REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #101
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think most of you mockers assume that I agree with those nut job creationists that think the Earth is 6,000 years old, do not accept dinosaurs existed, etc...

I believe there is a creator and everything is a result of His design; including the mechanism of evolution. I don't see why it has to be one or the other since having a designer is not mutually exclusive with the existence of evolution.

I also believe science and faith coexist perfectly fine. Science explains the how; not the why. Faith gives me the explanation of why; not how. Actually, they complement each other. I appreciate the love of the creator through the complexity of the world discovered through science.

Hopefully, that clarifies my standpoint.
Advertisement
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #102
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
I think most of you mockers assume that I agree with those nut job creationists that think the Earth is 6,000 years old, do not accept dinosaurs existed, etc...

I believe there is a creator and everything is a result of His design; including the mechanism of evolution. I don't see why it has to be one or the other since having a designer is not mutually exclusive with the existence of evolution.

I also believe science and faith coexist perfectly fine. Science explains the how; not the why. Faith gives me the explanation of why; not how. Actually, they complement each other. I appreciate the love of the creator through the complexity of the world discovered through science.

Hopefully, that clarifies my standpoint.
Serious question. Why do you think creationists who think the earth is 6k years old and don't accept dinosaurs are 'nutjobs'?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Serious question. Why do you think creationists who think the earth is 6k years old and don't accept dinosaurs are 'nutjobs'?
As most of you have stated. There is physical evidence that suggests the dinosaurs existed and that the Earth is more than 6,000 years old. Based on what has been said in this thread, it seems some of these creationist just ignore this evidence as invalid. Thus, I consider those who ignore evidence as nutjobs.

Physical evidence should not contradict the existence of a designer. That's my belief. What we discover about the world reveals that there needs to be a design. I know some choose to believe in randomness bringing about these designs, but I think that's absurd. Those people choose to believe throwing Legos into a black box and shaking it enough times will result in a nicely built Lego car that has perfectly functioning engine, brakes, etc... Of course, that's possible, but I choose the simpler explanation of a designer. Occam's razor - simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #104
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
As most of you have stated. There is physical evidence that suggests the dinosaurs existed and that the Earth is more than 6,000 years old. Based on what has been said in this thread, it seems some of these creationist just ignore this evidence as invalid. Thus, I consider those who ignore evidence as nutjobs.

Physical evidence should not contradict the existence of a designer. That's my belief. What we discover about the world reveals that there needs to be a design. I know some choose to believe in randomness bringing about these designs, but I think that's absurd. Those people choose to believe throwing Legos into a black box and shaking it enough times will result in a nicely built Lego car that has perfectly functioning engine, brakes, etc... Of course, that's possible, but I choose the simpler explanation of a designer. Occam's razor - simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Funny how you mention Occam's Razor.

"The Universe exists and God Created it. " -> The Universe just exists.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #105
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
so if you believe there was a designer, or a higher being or entity or form of power (whatever form it/they may be).

why are other religions wrong? doesn't it seem like all religion stems from the same thing?

while believing in a higher power isnt absurd, i don't know if you can say Christianity is right. look how many other religions are out there. you're saying they're ALL wrong?

yeah, it's crazy how everything just works out and the way the universe functions and all that.

but what if this higher power you're talking about isnt a "conscious" being.

it just is. the energy driving the cosmos, all of existence.

that could very well be "god". aka everything is god. math, chemistry, is the language of "god" or the universe. think about it. if you had the power to manipulate atoms and molecules, you would be god. wouldn't you? you could create, and destroy. the language of math and chemistry is universal as far as i know.

and as for your lego in the box theory. yeah... shaking a box and hoping a cool lego set is built is HIGHLY unlikely, but it's still possible (mind you the universe is much more complex than lego).

but the more and more we find out about our universe, the more we find out that could possibly be true. since there are almost infinite amounts of boxes shaking with lego inside...

that being said, there are a shit ton of boxes that fail. im not just talking about planets with no life. or solar systems without life.
im talking about galaxies with no life.
galaxy clusters with no life.
super clusters without life.

now with multiverse theories, there are many "universes" out there... im willing to be there are universes where there is no life.

and of course vice versa. there will be life in all of the above said (although statistically it will be a minuscule percentage).

so why pick christianity?

if you were born in another culture, wouldn't you just be as easily persuaded to believe what that culture believes in?

if you take a macro view, and visit other life on other planets, there must be alien cultures with religion as well.

now you take ALL of life and compare every religion that has ever and will exist in the cosmos.
im sure you can find similarities. who's right? why is it Christianity?

or are you not sure and you just pick Christianity because it's closest to home and one that everyone around you agrees on?

what is it about christianity that makes it true? a lot of other religions state the same things.

do you believe the fundamental basis of christnanity (creator or higher power) which is the same as other religions.
or do you believe in the micro details... such as heaven and hell, angels and all those "folklore" type stories.

there's a big difference in my opinion. believing in the fundamentals of religion is much different than attending church and singing songs and all that.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 09-08-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #106
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Those people choose to believe throwing Legos into a black box and shaking it enough times will result in a nicely built Lego car that has perfectly functioning engine, brakes, etc...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #107
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I should have stopped at the first line. Now I have a massive headache going into work this morning.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #108

Quote:
Funny how you mention Occam's Razor.

"The Universe exists and God Created it. " -> The Universe just exists.
To say something just exists without any precursor takes a lot more faith than believing there is a creator. Evidence from science points to everything having a causality. Things don't just happen by themselves without some input. When you find a perpetual motion machine please tell me.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #109
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
To say something just exists without any precursor takes a lot more faith than believing there is a creator. Evidence from science points to everything having a causality. Things don't just happen by themselves without some input. When you find a perpetual motion machine please tell me.
Posted via RS Mobile
So what/who created the creator?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #110
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Exactly.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #111
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
So we assume we know what truth is?

Science is based on putting faith in your 5 senses. Religion is based on putting faith in God. I don't see how you can say either is truth since both requires faith.

It is just easier to put your faith only on your 5 senses since you use it everyday and it's familiar. That doesn't make it truth. I don't think anyone can claim they know the truth.
Regarding the truth, it's all about assessing likelihood isn't it. Which discipline is more likely to give us the truth? Which has been more helpful in extending our life expectancy, lowering infant mortality? Praying or modern medicine? Just because we don't know what happened before the big bang, do we give astrologists the same respect as astronomers?

Science is based on evidence, religion is based on indoctrination. Depending on where you were born, you become a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist, etc.

Of course, one can debate all day if we just had a dream of being a butterfly or if we really are butterflies having a dream of being a human. Or, how many angels can sit on the head of a pin. At least we are fortunate we don't live in the days where they burn witches anymore.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #112
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post

Science is based on evidence, religion is based on indoctrination. Depending on where you were born, you become a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist, etc.

Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #113
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

Serious question, are you Agnostic or Christian?

If I'm following correctly; you do not believe dinosaur bones were planted on Earth by the Devil to trick people, and you do not believe the Earth is six thousand years old, so, I assume, you also do not believe the Earth and all its life was created in seven days?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #114

Quote:
My understanding is that by definition the creator is the source of all things. There is nothing before the creator.

My response was just to your statement that the universe just is. I'm saying the creator is just is.

Difference is the universe-just-is theory requires no intelligence; just randomness vs a creator theory which does require intelligence.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #115
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
My understanding is that by definition the creator is the source of all things. There is nothing before the creator.
Posted via RS Mobile
So you mean energy?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #116
resident Oil Guru

Quote:

My response was just to your statement that the universe just is. I'm saying the creator is just is.

Difference is the universe-just-is theory requires no intelligence; just randomness vs a creator theory which does require intelligence.
Posted via RS Mobile
You just demonstrated a contradiction where you said you follow Occam's Razor.

Clearly you don't.

So what is your evidence for a creator? Clear, demonstrable evidence ?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #117
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Maybe this guy is a clever troll.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #118
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
why doesnt he ever reply my posts haha...

im not trying to lure him into any trap, but he just avoids everything i legitimately ask.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #119
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Because either

A) tl;dr or
B) no answer

On a side note, this troll article turned into religion talk

I used to believe in religion, then I grew up. For me, it was all about having something to look up to.
Posted via RS Mobile
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #120
resident Oil Guru

Me too, but I stopped at Santa Claus.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #121
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
I used to believe in religion, then I grew up. For me, it was all about having something to look up to.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah same here. Religion is nice when you feel like you have no control over what happens to you or need an explanation for something you don't understand. Both of which tends to happen to young kids or uneducated people.

Other than that I guess it brings people together? Which is both a good and bad thing actually..
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #122
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
lol, aznightmare has failed over 10 posts in this thread supporting science over creationism, but he's yet to say a single word....
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #123
resident Oil Guru

It's hard to defend your shit when there's no evidence.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #124
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
lol, aznightmare has failed over 10 posts in this thread supporting science over creationism, but he's yet to say a single word....
Hmm that sounds familiar lol
Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #125
resident Oil Guru

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:
To say something just exists without any precursor takes a lot more faith than believing there is a creator. Evidence from science points to everything having a causality. Things don't just happen by themselves without some input.
Posted via RS Mobile

Universe just existing - implausible
Some deity somehow magically involved in the universe's creation, but himself can just exist - plausible.

This post thanked by: