REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #51
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
I'm confused: why would the PO issue you a VI while you were issued one for the same thing less than 30 days ago? It serves no purpose that I can think of except for him being able to record that he issued one.

Redundant.
For your answer, read post #25.
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #52
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakgtp View Post
this is why i plan to get airbags. officer comes over just slowly raise the car

...and then get a VI for having airbags that can be operated from inside the car....and probably removed suspension parts.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #53
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yea that's the one thing the other cop told me too he was talking about airbags since he said he used to drive a lowered truck with air suspension, that you can't have the switches inside your cabin, leave them in the trunk.

But what I don't understand is that some exotics that have air suspension (cup kits specifically) from the factory come with these switches obviously inside the car, and as well as some other high end luxury cars with factory air suspension as well have the switches inside.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #54
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
thats what your tax dollars pay for, to have cops make sure your tires arent too wide,

wonderfull isnt it?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #55
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
yea that's the one thing the other cop told me too he was talking about airbags since he said he used to drive a lowered truck with air suspension, that you can't have the switches inside your cabin, leave them in the trunk.

But what I don't understand is that some exotics that have air suspension (cup kits specifically) from the factory come with these switches obviously inside the car, and as well as some other high end luxury cars with factory air suspension as well have the switches inside.
I think it's fine if its OEM
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #56
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
For your answer, read post #25.
Thanks, though when G-spec showed his previous VI to the second PO, is there no way of showing that the inspection had not yet been conducted? If he was able to show that, that's where I'm inferring the redundancy from.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #57

^ the second Burnaby cop, I'm pretty sure he gave me the ticket because of what I said as soon as he walked up to my car.

I JOKINGLY went "You're already wasting your time officer, I already got one" referring to the VI i received from Sho_BC, a week earlier.
But he ended up taking it seriously and got a bit angry at me, so he goes "WHAT! I'm wasting MY time" in the tone of who the fuck are you to tell me anything, I'm a cop...

In any case, started off rough which is most likely the reason he gave me the VI, redundant or not... but by the end of the interaction, he was cool about it went over a few things with me, we discussed air suspension and few other details.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #58
I subscribe to Revscene

At first I felt a bit of sympathy for you for being hassled over and over about your legal tire/suspension setup, but after you posted about swearing at the police officer who stopped you I'm not surprised you ended up handcuffed and receiving a VI.

Zulu: any idea why suspension that is adjustable from inside the car is permitted if it is a factory option, but not if it is an aftermarket setup?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #59
RS Peace Officer

Based on the cars I stopped with aftermarket installs....2 words....quality control. Saw vehicles with all suspension removed and just air bags or hydraulics, others with holes cut in the frame to allow the car to go lower, ones with no shocks, springs etc. Regs say any install must be with a system manufactured and certified by the manuafcturer for "on road use". The systems I inspected ran from backyard chop jobs to bits & pieces from various certified systems cobbled together to fit on the car/truck. Kinda similar to the various "HID conversion kits using legal parts".

There are all sorts of things needed to be considered when installing an adjustable system...everything from legal ground clearance if it leaks/fails or is completely lowered, backup systems to prevent this happening, to keeping the front end in alignment as the height varies and even having regulation bumper and headlight/tail light heights maintained.

Last edited by zulutango; 09-27-2012 at 06:11 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #60

seberry you should really read and understand a post before replying... that incident where I told a cop off is totally separate and has nothing to do with this situation.
That was simply a case of a cop profiling me pulling me over to see "what I'm up too" as he himself admitted when I asked him why he pulled me over in the first place, his response "Because I can, and it's my job"
And I realized I was sick and tired of it and decided to finally speak my mind as opposed to always keeping my mouth shut and taking it up to that point.

I find it interesting that these infamous Surrey cops along this stretch of King George HWY around the last few skytrain stations, where they have a police station, I have been riding around here for months now since I moved out to king george skytrain, cops everywhere all the time.... and not ONCE did I even get a stare down from any of these cops here let alone be pulled over
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #61
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
Thanks, though when G-spec showed his previous VI to the second PO, is there no way of showing that the inspection had not yet been conducted? If he was able to show that, that's where I'm inferring the redundancy from.
When the inspection is done the customer gets a windshield sticker and completed report. The inspector is reqwuired to send his "passed" copy to MVB and that removes it from the computer database that shows an outstanding inspection required. Until this is done the database shows it has not been done. I have stopped cars with outstandindgdefects and a "passed" inspection report. The regs say that, in spite of having a "passed" report, inspectors may require another inspection if defects still exist...for the very reasons I mentioned. It depends on what level of Vi was issued...#1 requires immediate removal, #2 requires it to be passed within 30 days. If the Cop's opinion that the defect is serious enough then he can immediately remove it from the roadway, in spite of a previous 30 day VI having been issued. OP didn't say if it was a #1 or #2 but assume it was a #2 as he was still driving it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #62

^ Well then in that case I'm almost positive if you encounter an owner with inspection pass papers but the database showing it hasn't been done, proper procedure would be to tow the car meaning Box 1.

All 3 of my VI's were Box 2, and my inspection pass was indeed a legit pass, so since not even that is good enough like I said I will go to a different shop, and on top of that even a third inspection at an ICBC facility, I'm still trying to work that out as I have been extremely busy with work lately, probably had about 5 days off total during the last few weeks.
I don't actually place the pass sticker on my windshield like it said I should in fear of being profiled further if the sticker was to be spotted by an officer, I just leave all the papers together along with insurance.

1st VI was VPD on Cambie and Broadway, for an "aftermarket exhaust" the bike cop would not accept the fact that VQ engines (350z/g35/FX35) come sounding like aftermarket exhaust direct from the factory, for anyone that's drove past any of these cars and heard them you know exactly what I'm talking about.

2nd VI was Richmond RCMP Sho_BC originally his partner that pulled me over alone, then after about 15 minutes fiddling with the paperwork I gave him not knowing how to deal with it, he called his supervisor (sho) to come and finish the job, this was by New West HWY, this was for suspicion that my rear tires rub my quarter panels under suspension compression.

3rd was Burnaby RCMP right by 10th and Edmonds for the exact same thing as my 2nd VI
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #63
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Tax dollars hard at work. Good thing the Rcmp have cleaned out the rest of the crimes in the community before they started worry about VI's. Good work once again.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
seberry you should really read and understand a post before replying... that incident where I told a cop off is totally separate and has nothing to do with this situation.
That was simply a case of a cop profiling me pulling me over to see "what I'm up too" as he himself admitted when I asked him why he pulled me over in the first place, his response "Because I can, and it's my job"
Profiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #65
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP560 View Post
Tax dollars hard at work. Good thing the Rcmp have cleaned out the rest of the crimes in the community before they started worry about VI's. Good work once again.
If the rest of the crimes in the community were as easy to spot and identify as vehicles like this, which have been modified specifically to attract attention... well... cops would have their hands full.

Maybe if people wouldn't mod their cars to this extreme... save the "waste of time" on both sides.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
If the rest of the crimes in the community were as easy to spot and identify as vehicles like this, which have been modified specifically to attract attention... well... cops would have their hands full.

Maybe if people wouldn't mod their cars to this extreme... save the "waste of time" on both sides.
BINGO!
Quote:
Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #67

Lenko you still in my thread ? called me an e-thug last page, now calling my car "extreme" you lost your privilege to call out other guy's cars the day you riced out your first Cavalier bro

moving on, secondary point..... to anyone suggesting I should change something about my car, you obviously aren't a car guy because you would know what that suggestion would mean to one.
On that same point why should I change anything about my car if there is nothing wrong with it legally ? change it because what.... some officers may "think" it's illegal ?
is that a real suggestion you guys are putting out for real ?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #68

Nobody's suggesting you change your car... only that if you mod your car so it draws attention... expect that it will draw attention from EVERYONE.

It's like if you're a gangster walking around town with your guns showing, you're gonna get more attention from the cops than if you keep them under your coat - you make your car stick out like a sore thumb and borderline legal, cops are going to notice it more readily, and be more likely to confirm that it is legal.

Whether you want to make your car a little more plain, or just live with the heat, is entirely up to you... just don't whine when the sore thumb gets smashed repeatedly.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #69

I get what you're saying, I did something like that a while ago when I switched from chrome lipped wheels to all black for a more subtle look.

I remember specifically when I went from stock OEM wheels to a new set of chrome lipped wheels, literally within the first month I had gotten pulled over like 5 times, ended up receiving minor infractions like window tint and improper plate location, etc....
but while I drove on stock wheels for almost 2 years without once getting pulled over.
I realized the chrome was obviously getting much unwanted attention so I spent another few grand getting a new set of black wheels.

My next plan is to just raise the car back up a little bit and spending another few grand installing a form of air suspension that will better regulate the one issue some cops seem to have a problem with, which is my ride height.
Now it's not the type of air suspension that Zulutango spoke against where you literally have to remove suspension components like springs, that would just be digging me into a bigger hole, no with the one I'm getting you remove nothing at all.

I'm actually looking forward to this, as when wifey drives the car around she will have a much easier time going places since she'll be able to raise the car up for clearance, maybe that will get her to stop curbing my wheels for fcks sake
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #70
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Get a roof rack and a box, they won't suspect a thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #71
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

It's like if you're a gangster walking around town with your guns showing, you're gonna get more attention from the cops than if you keep them under your coat - you make your car stick out like a sore thumb and borderline legal, cops are going to notice it more readily, and be more likely to confirm that it is legal.
But the thing is, waving your guns around isn't legal, his car in fact, is. When he clearly proved it is, the hassle should stop there I believe. Wondering, if you pass the v.i. do you pay for it out of pocket? Sorry if it already said. Seems fucked if you just have to pay because I cop thought you might be doing something illegal, and its clearly proven you didn't. I was threatened with a V.I. once, but casual chatting with the cop about it and he seemed a lot less interested in ruining my day, which was nice. Again, my car had already recently passed my out of province inspection, and was unmodified since that inspection.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #72

^ yea you always pay out of pocket, total so far from the first guy that issued me a VI when he thought my stock exhaust was aftermarket, I paid $100+ to get a pre inspection done at a shop that was so strict the guy was basically telling me if it ain't stock it's illegal, I mean this guy went off on me telling me I would fail because my airbag light is on (I have aftermarket seats, stock seats have airbags in them) according to him even though they are street legal for North American use official Sparco seats, they were illegal, lol, and the other shit that cracked me up is he was trying to tell me my lights were illegal because I took the much better projector headlights from a 2007 coupe and replaced my shitty reflector lights that came with the 2003 coupes

And then I went on to pay another $150+ for the actual inspection at a VI facility that I passed, the only actual problem I had there they told me to fix was one of my bulbs was burnt out had to get new hid's.

I'm heading over to Drive Hard in a few hours so they could look at the car see if there's any issues with it that may prevent it from being 100% legal. And then I have to set something up with ICBC after I install my air suspension, so they themselves could take a look at everything.

From my own knowledge the two things that might be a problem if we're going 110% by the book that I acknowledge and the sole reason I have done it this way was for safety reasons. First one is my license plate the bottom part is tucked into the bumper, it doesn't fly off at highway speeds while the top is securely ziptied, it's basically the white part of the license plate on the bottom that has nothing on it anyway, I don't know why anybody would care if that part is visible or not. I know most cops don't care about it as long as it's clearly visible, but some will get picky since you're supposed to completely show your plate. The reason it's mounted like that is because it's the safest method, I had it on the front of my bumper before with very strong double sided 3M tape that friggin survived a road trip all the way from here to Montreal, but the first cop that gave me the VI deemed it unsafe, lol, ripped it off and confiscated it, suggested securing it in the vent area, so I did that even though this Burnaby RCMP guy said the vent area is illegal.

Also my headlights are modified from stock, but not in a way that they impede the light beam pattern since I have projectors, and I understand modifying them in any way that will impede light is illegal. And my turn signal is an amber LED, although I do remember reading somewhere that you can only have white and orange as your turn signal, and the LED I got in there is red. I actually had a white LED in there before and almost got in a few accidents at night turning left because combined with the projector light a white turn signal tends to blend in, so I would honestly and completely disagree that white turn signal should be legal in any way for that sole simple reason. So I swapped it out for a RED one which does not blend in and is clearly visible any time of night, I haven't had any near accidents since I've done that swap so it was a safety concern of mine I addressed.

I'll update my pre inspection status later in the afternoon when I get home, I took today off work to get a few of these things done, so it's not just the money I'm spending getting inspections, it's the few hundred bucks I'm losing by not going to work today. And before anybody jumps in and calls me a drug dealer because only they make a few hundred an hour, lol, I'm in home renovation, depending on projects there's some where I make a few hundred a day and the others just my base salary.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #73
RS Peace Officer

I turned around looked at him and yelled out "Go fuck yourself" as you can imagine it didn't end well but could have been a lot worse

This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
But the thing is, waving your guns around isn't legal, his car in fact, is.
Fine then: walk around with a big bulge under your coat, and whether it's a gun or not, you're gonna attract more attention from the cops than if you don't have that bulge.

Hey, I know the feeling, and it's not from modding my car. My old GLC back in the day was white with brown trim. I never got a second glance from cops, despite it having several rust spots. Then I painted over the rust spots with flat black rust paint... suddenly I was getting stopped every two weeks, and invariably the cop wanted to check the operation of things like horn, lights, e-brake, etc. And since all were in working order, they always sent me on my way without a problem. Eventually I bought several more cans of paint and spray-bombed the entire car flat black... and voila! no more random "safety checks".

Difference was, with big blobs of clashing rust paint, the car LOOKED like a POS, and thus attracted more attention. I never considered myself "being profiled" - hell, if I saw a car on the street looking like that, I'd think it looked like a rustbucket that shouldn't be on the road, too. If YOU saw my car at that stage, you'd probably have thought, "What a piece of junk" as well, just because of how it looked.

But that's NOT "profiling".
Quote:
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
you lost your privilege to call out other guy's cars the day you riced out your first Cavalier bro
Everyone's definition of rice varies... I got sick and tired of being pulled over so I changed my focus from looks to sleeper. And I haven't been pulled over once.

You keep the attitude.. I'll enjoy reading about your stupidity and constant VI's. It's your money you're wasting... while I'm enjoying every minute.

Laws may read in black and white, but cops know shades of gray. It's time you paid attention and learned something.
Closed Thread