REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #251
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ thanks! I look at some AirBnB 30 to 50 dollars night and the host seems to have lot's of good review. Is not too bad.

Plane ticket seems a bit expensive at the monent will have to see if there are cheaper ones. As far as money wise after hotel/plane ticket will $1500CAD be enough for food, transit, fare? Or I should plan more? Won't really be drinking much since this is a solo trip.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #252
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i just paid about 350$ for my JR pass, i got an AirBnB in tokyo for the 5 days i'll be there, basically as a place to store stuff and to have a place to sleep for the first couple days, i'll be spending a day in kyoto (capsule hotel just to say i did), a day in osaka (staying in a proper hotel that's part of the Shin-Osaka station, and then back to tokyo to fly out.

i'm going by myself so it's going to be a test of how much i can get done in as little time as possible, haha.

definitely will be the first of many trips, hence the shorter span.

Happysilp: how much were your plane tickets? in january i bought return tickets for mid feb @ $730 i think it was.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #253
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I guess I should start planning my trip..
Or do everything last minute like my most recent solo trip.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #254
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,805 Times in 3,900 Posts
BTW, I've noticed in Japan people seem totally OK with waiting for the popular eateries. You're probably thinking 30-45min no biggie? Lines can easily be 1-2 hours. I don't have that kind of patience or time in my travel so I would not hesitate to eat at another place around the corner, that's probably just as good as the famous ones.

How much money you should budget, really depends. For food just don't expect similar pricing to Taiwan or Korea or many times even Vancouver (I always forget how competitive our food scene is here). Worth it though. Off-topic now but I still feel the food culture and atmosphere in Korea is superior to Japan's.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-08-2017 at 10:02 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #255
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
^

TBH, unless you are trying something that's one of kind, I don't think the wait is worth it. If you absolutely must go, try going some odd hours where you don't face the same crazy line-up at peak.

During my recent trip to Kansai area, we visited a few highly popular eateries (always odd hours) and I thought they were good... but hardly great.

Something I did find interesting though was the smaller yet old places away from the major commercial areas. There were a few Izakayas and restaurants near the airBnB we were staying, and we went to many of them to find that they had at least 80-90% of the taste of the famous places. The key is for them to be old. If they have been in the area long enough, they shouldn't be too bad.

Granted many of them don't cater foreigners at all, so you'd need some basic Japanese and Google Translate to order. But many of the eateries only serve no more than 4-5 items. A ramen shop right outside of the place we stayed serves only 2 kinds of ramen (really just one... the second one just have additional meat), gyoza and fried rice. So, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to figure everything out.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #256

oh i did go at odd hours (was trying to get in the tuna auction at 430am...was told they met their 120 vistor quota at 330am LOL)

so I went to line up for breakfast...still waited over 3 hours. The food was great and the experience was nice, but i would've been happier sleeping a bit and lining up an hour max instead at a less popular place.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #257
VAC Head Rotang Mod

i'm impatient lol so i'll likely just find somewhere that either has a minimal or no wait haha.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #258
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
^understatement of the century >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
i just paid about 350$ for my JR pass, i got an AirBnB in tokyo for the 5 days i'll be there, basically as a place to store stuff and to have a place to sleep for the first couple days, i'll be spending a day in kyoto (capsule hotel just to say i did), a day in osaka (staying in a proper hotel that's part of the Shin-Osaka station, and then back to tokyo to fly out.

i'm going by myself so it's going to be a test of how much i can get done in as little time as possible, haha.

definitely will be the first of many trips, hence the shorter span.

Happysilp: how much were your plane tickets? in january i bought return tickets for mid feb @ $730 i think it was.
1 day in Kyoto and Osaka isn't worth it. especially since the jr pass isn't the nozomi. 4hrs just on travel, and early closing times/extra closures at most tourist spots if its still their winter hours.

if its only 7 dayys, fuck fancy restaurants. ichiran for ramen, matsuya/yoshinoya/sukiya for dons, coco for curry. torikizoku/torijiro/yama chan(izakayas) for yakitori/chicken. all ok for single travelers, izakays a bit more but all generally cheap and better tasting than what you can get in Vancouver. first kitchen(fukku)/lotteria/saizeria for cheap western food. hanbey izakaya for retro japan feel

Last edited by dbaz; 02-09-2017 at 05:28 PM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #260
HELP ME PLS!!!

Tokyo also has the Ghibli museum.

As a solo traveller, staying in hostels is the way to go, as long as you dont mind shared sleeping spaces and bathrooms. Then again, you'll probably want to try an Onsen.

agoda.com is the hostel site to search if that's your route. I'd also try the capsule hotel just to see what it's like.

Some other suggestions:
-Kamahara beach
-Tsukiji Market + Suishi Dai (people have been known to line up at 2 am for the 5 am opening for this joint)
-Tokyo tower
-Odaiba, Gundam location
-Hachiko statue at Shinjuku
-Mt. Fuji
-http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/restaurant/list/tokyo/
^Michelin star spots, I was going to try a bunch of 1 star or bib gourmounds. they're reasonably priced. Nakiryu ramen shop was one of them that popped up on my radar.

I did a bunch of research for Japan, had tickets, but had to cancel due to work. So I hope one of us will get use out of this.

Also, the lonely planet guide on japan was pretty useful for planning. I would get the Tokyo digital version though, the paperback is a brick to carry around. So I've read.

Also, get a mobile hotspot, Rental Mobile Wifi Mifi Pocket Wifi in Japan, Portable Wifi Mifi router access point:: Global Advanced Communications
Then use google translate app on android to translate. It works pretty well with speech. You can also take photos highlight the text and have it translated.

IMO 7 days in tokyo is a good time, there's plenty to do. I would do Kyoto/Nara in 7 days as well.

Agreed, you don't need JR pass if your staying in Tokyo, and if you only have 7 days, stay in Tokyo. Transit costs in Tokyo shouldn't cost more than 20 dollars a day. Unless your taking the taxi. Then it can get pricy

Last edited by DragonChi; 02-09-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Corrected Hanami timing, added transit costs
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #261
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
1 day in Kyoto and Osaka isn't worth it. especially since the jr pass isn't the nozomi. 4hrs just on travel, and early closing times/extra closures at most tourist spots if its still their winter hours.

if its only 7 dayys, fuck fancy restaurants. ichiran for ramen, matsuya/yoshinoya/sukiya for dons, coco for curry. torikizoku/torijiro/yama chan(izakayas) for yakitori/chicken. all ok for single travelers, izakays a bit more but all generally cheap and better tasting than what you can get in Vancouver. first kitchen(fukku)/lotteria/saizeria for cheap western food. hanbey izakaya for retro japan feel
Hanbei brings back fond memories, lol. It wasn't the best in terms of quality, but it made getting drunk easy and EXTREMELY cheap.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #262
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thoughts on Okinawa? I would like to visit the aquarium there. I have like 2 weeks. Thinking about doing the first week in Tokyo, then trying to cover Kyoto and Osaka in the second week. And it would be cool to go to Okinawa for the aquarium, as that has been something I've always wanted to do.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #263

IMO, I would leave something like Okinawa or Hokkaido for a second trip.

I highly recommend Shirakawa-go

it's accessible from Tokyo since they built a new line a year or two ago to Kanazawa (apparently well known for their garden/geisha quarters/fresh seafood from Sea of Japan...I didn't get to spend time here though).

I did it as a day-trip from Kyoto and returned that evening to Tokyo.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #264

okinawa can be 5 days to week on its own. not worth a one day stop imo. you could technically do it in 3 but when youre in okinawa you gotta relax and enjoy it too

tosd think about planning around 5 days in tokyo, 2 in kyoto, 2.5 osaka+kobe 1 hiroshima. gives you flex days incase you wanna stop in nagoya, yokohama, head to a place kinda out of the way like nara or to go back to Tokyo/kyoto and see something you missed/didnt know about. youd be able to see the basics but not adventure too much

Last edited by dbaz; 02-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Hanbei brings back fond memories, lol. It wasn't the best in terms of quality, but it made getting drunk easy and EXTREMELY cheap.
yea, that's the way they designed it. hormones is a staple there if you want to ever try it, due to it being a main food during that era. theres other food you can find there, that you wont commonly find

love annoying the staff by ordering the chain special drinks as they have to sing songs when delivering it. also a must try at hanbei is oppai ice, even better if you are drinking with friends. girls get free dessert there. worth it just to see the retro toys, posters and furniture

hanbey site for pics so ppl can actually get what I'm talking about
???? | ??????????????????????
Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #266
VAC Head Rotang Mod

i know it's not enough time, this is really just a preliminary trip. i plan to go as much as i can manage, but this was about all the time i had/could afford.

other areas i want to go to are Hokkaido, Kure, and Hakone to name a few

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #267
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
i know it's not enough time, this is really just a preliminary trip. i plan to go as much as i can manage, but this was about all the time i had/could afford.

other areas i want to go to are Hokkaido, Kure, and Hakone to name a few
Or, if you have the money....

Rent a bike and tour as much of Japan as you can on it and ride from loc to loc. It's something I've always wanted to do. This company has some pretty sick sportbikes too (although the lineup will depend from location to location).

https://www.rental819.com/english/

ie.

Their Ikebukuro location has GSXR 600 - 1000, and CBR600RRs
https://www.rental819.com/english/ar...d=00110&area=3
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #268
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

For anyone still planning, here's a good site that I used to get ideas for my April trip.

https://www.odigo.jp
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #269
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Or, if you have the money....

Rent a bike and tour as much of Japan as you can on it and ride from loc to loc. It's something I've always wanted to do. This company has some pretty sick sportbikes too (although the lineup will depend from location to location).

https://www.rental819.com/english/

ie.

Their Ikebukuro location has GSXR 600 - 1000, and CBR600RRs
https://www.rental819.com/english/ar...d=00110&area=3
ohhh man... that would be amazing.. i think i'll do that next time

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #270
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

https://www.odigo.jp/itineraries/48225

what do you guys think?

A lot of places are like pretty close together so it shouldn't take long to finish an area.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #271

Book a room on AirBnB

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/8163180

doesn't seem so bad price wise and place have pretty good reviews.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

what do you guys think?

A lot of places are like pretty close together so it shouldn't take long to finish an area.
you can condense a lot of your days. looks like you will have tons of free time on some days. specifically your first 2 days, and akihabara days. akb48 theatre doesn't take long unless you want to watch a show. even then be prepared to be pushed out of the way by a bunch of 40+ Japanese men. so you might as well hit up some other attractions nearby, asakusa when you are at skytree etc

Didn't look into many of the places you were going, but some warnings on the following.

Robot restaurant - believe its 100+ now, used to be 60ish. heard the experience has gone downhill. need to prebuy tickets for a time, and if you are late too bad

sunshine observatory - not worth going to during the day, for night viewing

seems you are going to a lot of anime places/themed cafes. So I would suggest one of the following to you for dinner

Alice in a Labyrinth - Ginza. Alice in wonderland themed restaurant. Went there, pretty interesting place, you might cream your pants if the same waitresses are there.

Ehon no Kunino Alice - Shinjuku. Another alice in wonderland themed restaurant. Not decorated as well as the Ginza one, looks like a worse experience than the Ginza one

Alcatraz ER - shibuya. Horror, Prison themed restaurant. Drinks come in iv bags etc

Ninja Akasaka - asakusa. I missed out on this as I was sick. My friends have gone multiple times. Great experience, food is good. Dinner can run high, lunch is more modest but still a bit expensive. Friends recommend it more than the robot cafe
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #273
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

instead of bringing cash, has anybody used the ATM's at 7-11 to withdraw yen?
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #274
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
instead of bringing cash, has anybody used the ATM's at 7-11 to withdraw yen?
7-11 and post offices are easy to come across and convenient with English menus. Also Citibank

ATM is absolutely better than bringing a bunch of cash in hand. Just make sure international withdrawals are allowed (some banks block them unless you enable them)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #275
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
what do you guys think?
Have some comments for you
Just recently came back from Japan a couple days ago. I've been to couple places that you've listed so i'll try my best to give you a review of it. From what it looks where you are going, I high suggest you to get one of those Tokyo Metro unlimited pass that lasts for 24,48,72 hours(maybe even more because I only needed the 72 hour one) that you can purchase from any BIC Camera stores.
Spoiler!
OGCStrike is offline   Reply With Quote