REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #451
My homepage has been set to RS
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 2,063
Thanked 760 Times in 307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
anyone watch the GBR/S.KOR men's soccer game?
Yup...Great Britain sucks lol. Got two penalties in regulation but only converted one. Too bad! If the Koreans get a medal they are exempt from military service.
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #452
SardaukarMod
 
seakrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salusa Secundus
Posts: 11,306
Thanked 485 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Yup...Great Britain sucks lol. Got two penalties in regulation but only converted one. Too bad! If the Koreans get a medal they are exempt from military service.
ha, really? that's pretty sweet.

also, i'm not sure what that last GBR player was thinking with his stutter step during his shot. great save the the S.Korean backup goalkeeper.
__________________
2012 Volkswagen Golf Wagon in Candy White
2009 Triumph Street Triple 675
in Jet Black
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #453
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
?uestlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: bung hole
Posts: 369
Thanked 256 Times in 82 Posts
holy sweet jesus i was watching the track and field thing, some of the lady atheletes were hhhhhoot!!
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #454
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
I'm curious as to why Skinnypup and Ricecooker failed me for this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice cooker View Post
they might as well have olympic horse racing than this equestrian shit, its alot less dangerous for the human and the horse. i cant beleive they booted olympic baseball/softball and kept this
Incorrect, racing is much more dangerous and harder on a horses' body than jumping or dressage. Horse racing would also not be suitable for entrance into the Olympics for a number of reasons. Softball and baseball were largely removed as a result of anti-doping issues among top athletes within baseball, so I'm unclear as to why you can't believe equestrian events have not been removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Rich cunts don't care about softball, they want to show off their million dollar horses
I'll reiterate the fact that the misconceptions you have of equestrian are dead wrong.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #455
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm curious as to why Skinnypup and Ricecooker failed me for this post?
I know that was just an inquiry; but you're looking like you don't like people disagreeing with you somewhat.


It doesn't matter if you're ultimately correct; whatever opinion they hold for "dressage" is completely within their right.


I mean, if it takes some heat off of them... I still can't believe "power walking" is considered a sport and the olympics have an event for that. I mean c'mon, what athletic bragging rights can you get out of that. I'm the best at walking?

Last edited by Noir; 08-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #456
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,843
Thanked 563 Times in 229 Posts
^I'll take the neutral position. I enjoy informed debates and it's favorable when people challenge others conceptions about things with an intelligent argument. Kinda hard to reply or see another person's point of view, if you just get failed lol (but then fails can be for any reason, from a particular phrase in an entire argument or the demeanor that's shining through).

And yeah, I have to agree at this point, I know nothing about power walking but from the picture it creates in my head, I wonder why its a "sport". Won't really know myself until I look into it, but I wouldn't necessarily knock something I have no understanding of.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #457
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I know that was just an inquiry; but you're looking like you don't like people disagreeing with you somewhat.
Not at all; I'm totally fine with people disagreeing with me, and totally respect others difference of opinion. What Olympic events a person enjoys is very subjective. I'm an equestrian fan, but do not expect everyone to understand or enjoy it; there are people passionate about ping pong, which is a sport completely foreign to me.

I'm genuinely curious as to why Skinnypup and Rice Cooker failed me, because I provided nothing but factual information and not opinion.

Equestrian is not a bourgeois sport reserved for rich cunts. There are thousands of very dedicated riders within the lower mainland alone competing in dressage, jumping, and eventing, who have very average incomes.

Horse racing is much harder on horses bodies than dressage, jumping, or eventing; Grand Prix horses compete till age 18 on average, racehorses only make it till age 6 or 7 typically. Horse racing varies vastly internationally, there's no one standard that would make it conducive to becoming an Olympic sport.

I've read a mix of reasons for Olympic baseball and softball being suspended; the reasons being anti-doping issues among top athletes, and the two sports popularity being focused almost entirely within the US and Japan. Equestrian events suffer from neither of these ailments.

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #458
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
You just happen to enjoy a bourgeois sport for rich cunts. Don't worry about it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #459
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
dangonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I don't think equestrian should be an Olympic event. But not because of who competes or what people stereotype as the typical competitor.

I think if a competitor can be 50, 60 or older and be competitive, then something's wrong with the event. The Olympics should be about "faster, higher, stronger." Meaning you have to be in peak physical condition to compete. Sports like track & field or gymnastics don't have seniors competing because they are nowhere near to having the required abilities.

This is also why I think curling shouldn't be an Olympic sport. When a 50 year old with a beer belly can compete, something's wrong.

Last edited by dangonay; 08-04-2012 at 10:55 PM.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #460
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,843
Thanked 563 Times in 229 Posts
.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #461
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,843
Thanked 563 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You just happen to enjoy a bourgeois sport for rich cunts. Don't worry about it
^lol
there's some insight in your response as that is very revealing of the perception of the sport currently by what I would safely assume by people who have no interest in equestrian. Nothing a nice marketing campaign couldn't clear up
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #462
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
That's not why it "shouldn't be an olympic sport" and I don't have anything against it. But it explains why it IS an olympic sport still. Hell, one of the medalists this year was the queen's granddaughter, and the horses are all owned by the richest of the rich. This is their once-in-4-years time to really wag their dicks in front of each other. It's not really like the athletes who have a once-in-4-years chance to prove they are the best in the world at what they do. Also I am being extremely facetious
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #463
I don't get it
 
hotshot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 424
Thanked 279 Times in 83 Posts
It just annoys me when someone gets failed for an opinion - and even more so when the person who gave the fail doesn't state their own opinion.
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #464
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #465
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
It just annoys me when someone gets failed for an opinion - and even more so when the person who gave the fail doesn't state their own opinion.
It's a just a mark; A four letter word internet mark made against your anonymous internet persona; a mark that's dealt 100x randomly in this forum for reasons ranging from lightly disagree to strongly disagree.

I think everyone should just be a man and not be so e-sensitive. Surely everyone's been dealt with far more serious insults in their "actual" real lives than that.




And BTW, Skinnypup and the people that agree with him already said why they disagreed with "dressage." Although people have made efforts to convince him otherwise, he remains unconvinced and still disagrees on the exact same principle he orginally held.

Better to end it with just a "fail" mark and everyone goes their merry way, rather than a long winded argument that's just goes around in circles; which is far more childish show than the former.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #466
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I don't think equestrian should be an Olympic event. But not because of who competes or what people stereotype as the typical competitor.

I think if a competitor can be 50, 60 or older and be competitive, then something's wrong with the event. The Olympics should be about "faster, higher, stronger." Meaning you have to be in peak physical condition to compete. Sports like track & field or gymnastics don't have seniors competing because they are nowhere near to having the required abilities.

This is also why I think curling shouldn't be an Olympic sport. When a 50 year old with a beer belly can compete, something's wrong.
That's an interesting take.

With many Olympic sports the factors that contribute towards success go beyond primarily the athletes physical condition, like in running, weight lifting, swimming etc. events. Athletes competing in equestrian, archery, fencing, etc. events, are required to have extremely refined muscle control and demonstrate skill in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's not why it "shouldn't be an olympic sport" and I don't have anything against it. But it explains why it IS an olympic sport still. Hell, one of the medalists this year was the queen's granddaughter, and the horses are all owned by the richest of the rich. This is their once-in-4-years time to really wag their dicks in front of each other. It's not really like the athletes who have a once-in-4-years chance to prove they are the best in the world at what they do.
At the highest levels of equestrian horses becomes extremely valuable and many, but not all, are owned by third parties who sponsor the riders. Success is not a matter of who has the most expensive horse, however. It's the rider who makes the horse, they just need a mount athletic enough to compliment the demands they put on it. It's the riders once-in-4-year opportunity to prove they are the best in the world at what they do.

Top athletes in most sports are sponsored by third parties to facilitate their success, I don't see how having a horse provided for you is any different. Michael Phelps face on boxes sold cereal for Kellogg's, he in turn was compensated financially and was able to train harder. Same idea with equestrian riders and horses, the rider adds to the value of the horse and in turn gets a better mount.

I'm not rambling on because I feel like arguing, or anything like that. There are just a lot misconceptions about equestrian within the general public, and as someone who loves it, I feel compelled to try and correct those.

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #467
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
OGCStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 1,105
Thanked 684 Times in 185 Posts
Chen Long(badminton) wins the bronze for china !!
OGCStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #468
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,906
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
OUCH... stupid officials..


This video shows what went on.. stupid officials are retarded... that was a LONG ass last 1sec...


What you guys think?
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 08-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #469
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
See, that explanation is consistent with all the ones I disagree with. The clock was set to 1 second. That is 100 milliseconds. The German did her move within those 100 milliseconds, even though it didn't show up on the clock, since it only shows 1 second at a time.

I still don't see the controversy. At least going by every single explanation given, except one.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #470
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,906
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
but was it reset to the full 1 sec and for what reason? because the officials dont know how to use the timer??

maybe resetting wouldnt have matter, she would prolly loose but who knows for sure??
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #471
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,895
Thanked 9,765 Times in 3,533 Posts
the horse is doing all the work imo with equestrian events and I agree its only in the olympics because its an event which is cultivated and loved by the upper upper wealth structures since before the olympics existed

but there are tonnes of events that really shouldn't be in the olympics imo as mentioned, power walking, an event for like each stroke in swimming, although i love it, beach volleyball, water polo, etc etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #472
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
Oh yeah I keep forgetting that it was less than a second already when they reset it... yeah that is pretty dumb
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #473
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,966
Thanked 20,508 Times in 6,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

but there are tonnes of events that really shouldn't be in the olympics imo as mentioned, power walking, an event for like each stroke in swimming, although i love it, beach volleyball, water polo, etc etc
Why shouldn't those sports be in the olympics?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #474
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,179
Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
LIN DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #475
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zerg
Posts: 959
Thanked 32 Times in 10 Posts
LIN DAN! GOLD!
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net