. Maybe the next 'first native' person you meet will get an open mind from you instead of your first thought being "this guy has been drunk since birth"
Gridlock is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #104
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: na
Posts: 122
Thanked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
and @mindbomber

i know whenever there's a discussion about native people, a lot of RS' ugly sides turn up. I observed that each time you sorta take a slap to the face, and then feel the need to educate others about your race and to educate the simple minded.

Now, i'm not trying to tell you not to stick up for your own people but... don't you think sometimes its in your own best interest to just ignore it? you and I and pretty much a big majority of vancouver acknowledge that there exists some form of racial discrimination against the first natives. It's hard for people to not develop these assumptions that native people in general participate in the aforementioned activities.

I would bet that you've probably explained to other people, including those outside of RS, of how it is wrong to generalize first natives as the negative connotations that people perceive. And i would bet that you've probably been really fustrated over it as well. But i do hope you understand that no matter how many times you lecture people, or try to correct them, people will always be people. People will STILL generalize. You'd have to understand that the world isn't fair, and some people receive the shorter end of the stick while others benefit. Especially in this city, it is RARE, to encounter natives as intelligent as you are. Even for me ... you are probably the first Native person i've seen put together a well constructed argument, and i've seen a lot of natives in vancouver.

My point is... you might be wasting your time trying to educate people. This is a problem that probably won't be fixed in our lifetime.
I'm astounded by your moronic ignorance.
Doubledown1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #105
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
i meant no disrespect, im being realistic. i am 21, and mindbomber is the most intelligent first native ive come across. call me sheltered, but i am speaking from my own experience.

edit : i read this post again and realized how upset you were about my post. i felt kinda bad at first, but then i understand now that youre actually mad at reality. yah, im not gonna backpeddle what i said because you know what? if at the back of my mind i recall these experiences but i "back peddle" when i discuss this with other people, whats the point of discussion? this is a forum after all, and they are created to bring about discussion about various topics. you hate the fact that ive not met other first nations ppl like mindbomber? its one thing to be respectful, and its another to be pratical when we're discussing. i do not condone using racial slurs because it truly is discriminatory.

i tell mindbomber that its in his own best interest to not pursue educating others because i dont think hes using his time well. im not looking down on his efforts, im looking down on how well ppl will absorb the material. people generalize. its normal to generalize, but at the same time the norm is wrong. i dont believe this stigma will last indefinitely, i just know for the time being, the stigma will stick.

people who will agree with me are the ones that see the world as it is. people who dont, such as yourself, are the ones who try to see the world in a better light. the ones who that thinks everyone should be treated fairly, who think nobody should be receiving the shorter end of the stick. truth is, the world is not anywhere close to that. i support the first nations in ridding themselves of their negative image, there is nothing wrong with that. martin luther king himself needed the support and determination of his people in order to fight for their rights. in our case, if mindbomber wants society to think otherwise, there needs to be a collective effort from his people in order to make his "educations" to not go to waste.
Just for the record, I was a bit offended by the assertion that an intelligent First Nations person is a rare exception to the rule, but I was not offended to the post overall. I recognize that you had honest and good intentions with what you wrote, you just worded things a bit poorly and perhaps have slightly misguided views, but that's all.

A concentration of First Nations people struggling with addiction in the DTES is easily observed and leaves a powerful impression in ones mind, and it is the only impression many Vancouverites actually have of First Nations people. More First Nations people do struggle with addiction than members of other races, and there's a number of reasons behind that. All First Nations people are not addicts however, the majority of First Nations people are very intelligent and productive members of society, you just haven't had the opportunity to interact with them.
MindBomber is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #106
So I had to give him the three piece with the soda
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,012
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
As well, I have NEVER seen someone put "because chink" and get away with it.
reminds me of stores like san francisco that sold signs & tshirts that say:
"if you chink don't drive"
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #107
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
Go live in Alberta and Saskatchewan for a few months.

I guarantee that you will despise them when you come back. Used to live in the Prairies way back, these people can't even hold on to a 50 dollar bill, just gets blown on alcohol, and then they go stealing wheels and cigarettes.

I vote for Gleichen, Alberta.
Just for the record...THIS^^ is the kind of shit that I just write off as a douche. Totally unreachable. He'll be a racist for life. You can introduce this guy to university educated first nations people and it won't matter...its the alcolholic in saskatchewan that shaped his mind.

Sad.
Gridlock is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #108
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: na
Posts: 122
Thanked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Yes he is basically the Ho that can't be turned into a housewife, for lack of better words.
Doubledown1 is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #109
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
Theres way to many people getting butt-hurt in this thread.....do you honestly think you're going to change peoples mind by venting your idology over the internet??
You guys need to grow thicker skin.

Maybe its just me...but imho ( I interact with a lot of first nations; I work in the food industry) they're not the brightest people around. Granted that I am sure there is some very well educated ones; just the ones I have met over the 12 yrs of being in the food industry are not something I would say "Smart".
It is unfortunate that the ratio of good/bad is huge.

edit: I would like to hear your explaination as to why you are failing me dinosaur; i was sharing my experience that I had with one type of ethnic group.
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."

Last edited by Supafly; 05-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Supafly is offline  
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #110
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
extracrunchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina
Posts: 534
Thanked 251 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
some food for thought - not really related to this but you can draw a similar comparison:

say a city is hiring firefighters. say there are 2 resumes on the table of the hiring manager. one guy is white, the other is black. because of political pressure for racial equality, the manager decides to hire the black man simply because of his skin color, though his resume and physical fitness is inferior to the white applicant. so it's a question of which is more important: the best man for the job, or the best mix of colors on the workforce.

of course thats not the topic here but i'm sure it's easy to draw some parallels from this example.. as in the justice system should be fair to EVERYBODY regardless of race. judge equally.
The fact is there is no perfect harmony, using your example if the 'white' man was hired by a 'white' person. The thought of racial discrimination is in play and in their mind they would have never thought of qualification.

Rather 'they are only hiring their own kind.' But situations like this is everywhere. As a government they try to build equality yet there are a few people out there that believe "hey they are taking our job" and starts with the racial slur.

Its a double edged sword I'm afraid. Same with men and women equality in a worksite.
extracrunchie is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #111
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Theres way to many people getting butt-hurt in this thread.....do you honestly think you're going to change peoples mind by venting your idology over the internet??
You guys need to grow thicker skin.

Maybe its just me...but imho ( I interact with a lot of first nations; I work in the food industry) they're not the brightest people around. Granted that I am sure there is some very well educated ones; just the ones I have met over the 12 yrs of being in the food industry are not something I would say "Smart".
It is unfortunate that the ratio of good/bad is huge.
Yeah....maybe it is just you...or maybe it is just the food industry? maybe people who work in the food industry are generally "not the brightest people around".

Look, I can sit here and spout off all the interactions I have had over 10 years of working directly with FN communities in my career (Archaeologist with a degree in Arch and FN Studies) and give you example over example to tear your argument to shreds.

but....alas, you can't argue with stupid.
dinosaur is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #112
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Yeah....maybe it is just you...or maybe it is just the food industry? maybe people who work in the food industry are generally "not the brightest people around".

Look, I can sit here and spout off all the interactions I have had over 10 years of working directly with FN communities in my career (Archaeologist with a degree in Arch and FN Studies) and give you example over example to tear your argument to shreds.

but....alas, you can't argue with stupid.
Ha, I like how you begin to start personal attacks...very mature. You are right... "you can't argue with stupid"....because when its programmed into their DNA, nothing can't beat it.

cheers.
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #113
look at these diamonds, they shining
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown1 View Post
I'm astounded by your moronic ignorance.
explain? i honestly think ur ignorant for calling me ignorant
Drow is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #114
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Ha, I like how you begin to start personal attacks...very mature. You are right... "you can't argue with stupid"....because when its programmed into their DNA, nothing can't beat it.

cheers.
you don't understand.

I used the "food industry" as an example of a community of people and a generalization that can be made whether it is true or not. Get it?

All softball players are alcoholics...
All people who live in Surrey are on welfare...
All asian people are bad drivers...
All women are emotional...
All people who work in the food industry are dumb...
All natives are stupid...

You can do it with any community regardless of race/ethnicity/gender/community, etc.

You don't get it.
dinosaur is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #115
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Yeah....maybe it is just you...or maybe it is just the food industry? maybe people who work in the food industry are generally "not the brightest people around".
just FYI, I have a degree in mechanical engineering, a degree in food science, and enough certificates to put you to shame.

edit:

You are correct to some certain extent "maybe people who work in the food industry are generally not the brightest people around"....because its the first nations people that are constantly raping the rivers for "food/ritual fish" then try to sell it out the back of their pickup trucks while DFO is parked across the street monitoring them.

Im not here to look for a fight...Im just mearly stating -MY- experience, in one industry. You can either choose to ignore it; or read it with a grain of salt.
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."

Last edited by Supafly; 05-18-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Supafly is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #116
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
just FYI, I have a degree in mechanical engineering, a degree in food science, and enough certificates to put you to shame.
So...you found that insulting, then? Ya know...me...grouping people together and making an insulting generalization about everyone based on a couple examples.

interesting.
dinosaur is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #117
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
just FYI, I have a degree in mechanical engineering, a degree in food science, and enough certificates to put you to shame.
Can we keep the degree smashing and personal attacks out of this thread, please.

The discussion has merit and it would be unfortunate if the thread were locked.
MindBomber is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #118
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
spyker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Of Fire
Posts: 1,166
Thanked 623 Times in 252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
just FYI, I have a degree in mechanical engineering, a degree in food science, and enough certificates to put you to shame.
All those years of schooling and all those degrees,yet you still came out narrow minded.

Have you ever thought that if you treat people with some respect,they will act differently around you.Treat them like a dumbass and they will act like a dumbass towards you.
spyker is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #119
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
MoBettah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 403-604
Posts: 356
Thanked 209 Times in 64 Posts
You cannot help a people who don't want to help themselves.
MoBettah is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #120
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
All those years of schooling and all those degrees,yet you still came out narrow minded.

Have you ever thought that if you treat people with some respect,they will act differently around you.Treat them like a dumbass and they will act like a dumbass towards you.
I may have a narrow mind, and I do accept it to a certain degree..but honestly; who doesn't have a narrow mind to an extent?

I treat people with the same amount of respect that I am given...although I do have to show more respect sometimes to due my job status.

You dont get something for nothing; in our feild; the customer is not always right.
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #121
So I had to give him the three piece with the soda
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,012
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Can we keep the degree smashing and personal attacks out of this thread, please.

The discussion has merit and it would be unfortunate if the thread were locked.
you know the discussion is going south fast when people start whipping out their degrees
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #122
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
you know the discussion is going south fast when people start whipping out their degrees


I have a PhD in being AWESOME and KICKING ASS!!
dinosaur is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #123
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: na
Posts: 122
Thanked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
explain? i honestly think ur ignorant for calling me ignorant
Just put a sock in it............................ KID.
Doubledown1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #124
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
explain? i honestly think ur ignorant for calling me ignorant
Son, your post was the pure definition of ignorance. Casting a pre-disposed opinion on an entire group of people based on your vast, I'm sure experience with natives near and far is the definition of the term.

I read your explanations after, and I don't mean to keep pounding you, but what you really need to do is sit back, open your mind a bit and learn.

I mean no offense by this, but you are 21 my friend-you don't know shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Can we keep the degree smashing and personal attacks out of this thread, please.
I only have a diploma in business mgmt...does that mean I can't take part anymore?
Gridlock is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #125
look at these diamonds, they shining
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown1 View Post
Just put a sock in it............................ KID.
i see. cant put up an argument. you remind me of some religious ppl who cannot debate and just call you out with no reason because they are incompetent of doing so, because they are just "right".............. DOUBLEDOWNS
Drow is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net