REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #301
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Next question: what are Canadian sizes like these days? Are they like USA sizes, where a L is more like an XXL? I fit a European L or Japanese XL, but last time I bought a USA L, it was like buying a shirt for a fat american
These Bay tshirts should be like the NHL/NFL/hanes/fruit of loom casual tshirt sizing. It's not quite supersized American sizing, I wear a L, if you recall my body type from my deadlift video in the workout thread 5'10 195lbs, so I think you should fit the L size too.
Advertisement
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #302
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Teams blamed the introduction of a round-robin stage rather than a straight knockout tournament as the main cause of the problem. In the round-robin format, losing one game can lead to an easier matchup in the next round.
Quote:
Australia coach Lasse Bundgaard, who also lodged a protest, blamed the group format for the controversy.

"It's not good when you create a tournament where the players are put in this situation," he said. "If you can win a medal by losing, but not by winning, that's not a good situation to be put in.
i understand their intentions but fuck at least make it look like u are trying haha
rice cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #303

why no chinese in the mens gymnastics individual all around?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #304
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
IMO medal standings should go by gold medals won, not total medals. Silver and bronze, you lost, you don't win silver/bronze, you lose gold IMO. It'd be like Superbowl, Stanley Cup losers celebrating not winning or the guy finishing 2nd in the Masters celebrating.

But maybe I'm just too competitive.
Actually, that IS how medal standings are officially ranked. They may show otherwise on TV, but it is the number of gold that determines the ranking of a country on the medal table.

2008 Summer Olympics medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though USA had more medals overall, China is ranked first because they had more golds.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #305
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
I believe there is a rule or some variation of it.
It may be ambiguous. The only thing I've seen is that competitors need to give their best effort to win.

Does that mean win at every point? Every set? Every match? Or the competition?

It could be argued that they were giving their best effort to win the competition by losing the match to get a more favoured draw.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #306
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
It can maybe be debatable as "strategy", but most would see it as poor sportsmanship and spirit.
Its not fair for the audience to watch, and a winning attitude is to try and beat all opponents to declare being the best.
Not throwing games and being scared to play which ever team/nation.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #307
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

holy eff! anyone watch the korean lifter dislocated his elbow just now? On the snatch the bar just tipped back and his arms rotated behind him the wrong way

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #308
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
It may be ambiguous. The only thing I've seen is that competitors need to give their best effort to win.

Does that mean win at every point? Every set? Every match? Or the competition?

It could be argued that they were giving their best effort to win the competition by losing the match to get a more favoured draw.
Replying to myself. Actually, apparently the rule states "Not using one’s best efforts to win a match".

So they did violate the rules, therefore it was on legitimate grounds that they were disqualified.

However, I think the blame ultimately goes back to the organizers who came up with this format that allows the possibility of gaining by losing. They need to revise the format to ensure there is never such a situation.

I mean, what if it didn't play out this way? As in the players weren't so ridiculously obvious in trying to lose? What if one player complains they ate something bad and has stomach pains and is unable to compete. Are they able to withdraw from that match and take the loss?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #309
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

damn that Chinese guy in weightlifitng what a beast snatch
mike313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #310
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
It can maybe be debatable as "strategy", but most would see it as poor sportsmanship and spirit.
Its not fair for the audience to watch, and a winning attitude is to try and beat all opponents to declare being the best.
Not throwing games and being scared to play which ever team/nation.
The first team that did this was China's #1 team. If they had won, they would end up facing off against China's #2 team in the first knockout round. They weren't "scared" of their opponent, but they (or their coach or team China as a whole) wanted to avoid this matchup because it would mean both China teams could end up making it to the finals, so that they could win two medals. If they played legitimately and won, that means one China pair would knock the other pair out before the medal rounds.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #311
Banned (ABWS)?

Oh, I see. I wasn't fully aware of China's situation.
Why was the other team trying to lose too?

None the less, throwing games is just poor sportsmanship
And should rightfully be punished.

Blame does go to the poor formatting too though.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #312
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts

McKayla Maroney's Vault Was So Good It Literally Dropped A Judge's Jaw
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #313
dL
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They deserve it
How so?

It is a form of tactic. Yes, it sucks to watch people not try but it is a tactic to get different seeding. You always want to try and make sure you do not want to get two of your nation's team in one bracket as that means you may have a chance to eliminate each other in the semifinals, which eliminates the chance of capturing both gold and silver.

Let's (try to) compare this with another sport. Basketball. Why don't we make some rules so NBA players don't deliberately foul in the dying seconds trying to hope the opposing team misses the foul shots so they get possession back? Then why don't we punish the players who are trying to play keep-aways in the dying seconds for as long as possible instead of pursuing to score? Because it is a form of strategy. It is strategically playing within the rules of the game, format, and system.

Of course, it can also be viewed as unethical. There's two sides of taking this. Audience obvious on the ethical side, but as a former badminton player, I am on the players' side this time because I have experienced this first hand where another school team was performing it to get a better seeding, and eventually both their school teams got to the finals. Sucks but smart.

What I would do instead is serve a slightly higher serve and then the opponent will smash it easily and then you can miss returning the smash on purpose as it is much harder to judge haha.

And that's all I have to say for this. There's no point arguing because there is two sides and both sides have its points. This is just my take.

dL

Last edited by dL; 08-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
dL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #314

interesting read about ye shiwen

Quote:
"If you look at the woman in question, and her biomechanics in the heats, she has a steady, moderately slow, six-beat kick," Leonard said, referring to the number of kicks Ye takes with each arm stroke. "All of a sudden in the Olympic final she turned it up to an eight-beat kick, which any coach will tell you is very difficult to maintain for 25m, much less 100m."

Ross Tucker, a sport scientist who based a large part of his PhD on pacing strategies in sport – or how athletes reserve enough energy to finish an event strongly – has also voiced his discomfort, while stressing that nothing had been proven against Ye. "Don't shy away from the question just because it's politically incorrect," Tucker writes his blog the Science of Sport. "Look where that got sport before."

Tucker points out that, on average, female medley swimmers finish the 400m IM in a freestyle time that is between "18% and 23% slower" than that of a top 100m freestyler. But Ye's leg was about 10% off the times set by the best 100m freestyle swimmers. "The conclusion that I would draw from this," Tucker writes, "is that her 100m freestyle leg is disproportionately fast not only by comparison to Lochte, but also to her peers, and to the best 100m freestyle swimmers." That, Tucker says, is too big a gap. "Based on everything we know about performance and pacing. I suspect that Shiwen would probably be two or more seconds faster if she went out harder and pushed to the point of fatigue."

It would make more sense, Tucker suggests, for Ye to swim faster over the first three legs and trade that improvement off for a slight loss of time in the final 100m. As Leonard said, "to swim three other splits at the rate that she did, which was quite ordinary for elite competition, and then unleash a historic anomaly, it is just not right".

"Her first 300m was an extremely conservative effort," concluded Tucker. "The simple question is: 'Under what circumstances does a female have the capacity to finish a race as fast as a male?'" It is the same question that is being asked by Leonard, only in a different way. "If it is a truly clean swim it is probably one of the most magnificent swims in history," Leonard said. "But at this point, I would call it unbelievable." This time, there was no doubt how he meant it.
Ye Shiwen's world record Olympic swim: brilliant, or too good to be true? | Sport | The Guardian
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #315
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Well, it seems that answer depends almost entirely on race. If you’re white, if you have an English trainer, then everyone’s going to be delighted for you. If you’re Chinese, you’re going to face a barrage of cowardly smears and insinuations that will ruin the greatest day of your life. Hurrah for the Olympics!

Finally, regarding Ye Shiwen’s final 50m, which has generated huge amounts of disbelieving comments in the media and on Twitter; yes, she was seventeen hundreths of a second faster than Lochte over the last 50m. It’s worth bearing in mind that her time over the full 400m was 23.25 seconds slower, or, to put it another way, two thousand, three hundred and twenty five hundreths of a second. And this brings me around to Rebecca Adlington… because Rebecca swam a final 50m of a medley similar race in 28.91 seconds last year. That’s two hundreths faster than Ye’s supposedly controversial final length in London! And she’s faster than Lochte, who is a man!

So, is Rebecca Adlington a drug cheat? Well, that depends on whether you’re using the logic of John Leonard or not. Leonard had this to say about Ye’s swim…
equally interesting read

Is Rebecca Adlington a drug cheat? | Blogging is pointless:
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #316
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Oh, I see. I wasn't fully aware of China's situation.
Why was the other team trying to lose too?

None the less, throwing games is just poor sportsmanship
And should rightfully be punished.

Blame does go to the poor formatting too though.
It really was all a chain reaction. China #1 is basically unbeatable. They had a streak of being unbeaten in 52 weeks.

Earlier, China #2 got upset, which changed the whole outlook for the knockout rounds.

China #2 is also the second best pair in the world after China #1.

China #1 wanted to lose, so that they wouldn't need to face China #2 in the first knockout round.

The Korea #1 team doesn't want to play China #2 either, so they didn't want to take the win even if China #1 was giving it to them. So that's why they tanked as well, leading to both teams tanking.

Eventually China tanked better and lost the match. This affected the draw for the results of the next match between Korea #2 and the Indonesia.

The winner would have to play China #1, which obviously nobody wants, so that's why both these teams tried losing too.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #317
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

It's time to start training for 2016

Athletes spill details on dirty secrets in the Olympic Village - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Spoiler!
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #318
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
It really was all a chain reaction. China #1 is basically unbeatable. They had a streak of being unbeaten in 52 weeks.

Earlier, China #2 got upset, which changed the whole outlook for the knockout rounds.

China #1 wanted to lose, so that they wouldn't need to face China #2 in the first knockout round.

The Korea #1 team doesn't want to play China #2 either, so they didn't want to take the win even if China #1 was giving it to them. So that's why they tanked as well, leading to both teams tanking.

Eventually China tanked better and lost the match. This affected the draw for the results of the next match between Korea #2 and the Indonesia.

The winner would have to play China #1, which obviously nobody wants, so that's why both these teams tried losing too.
lol i laughed reading that. oh my. DISQUALIFY ALL THE TEAMS

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #319
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
lol@ 4 teams being disqualified
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #320
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Match That Got Badminton Teams Disqualified In Olympics [Video] - Business Insider

Link to the actual gameplay. Pretty disgraceful. Imagine if you paid good money for those tickets.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/racquet-sp...tml?cid=rsstsn

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.

Last edited by Valour; 08-01-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #321
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
When does the 100 meter sprints, relay, etc start
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #322
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Save the clicking.. heres the video

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #323
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
lol i laughed reading that. oh my. DISQUALIFY ALL THE TEAMS
Now all the other teams who are in it will be laughing thier ass off coz the most deadly 2 pairs are out of the finals lol.

Honestly, this is not about trying yoru best anyways, is about winning for your country.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #324
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Olympians are adventurers. They look for a challenge, like having sex with someone who doesn't speak their language."
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #325
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up.
I was literally LOL'ing reading this.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM