REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:22 AM   #25176
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Speaking of steak, did any of you ever go to the Brave Bull on Hastings/Clark? That was a classic. The location was sold to a real estate developer so it's still on topic.

https://vancouversun.com/news/metro/...lls-last-stand
Tried once because of RS rec. Never went back again.

Even on a student budget I thought it was terrible.
Advertisement
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:16 AM   #25177
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I get I'm gonna sound like a cunt here, but I can't imagine paying money for people to cook a steak and some sides. It's literally the easiest thing on the planet to make at home. Like, a baked potato and some shit ass feedlot Alberta sirloin is gonna cost me $50 at the keg, then some shitty ass Rickards red for $9 a pint, or I could grab a potato for $.99 and a dry aged strip from two rivers for $17 that is eleventy billion times better and have money left over for a 4 pack of superflux.
I get people don't do this for a living, but it takes 10 minutes to cook a steak, and 6 minutes to rest it. Buy a meat thermometer if you aren't confident. Pull it out 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower than you want it and rest it. I love going out for a meal, but there is nothing quicker and easier than a steak. I know atmosphere is part of it, but fuckin hell if Cactus or the keg offers that. Listening to Ke$ha or nickleback while I have my meal isn't my idea of ambiance.
Amen, I do it myself because I'm too cheap to pay for a steak at the restaurant most times.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:21 AM   #25178
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,166 Posts
Quote:
I get I'm gonna sound like a cunt here, but I can't imagine paying money for people to cook a steak and some sides. It's literally the easiest thing on the planet to make at home. Like, a baked potato and some shit ass feedlot Alberta sirloin is gonna cost me $50 at the keg
But but but last time I made prime rib, the damn thing was 78 bucks just for the 3 bone aaa roast from Costco and it took me 8h to cook it low and slow. The sides wasn’t much work, but the value proposition isn’t there for prime rib. Maybe normal steaks yes. That’s fast on the grill, but I’m not a huge fan of normal steaks.

I rather have some bimbo serve me, give me some bread and nothing to clean up afterwards.

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:34 AM   #25179

Thanked 4,840 Times in 1,778 Posts
The crust you got on your homemade prime rib looks 100x better than the sad looking grey exteriors on those House of Prime Rib pics a couple pages back...

I personally prefer rib steak to a slice of prime rib roast any day myself. It's the same thing, just with extra maillard crust making it extra delicious.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 03-10-2023 at 06:40 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2023, 06:43 AM   #25180

i mean it tasted pretty damn good using that reverse sear method i found on youtube. but is it MUCH better than the chain restaurants? not really... nor did i ultimately save any money as if you factor in the time, sticks of butter, cleanup, and sides. it works out to about the same if not more than if i were to eat at the keg for 48 bucks 18oz.

Only perk is that i was able to keep the delicious beef bones for my chihuahua's to gnaw on and for the 8h they refused to leave the house due to the amazing smell. Just a once in a while fun activity, but not for serious eaters.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:12 AM   #25181
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,931 Times in 3,881 Posts
Quote:
eleventy billion times better
It really is. Even a grocery store steak handled by anyone vaguely competent with a BBQ is better than what I've eaten and seen in a restaurant. Hit a butchers and get someone with a little practice and it's not even comparable anymore.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2023, 07:25 AM   #25182
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,393 Times in 5,667 Posts
Quote:
I get I'm gonna sound like a cunt here, but I can't imagine paying money for people to cook a steak and some sides. It's literally the easiest thing on the planet to make at home. Like, a baked potato and some shit ass feedlot Alberta sirloin is gonna cost me $50 at the keg, then some shitty ass Rickards red for $9 a pint, or I could grab a potato for $.99 and a dry aged strip from two rivers for $17 that is eleventy billion times better and have money left over for a 4 pack of superflux.
I get people don't do this for a living, but it takes 10 minutes to cook a steak, and 6 minutes to rest it. Buy a meat thermometer if you aren't confident. Pull it out 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower than you want it and rest it. I love going out for a meal, but there is nothing quicker and easier than a steak. I know atmosphere is part of it, but fuckin hell if Cactus or the keg offers that. Listening to Ke$ha or nickleback while I have my meal isn't my idea of ambiance.
Because in general people are useless and can’t cook? Lol

I always love what Bourdain said, somthing along the lines of, if you’re not capable of cooking a meal for friends of a significant other, if you don’t have something in your back pocket you can pull out for a date, even if it’s just spaghetti, then go crawl back into the hole you were born in lol.

Of course you can make a better meal at home but it’s just nice to go out and relax, even when you’re paying $60 for a $30 bottle of wine
Old 03-10-2023, 07:26 AM   #25183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
But but but last time I made prime rib, the damn thing was 78 bucks just for the 3 bone aaa roast from Costco and it took me 8h to cook it low and slow. The sides wasn’t much work, but the value proposition isn’t there for prime rib. Maybe normal steaks yes. That’s fast on the grill, but I’m not a huge fan of normal steaks.

I rather have some bimbo serve me, give me some bread and nothing to clean up afterwards.

Bro why you got that shit on a rack homie? It’s gotta be sitting in its own fat and butter! Lol
Old 03-10-2023, 07:27 AM   #25184
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
i mean it tasted pretty damn good using that reverse sear method i found on youtube. but is it MUCH better than the chain restaurants? not really... nor did i ultimately save any money as if you factor in the time, sticks of butter, cleanup, and sides. it works out to about the same if not more than if i were to eat at the keg for 48 bucks 18oz.

Only perk is that i was able to keep the delicious beef bones for my chihuahua's to gnaw on and for the 8h they refused to leave the house due to the amazing smell. Just a once in a while fun activity, but not for serious eaters.
Invest in a sous vide machine like Anova. Sous vide overnight so you don't have to sit there for 8 hours and sear when you're ready. Can turn any cut, cheap or expensive into perfect roasts. It's never failed me.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #25185
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,914 Posts
Along this topic, @Westopher (or anyone else), what are the top 3-4 butchers that you recommend? Two Rivers is a bit far in the NS. I know of Pete's on Arbutus. Of course, I heard of Windsor's ... but have not been.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:33 AM   #25186

Imo Windsor is like 3 steps below Costco.

Their cuts are consistently tasteless and wayyyy overpriced. I stopped going there for anything but fancy sausage and even that’s crazy
Old 03-10-2023, 07:44 AM   #25187

Thanked 1,766 Times in 908 Posts
I just go to beefway since it's 5 mins from my house. Are they the best or even considered good? I don't know but no real complaints so far. The wife has come home with some random steaks from windsor before and I was not impressed every time. From my memory it was hella expensive and didn't look great.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:54 AM   #25188

which restaurant do you work at/own westopher? ill just come spend my money there instead. Gonna donate money to some friggin place, i rather donate to a fellow RS broski's place.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:41 AM   #25189
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,032 Posts
I go to Queens in New West. Two Rivers is great but just inconvenient being on the NS.

So real estate thread eh? The market has been picking up, lots of new immigrants from HK and Taiwan, and also lots of expats coming back. Trust and confidence in China is at an all time low. These aren't the mega millions people either, we are talking 500k-1m condos. Lots are buying sight unseen so they have a place they can call home when they land. Also lots that have landed and were renting, and now have got on their feet and looking for their first home.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #25190
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
And a plumber can't imagine paying someone $100 to come snake a drain, but people pay him every day to do it.

Yes I can cook myself a steak, but when there is a group of 6-10 of us, I'd rather just go out than do all that work myself, and have to clean up afterwards and shit. If it was just me, yeah I probably would cook at home 95% of the time, but when I go out with a group, i'd rather pay my share to a restaurant than have to deal with the hassle of having that shit at my house.

As far as butchers go, Kea's meats in Burnaby is my go to. Been going there for 10+ years.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:03 AM   #25191

Thanked 1,734 Times in 899 Posts
Yes, just get an insta pot with sous vide and let it cook over night, then just dry the meat and reverse sear.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #25192

Thanked 2,183 Times in 967 Posts
Sous vide steak is great but during the summer I like grilling on charcoal - get a big thick one and keep it on the cool side for the first 30-40 mins before putting it over the coals.

As for butchers - I like Two Rivers, Cioffi's, Windsor (on Main), and Columbus. Costco has good stuff though so I usually just go with them unless I have a special need.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #25193
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Imo Windsor is like 3 steps below Costco.

Their cuts are consistently tasteless and wayyyy overpriced. I stopped going there for anything but fancy sausage and even that’s crazy
Are you talking about Windsor Meats or Windsor Quality Meats on Main?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:50 AM   #25194

I go to Windsor on Hastings and nanaimo

I think they are the same company though are they not?
Old 03-10-2023, 10:20 AM   #25195
My homepage has been set to RS

Windsor on Main is different than the other Windsor Meat locations. Don't know the history, but I am sure there is one between the two brands.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #25196

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Job gains doubled expectations. Gonna be a wild ride.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #25197
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,716 Times in 1,055 Posts
delete
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #25198

Thanked 4,840 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Bro why you got that shit on a rack homie? It’s gotta be sitting in its own fat and butter! Lol
No you don't! You want airflow for more even cooking!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #25199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
No you don't! You want airflow for more even cooking!
I’ll take that buttery bottom
Old 03-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #25200

Thanked 1,734 Times in 899 Posts
Called it many months ago, can't just fix this by messing with interest rates.

It's simple supply and demand. They've done nothing with supply and continue to go along with this route of de globalization. If we're so good make our own damn iPhones let's see how much that will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Job gains doubled expectations. Gonna be a wild ride.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote