REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #401
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Never tried, but read here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Your card should be listed on one of those networks in the above to be able to use the ATMs. I try not to add more things to do when I'm traveling so I would just exchange everything in advance.
Advertisement
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #402
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

used Amex quite a few times. rates were better even compared to VBCE, (vbce is better than exchanging in Jpn)

Amex > VBCE > exchange in Japan
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #403
G
Banned (BBM)

I exchanged money at the airport and got ripped off. Their rates suck! If you can, try to exchange more out into the city, or use your credit card. My credit card actually gave me the best rate than anything I saw in Japan.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #404
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Has anyone successfully used their debit card to withdraw money from a Japanese ATM, specifically Coast Capital's? Or does it make more sense to convert some cash here and then convert the remainder of CAD when I arrive at the airport? I'm concerned that if my debit card is a no go, I'll be way short on funds compared to getting all my money when I get there.
Find out what network it's on, and go from there. Exchanging cash like it's 1960 is a good way to waste time and get ripped off with shitty rates

Actually come to think of it, using cash itself seems so outdated now. ESPECIALLY for traveling
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #405
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i converted a bunch of cash before i went. only card i used while i was there was my Suica lol

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #406
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
It's surprising that CC rates are actually not that ugly. My debit card is on Cirrus, but not being one of the Big Five banks had me concerned that it wouldn't work. But considering I carry both MC/Visa, I have a fallback.

Ideally getting 20,000 JPY in Canada to at least get around, and withdraw the rest in the country is a better idea?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #407
I am Hook'd on RS

Yup, that's the way to do it. I used the 7-11/Post office ATMs with both TD and RBC debit cards, but anything with a cirrus/plus logo works. Your bank may charge a fee, mine was $5 a transaction. I would take out a lump sum of cash once a week while there.

I used a credit card for larger purchases/hotels if possible. I used a Rogers MC, 4% cashback on foreign currency purchases (1.5% when you account for their 2.5% fee).
This card.
Fido has a similar card with no annual fee

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #408
My homepage has been set to RS

I had no issues with Tangerine, via Network. The fee wasn't much and there's so many atms at the 7-11s or Lawsons or Post Office.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
It's surprising that CC rates are actually not that ugly. My debit card is on Cirrus, but not being one of the Big Five banks had me concerned that it wouldn't work. But considering I carry both MC/Visa, I have a fallback.

Ideally getting 20,000 JPY in Canada to at least get around, and withdraw the rest in the country is a better idea?
Cirrus will be easy since you have post offices and 7-11 EVERYWHERE. Also Citibank. Those are the places I'd go to all the time. Transfer fees were about $5 IIRC (HSBC was free when using an HSBC machine worldwide which was nice)

As long as your bank itself doesn't block international withdrawals, they'll be fine. It might be a good idea to tell them you're travelling. I know in HK it's policy to block international withdrawals until you enable it manually before a trip (you can do so through the ATM so it's not bad). That's govt law, but some banks may have similar policies.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #410
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Cirrus will be easy since you have post offices and 7-11 EVERYWHERE. Also Citibank. Those are the places I'd go to all the time. Transfer fees were about $5 IIRC (HSBC was free when using an HSBC machine worldwide which was nice)

As long as your bank itself doesn't block international withdrawals, they'll be fine. It might be a good idea to tell them you're travelling. I know in HK it's policy to block international withdrawals until you enable it manually before a trip (you can do so through the ATM so it's not bad). That's govt law, but some banks may have similar policies.
Yeah, I've set a travel notification with my bank and it's pretty much an "OK, got it" kind of thing. Some companies require it, others like Capital One trust their system enough to not need it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #411
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Carried cash and used amazon Visa when I went to Japan. One thing to note when withdrawing money is your daily withdrawal limit. When I went backpacking through Europe, I used an atm in Germany(one of their big banks on the cirrus network). Tried withdrawing something like €400(approx. $600). But kept getting declined. I remember telling the bank I was traveling to these countries on these certain dates. Had to go through some hoops to call my bank while overseas, and found out that they did put a note that I would be traveling, but didn't mention to me that my daily withdrawal limit was set at like $200 or something low. Thus my €400 transaction kept getting declined.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #412
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thats so sneaky of bank to maximize their profit in the name of "security"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Carried cash and used amazon Visa when I went to Japan. One thing to note when withdrawing money is your daily withdrawal limit. When I went backpacking through Europe, I used an atm in Germany(one of their big banks on the cirrus network). Tried withdrawing something like €400(approx. $600). But kept getting declined. I remember telling the bank I was traveling to these countries on these certain dates. Had to go through some hoops to call my bank while overseas, and found out that they did put a note that I would be traveling, but didn't mention to me that my daily withdrawal limit was set at like $200 or something low. Thus my €400 transaction kept getting declined.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #413
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Good point! For past trips I've been able to get the daily limit raised quite high ($1500-$2000), though they can be somewhat reluctant. They can do it for a temporary period as well.

cheers
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #414
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

can anyone recommend a prepaid data sim card?
areyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #415
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyez View Post
can anyone recommend a prepaid data sim card?
I used a Sakura Mobile data sim, operates under the Docomo(one of or is the largest 4G network) network so I never had issues with connectivity across Japan. I believe you have to order this one online and can be picked up at a post offices such as the one near Tokyo Station which opens later than the airport ones. And then you mail the sim back at any mailbox with the included envelope, such as the airport mailbox right before you go through security.

https://www.sakuramobile.jp/pricing/
Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #416
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'm heading out there next week and found bMobile to be fairly cheap as well. Also on Docomo network

Purchase page | b-mobile VISITOR SIM
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #417
I am Hook'd on RS

I used this one:

https://t.iijmio.jp/en/

2GB/3months and was ~$45. Bought it en route on the ANA flight to Tokyo, easy to set up and worked perfect. I used a North American market iPhone 6 (A1549), and even though it's not on their compatible list, I had no issues.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #418
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Does anyone know the process to work in Japan as a Professional?
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #419
"Entertainment" mod.

Going to be using Telus Easy Roam. Full plan access with calls back to Canada and in the country, and 10 dollars a day offsets the cost of renting pocket wi-fi.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #420
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Anyone been to the Honda Collection museum at Motegi? I'm in Tokyo in late April and it's a 3 hour trek each way to see it. I'm a big Honda fan boy but this will surely test the patience and good will of my wife.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #421

Be careful with the word "museum" in Japan, its general meaning is just a room with some things in it. This can be literally a room with some things in it, or an actual museum that you may be expecting.

I can't say anything about the Honda Museum, so it is good that you're looking for information on it first before planning a trip out there.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #422
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Anyone been to the Honda Collection museum at Motegi? I'm in Tokyo in late April and it's a 3 hour trek each way to see it. I'm a big Honda fan boy but this will surely test the patience and good will of my wife.

I just went in January. If you are a big Honda fan boy, you should plan forsure. I choose to rent an Evo 9 Wagon and drove to Motegi from Shinjuku instead of taking trains and bus. Cheapest way to rent a car would be from Toyota-Rent-a-car in Tokyo. They also have a cruise the track with your own car for 3000yen. It is a lead and follow format.

!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #423
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Does anyone know the process to work in Japan as a Professional?
I believe if you're under 30 you'll have a way better chance getting a work visa. You'll also need to find a sponsor for your visa. This is from what I remember when I looked into it.

The Japanese embassy in Vancouver will be your best resource.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #424
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Anyone wonna give me some tips?

Do i need JR pass for 7 days or 14?

Will be staying on the West side for one week

Osaka
Otsu
nara
Kyoto
etc

one week in Tokyo

than back to Osaka to fly back

thank you

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel

Last edited by DHP 1; 05-03-2018 at 10:40 AM.
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #425
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
You only need it when you are travelling outside of Tokyo. When you land in Japan you can specify when you want your one week to start. So you should start it the first day you train out to Kansai.

If you happen to be out there past 7 days then, you'll need 14...
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote