REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #101
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
^ I can't compare to bcrdukes.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #102
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
lol! Anyways I forgot to add more to my post.

Sunroute is one of those places that won't reserve restaurants for you AT ALL. If you want to hit any nice restaurant you're going need to book in advance asap. That kind of leads to the main problem because most restaurants will only take reservations from your hotel. This was 2 years ago, their policy may have changed. I would double check.

Tsukiji is Sushi Dai or bust. Everything else won't taste much better than what you can get at a quality sushi joint in Vancouver. Get there at 4-4:30am to get the first seating or be prepared to wait 2 hours plus.

Forget about Jiro...it's not even rated that high on Tabelog (aka Japan version of urbanspoon). The end all be all is Saito right now. Yasuda was enjoyable, affordable and he speaks english and likes to talk if you engage him. Makes for a nicer dining experience vs. some of the other sushi-yas where they can barely tell you what you are eating. I used these links to help with my dining itinerary:
http://www.luxeat.com/blog/50-tokyo-...g-com-users-2/
http://www.luxeat.com/blog/50-tokyo-...belog-users-3/

I think you really have to search for craft beer to find it. 90% of places only stock Suntory/Kirin/Sapporo etc...

For a quick Ryokan experience, maybe try Hakone. It's closer to Tokyo, but their mainly known for their onsens.

As for shopping, specifically for Japanese denim/leather go to Ueno and hit up Ameyoko. Raw denim heaven and yes it's cheaper. Free chain stitch hemming if you have the time as well.

Last edited by Expresso; 06-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #103
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresso View Post
lol! Anyways I forgot to add more to my post.

Sunroute is one of those places that won't reserve restaurants for you AT ALL. If you want to hit any nice restaurant you're going need to book in advance asap. That kind of leads to the main problem because most restaurants will only take reservations from your hotel. This was 2 years ago, their policy may have changed. I would double check.

Tsukiji is Sushi Dai or bust. Everything else won't taste much better than what you can get at a quality sushi joint in Vancouver. Get there at 4-4:30am to get the first seating or be prepared to wait 2 hours plus.

Forget about Jiro...it's not even rated that high on Tabelog (aka Japan version of urbanspoon). The end all be all is Saito right now. Yasuda was enjoyable, affordable and he speaks english and likes to talk if you engage him. Makes for a nicer dining experience vs. some of the other sushi-yas where they can barely tell you what you are eating. I used these links to help with my dining itinerary:
50 best Tokyo sushi restaurants according to Tabelog.com users Luxeat
50 best Tokyo restaurants according to Tabelog users Luxeat

I think you really have to search for craft beer to find it. 90% of places only stock Suntory/Kirin/Sapporo etc...

For a quick Ryokan experience, maybe try Hakone. It's closer to Tokyo, but their mainly known for their onsens.

As for shopping, specifically for Japanese denim/leather go to Ueno and hit up Ameyoko. Raw denim heaven and yes it's cheaper. Free chain stitch hemming if you have the time as well.
sushi saito is super hard to book from my experience. yasuda is the easiest to book since you can make an email reservation.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Just booked the Sunroute Plaza right near Shinjuku station for now... Might look into the possibility of 2 nights in Kyoto perhaps in a Ryokan.

Food so far... definitely gonna hit up a sushi stand in Tsukiji, a high end sushi place (perhaps Yasuda; Jiro is probably way overbooked), Rokurinsha Tsukemen, maybe a fancy michelin place (L'atelier or Robuchon, etc.) for lunch when its cheaper.

Not so much into cocktails but gonna see if there's a craft beer scene there.

For shopping, looking to see if raw Japanese denim is cheaper there, as well as leather craft goods.
Don't waste your time at L'aterlier. You can just go to another l'atelier in another part of the world... oh and also, it is no damn good. I had the full tasting and walked out of there so angry.

Skip sushi dai.. either go lower end or higher end for no line-ups. Lining up for 2 hrs - never again. Sawada is easier to book than Saito. Mizutani is also relatively easy to book. Daisan harumi is also easy to book. The guy is funny because he claims to have learned english in vancouver... he lived in vancouver... he most certainly did not learn english.

Walk around Tsukiji for the experience and then go somewhere else.

Edit: Tabelog.com is your friend. Put through google translate if you don't know japanese.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #105
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Hakone is somewhere you should stay away from at this time, unless you like liquid hot magma.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #106
My homepage has been set to RS

Planning a trip to Japan. It's likely going to be Osaka for a 3 days then Tokyo for 4 days. What's the best way travelling from Osaka to Tokyo?
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #107
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Bullet train.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #108
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Going to Japan in april next year with the GF. Does anybody have any Ryokans they can recommend around Kyoto or Tokyo? Hopefully something with reserveable baths or places that allow tattoos.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #109

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
I'm going to Japan end of September,
So far I got the following restaurants booked, let me know if there is any other must try restaurants that I should do.

In Tokyo,
Esakai
Sushi Yoshitake
Sukiyabashi Jiro - Roppongi
(I couldn't get sushi Saito or Jiro in Ginza)

Osaka
Fujiya 1935
Shunsaiten Tsuchiya

Kyoto
Chihana
Kichisen

Kobe
Setsugekka

I am travelling solo, so a lot of restaurants that I want to try don't take solo reservations, I'm still looking to book an authentic Japanese Sukiyaki restaurant.

Let me know if there are some must try spots that I missed. Thanks!
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #110
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i went to one in mount hakone resort had private ones that can be rented as well as an insuite one on the balcony for a single person.

stayed over night. was expensive
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Bullet train.
Is the JR pass worth it?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Is the JR pass worth it?
Its worth it if you do your research...

Without knowing about your itinerary, how would we know?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #113
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Is the JR pass worth it?
my gf and i are heading from toyko to osaka, just the one trip alone round trip is already more than the jr pass
Old 09-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #114

Now is the difference in price between the green class and the regular Jr pass worth it?
I was hoping to ride the granclass, but apparently there is no trains with granclass between Osaka and Tokyo
Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #115
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Now is the difference in price between the green class and the regular Jr pass worth it?
I was hoping to ride the granclass, but apparently there is no trains with granclass between Osaka and Tokyo
I don't really think green car is worth it personally. The regular car is nice enough! Lots of legroom, big windows and power outlets at most seats and on most trains.

And another thing is I noticed not very many people pay for the green car (usually just a few of older japanese businessmen) that you may actually enjoy more riding in the regular car for the people watching and small chance of meeting someone since you are solo.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #116
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,951 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
Going to Japan in april next year with the GF. Does anybody have any Ryokans they can recommend around Kyoto or Tokyo? Hopefully something with reserveable baths or places that allow tattoos.
Hakone Ginyu. highly recommended. a bit on the expensive side but worth it.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #117

Which company do you guys recommend for pocket wifi rental?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #118
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,951 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Which company do you guys recommend for pocket wifi rental?
Rent iPhone, Cell / Mobile Phone & Mobile Data Card in Japan:: Global Advanced Communications
with their standard model. Good battery life and area coverage.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #119

Quote:
Its worth it if you do your research...

Without knowing about your itinerary, how would we know?
Heh my bad..Flying into Tokyo on 26th, staying until 30th and leaving for Osaka then on Oct 3rd gotta go back to Tokyo to catch the flight home.

Been debating if JR pass is worth it or just fly with peach airlines from Tokyo to Osaka.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #120
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Might be heading to Japan with 4 other homies for a skate trip after spring semester. Staying at a friends house, not sure where it is. How cheap can one live in Japan for 2 weeks? Not caring about high key sushi or tourist attractions.
KDMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #121

Quote:
Heh my bad..Flying into Tokyo on 26th, staying until 30th and leaving for Osaka then on Oct 3rd gotta go back to Tokyo to catch the flight home.

Been debating if JR pass is worth it or just fly with peach airlines from Tokyo to Osaka.
Are you flying home same day?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #122

Quote:
Let me know if there are some must try spots that I missed. Thanks!
Check out Sushi Sho, and Kushiwakamaru.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #123
private modder

Quote:

You know if you just did a bit of research yourself, you could figure this out easily.

Peach Airlines return fare between Narita and Kansai is 10,530 yen

Bullet Train each way between Tokyo and Osaka is around 13,000 yen

JR pass for 7 days is $325 CAD

Factor in the cost of the train between Narita and Tokyo and from Kansai to Osaka and the time spent, vs taking the train from downtown to downtown.

You can also use the JR pass on JR trains within Tokyo and Osaka.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #124

Quote:

You and I have a very similar itinerary, and I bought a JR pass, the return trip from Osaka to Tokyo is worth the pass alone, plus I want to train to Kyoto and Kobe as well.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
sushi saito is super hard to book from my experience. yasuda is the easiest to book since you can make an email reservation.
Yea Saito was basically impossible for me, I had both the westin and four seasons concierge try, they don't take reso from Amex concierge.

I ended up "settling" with Yoshitake and sukiyabashi jiro roppongi (Ginza supposedly doesn't even take reso unless the diner goes with someone that speaks fluent Japanese, and as a solo traveller that was not possible)