REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   NHL IS BACK! The Official 2012/2013 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669494-nhl-back-official-2012-2013-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

spideyv2 09-04-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8020210)
I always lol @ ppl who say they watch giants/dub hockey because "they aren't professionals, they try harder"

I went to a giants game last year and litterally loled at the level of hockey being played

Yeah, brah. Tier 2 ASHL hockey is where it's at. Amirite?

Tim Budong 09-04-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8020268)
Luongo making comments to TSN for the first time that his trade preference, of course, would be to return to the Florida Panthers.

I think that the Canucks' trade leverage with Florida just went down a couple notches now that everyone knows Luongo wants to go back to the Sunshine state. :(

Luongo says a return to Florida 'makes sense'

after all the strombone1
its hard to take the guy seriously sometimes...even if its from a paper in florida and providing video of him saying the exact quotes

Ludepower 09-04-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8020218)
WOW thats a retarded move by the AV's, thats something I could see the Islanders doing but not a team like Colorado:fulloffuck:

Theres a reason why he was chosen over 3 other superstars on the AV's team.
This kid in the new cornerstone of the AV's...so much confidence with a cool calm shoulder. I've heard Duchene and Stastny can be hot headed at times.

Mike Oxbig 09-04-2012 04:51 PM

landeskog is a captain. Back in the days when he was a kitchener ranger, all we hear was he is a leader a future captain his work ethic is mature blah blah blah...

belka 09-04-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8020210)
I always lol @ ppl who say they watch giants/dub hockey because "they aren't professionals, they try harder"

I went to a giants game last year and litterally loled at the level of hockey being played

They are still kids.

murd0c 09-04-2012 04:53 PM

even tho I agree with him being a leader and he is the future seems kinda soon just after rookie season. Who was the captain last year?

!Nhan 09-04-2012 05:02 PM

hejduk was

punkwax 09-04-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 8020518)

lol. Welcome back JR

Hondaracer 09-04-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belka (Post 8020560)
They are still kids.

im speaking more to the people who talk it up like it's a better product than the NHL, 8-5 games arent even entertaining..

6thGear. 09-04-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 8020518)

Not much of an argument, considering ASHL Tier 2 is pretty much Major JR level.

AzNightmare 09-04-2012 09:11 PM

lol, Avs just trolling Crosby. That's all. :fuckthatshit:

One strong rookie season, define captaincy.

JesseBlue 09-04-2012 09:20 PM

madden officially retires...
great player...true champion...

Verdasco 09-04-2012 10:17 PM

fuckkkkkkkkk lockout....... whos down to assassinate the owners? :troll:

spideyv2 09-04-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 8020722)
Not much of an argument, considering ASHL Tier 2 is pretty much Major JR level.

Lol not really, more like former junior A, B, and rep players.

WHL > a non-contact rec league

Gilgamesh 09-04-2012 11:22 PM

The Colorado management seems to be losing it. I do not agree with a lot of their moves.
- They traded Shattenkirk and Stewart to blues for Erik Johnson and McClement and a 1st. Granted, Stewart isn't in top form, but Shattenkirk appears to be racking up the numbers. I guess Landeskog is an upgrade over Stewart, but Stewart still has pretty good upside as a 50 point producing Power Forward.
- Craig Anderson for Brian Elliot: Elliot did not solve the Col's goaltending woes in that season and Craig Anderson is arguably one of the league's most under-rated goalies as he practically stole game 3 in Col's playoff run against SJ. He posted respectable numbers against NYR series.
- Varlamov for 1st rounder: 2012 was deep with Defensive prospects, something that Colorado could have benefitted from (or they could have had a decent asset in Grigorenko, traded down etc). I understand Col has some D prospects, but 2012 was loaded with a LOT.
- Traded Liles for a 2nd rounder. He could have mentored Erik Johnson or COl's defensive prospects.

- tl:dr- COL management is losing it.

Obsideon 09-04-2012 11:28 PM

I guess I will be focused solely on NBA until NHL get their shit together ... as a sport I like watching basketball more than hockey ... but the Canucks are still my team. Wish we could get another Grizzlies... but this time not with shitty management ...

Tim Budong 09-04-2012 11:43 PM

saw this on CFOX facebook

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...80184949_n.jpg

Hondaracer 09-05-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 8020886)
Lol not really, more like former junior A, B, and rep players.

WHL > a non-contact rec league

Div 1 at 8 rinks has former NHL, AHL, and NCAA players

2 is filled with players who played NCAA and a handful of players I know personally played in a few of the NCAA's "frozen four"

So while you throw out completely uninformed opinions, the level of play in many of these games is infact higher than your typical giants game as many of these players have played 4-5 years in a much higher level of play than the CHL.. also your "no contact" comment obviously shows that you've never seen a game within these divisions because outside of open ice hits, no contact is a term held very loosely with players who all know how to check..

I'm sure you've got a tonne of experience though on the rink of your local lacrosse box

spideyv2 09-05-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8021054)
Div 1 at 8 rinks has former NHL, AHL, and NCAA players

2 is filled with players who played NCAA and a handful of players I know personally played in a few of the NCAA's "frozen four"

So while you throw out completely uninformed opinions, the level of play in many of these games is infact higher than your typical giants game as many of these players have played 4-5 years in a much higher level of play than the CHL.. also your "no contact" comment obviously shows that you've never seen a game within these divisions because outside of open ice hits, no contact is a term held very loosely with players who all know how to check..

I'm sure you've got a tonne of experience though on the rink of your local lacrosse box

Care to name a few players?

Honestly, only douchebags attempt to throw hits in a beer league. I've watched a few ASHL games, and while the level of play is pretty impressive for rec hockey, I'd rather watch a dub game. Just my opinion, though.

Edit - and I'm referring to the ASHL league running out of North Van, Langley, Burnaby, and Richmond (assuming you play in the lower mainland).

Hondaracer 09-05-2012 12:19 PM

Lucic's brother and all his Serbian buddies play in Div 1 they are almos all ex junior/ex pro players, I'd rather not name the people I played with personally

And when I say hitting, I'm not talking about smashing people into the boards from behind, just solid solid rub outs along the boards and standing people up at the line

Mike Oxbig 09-05-2012 12:20 PM

My friends brother is on that Serbian team

punkwax 09-05-2012 12:21 PM

Div 2 at 8 rinks is great hockey. I wouldn't pay to watch it though. People pay for Giants games because those kids are trying to make it big and play their hearts out. That can translate into sloppy hockey.

kristianhay 09-05-2012 12:26 PM

I think comparing the ASHL to WHL is slightly retarded. While the ASHL may have former NCAA/AHLer's, the WHL is full of potential NHL stars, AHLers, etc. There's also the fact that it's comparing beer league to a major junior league.. two completely different things in the hockey world. Kids working to make it to the NHL vs high skilled guys playing for fun.

The ASHL may have "body contact" but it's vastly different than full contact hockey. Stupid to state otherwise imo.

Hondaracer 09-05-2012 12:49 PM

"full of potential stars" is the other argument I have with people who claim the dub is so great

98% of the CHL never see's NHL ice, hell most quit before even ending up in the AHL, it is far from
"full" of future nhlers

kristianhay 09-05-2012 12:52 PM

Obviously every player isn't going to play pro hockey, but every year they produce a good number players who get drafted to the NHL. Different than playing in the NHL, but the skill is there. Either way, for the most part these kids want to make it to the NHL and that shows in their effort on the ice.

Watching WHL > ASHL, just my 2 cents.