REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:38 PM   #27126
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
ive seen quite a few of these houses in richmond that have tandem garage spaces and they are all under 30ft in length. That means you cant even fit 2 stinking corolla's in tandem. Only a normal size car and a smart car.

such bullshit, i dont know why they design it like this.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #27127
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Why do you need a big garage when a developer can have a bigger bank account?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #27128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
ive seen quite a few of these houses in richmond that have tandem garage spaces and they are all under 30ft in length. That means you cant even fit 2 stinking corolla's in tandem. Only a normal size car and a smart car.

such bullshit, i dont know why they design it like this.
Is that just limited by the depth of the building?
Old 07-24-2023, 02:26 PM   #27129
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,283 Times in 1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Master bed room has touching wall with another bed room will hear loud sex not that I can afford
The house or the sex?

Last edited by GS8; 07-24-2023 at 03:17 PM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #27130

Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,912 Posts
Is this what's it's come to in YVR? $2650/mth for a 480 sq ft condo? Damn !!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1313120126559/

And a typical 2 Bed, 2 Bath rental, 2 floor townhouse - $3950/mth, 1000 sq ft

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8670946357939/
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #27131
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
I dunno what anyone expects... even at those prices you cannot break even on a mortgage on a new build.

It's impossible without a crazy downpayment between the mortgage payments, strata fees, property taxes, insurance etc... and the whole situation is becoming impossible.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 04:39 PM   #27132
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I dunno what anyone expects... even at those prices you cannot break even on a mortgage on a new build.

It's impossible without a crazy downpayment between the mortgage payments, strata fees, property taxes, insurance etc... and the whole situation is becoming impossible.
IMO the rent is going to go way higher.

The interest rate for a mortgage is at 6% range. Even if the market suddenly crash 30% overnight, your comment would still hold.

In RE, the general rule of thumb idea of equilibrium is that the rent is equal to roughly the mortgage payment with 20% down.

So, one could do their own math how far we are from the equilibrium. Yes, the RE of YVR is inflated. But it's going to take a while before the whole market correction come into play.

In the mean time, since the equity is not rising (price of RE), landlords are going to continue to rise their rent to justify their ROI.

And for a good chunk of people who bought into the market with fixed mortgage at sub 4% level, they are not going to sell because whatever they move, the cost of financing is so much higher. And since it's almost like bank is paying them to hold the mortgage, they are not in a hurry to do anything about it.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #27133
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Gonna need at least 40' length for a tandem driveway, no way is that the case for the laneway unless it's parking in the backyard as well lol.
Tentatively speaking, I can do tandem parking on my laneway once it's completed

Toss in some more paving stones and I could probably do a 3 car tandem

Could probably shove a 4th car on the main floor patio area
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:25 PM   #27134
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Tentatively speaking, I can do tandem parking on my laneway once it's completed

Toss in some more paving stones and I could probably do a 3 car tandem

Could probably shove a 4th car on the main floor patio area
Tell me you are Asian without telling me you are Asian lol
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #27135
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
any reason why they dont just build sliding doors into walls if space is at sucha premium?

is it against code to have rooms with them?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:57 PM   #27136
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is this what's it's come to in YVR? $2650/mth for a 480 sq ft condo? Damn !!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1313120126559/

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...xw&oe=64C3E280

And a typical 2 Bed, 2 Bath rental, 2 floor townhouse - $3950/mth, 1000 sq ft

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8670946357939/
This is to they can list it as a "2 bedroom" or how someone can rent out the den as a second bedroom so they split the rent so its "affordable"
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:06 AM   #27137
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/opin...roy4WSFC-qZ-p8

This was posted a few days ago too. I've lived here pretty much all my life and I just don't see the appeal or hype of Vancouver anymore. Let alone the costs of being here. Getting a detached is pretty much impossible. Yet very much achievable on the island or Calgary or even parts of Toronto.
I'm in Toronto now and it's maybe just barely better than Vancouver on affordability. I will say though that the average office worker will have significantly better opportunities in Toronto. Pretty much everyone I know here seems to be like $300K+ household income families whereas in Vancouver, I don't really know anyone that I went to university with that are over $100K. I also don't know a single person in Toronto that rents out their basement as a mortgage helper either.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:23 AM   #27138
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
No one I know in Toronto even has a basement

Wonder if it’s a code thing or sonthing because when we rented a house in Leselieville a few summers ago for a friends wedding we stayed in the bedroom in this “basement” of this home thay seemed like it was a converted root cellar

Fuck it was like 150% humidity down there water was dripping off the walls lol
Old 07-25-2023, 07:44 AM   #27139

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
Pretty much everyone I know here seems to be like $300K+ household income families whereas in Vancouver, I don't really know anyone that I went to university with that are over $100K.
Really?

Majority of people in my university educated circle make 100K+. It's a necessity nowadays if you want to own a detached house, even with significant help.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:45 AM   #27140
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Most older Toronto homes may not have a finished basement, and if they do, it's often unfinished. It's often related to taxes you pay to the city for liveable space, or something of that sort, plus a combination of code. You will see a lot of multi-million dollar homes in cities like Mississauga, Oakville, Richmond Hill, Markham etc. that have unfinished basements. I hope I am wrong.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #27141
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Toronto also doesn't really have garages so I dunno where people keep their cars, or back alleys. They keep their garbage cans on the front yard right in front of their porches and every one sits on their porches during the summer so it stinks.

But yea, it was just posted a while back where they listed the cost to build a new condo building on like first Ave and it was like $1100+ a sq at cost, not including any profit so how can rent or cost of a house to down. Land, materials, labour is all going up. Buddy guys don't work for free.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:06 AM   #27142
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
any reason why they dont just build sliding doors into walls if space is at sucha premium?

is it against code to have rooms with them?
I hate pocket doors with a passion. I get that they provide a way to create privacy without taking up space but with wall that's only two pieces of drywall there's no sound privacy anyways. Most pocket doors also don't glide smoothly, just shit overall.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #27143

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Really?

Majority of people in my university educated circle make 100K+. It's a necessity nowadays if you want to own a detached house, even with significant help.
I agree with him on the TO observation. 90%+ of the professionals in TO I know are clearing $100 - 300k+, with even higher earnings when they hit their 30's. Even the folks that are doing hair / nails are clearing low 100's with a little bit of cash on the side.

While in Vancouver the majority of folks clearing $120K+ are business owners, medical field, CPA/CFA's, bankers, software devs at Amazon, most red seal jobs. I'm surprised by the vast amount of people on the lower end of $60 - 110K in engineering, boutique consulting, software developers at small places, IT, manager+ level at marketing, tech sales, recruiting. Especially since a lot of these jobs were glorified when I was in Uni. But most people native to Vancouver also has 1+ properties from their parents giving them an extra $1-2.5k/month in spending money

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #27144
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
I only know one professional in Toronto and that's bcrdukes... and yes he's definitely clearing at least half a mill based on how soft his skin is
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #27145
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
But most people native to Vancouver also has 1+ properties from their parents giving them an extra $1-2.5k/month in spending money
I must be doing it wrong then - my parents get that allowance out of me instead of the other way around
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #27146
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
I have workers on my team who live in both Vancouver and Toronto, so I have to hire in both markets for the same job essentially. Toronto people work harder. The pace of business is faster. They commute longer. Stay later. But socialize more too.

Vancouver is kind of the opposite of all of the above. We work hard, but not nearly as hard as Toronto.

For the same position with same experience, on average Toronto staff are paid 30% higher. But there are tradeoffs, as mentioned above.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2023, 10:47 AM   #27147
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I only know one professional in Toronto and that's bcrdukes... and yes he's definitely clearing at least half a mill based on how soft his skin is
You definitely have the wrong person

I'm barely scraping by in comparison to all of you on this forum.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #27148
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I get that they provide a way to create privacy without taking up space but with wall that's only two pieces of drywall there's no sound privacy anyways.
How is that different from every other door?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #27149

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I must be doing it wrong then - my parents get that allowance out of me instead of the other way around
Majority of east van grew up as poor immigrants but the housing market turned their 1990's $200-300K van special into a money printer. Depending on how many suites / bedrooms you have, they've been making $1.5 - 4k/month on their basement suites for the last 10+ years. It's crazy how their rental suites make more than their dayjobs as labourers, clerks, chefs at kents kitchen.

All that rental income + 50%+ savings rate = multiple properties for their kids. Waiting for my turn though, I'll take my free unit at Solo District anytime now. Idk why but they all seem to buy their kids condos at Brentwood/Metrotown. Now the prices there are same as Mount Pleasant / Downtown for new builds.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #27150

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
my parents lack of foresight and led them to buy a brand new apartment in 1994 instead of buying a slightly used Vancouver special / older home that was the same price. Their apartment is worth 900k now, but a equivalent house in the neighborhood is 1.6-1.8m aka double.

Pisses me off that my mom valued saving face more than having more space/land. Their condo cost them quite a bit over the years with their leaky condo at 60k, special levies, elevators, etc etc. All because she couldnt stomach living in an old house. That shanghainese ego of her is bullshit.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: