REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Unfortunately there will always be ignorant people, I see no problems with teaching creationism and evolution as long as you teach both and let the kids decide for themselves which is more plausible. But either or cant be forced upon anyone or else you create ignorant people like this. I'm sure most kids will realize which is more plausible, prime example? Santa clause. I'm not going to lie, I believed, with a passion that he was real... I mean Tim Allen made it so convincing, even explained how he got down apartments. But more to the point, if you're taught both and you continue to believe someone like bill nye is a heretic that causes gods wrath upon your country... Then I'm sure natural selection will catch up to you, though you won't believe it. Vice versa, I'm sure we'll all go to hell and suffer eternally because of how mislead we are by the devils word. Personally... You're all going to hell... I mean c'mon, evolution is just a "theory"
Advertisement
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #53
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post
Unfortunately there will always be ignorant people, I see no problems with teaching creationism and evolution as long as you teach both and let the kids decide for themselves which is more plausible. But either or cant be forced upon anyone or else you create ignorant people like this. I'm sure most kids will realize which is more plausible, prime example? Santa clause. I'm not going to lie, I believed, with a passion that he was real... I mean Tim Allen made it so convincing, even explained how he got down apartments. But more to the point, if you're taught both and you continue to believe someone like bill nye is a heretic that causes gods wrath upon your country... Then I'm sure natural selection will catch up to you, though you won't believe it. Vice versa, I'm sure we'll all go to hell and suffer eternally because of how mislead we are by the devils word. Personally... You're all going to hell... I mean c'mon, evolution is just a "theory"

Is this real life?...
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
its only 3mins long and we've all watched dumber videos on here almost seems like ppl are afraid to entertain the other sides thoughts... kind of like what creationists are ridiculed for
I tried, but stopped after the scary looking woman came on. It's not worth it. That guy spent first part of his argument defending Creationism claiming it's taught in Africa and a bunch of third world countries.

I group Creationists in the same camp as those who question if Elvis is really dead.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #55
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Just do what I do and make up your own mind. I don't push anything I believe on anyone else and I'm open to ideas.

If you don't question what you believe in whether you believe in evolution or you're a Christian, you're doing it wrong. Nothing is proven. You should never be sure. If you're sure, you have no room to grow as a person and THAT is when your world becomes both complicated...and incredibly boring. I know what I believe but there's isn't a moment that I don't wonder.

Why not learn the other side anyways? Knowledge can never be a bad thing. Science and religion are always afraid of each other for some reason and people on either side think the other is a threat to their way of life...and it is...but that isn't a bad thing. If you discover that religion makes you happy, then AWESOME. If you discover that science makes you want to deny the religion you've believed in, then AWESOME. Either way, you're making a decision for yourself and finding your own truth.

I've never understood why people have to care so much about what other people believe. I don't think science hinders religion or the other way around. It's the wackjob zealots on either side that somehow need to validate themselves by trying to convince others they're wrong that ruin this shit for everyone.

For example, I'm not Buddist but I once stumbled on an amazing temple in Japan (Kamakura) where a guy (I don't know if monk is the correct term) led me down a flight of stairs through a complete dark cave and down a hallway until I came to this huge room full of tiny Buddah statues and candles. It was beautiful. He asked me if I wanted to meditate with him. I told him I'm not Buddist and he said it didn't matter. I didn't need to pray to anyone specific...just sit, relax and clear your mind. It didn't matter to either of us that we didn't share the same view and I was totally grateful that he shared such a unique cultural experience with me.

TL;DR: Who cares? Do everything. Learn everything. Keep your mind open.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #56
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If you don't question what you believe in whether you believe in evolution or you're a Christian, you're doing it wrong.
No you're not, you are being a rational human being.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #57
resident Oil Guru

Do I need to question "the theory of gravity?" "germ theory"?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Do I need to question "the theory of gravity?" "germ theory"?
Really you went there?

Oh well then my response to that would be: Can it even be questioned? And tested and disproven or proven? Then of course.

That's the thing about these goofy arguments. People say "the answer is this" or "the answer is that". Well science isn't an answer to anything. It is the question. That's the whole point. It is the question of "how does this work" or "how did that get there" or "how does this affect this"? These are all questions to which we try to find the answer. But overall, there is no one "answer". Unless you're narrow minded. IN that case the answer to everything is "because god. "
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #59
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Pretty sure this is fake, did anyone actually click the link?

other headlines:

- "Todd Akin Agrees to Debate ‘Monkey-Lover’ Bill Nye"

- "Liberals Celebrating Independence With Flag-Burning Gay Orgy Birth Control Expo at Jefferson Memorial"
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #60
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
anyway i had an inkling most responders didn't watch the response video it would have been nice to read some thoughts on it ah well :P
I watched it the first time I opened this post. Why don't you share your thoughts? Its complete garbage - those are mine.

