REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #26026
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Were you heating with forced air gas furnace before installing heat pumps?
I don't know if certain prior setups, but I was told if I switched from hydronic radiant floor gas heating to electric heat pumps, my heating bill would go up by a lot during the winter months.
I have hydronic baseboards. Temperature regulation as an absolute bitch the year before (winter 2021) on top of the fact that it was having a hard time keeping up with the deep freeze. It didn't help that it was 2 adults, a toddler and 2 cats that year in a large house. My parents have moved into the basement since and having more people in the house helped this winter. This past winter we just turned everything on. When the heat pump isn't warming the room enough the hydronics open and supplement. My parents in the basement doesn't have heatpumps install so the hydronics are active regardless, it just doesn't have to run as hard and it's lowered my bill considerably, to the point that it was saving me $100/month when the heat is on.

If I upgraded my boiler to a newer one (it's still on the same 33 year old one from when the house was built) I can eke out some more efficiency, but maybe only to the tune of $100/m in the winter months. I've decided to just let the thing run and die before swapping it cause the payoff period is so damn long. The guy we brought in to clean it also said the same thing as they don't make it like they used to and that 33yr old lump may last for another decade easy.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #26027
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,866 Times in 1,789 Posts
Quote:
Were you heating with forced air gas furnace before installing heat pumps?
I don't know if certain prior setups, but I was told if I switched from hydronic radiant floor gas heating to electric heat pumps, my heating bill would go up by a lot during the winter months.
There's a lot of details in these sort of statements that need to be added to make sure the comparison is apples to apples.

Was whoever told you that thinking Air to Water Heat pump (retaining hydronic floor), or like a multi-split heat pump?

Gas energy cost is definately much cheaper than energy costs for resistive electric heat (IE electric baseboards).
But heat pumps average about 3 times the efficiency of energy usage. IE: for one unit electrical energy use, you move 3 units of heat.
In our climate (south west coast) it makes energy cost about on par with gas.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2023, 07:40 AM   #26028
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,226 Times in 500 Posts
Ah, so in my case, the statement came up in a discussion of replacing an old boiler and my response was to just run it to the ground cuz I rather put in heat pumps to get AC too. It was at that point where it suggested to have both systems running. Heart pump majority of the year and in winter months use the hydronic radiant floor heating to supplement for heat or else the electric bill from the heat pump will be really high.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:03 AM   #26029

Quote:
Ah, so in my case, the statement came up in a discussion of replacing an old boiler and my response was to just run it to the ground cuz I rather put in heat pumps to get AC too. It was at that point where it suggested to have both systems running. Heart pump majority of the year and in winter months use the hydronic radiant floor heating to supplement for heat or else the electric bill from the heat pump will be really high.
You case is almost exactly like mine, you might end up saving money if you run the heatpumps instead of hydronic, cause I did.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:04 PM   #26030
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Feel like with Rev’s as with Excalibur and other bowling alleys before it, they knew they were sitting on a golf mine and did very little to keep it going or even promote it
also the property taxes on higher property value is killing the business into losses likely making it unsustainable
Old 05-09-2023, 05:08 PM   #26031
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
If they do a blanket rezoning to allow four/six units per lot that would definitely add a lot of housing quickly... Parking would be a nightmare though.
If you follow some of the densified areas in Vancouver East/West they're starting to petition residents (COV) into buying parking passes.

Shrewd home owners are thinking WTF why am I now having to pay $55/year just to freaking park on public streets...while newer home owners like Resident Only parking.

RS.net guys - many of which have a weekend sports cars now have to fork out more just to park their spare cars on the street. Lame.

End of the day, another cashgrab longterm for government.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:30 PM   #26032
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
If you follow some of the densified areas in Vancouver East/West they're starting to petition residents (COV) into buying parking passes.

Shrewd home owners are thinking WTF why am I now having to pay $55/year just to freaking park on public streets...while newer home owners like Resident Only parking.

RS.net guys - many of which have a weekend sports cars now have to fork out more just to park their spare cars on the street. Lame.

End of the day, another cashgrab longterm for government.
Great. That'll drive up the rent for extra my parking spaces
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #26033

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2763897/9...-Vancouver-BC/

$2.8m for a 46 year old renovated house with just 2300sf in East Van. Damn. Looks like a pretty solid reno though but still.

Took a little while but they got 2.75m!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 10:10 PM   #26034

These 2 shocked me.

Sold for 2.1M. Clean but original 40 year old condition:
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2773874/5...-Coquitlam-BC/

Sold for 1.85m. No updates since it was last purchased for 1.135m in 2020 (with the possible exception of a simple basement kitchen).
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2771431/9...-Coquitlam-BC/

This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2023, 11:16 PM   #26035
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I saw 949 E29th pre-reno in Fall 2021. It was an old red house with a limo parked in the back. The house was first listed for $2.1M. Nice reno and flip.

Hope the long term tenant downstairs got a place to live.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #26036

Thanked 2,234 Times in 985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
That's both unsurprising and crazy. 2 years ago when I was trying to buy a lot to build a house it was possible to buy and build 3400sf on a standard lot in East Van for around $2.6-2.7m with a good builder.

The Bank of Canada has increased interest rates 18x in a year and half and we're still seeing prices go up.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #26037

^ Everyone is pricing in a rate drop already, just look at the bank rates for the next 5 years, all the fixed rates trend downwards if you lock it in longer. For a lot of ppl it's now or never cause they are expecting prices to start shooting up again. With companies starting to mandate in office days I'm expecting prices to go nuts again in munis that are closer to city center as people that have moved out to the boonies start regretting their decisions.
We know two families that moved to Burke Mountain that are considering moving back into Van/Burnaby because the commute is getting to them.

The one thing that has gone away are no subject offers. A few friends have accepted offers pending sale and pending inspection. I am willing to bet that some of the sellers are in the hurt are trying to get more money right now and willing to put up with subjects. $50k is $50k.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #26038
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
^ Everyone is pricing in a rate drop already, just look at the bank rates for the next 5 years, all the fixed rates trend downwards if you lock it in longer. For a lot of ppl it's now or never cause they are expecting prices to start shooting up again. With companies starting to mandate in office days I'm expecting prices to go nuts again in munis that are closer to city center as people that have moved out to the boonies start regretting their decisions.
We know two families that moved to Burke Mountain that are considering moving back into Van/Burnaby because the commute is getting to them.

The one thing that has gone away are no subject offers. A few friends have accepted offers pending sale and pending inspection. I am willing to bet that some of the sellers are in the hurt are trying to get more money right now and willing to put up with subjects. $50k is $50k.
I thought companies had started mandating office days a year ago? Downtown prices haven't really changed last 3 years whereas the same priced homes in the suburbs have went up 30%+. Wonder if downtown will go up like the suburbs did in the next year or so
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2023, 02:22 PM   #26039

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
I thought companies had started mandating office days a year ago? Downtown prices haven't really changed last 3 years whereas the same priced homes in the suburbs have went up 30%+. Wonder if downtown will go up like the suburbs did in the next year or so
I feel like it in office really kicked off the last few months. Traffic has increased noticeably when I head into downtown during the week. Big tech have all mandated in office work (Apple, MS, Amazon, that's a lot of ppl) starting last month.

The more tenured buyers who can afford a larger/nicer place have all grown out of living in downtown proper I think. Lots of those have kids or are having kids and downtown living just doesn't make sense anymore. Not saying people don't want downtown anymore but the reality is, many couples/families my age who I've talked to, who are still in downtown are all actively looking to leave.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:17 PM   #26040
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,762 Times in 916 Posts
^^ nothing like free homeless people keeping property prices high
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #26041

Thanked 2,234 Times in 985 Posts
Quote:
I feel like it in office really kicked off the last few months. Traffic has increased noticeably when I head into downtown during the week. Big tech have all mandated in office work (Apple, MS, Amazon, that's a lot of ppl) starting last month.
A lot of leverage went the employers way the past 6 months as everyone was losing their jobs in tech. Companies could start demanding things of staff without fear that people would leave cause people are just happy to have a job and don't want any trouble.

I've heard lots of reports of companies being surprised at how few people are leaving their jobs. It's normally common that after a round of layoffs that another 5-10% of people choose to leave but that's not been happening - people are only leaving now cause they really, really hate their jobs otherwise they're sucking it up till the market gets better.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #26042

I'm not a huge fan of my job right now cause the team I'm with can be a bit of shit show. Alas the job market is kind of shit and all the employers are lowballing. We are talking about job postings that are $50-70k less than before, which is easily 1/3 less.

Something has got to break as once the layoffs stop, no one will bite at these listings and it'll quickly rachet up again.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:35 PM   #26043
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,685 Times in 4,377 Posts
Whatever it is that you're doing is pretty sweet because you still have that blue white grey M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Now if only Hehe would pull his cock from his mouth.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2023, 09:11 AM   #26044
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,999 Times in 3,912 Posts
Quote:
Alas the job market is kind of shit and all the employers are lowballing.
Some of the postings I've seen are hilarious. I just got contacted by a recruiter about a job in North Van that pays 25% less than my current gig. Lol no thanks.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2023, 03:20 PM   #26045

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Some of the postings I've seen are hilarious. I just got contacted by a recruiter about a job in North Van that pays 25% less than my current gig. Lol no thanks.
Arcteryx? Had a chat with someone from there. Great work culture but pay is shit. Unfortunately pay is culture for me lol. I need a minimum monthly cashflow to make things run at home.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #26046
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,999 Times in 3,912 Posts
They didn't say who the company was but I'm in industrial automation so probably not them. But if they want someone in an office in North Van they'd need to at least double if not triple what they're offering.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #26047
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That sounds like every offer I get from recruiters.

Are you interested in going from working from home to a 1 hour commute and a paycut? No? Oh, well let me know if you change your mind.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2023, 03:18 PM   #26048
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,947 Times in 3,227 Posts
We just had a big conference between all the port authorities last week and volumes are down ~35% since last year.

"Peak" season might not even happen this year as most warehouses are still full inventory bought during the pandemic and consumers have lost the appetite to purchase crap. We can thank inflation and high interest rates for this lack of demand.. now people are too worried to go into debt.

Shippers/importers and even carriers are talking layoffs if this trend continues.

What doesnt bode well for shipping, means the economy is stagnating and the jobs market is shrinking.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2023, 08:15 AM   #26049
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,843 Times in 2,521 Posts
that would be job market for certain industries right?

seems hard to still find good people (or even people) in architecture/engineering/construction

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #26050
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,947 Times in 3,227 Posts
trades will always be in demand as skilled labor is hard to come by. But retail, manufacturing, agriculture are all seeing downward trends for job prospects. Anything that we export, or import related fields arent doing so great vs last few years.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: