REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:34 PM   #27051
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,764 Times in 705 Posts
https://www.redfin.ca/bc/chilliwack/...home/155904350

I think I would take Chilliwack over Calgary. If I lived in Chilliwack I could drive out to a friends BBQ in Vancouver if I had to. Sure it would take me over an hour, but to still be able to make it into Vancouver definitely trumps being in Calgary I think.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:54 PM   #27052
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
My main concern would be safety, schools, and drug problems for the kid. Are people pretty friendly and any racism towards asians? Seemed pretty good when I was visiting, but that was a decade ago. In terms of housing, heard lower mission or Glenmore is good? Thanks!
So for background I grew up the lower Mission, moved to Glenmore in college and currently live in the lower Mission.

Safety is quite good I think, the rough parts of downtown have gotten larger the last few years but I think that's the same everywhere. The rest of town aside from maybe a couple rough parts of Rutland is quite safe.

The schools are good, but I graduated 15+ years ago and my oldest isn't in school yet so I'm a little out of touch there. Drugs-wise again I think we've got the same spike in fentanyl issues as everywhere else but nothing special in terms of youth problems that I'm aware of.

Most people are pretty friendly, but we've probably got more Karens and stereotypical Albertans than average. Taking my kids to parks and events I've never had a problem with anyone and lots of people are open to striking up conversations. I'm about as white as it's possible to be so I can't speak to how life is here for Asians but I can't say I've heard of any of my Asian friends having problems. I do know everyone would've had their backs if they saw anything.

Finding a family doctor is apparently quite difficult. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere or just here. Politically we've had a Conservative MP most of the time though not by too large a margin iirc.

As far as neighbourhoods go imo the lower Mission and Glenmore are the best.

Lower Mission: completely flat and very walkable/bikeable. In some areas your kids can literally walk to school from K to college, you can walk to the grocery stores, restaurants, beaches, etc. The newest pool, ice rinks and indoor fields are here too and there's the "Greenway" which is a really nice trail system that goes all the way from the lake to Gallaghers Canyon. Through the summer Autocross happens at the college. The city has also been adding lots of bike lanes all over the place. Negatives are that ideally you want to live north of at least DeHart Road because the two elementary schools on Lakeshore and Gordon completely fuck up the traffic coming from south of there in the morning. There's a very nice neighbourhood just East of OKM Secondary though. Lakeshore Road in general is very slow all the time and the city is allowing 600 new condo units to be built on Lakeshore within a block of each other near Boyce-Gyro Park which is going to make it even worse. On that note there's a very nice neighbourhood around Windermere Park, however the 55+ trailer park next to Casorso Elementary was recently purchased by a developer so those quiet streets that dead end at the side of the park might not stay very quiet depending on what they do.

Glenmore: Places like Magic Estates feel quiet and out of town but you're really quite close to everything. On the flip side parts of Wilden look close but take ages because you have to putter through tons of residential streets before you can get out. Not as much for shops and restaurants but because of how the city is laid out you can get to anywhere in no time at all and traffic flows well because there's reasons to be going in every direction vs the mission where everyone is going north because there's nothing to the south. Dilworth also has some stunning views and pretty quiet neighbourhoods. It's less walkable because it's all on a slope but that should also mean less potential for sketchy people to wander through because who wants to bike up a hill?

Other notable neighbourhoods for the price range you mentioned:

The upper Mission/Kettle Valley, my inlaws live up there and I personally don't like it. There's nothing up there except other houses, you have to drive down the hill and well into the lower Mission to really get to anything, traffic is bad because there's only 2 dinky roads out, and they keep building up the hills like crazy. I've also found the people up there more rude and it seems like that's where a lot of the stereotypical Albertans ended up (along with Wilden). It also doesn't feel that much higher but they seem to deal with a lot more snow than the lower Mission if you don't like shoveling.

Crawford and Gallaghers are a bit isolated as well but they're a little easier to get out of and they're more established neighbourhoods that haven't really expanded.

East Kelowna/South Kelowna/Southeast Kelowna are where you'd be looking if you want a really big property.

Black Mountain and Kirschner Mountain have some gorgeous views and are convenient if you want to ski but not for much else, slogging up and down the hill on highway 33 is a bit annoying.

West Kelowna has some nice areas but the city itself is kinda meh. You have to use the highway to get pretty much anywhere which is terrible, and you'll still have to come into Kelowna for a lot of things. The highschool over there was supposedly rougher than any of the ones in Kelowna when I was growing up. But if you'll be heading back to the lower mainland lots it'll save you some time.

That's all I can think of atm. Overall I like living here but I know it's not for everyone. It can get smokey in the summer and it's not going to have that much variety for people who want to go out all the time. Really specialty things that are in bigger cities are probably lacking. I'm sure the other guys here can list off some other cons I've forgotten lol. But you get pretty easy access to quite a lot of outdoors hobbies which is pretty nice. Even our worst traffic is nothing like the lower mainland. And overall the weather is quite nice.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 07-20-2023 at 10:14 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:02 PM   #27053
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,734 Times in 899 Posts
I think Mission, maple ridge, and Abbotsford is as east as I'm willing to go. Anything else is like an hour+ drive without traffic which is impossible unless you come back out at the 3 am.

Abby seems up and coming the new mall seems pretty cool. But the floods kinda scared me. Not sure what there is to do though cuz all of those places seems to be pretty small town feel with just a small town center. I guess if you need Asian stuff you will at least have to drive back out to Coquitlam for TNT or h Mart.

Even Abby seems kinda far cuz it's another 30 min from Langley. Not sure why there's nothing, no development between Langley and Abby. I just see farms and cow fields.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:03 AM   #27054
GS8

Thanked 7,297 Times in 1,975 Posts
I think at the end of the day, whether you choose BC, AB or (God forbid) MB, it's really up to personal choice. What you value out of life, what your priorities are, where the opportunities are etc. I've read plenty of reddit threads from people asking about relocating to completely different terrain. I learned that Vancouver is nice but not the centre of Canada. The 'Vancouver tax' is not for me but I'm just old.

Since I was born a base model, I still live like a base model. The shoebox dwelling, tesla flinging, septum piercing, resort town lifestyle is not for me but I'll stick around here for a while while I still have connections here. I do like being able to drive my 30 year old van all year round and go for late walks without a balaclava and being mistaken for an ISIS sympathizer, but I see pros and cons all across this power bottom country.

On the subject of personal priorities, home ownership dominates my thought process, the idea of buying in a smaller yet growing town between two major cities is a happy medium for me.

Then again, boredom is easier than ever if we lose purpose in life but that's for the philosophy forum.

EDIT: My brother lives in Chilliwack and works in Port Kells. Back in 2009 when he moved out there, his commute averaged 35-40. Now it takes him 90min EACH WAY. That commute alone affected his lifestyle choices he and was diagnosed with Type II in Feb. He's never been the same since.

Last edited by GS8; 07-21-2023 at 12:12 AM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 01:34 AM   #27055

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So for background I grew up the lower Mission, moved to Glenmore in college and currently live in the lower Mission.

Safety is quite good I think, the rough parts of downtown have gotten larger the last few years but I think that's the same everywhere. The rest of town aside from maybe a couple rough parts of Rutland is quite safe.

The schools are good, but I graduated 15+ years ago and my oldest isn't in school yet so I'm a little out of touch there. Drugs-wise again I think we've got the same spike in fentanyl issues as everywhere else but nothing special in terms of youth problems that I'm aware of.

Most people are pretty friendly, but we've probably got more Karens and stereotypical Albertans than average. Taking my kids to parks and events I've never had a problem with anyone and lots of people are open to striking up conversations. I'm about as white as it's possible to be so I can't speak to how life is here for Asians but I can't say I've heard of any of my Asian friends having problems. I do know everyone would've had their backs if they saw anything.

Finding a family doctor is apparently quite difficult. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere or just here. Politically we've had a Conservative MP most of the time though not by too large a margin iirc.

As far as neighbourhoods go imo the lower Mission and Glenmore are the best.

Lower Mission: completely flat and very walkable/bikeable. In some areas your kids can literally walk to school from K to college, you can walk to the grocery stores, restaurants, beaches, etc. The newest pool, ice rinks and indoor fields are here too and there's the "Greenway" which is a really nice trail system that goes all the way from the lake to Gallaghers Canyon. Through the summer Autocross happens at the college. The city has also been adding lots of bike lanes all over the place. Negatives are that ideally you want to live north of at least DeHart Road because the two elementary schools on Lakeshore and Gordon completely fuck up the traffic coming from south of there in the morning. There's a very nice neighbourhood just East of OKM Secondary though. Lakeshore Road in general is very slow all the time and the city is allowing 600 new condo units to be built on Lakeshore within a block of each other near Boyce-Gyro Park which is going to make it even worse. On that note there's a very nice neighbourhood around Windermere Park, however the 55+ trailer park next to Casorso Elementary was recently purchased by a developer so those quiet streets that dead end at the side of the park might not stay very quiet depending on what they do.

Glenmore: Places like Magic Estates feel quiet and out of town but you're really quite close to everything. On the flip side parts of Wilden look close but take ages because you have to putter through tons of residential streets before you can get out. Not as much for shops and restaurants but because of how the city is laid out you can get to anywhere in no time at all and traffic flows well because there's reasons to be going in every direction vs the mission where everyone is going north because there's nothing to the south. Dilworth also has some stunning views and pretty quiet neighbourhoods. It's less walkable because it's all on a slope but that should also mean less potential for sketchy people to wander through because who wants to bike up a hill?

Other notable neighbourhoods for the price range you mentioned:

The upper Mission/Kettle Valley, my inlaws live up there and I personally don't like it. There's nothing up there except other houses, you have to drive down the hill and well into the lower Mission to really get to anything, traffic is bad because there's only 2 dinky roads out, and they keep building up the hills like crazy. I've also found the people up there more rude and it seems like that's where a lot of the stereotypical Albertans ended up (along with Wilden). It also doesn't feel that much higher but they seem to deal with a lot more snow than the lower Mission if you don't like shoveling.

Crawford and Gallaghers are a bit isolated as well but they're a little easier to get out of and they're more established neighbourhoods that haven't really expanded.

East Kelowna/South Kelowna/Southeast Kelowna are where you'd be looking if you want a really big property.

Black Mountain and Kirschner Mountain have some gorgeous views and are convenient if you want to ski but not for much else, slogging up and down the hill on highway 33 is a bit annoying.

West Kelowna has some nice areas but the city itself is kinda meh. You have to use the highway to get pretty much anywhere which is terrible, and you'll still have to come into Kelowna for a lot of things. The highschool over there was supposedly rougher than any of the ones in Kelowna when I was growing up. But if you'll be heading back to the lower mainland lots it'll save you some time.

That's all I can think of atm. Overall I like living here but I know it's not for everyone. It can get smokey in the summer and it's not going to have that much variety for people who want to go out all the time. Really specialty things that are in bigger cities are probably lacking. I'm sure the other guys here can list off some other cons I've forgotten lol. But you get pretty easy access to quite a lot of outdoors hobbies which is pretty nice. Even our worst traffic is nothing like the lower mainland. And overall the weather is quite nice.
thanks so much for the detailed run down! Will definitely head out there and stay for a week or so to get a better idea of what the city's like. Been in Shanghai too long and so sick of the big city hustle and bustle. Love the outdoors and Kelowna seems like a great place to call home.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #27056
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,537 Times in 5,145 Posts
^ Some of my friends who went back to HK after university to work/make more money than was possible in Vancouver... they're coming back now because of China problems and wanted to get away from city life for awhile to raise their kids, a couple of them bought houses in Salmon Arm and are super pleased with their choice. Seems really nice from some of the photos they post.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 08:43 AM   #27057
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,795 Times in 3,169 Posts
FISH ARM!? nice!?

that weed they smoking up there must be hella strong.

Thats not even a one horse town, more like half a horse.... quadriplegic horse.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #27058
in the butt

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ Some of my friends who went back to HK after university to work/make more money than was possible in Vancouver... they're coming back now because of China problems
Isn't HK a part of china?...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #27059

how dare you! HOW DARE YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Isn't HK a part of china?...
It is now hahahah

How dem protest work out for ya? good? where's your gewilo intervention now!?!?!?

Last edited by Badhobz; 07-21-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:17 AM   #27060
Performance Moderator

Question for peeps with families, what's the deal nowadays like every single house floorplan I look at for newer builds, the bedroom are all clustered together on 1 floor??

Don't any of these architects or builders fuck? Like... seriously do I want my bedroom to be sharing walls with my kids bedrooms so they can hear the wumpa wumpa?

I feel like in the past the master was always separated from other bedrooms or not even on the same floor as them and I figured that was a good reason why lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 10:35 AM   #27061
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
In 2014 at Richmond High Secondary, at lunch you could spot 2 white people in the entire school in the sea of asians.
South Van had 8-12 white kids, majority were part of the autism program. Needless to say they also got bullied by the asians and the brown kids lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 11:04 AM   #27062

This is why also Asian dudes can’t get white chicks. Theres no white chicks left in stupid Richmond or Vancouver.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #27063
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,882 Posts
Quote:
Question for peeps with families, what's the deal nowadays like every single house floorplan I look at for newer builds, the bedroom are all clustered together on 1 floor??

Don't any of these architects or builders fuck? Like... seriously do I want my bedroom to be sharing walls with my kids bedrooms so they can hear the wumpa wumpa?

I feel like in the past the master was always separated from other bedrooms or not even on the same floor as them and I figured that was a good reason why lol
I've noticed that too. I've also seen things like a kids room sharing a wall with the garage which makes no sense. I could kinda understand it if it was an older place that had been renovated but I don't know what people are thinking with some of these new builds.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #27064

Thanked 1,734 Times in 899 Posts
What bed rooms, new builds are open concept, glass door sperating from kitchen, kids on top bunk, you below. 380 sqft yo
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:14 PM   #27065
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,128 Posts
Quote:

Parents these days are generally more protective of their kids and want to be in close proximity in case things happen, like if a kid stops breathing, so consumer preferences are part of it.

Also, there are efficiencies when it comes to plumbing and other systems by having bedrooms adjacent to one another.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:18 PM   #27066
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,396 Times in 5,670 Posts
It’s because most builders are shit these days, same with architects. No imagination and hands tied by bylaws and “green” initiatives which force plumbing stacks and HVAC runs into spots like tapioca said

I was just out in Dunbar today looking at some old house being Reno’ed fuck some absolutely amazing homes there these really cool, unique homes -no one- would build these days. It’s sad really
Old 07-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #27067
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
This is why also Asian dudes can’t get white chicks. Theres no white chicks left in stupid Richmond or Vancouver.
Dude, I'm sick of you complaining all the time. And it's fucked to think that having a "white girlfriend" is something to boast about.

You had mentioned that you're an asian immigrant, but you're racist AF.

You're lucky enough to have found a partner in life, but you're constantly complaining about your wife. You say she's a golddigger, so have a mature chat with her about her spending habits. Or maybe you enjoy spoiling her. Either way, stop complaining.

Pls join the rest RS, grow up a little.
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:49 PM   #27068
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #27069
Performance Moderator

Dude don't judge unless you met someone, hobz is just shooting the shit on here and being sarcastic / humourous playin a bit of a character, it's hilarious... in reality dude is the most down to earth nicest guy you could meet and he totally takes care of his wifey.

He's hilarious and doesn't take anything too seriously... which you are. Lighten up.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #27070

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Dude, I'm sick of you complaining all the time. And it's fucked to think that having a "white girlfriend" is something to boast about.

You had mentioned that you're an asian immigrant, but you're racist AF.

You're lucky enough to have found a partner in life, but you're constantly complaining about your wife. You say she's a golddigger, so have a mature chat with her about her spending habits. Or maybe you enjoy spoiling her. Either way, stop complaining.

but i come here to bitch
p.s. how can she gold dig me, when she has way more money than me? if anything im trying to whats the male version of that ? Blood Diamond farm her?

Last edited by Badhobz; 07-21-2023 at 01:05 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #27071
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Yeah Skunkworkz had to shop in Halifax.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:23 PM   #27072

nice! and you get lobster to go
Old 07-21-2023, 01:38 PM   #27073
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,028 Times in 1,918 Posts
About Calgary adv/disadvantages ... in 5 yrs time, with global warming ... 8 months of snow will be 4 ... then that climate will be like YVR of 10 yrs ago. Hurry up and get in on it while their real estate is still good before everyone catches on.

In 5 yrs time, people will complain of YVR ... hot AF, feels like Toronto, ....
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #27074
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,462 Times in 992 Posts
we joke about where to move to retire sometimes and honestly we're pretty lucky that most of the time the forest fire smoke tends to blow east, and also there's nowhere really west of us for us to have to deal with smoke from that direction.
if i had to move somewhere i'd stay in BC but maybe go to the island. wouldn't go to the okanagan and have to breathe fire smoke every year.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:43 PM   #27075
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:

Lived in 6 houses in my life and only one of them had the master bedroom separated from the other bedrooms and that was only because it was a skinny 3 floor townhouse with the master on the main floor.

Every Vancouver Special has the master bedroom next to another bedroom that I've seen.