There are mechanisms to make organisms go from simple to complex (ie. Gene Amplification).

The fact that stars and fossils exist and are observable is not determined by our 'world view.'

The bible is not observational science - and I would like the name of this eyewitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Really you went there?
I think he is on the same page - pointing out there is not a legion of people against the 'theory' of gravitation like there is for the 'theory' of evolution.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #61
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
We've been over that in the thread where miss America contestants were asked if the theory of evolution should be taught in school. Am I the only one that remembers?
But in seriousness whether science or religion is right, we have to keep an opened mind and be respectful of others beliefs, no matter how outrageous we believe it is. I'm atheist but I would never rule out the possibility of intellegent design

Quote:
TL;DR: Who cares? Do everything. Learn everything. Keep your mind open.
Wasn't too long, did read it, and I do agree with everything. But I feel science does hinder religion and religion hinders science. The more we learn about ourselves and the universe we exist in, the harder it is to deny that it disproves a lot of religious beliefs. The Greeks were great scientist, architects and philosophers, but they also had their myths and religion, they believed every morning apollo would drag the sun across the sky on his chariot. It's hard to believe that now that we have progressed farther in science and astronomy especially.

Galileo Galilei was forced by the church to repent his research and beliefs because it would disprove what was literally interpreted from the bible.
If you don't know who that man is already then I would suggest reading up on him. Years later we realized he was right.
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #62

This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #63
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Pretty sure this is fake, did anyone actually click the link?

other headlines:

- "Todd Akin Agrees to Debate ‘Monkey-Lover’ Bill Nye"

- "Liberals Celebrating Independence With Flag-Burning Gay Orgy Birth Control Expo at Jefferson Memorial"
lol he is right... W'all/we all just got trolled.

Top right corner of the website: "The Global Satirical Newspaper of Record"

Also in the About section:

Quote:
Q. Are your newstories real?

A. No. Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #64
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
If you discover that religion makes you happy, then AWESOME. If you discover that science makes you want to deny the religion you've believed in, then AWESOME. Either way, you're making a decision for yourself and finding your own truth.

I've never understood why people have to care so much about what other people believe.
I think the truth matters. It's wrong to allow creationists to mislead youngsters into believing that the world is only 10,000 years or dinosaurs and human coexisted.

It's wrong to allow parents restrain their children to proper medical treatment just because they believe in faith healing. Just google "faith healing death" and you'll understand the magnitude.

It's wrong to deny rape victims of an abortion just because the church doesn't agree.

Why should the society give the mega church the tax breaks while the evangelists fly in private jets profiting from the poor?
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #65
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I think the truth matters.
So we assume we know what truth is?

Science is based on putting faith in your 5 senses. Religion is based on putting faith in God. I don't see how you can say either is truth since both requires faith.

It is just easier to put your faith only on your 5 senses since you use it everyday and it's familiar. That doesn't make it truth. I don't think anyone can claim they know the truth.
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #66
resident Oil Guru

I stopped reading once you said Science requires faith. so hard my head hurts..
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post

Science is based on putting faith in your 5 senses. Religion is based on putting faith in God. I don't see how you can say either is truth since both requires faith.

It is just easier to put your faith only on your 5 senses since you use it everyday and it's familiar. That doesn't make it truth. I don't think anyone can claim they know the truth.
This post....

is so... fucking... stupid...

It literally causes me physical pain. I have this throbbing headache right behind my eyeballs thanks to you, you fucking IDIOT.

What... the.... FUCK

I should have followed LiquidTurbo and not read past the first moronic statement.

Ouch.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #68
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

How does science require faith? Sure, I can put my faith in a scientist for stating something that I have no knowledge about, but there's no putting faith on my sense of smell or my eyesight. I know what I'm looking at, touching, smelling, hearing. It's the same way how you can prove the law of gravity with simple experiments. You don't have to hope that an object is going to fall at a constant rate compared to when you tested it the previous week... it simply does.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #69
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
What the FUCK did I just read?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
What the FUCK did I just read?
The twisted logic it takes to be religious
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #71
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:

sigh, the difference between faith and science is.

science can be tested and proven. Example if someone finds a modern rabbit skeleton fossil in pre-Cambrian time then it's possible to say evolution/plate tectonics/radioactive dating is wrong. Then anyone who agrees/disagrees with that result can do their own testing to verify it.

Whereas Faith is that it is always right and it can never be wrong. If you think it's wrong, no, you're wrong. Even if you have all the evidence in the world against it.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #72
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

Did your Phil 101 professor teach you that yesterday?
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #73
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

From reddit

BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #74
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts

Now show me your facts
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #75
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Now show me your facts
lol @ "related items also bought"
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold