REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #51
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ Me too! The guy was super quick...so quick that I woke up mid surgery and felt him pulling at my teeth. The anesthesia hadn't even kicked in yet either. Passed out a few seconds after. Aside from that, I didn't feel any pain nor did my cheeks swell up either.

But you should probably get them removed sooner than later. Like people mentioned, nerve endings and the teeth rooting themselves in lead to a more painful extraction and longer recovery time.
Advertisement
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Oh shit...tooth removal. I'm up to 6, and I need 2 more.

Horror story, for my first 4, due to braces-not wisdom, I went under full anesthesia and had a reaction coming out that I don't remember-as in full restraints yelling and freaking out type shit that they had to sedate me, so I didn't wake upu again for another 5 or 6 hours. Everyone was kind of staring at me weird when I remember waking up, which made sense in that everyone was looking for the good show to resume.

Had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed that was not fun. They had to break them apart.

I still have 2 more that need to be removed. I recommend sooner rather than later as the wisdom teeth I still have caused one tooth to shift and it drives me nuts. Especially having had gone through braces, not having perfect teeth at the end is annoying.

Realistically, my whole braces job was botched by the orthodontist.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #53
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
I went to Dr. Chow as well. He said the anesthesia won't knock me out but it did.
Got all 4 removed since 3/4 were growing in sideways and had to be removed before it screwed up my jaw. cheek wasn't swallen and no pain at all afterwards. solid foods next day. but the holes in the back suck since i keep getting food stuck in them.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #54
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I had a pretty non-eventful wisdom teeth removal experience.

Mine was done on West Broadway, around Oak area? I was put under completely, so I have no recollection of the actual removal process... which I'm thankful for.

I didn't have that much pain afterwards at all. No exaggeration, I ate pizza that evening. it only hurt if a piece of crust went into the cavity where the wisdom teeth used to be.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #55
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
I got my wisdom teeth done last year, I think. Maybe it was the year before, I can't remember lol.

Had my top two molars pulled to let the wisdom teeth drift into their place, and bottom two wisdom teeth removed. I was completely knocked out, but apparently it only took 20 minutes. Got it done on a Friday, and was completely OK to eat and looked alright by Monday. Had the melting stitches, they were fine, no infection. Got it done at Oakridge, Dr Grehwal I believe.

Better get it done younger than older. Healing faster and all that jazz.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

From my experience of having 8 teeth removed (4 for braces and 4 for wisdom) , the procedure itself does not hurt. It's hurts after when the, in my case all local, anesthesia wears off. Basically feels like someone is lighlty pushing on a brusied and open wound, which literally is, and makes me want to bite hard onto something (like how you want to wrap a band-aid on a cut real tight to relieve that 'pain').

Wisdom teeth extraction hurt more because a couple of them didnt erupt so they needed to cut open my gums. I only needed to get 2 out, not because it was hurting but it was getting in the way of crowning the teeth infront of it. Dr. said might as well take out the rest so i did.

For me iirc real constant pain only lasts 1 day but the prescription drug makes it very bearable. The next day, it can be mellowed out 95% by the drugs and even without the drugs, it only hurt alot if i tried to chew.

IMO any dentist can probably do it well, its like one of the most standard procedures (unless it requires surgery but like mine, even without eruption my dr. just scalpeled it open and extracted).

imo my extraction for braces hurt less. im guessing because it doesn really require cutting of the gums, just a strong twist and pull.

Its best to do it asap because impacted tooth can cause you pain, problems and wrong position of teeth can make it more prone to cavity/rot.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #57
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Went to Dr Kenneth Chow.

Took me out. Woke up halfway to him yanking at my teeth. Felt my head jerking, opened my eyes and he said "oops" then put me out again.

Stitches dissolved after like a week. By dissolved, I mean, I was having my first smoke, and they popped out. Bit of blood. No infection. I just rinsed with salt water before and after a smoke.

Probably wasn't a good idea, but it turned out fine.

School paid for a portion of it.
The view. Of course, you only get it for the 10 mins of your consult.
Then for about 5 mins before you go to the next room.

SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #58
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Had mine done a couple years ago. Just simple freezing and no anesthesia. Took a couple of advils after and was fine. No swelling or bruising.

My one piece of advice is get one side removed at a time. I got my left side done first and then the right. Do it this way so you can eat somewhat normal food and chew on the opposite side of your mouth. Get the other side out a couple months later. I haven't heard anyone else that I know do it this way. After I tell them about how I got it done they all wish they did the same.
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #59
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I had mine done around 4 years ago (about 18 years old at the time). All 4.

I went to Dr. Mark Spurr (I think?) at Park Royal Dental Centre in West Vancouver. He was absolutely amazing!

first, my mother tricked me into going in for a normal dentist appointment, which then lead to actually getting my wisdom teeth pulled. She knew i was too much of a wuss to go along with it.

I remember passing out on the chair, sort of furious at my mom. Woke up and realized that I was at the front desk of the dental office and about to leave.

I didnt really feel soar. I was probably bleeding for a few days. I went out the night of (had a friend picked me up since I was on T3's).

Overall it was not a bad experience, and I'm so glad to have had it done.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #60
I STILL don't get it

Had mine a year ago, left side first, 1 week later the right side. I don't know about you guys who say it didn't hurt, but I couldn't eat for the first 3 days after I had them taken out. Just yogurt and ice cream. So glad it's over.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

had mine done 1.5 years ago (when I was 26) two of them had grown half way, but they were so far back hard to clean that one time it caused gum irritation infections. Had it cleaned and was fine. Was told I should come back to remove because I couldn't keep it clean way back so a few weeks later had them pulled. My regular dentist did it with a little bit of freezing, loosened and pulled them both out. Both of them were done in an hour, after that I went back to work and ate food right after. It was no problem at all. If they've grown out a bit, it will be easy to have them removed. + it was covered 100% under my medical since it was at my dentist
Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #62
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I got all 4 of mine taken out about 2 years ago when I was 17. My dentist recommended that I get them taken out when they first started peeking through my gums. I was terrified and wanted to be put under, but for some reason the most my dentist was able to do was give me IV sedation where they just stuck a needle in the back of my hand. It was a waste of nearly a thousand bucks, since all it did was make me feel really drowsy and sort of like I was in a dream (more a nightmare I guess lol) except I was awake the whole time and could feel my teeth cracking and being pulled out (painless, of course, since they numbed my jaw).

Anyway, the whole ordeal was completely painless, including the aftermath. The only downside of it was me getting the bright idea that I should take the gauze out right when I got home. Which obviously resulted in lots and lots and LOTS of bleeding. I guess swallowing all the blood made me queasy (or maybe it was the IV sedation, I really don't know) but I then proceeded to throw up like 5 times that same day. Everything besides sleep made me feel nauseous. Besides that though... I never felt any pain and didn't need to take the prescribed painkillers. Had congee and chocolate milkshakes for 3 days straight and then I was fine to eat anything else.

@blee123, you should get it over with and get them taken out! Just don't go for IV sedation and don't be a dumbass like me and take out your gauze and you will be just fine
yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
I got all 4 of mine taken out about 2 years ago when I was 17. My dentist recommended that I get them taken out when they first started peeking through my gums. I was terrified and wanted to be put under, but for some reason the most my dentist was able to do was give me IV sedation where they just stuck a needle in the back of my hand. It was a waste of nearly a thousand bucks, since all it did was make me feel really drowsy and sort of like I was in a dream (more a nightmare I guess lol) except I was awake the whole time and could feel my teeth cracking and being pulled out (painless, of course, since they numbed my jaw).

Anyway, the whole ordeal was completely painless, including the aftermath. The only downside of it was me getting the bright idea that I should take the gauze out right when I got home. Which obviously resulted in lots and lots and LOTS of bleeding. I guess swallowing all the blood made me queasy (or maybe it was the IV sedation, I really don't know) but I then proceeded to throw up like 5 times that same day. Everything besides sleep made me feel nauseous. Besides that though... I never felt any pain and didn't need to take the prescribed painkillers. Had congee and chocolate milkshakes for 3 days straight and then I was fine to eat anything else.

@blee123, you should get it over with and get them taken out! Just don't go for IV sedation and don't be a dumbass like me and take out your gauze and you will be just fine
thanks for the reply !!

so is the Gauze some kind of soft thing u chew on after the surgery?

are we even suppose to take out the gauze?

did u throw up because of the loss of blood from your mouth?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohboi View Post
had mine done 1.5 years ago (when I was 26) two of them had grown half way, but they were so far back hard to clean that one time it caused gum irritation infections. Had it cleaned and was fine. Was told I should come back to remove because I couldn't keep it clean way back so a few weeks later had them pulled. My regular dentist did it with a little bit of freezing, loosened and pulled them both out. Both of them were done in an hour, after that I went back to work and ate food right after. It was no problem at all. If they've grown out a bit, it will be easy to have them removed. + it was covered 100% under my medical since it was at my dentist
if the x-ray shows it, does it mean mine is already popped up?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
I had mine done around 4 years ago (about 18 years old at the time). All 4.

I went to Dr. Mark Spurr (I think?) at Park Royal Dental Centre in West Vancouver. He was absolutely amazing!

first, my mother tricked me into going in for a normal dentist appointment, which then lead to actually getting my wisdom teeth pulled. She knew i was too much of a wuss to go along with it.

I remember passing out on the chair, sort of furious at my mom. Woke up and realized that I was at the front desk of the dental office and about to leave.

I didnt really feel soar. I was probably bleeding for a few days. I went out the night of (had a friend picked me up since I was on T3's).

Overall it was not a bad experience, and I'm so glad to have had it done.
so we are not suppose to drive when under t3s?

what the heck is a t3 anyways? a type of medicine? sleepy?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #66
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ T3 is Tylenol 3. You can only get it with doctor prescription.
It contains 300 mg acetaminophen and 30 mg codeine

Codeine is a kind of narcotic used in painkiller. Effect of it can be but not limited to drowsiness and depresses breathing.
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #67
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
thanks for the reply !!

so is the Gauze some kind of soft thing u chew on after the surgery?

are we even suppose to take out the gauze?

did u throw up because of the loss of blood from your mouth?

Yupp, the gauze is a soft bandage-y/cloth kinda thing that you're supposed to bite down on afterwards! It's supposed to slow down and stop the holes in your mouth from bleeding and to help it clot faster.

You're supposed to change the gauze every now and then when it gets super bloody and stops soaking in the blood. When I got home, I took my gauze out meaning to just change it but I guess I wasn't in the best state to properly put in the new gauze and close up the hole, so I just gave up on it and took it out and it bled lots (silly ole me). I think I threw up not because of the loss of blood, but because I swallowed too much blood and it just... tasted weird and made me feel sick haha. =P

Don't let me scare you with my story, it really wasn't too bad! I'm definitely a wimp who's usually scared of blood and surgery and those kinda things and I lived to tell the story so you will be okay! =]
yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #68
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Went to Dr Kenneth Chow.

Took me out. Woke up halfway to him yanking at my teeth. Felt my head jerking, opened my eyes and he said "oops" then put me out again.

Stitches dissolved after like a week. By dissolved, I mean, I was having my first smoke, and they popped out. Bit of blood. No infection. I just rinsed with salt water before and after a smoke.

Probably wasn't a good idea, but it turned out fine.

School paid for a portion of it.
The view. Of course, you only get it for the 10 mins of your consult.
Then for about 5 mins before you go to the next room.

That was the exact same view, in the same spot except the oral surgeon was a bald white guy. The Anesthesia (sleep-shot) only costed 100 bucks.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #69
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Got mine done when I was 17? I just went two separate times to my general dentist.

I took general anesthesia, so I was conscious the whole time they were cutting my gums and yanking them teeth out with the pliers.

Interesting experience. It didn't really hurt. I ate McDonalds for breakfest the day after..
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #70
I am Hook'd on RS

Had 4 of mine done about... 3-4 years ago...

TBH, I think the sound of the saw was more painful than the actual operation >_>
Had congee and blood for all three meals for about a week. Pain meds work wonders as I didn't feel any pain after the operation.
1309#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #71
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakucaekz View Post
I got my wisdom teeth done last year, I think. Maybe it was the year before, I can't remember lol.

Had my top two molars pulled to let the wisdom teeth drift into their place, and bottom two wisdom teeth removed. I was completely knocked out, but apparently it only took 20 minutes. Got it done on a Friday, and was completely OK to eat and looked alright by Monday. Had the melting stitches, they were fine, no infection. Got it done at Oakridge, Dr Grehwal I believe.

Better get it done younger than older. Healing faster and all that jazz.
Dr. Grewal took out all 4 of mine. My case was a little more complicated - my bottom two wisdom teeth were impacted, and to make matters worse, the root of one of them was surrounding a facial nerve, and he told me that I had a 20% chance of losing feeling in my face if the nerve got damaged during the procedure. Thankfully, the procedure went fine. He prescribed me T3's but I never needed to take them - I just bit down on gauze constantly for the next few days and that completely curbed the pain. I was eating normal foods probably 2 days later. Just make sure you don't eat rice until your wounds heal - they get stuck in the holes lol. It was around $1300 to take out all 4.
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #72
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Oh shit...tooth removal. I'm up to 6, and I need 2 more.

Horror story, for my first 4, due to braces-not wisdom, I went under full anesthesia and had a reaction coming out that I don't remember-as in full restraints yelling and freaking out type shit that they had to sedate me, so I didn't wake upu again for another 5 or 6 hours. Everyone was kind of staring at me weird when I remember waking up, which made sense in that everyone was looking for the good show to resume.

Had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed that was not fun. They had to break them apart.

I still have 2 more that need to be removed. I recommend sooner rather than later as the wisdom teeth I still have caused one tooth to shift and it drives me nuts. Especially having had gone through braces, not having perfect teeth at the end is annoying.

Realistically, my whole braces job was botched by the orthodontist.

I had 3 wisdom teeth, 1 molex, 4 canines & 1 mutated teeth removed

Been put under the knife thanks to braces, high five!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #73
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixroar View Post
Dr. Grewal took out all 4 of mine. My case was a little more complicated - my bottom two wisdom teeth were impacted, and to make matters worse, the root of one of them was surrounding a facial nerve, and he told me that I had a 20% chance of losing feeling in my face if the nerve got damaged during the procedure. Thankfully, the procedure went fine. He prescribed me T3's but I never needed to take them - I just bit down on gauze constantly for the next few days and that completely curbed the pain. I was eating normal foods probably 2 days later. Just make sure you don't eat rice until your wounds heal - they get stuck in the holes lol. It was around $1300 to take out all 4.
Wow, $1300? Mine cost 2 large. And it's so true about the rice, I tried to do it for the first day or so, but the Asian in me just had to. It was fun trying to get bloody rice grains out of the holes
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #74
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Only had 2 uppers grow in, almost had enough room to leave them in. Came out so easy, I didn't need the T3's they gave me and was eating solid food the next day.

I was blessed with great teeth, perfectly straight without braces, retainers etc.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #75
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Lol. I feel old now. I removed all 4 when I was just under 18 and it was completely covered by the government. I did it in langley hospital and I was completely knocked out. Took me 2-3 days to recover and everything was back to normal. No pain whatsoever. Didn't even had to take any painkillers prescribed by the dentist.

Do it ASAP op. The longer you wait the worse it'll be. This is not something you should skimp on.
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: