REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #151
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
they love tentacles ???
Advertisement
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #152
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Has anyone been to Tokyo during Golden Week? Trying to get an idea of how busy it will be. Thanks!
I went during silver week last year and it was crazy trying to book hotels. I didn't know it was silver week at the time, and I was planning on going to hiroshima...but couldn't find any hotels <$300 CAD a night. So we ended up just going for a day trip from Osaka.

Golden Week I can only assume is worse.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #153
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Has anyone been to Tokyo during Golden Week? Trying to get an idea of how busy it will be. Thanks!
Golden Week in Tokyo is the opposite of what I'd expected. When I went in '07 it was empty as many people left the city to go on vacation. However, I wouldn't take this as scripture, YMMV.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #154
G
Banned (BBM)

Anyone have recommendations for AirBNB or hotels in Japan? Specifically Kyoto and Tokyo? Also, any traditional type of accommodations with private onsens and stuff, if so where in Japan?

Thinking of going in Mid November, would weather already be colder there?

Thanks!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #155
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,920 Times in 582 Posts
Highly recommend Hakone Ginyu for a ryokan experience. We went in the winter and the climate was perfect for an experience like that. Spring or summer may be too hot. November would be nice.

For airbnb we stayed at:
Osaka:
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/4813116
and
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/3929000
Both are a lot roomier than other places I staying in Japan.

In Tokyo, they've all been tiny cramped units and i couldnt really recommend any.
We stayed here:
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/3530743
and it was convenient as it was a 2 min walk from Meguro station on the Yamanote line.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #156
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
I went late October last year and it was still very warm but not uncomfortable. Like mid-high 20's.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #157
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
cheapest place locally to pick up an exchange order for JR rail pass?
looks like there's no online option through official channels...they only list travel agents.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #158
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Both have Vancouver offices:
KIE Canada | Travel
JTB CANADA WEB

Also heard most travel agencies can get it like Silkway etc. pricing will vary depending what exchange rate they want to use.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #159
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
got it at silkway
they said they process all the JR passes in lower mainland so if you get it another agency it'll still get processed at the JTB head office so this ended up being the fastest route in case anyone's ever in a bind.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #160
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

got mine from here

went back for a visit in march

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?cur...hs4aAttH8P8HAQ
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:58 AM   #161
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,920 Times in 582 Posts
JAL has just realized the "Explorer Pass". 10800JPY per flight.
JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Might be a good option if you're not going to utilize the train.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #162
G
Banned (BBM)

Hey guys,

Would you guys recommend getting a JR pass if I am just travelling within the Tokyo Region (around 4-5 days), and also the Kyoto region (around 2-3 days)?

I am trying to figure out if its worth it given I will need bullet train to Kyoto from Tokyo and also transit to NRT airport.

Would the pass be worth?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #163
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Hey guys,

Would you guys recommend getting a JR pass if I am just travelling within the Tokyo Region (around 4-5 days), and also the Kyoto region (around 2-3 days)?

I am trying to figure out if its worth it given I will need bullet train to Kyoto from Tokyo and also transit to NRT airport.

Would the pass be worth?
Yes. Pass is definitely worth it if you take the bullet train half way across the country and back. You can also go to hiroshima, and osaka with JR Pass. It starts paying for itself if you can find and use JR designated Lines. Yamanote line can get you to the most important parts of Tokyo and the JR pass lets you ride that line without extra charge (Shibuya, shinjuku, ueno, tokyo station [connects with bullet train and has those awesome bento box lunches], Akihabara, ikebukuro and shinagawa are the most important stops imo).
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #164
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Yes. Pass is definitely worth it if you take the bullet train half way across the country and back. You can also go to hiroshima, and osaka with JR Pass. It starts paying for itself if you can find and use JR designated Lines. Yamanote line can get you to the most important parts of Tokyo and the JR pass lets you ride that line without extra charge (Shibuya, shinjuku, ueno, tokyo station [connects with bullet train and has those awesome bento box lunches], Akihabara, ikebukuro and shinagawa are the most important stops imo).
Thanks for the info!

Do you know if the 7 day pass is based on the actual day?

So if I started using it on the 12th, would I be able to use it the whole day on the 19th? or is it calculated like 168 Hour duration nothing more nothing less?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #165
ZN6

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

So if I started using it on the 12th, would I be able to use it the whole day on the 19th? or is it calculated like 168 Hour duration nothing more nothing less?

Thanks!
Based on actual day. If it's your first time there you'll notice how everything is very exact there. When I go visit for 10 days, I activate my JR pass at the JR booth on the 3rd day there for my 7 day pass so I can get back to tokyo from osaka on my last day via shinkansen.

The timing of all the trains are pretty exact down to the minute.

Also, JR pass will not work for most lines that go to and from NRT. I think there was one line that JR pass can be used but takes a long time. I usually go through HND. Faster, more accessible. I only went to NRT once to fly home. Sunday trains were on and off so it took a long time to get there. Will always go HND from now on.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #166
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Thanks!
The JR pass is based on the actual day so lets say u started using it at 10pm on the 12th, that would still count as a day and would expire on the 19th at 11:59pm
jzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #167
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Based on actual day. If it's your first time there you'll notice how everything is very exact there. When I go visit for 10 days, I activate my JR pass at the JR booth on the 3rd day there for my 7 day pass so I can get back to tokyo from osaka on my last day via shinkansen.

The timing of all the trains are pretty exact down to the minute.

Also, JR pass will not work for most lines that go to and from NRT. I think there was one line that JR pass can be used but takes a long time. I usually go through HND. Faster, more accessible. I only went to NRT once to fly home. Sunday trains were on and off so it took a long time to get there. Will always go HND from now on.
There is a direct line u can use the JR pass to get to and from NRT which is a express train that would take u to tokyo station and some of the other stations along the JR yamanote line.
jzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #168
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
If I am staying in tokyo only for 3 days, is it better to jsut use suica only?

My hotel is at shiodome .. train or bus limo from NRT?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #169
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
If I am staying in tokyo only for 3 days, is it better to jsut use suica only?

My hotel is at shiodome .. train or bus limo from NRT?
Suica card is sufficient if you are purely transiting within tokyo. If you are leaving from NRT to your hotel, prices vary a lot. From 2300¥ up to ¥6000 for a train depending on the speed you choose. Obviously, the faster the more expensive. All I know is the weekend trains are very infrequent and takes a long ass time. Sometimes the train will switch out and you have to get off. My cousin asked me why the hell I cheaped out and it eats up like an extra hour or more of time over the faster express lines.

Word of advice, take the express. JR pass is only not worth it if you do not take the shinkansen.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #170
G
Banned (BBM)

Wow, thanks for all the feedback.

So if I were to go from NRT to Tokyo, then travel around Tokyo, then bullet train to Kyoto and bullet train back to Tokyo and in the end NRT. The JR pass should be #worth right?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #171

you would be able to ride the NEX from narita to tokyo, and tokyo to narita with the pass(4000yen round trip). the pass is only good for the slowest of the 3 bullet trains(10,000ish yen each way), it is also not good for some of the railway lines in the cities, and buses. kyoto doesnt really have any jr lines going to tourist attractions. so you might want to get kyoto city bus and subway pass. 1200yen for 1 day or 2000yen for 2 days
also check for renovations prior to going to places. kiyomizudera was under construction for a year, not sure if its done yet
G
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #172
G
Banned (BBM)

So rough estimate, 24,000 yen based on NEX and Bullet Train. I think the pass is around $350ish, would you recommend getting it if I am in Tokyo for around 4-5 days and Kyoto for 1-2 days? Roughly around 7 days to fully utilize the JR pass if its worth it. If it's not really that worth it we might stay an extra 1-2 days in Tokyo...
Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #173
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
So rough estimate, 24,000 yen based on NEX and Bullet Train. I think the pass is around $350ish, would you recommend getting it if I am in Tokyo for around 4-5 days and Kyoto for 1-2 days? Roughly around 7 days to fully utilize the JR pass if its worth it. If it's not really that worth it we might stay an extra 1-2 days in Tokyo...
You will probably spend over $50 in Tokyo in 4-5 days, but depending on where you go, much of that may be via Metro and other lines not covered. Still it's probably worth it overall.

JR Pass is useless once you get to Kyoto, except maybe for a day trip to Osaka or Kobe, but you're only there 2 days so...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #174
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You will probably spend over $50 in Tokyo in 4-5 days, but depending on where you go, much of that may be via Metro and other lines not covered. Still it's probably worth it overall.

JR Pass is useless once you get to Kyoto, except maybe for a day trip to Osaka or Kobe, but you're only there 2 days so...
Thanks!

Yea, Kyoto has a couple things on our list that we want to see/do and it will most likely take 2 days 1 night max.

Most of our time would spent in Tokyo exploring all the usual touristy spots.

Thanks for everyone's input! Now the question is.... wheres the best place to buy the JR pass in Van? I saw a couple links in this thread, but the only place that stuck out was Silkway?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #175
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
I got mine from here 2 years ago:
https://canada.kiecan.com/en/japan-rail-pass/

Office on W Pender Street downtown. Prices had pretty much no markup, you only lose on the exchange rate.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: