REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Bellingham Residents take out anger over Canadian shoppers online (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672194-bellingham-residents-take-out-anger-over-canadian-shoppers-online.html)

SoulCrusher 08-12-2012 06:27 PM

^Thank you for enlightening us

Quote:

Originally Posted by guava (Post 8001206)
i think for safety reasons we should all stop going to bellingham. some of my friends cars were vandalized there. cops there always target canadian plates for speeding.

falcon 08-12-2012 06:41 PM

I usually go south to buy oil from Wal-Mart (super cheap, and super good Rotella oil NA in Canada) or shopping for clothing. But given the large amount of stores popping up locally that sell clothing at outlet prices I don't find the drive and border wait worth it anymore. When I could get a pair of jeans at Abercrombie for $39 it was worth it. Now their prices have gone up and you have to buy a lot to really make the trip count.

Now, aside from car and motorcycle parts I have a hard time locating in Canada I try when I can to spend my money locally or in Canada at least. A lot of online shops out of the East that have free shipping and great prices you just have to look around a bit.

4.leaf.clover 08-12-2012 06:48 PM

This might not matter, and I might be wrong, but don't you technically have to wait 24 hours before you bring your milk home without paying taxes on it?

dboy 08-12-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.leaf.clover (Post 8001562)
This might not matter, and I might be wrong, but don't you technically have to wait 24 hours before you bring your milk home without paying taxes on it?

Groceries don't get taxed IIRC

GLOW 08-12-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 8001539)
I love driving on the I5

Everyone sticks to the right lane unless
A) Traffic is jammed up and it really makes no difference
B) Overtaking

you forgot C) driving speed limit or slightly slower refusing to go to the right lane - rocking BC plates

:)

Drow 08-12-2012 07:56 PM

i dont get it. don't we have a costco here in vancouver? why the need to go there? are the prices cheaper at that costco?

1exotic 08-12-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingies (Post 8001167)

lol cheap Surrey fucks..

subordinate 08-12-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow (Post 8001639)
i dont get it. don't we have a costco here in vancouver? why the need to go there? are the prices cheaper at that costco?

Was going to fail you, but realized.....valid question lol.

Yes, things such as dairy, eggs and certain proteins are at great prices. Milk is pretty much half to what we pay in Vancouver. And chicken thighs are damn cheap. Not sure on lbs, but a pack of thighs, roughly 24-28 thighs is priced at about 10-12bucks.

Not to mention the Gas at the Costco is at a great price too, often long waits because of Vancouverites filling jerry cans.

twitchyzero 08-12-2012 08:05 PM

^ bigger portions...cheaper price

Drow 08-12-2012 08:08 PM

i see... i rmb the chicken wings my parents got from the states were always huge as fuark.

JesseBlue 08-12-2012 09:21 PM

we should complain about the left lane hoggers here in bc and not just south of the border...

asian_XL 08-12-2012 09:44 PM

and in Canada...we have this.

Vancouver Residents take out anger over Chinese Mainlander shoppers online

El Bastardo 08-12-2012 09:53 PM

In opposed to:

Bellingham Residents take out anger over South Asian shoppers with Canadian passports

wahyinghung 08-12-2012 09:54 PM

That's why I always drive the extra mile to Marysville and also avoid the Seattle Premium Outlet....

CorneringArtist 08-12-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahyinghung (Post 8001755)
That's why I always drive the extra mile to Marysville and also avoid the Seattle Premium Outlet....

They finished the new parkades the last time I was there, but I STILL saw BC plates parking where there wasn't a parking spot.

:seriously::facepalm:

1exotic 08-12-2012 10:04 PM

Once milk hits store shelves on average doesn't it expire 3 weeks after that?
how much milk is dem Surrey goons going to slurp down

HondaGuy 08-12-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8001763)
They finished the new parkades the last time I was there, but I STILL saw BC plates parking where there wasn't a parking spot.

:seriously::facepalm:

You are right.
I was there on wed. and the parking area is completed. There are 2 levels now, downstairs is sheltered where top level is open. Located near banana republic entrance.

TypeRNammer 08-12-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow (Post 8001639)

They carry certain products that Canadian costco's doesn't

EDIT: few of the members mention some reasons already

One time they had a sale on Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, 6 quarts for 26.99:ahwow:

StylinRed 08-12-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 8001766)

if you look in the back of the shelf for a "fresh" jug it'll last 1 month

but as has been said they drink tea/milk, big families, buying not just for them but friends/neighbours/family, its used in food, etc,etc

so its no surprise

my family and i drink lots of milk too we go through an average of 3, 4L jugs in a week (mainly just from drinking tea and the odd bowl of cereal)

but we wouldn't buy milk from the states, someone touched on the reasons why in here already

November 08-12-2012 10:46 PM

You guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but the milk, chicken and eggs in the states are cheaper for a reason. As Stylin says, it's been touched on already, but I'm hoping this will go a little more noticed.

Milk: America’s Health Problem

for those of you who are lazy to read:
!

Same goes for chickens. The use of hormones in raising chickens is banned in Canada. Not so much in the states. And that leads us to the eggs.

I can understand that the deals are really hard to pass up, but this is definitely not stuff that I could feed my family with. When you see a chicken breast that is big enough to be a turkey breast, i'd stay away.

Manic! 08-12-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 8001766)

All of it, We drink milk like it's water. I can drink close to 2 liters a day no problem.

Alatar 08-12-2012 11:09 PM

I'm not even of the southeast asian variety, and I can easily go through 2-3L in a day. Depends on what I feel like drinking.

Harvey Specter 08-13-2012 12:29 AM

It's just milk, other products are pretty cheap. My viet friend goes down almost every weekend, he gets meat because it's really cheap and not only is the food cheap but supposedly Costco gas is really cheap compared to other gas outlets.

Manic! 08-13-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 8001642)
lol cheap Surrey fucks..

Better than being broke.

UFO 08-13-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by November (Post 8001812)
You guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but the milk, chicken and eggs in the states are cheaper for a reason. As Stylin says, it's been touched on already, but I'm hoping this will go a little more noticed.

Milk: America’s Health Problem

for those of you who are lazy to read:
The truth about Canadian milk - YouTube!

Same goes for chickens. The use of hormones in raising chickens is banned in Canada. Not so much in the states. And that leads us to the eggs.

I can understand that the deals are really hard to pass up, but this is definitely not stuff that I could feed my family with. When you see a chicken breast that is big enough to be a turkey breast, i'd stay away.

Lol you use a video produced by the Canadian dairy farmers to make this point? While Canadian cows don't get hormones specificially, they don't say what other milk production enhancements our cows get, and you'd be naive if you think they are all just regular everyday dairy cows.

While I can't speak to other retailers, Costco's milk is rBST and hormone free. I recall their chicken and eggs are also, but can't confirm at this time. So how come their stuff is so cheap? I've been told the US government heavily subsidizes their farmers, seems legit enough to me.