REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #276
My homepage has been set to RS

For people who have been: Ryokan in Hakone or Kyoto?
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #277
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Been to both. I would go to Hakone for the springs for sure just to try. Kyoto if you wanna see other stuff besides springs. Hakone is definitely expensive and it's not as accessible. that is, you'll need to change to the local private train line to get in. Kuro ramen, and kuro tamago (black ramen, black hard boiled eggs) tastes just like the normal variants so taking the cable car for me is simply for the sights and landscape.

Hakone is less catering to tourist as it's really country-side like. Kyoto is still a metropolitan area where you can do a lot and is surrounded by things to see. I went to Arashiyama and that is possibly one of the most beautiful little towns I've been to with the bamboo forest. they also have bike rentals that you can bike around the small town on.

Last edited by ZN6; 03-04-2017 at 08:06 PM.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #278
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i was in Arashiyama at night and i agree.. super beautiful...

Togetsukyou Bridge is beautiful at night. got there pretty late in the day so didn't get a chance to see that area in full swing.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #279
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Time to head back tot he drawing board!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #280
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
What is the question?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #281
VAC Head Rotang Mod

i think he's asking which location would be better

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #282

It's like saying what restaurant would you choose: One in Vancouver, or one in Victoria? Totally different places... Hakone is a hot spring village with only a few things to do (not that they aren't fun things to do).

Kyoto is one of the largest cities in the country, the former capital, with tons of different things to do.

And in both of them, ryokan service would range quite a bit. Kyoto would go quite a bit lower, offering very basic amenities, since it's not purely a tourist attraction like Hakone is.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Been to both. I would go to Hakone for the springs for sure just to try. Kyoto if you wanna see other stuff besides springs. Hakone is definitely expensive and it's not as accessible. that is, you'll need to change to the local private train line to get in. Kuro ramen, and kuro tamago (black ramen, black hard boiled eggs) tastes just like the normal variants so taking the cable car for me is simply for the sights and landscape.

Hakone is less catering to tourist as it's really country-side like. Kyoto is still a metropolitan area where you can do a lot and is surrounded by things to see. I went to Arashiyama and that is possibly one of the most beautiful little towns I've been to with the bamboo forest. they also have bike rentals that you can bike around the small town on.
Thanks for the post. Yeah I think we're leaning towards staying in Hakone one or two nights in a ryokan -- we really just wanted to experience a ryokan and weren't sure if we should choose Kyoto or Hakone since they are quite expensive. We'll still be heading to Kyoto but basing out of Osaka and doing a day trip there.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #284
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the post. Yeah I think we're leaning towards staying in Hakone one or two nights in a ryokan -- we really just wanted to experience a ryokan and weren't sure if we should choose Kyoto or Hakone since they are quite expensive. We'll still be heading to Kyoto but basing out of Osaka and doing a day trip there.
One is good. Two is a waste. Much more to see and do elsewhere. If you are using Osaka as a starting point hiroshima is a great historic place to visit. Osaka itself is a place I love for the food.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #285

Quote:
If you're based out of Osaka and not going near Tokyo, then Hakone is way too far to consider.

You could get similar hot spring experiences to Hakone all throughout Japan. Even in Kyoto you can make a day trip out to a hot spring, stay at a Ryokan or not, and head back to your base hotel. They really are everywhere!

Hakone is super popular due to its proximity to Tokyo, I actually prefer the more rural hot springs.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If you're based out of Osaka and not going near Tokyo, then Hakone is way too far to consider.

You could get similar hot spring experiences to Hakone all throughout Japan. Even in Kyoto you can make a day trip out to a hot spring, stay at a Ryokan or not, and head back to your base hotel. They really are everywhere!

Hakone is super popular due to its proximity to Tokyo, I actually prefer the more rural hot springs.
Sorry didn't explain my full itinerary there lol. When im going to Kyoto I'll be based in Osaka but before heading to Hakone I'll be in Tokyo for a week.

Tokyo --> Hakone --> Osaka --> Kyoto/Kobe day trips (preliminary itinerary so far)

Yeah I'm going to look into some of small towns around Kyoto/Osaka as well to see if we can find a decent ryokan around there.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #287
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
If you are going to be in Kobe... we went to Arima Onsen and enjoyed it.

It's further out of the city in the mountains, but with easy public transit options.

Mind you, it's a small onsen town out of Kobe... so there's nothing much to do except the onsen (there was a buckwheat noodle shop that's pretty good)... you have a commercial strip that's 3-4 blocks... and that's it. We were there as a stop to get away from all the city thing from Kyoto/Osaka... so it worked out great!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #288
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
In Hakone, we stayed at the Ryokan Fukuzumiro - 2 nights, It's a bit rustic and storied (lots of history behind it) but I recommend it as far as a first time Ryokan experience. I'm sure there's much nicer ones for much more $$$.

That being said, I liked the fact that we could just stay in and enjoy the place as we pretty much did all the sightseeing in Hakone in one day and could just relax.

If you're in Kyoto you may want to see a lot more things (because there are) so you might not enjoy the Ryokan as much as you like.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
In Hakone, we stayed at the Ryokan Fukuzumiro - 2 nights, It's a bit rustic and storied (lots of history behind it) but I recommend it as far as a first time Ryokan experience. I'm sure there's much nicer ones for much more $$$.

That being said, I liked the fact that we could just stay in and enjoy the place as we pretty much did all the sightseeing in Hakone in one day and could just relax.

If you're in Kyoto you may want to see a lot more things (because there are) so you might not enjoy the Ryokan as much as you like.
Thanks for the recommendation. Thats in the price range we're looking for.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #290

Does anyone here have a hook up to booking Sushi Saito? Not staying at a hotel so won't have a concierge to book a reso for us...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #291
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Anyone have experience with this data-only sim? Details on 5GB / 21Days Prepaid Data SIM card | b-mobile VISITOR SIM
Seems to be the best price out there.

The pocket wifi would be around $120 CAD vs like $45 CAD for this visitor data-only sim. Would be nice to not have to carry around an additional device, and just use my dual sim phone. One less thing to charge at night too.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #292
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

If you want to do pocket wifi in japan, I recommend this:
iVideo 150 countries wifi router?pocket wifi japan?japan wifi?japan pocket wifi?portable wifi hotspot rental,Lowest Price Just $0.79 per day!Pokemon go plus watch rental

Get the softbank device, Monthly Fee (31 days) :35 USD​ (plus $10 USD for shipping/returning post office fees). They are uncapped with no throttling of speeds. I used them recently and had good experience. Look at the coupon discount section for more savings.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Anyone have experience with this data-only sim? Details on 5GB / 21Days Prepaid Data SIM card | b-mobile VISITOR SIM
Seems to be the best price out there.

The pocket wifi would be around $120 CAD vs like $45 CAD for this visitor data-only sim. Would be nice to not have to carry around an additional device, and just use my dual sim phone. One less thing to charge at night too.
Pocket wifi should be much cheaper than that. Shop around
Old 03-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #294

^ The reason its that high is because I need it for 14/15 days. At something like $8 CAD per day I'm seeing.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #295
VAC Head Rotang Mod

from www.econnectjapan.com

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #296
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ I paid 8270yen for 12 days for 75Mpbs wifi pocket your seems to be a better deal.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
Yea I looked at that already, but the problem is it says sold out for all the days I want it for anyways.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #298

Rental a Pocket Wifiin Japan, the best Pocket Wifi rental Service in Jpan: Global Advanced Communications

Keep shopping around

Also you don't need high speed. It's going to be slow anyway, and if you're just using it for things like google maps, the basic 4g or even 3g is all you need. If you try downloading or streaming you'll probably run into cap issues with these providers.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #299

^^ on your website I went with the 75Mbps standard model. Guess i should went with the ECO Wifi instead...... I was considering the ECO Wifi but the battery left doesn't seem that long and I will be out most of the day so I figure I need something that last longer.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #300
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ on your website I went with the 75Mbps standard model. Guess i should went with the ECO Wifi instead...... I was considering the ECO Wifi but the battery left doesn't seem that long and I will be out most of the day so I figure I need something that last longer.
before i left, i had redeemed my NCIX points for one of these. i never ran out of battery and i was keeping my phone and my wifi topped up all day. i think the lowest i got was like 20%.

and even to buy this thing is pretty cheap.

one caveat though, it's big, and it's heavy haha.

Linke Smartcharger 20000MAH External Battery Power Bank With LCD Battery Level 5V-2.1A - LKPB-635 - NCIX.com

it says dual 2.1A output, but it's 1x2.1A and 1x1.0A

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote: