REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #28851
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
The renter would probably need to cop a 2-3 BR tent at MEC ASAP.
I keep thinking back to a reddit thread I saw years ago where some guy in med school - swimming in debt - built himself a sweet treehouse out in the forest, and lived out of that + showered at the gym. Had the time of his life.

Wish I saved that link.
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #28852
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Net worth is assets minus liabilities. In the context of a person/family, it is reasonable to assume they could choose to sell assets, pay off debts, and still have approximately that same figure left over as they started with, so I think it's pretty fair to say if you have a significant net worth, you have a pretty limited risk.

For a business, it's not as simple since you often have contractual obligations (such as Westbank's obligation to build the buildings they have taken deposits for, etc) that mean you couldn't as easily just purify back to nothing but cash in an account.

-Mark
That doesn’t exactly make sense. To sell your assets to pay your liabilities with zero change to your “net worth” as pre recession, likely means you were under zero risk or invested in something that was not affected by said recession.

Whether you’re a millionaire or not doesn’t have much to do with it. The leverage which one lives is the risk/reward one receives. A millionaire likely got to where they are using “risk.”
Old 11-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #28853
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I keep thinking back to a reddit thread I saw years ago where some guy in med school - swimming in debt - built himself a sweet treehouse out in the forest, and lived out of that + showered at the gym. Had the time of his life.

Wish I saved that link.
Vanlife baby !!! It’s the only way to live in Vancouver. Find a Chevy Astro, grab a Mr buddy heater and go to town moving from spot to spot hoping they don’t knock on your window.

Or go down to Spanish banks and squat there. Lousy squatters. I tried to take the wife there last summer at night to view the stars / beach / fuck on the beach but all the squatters ruined it.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 11:53 AM   #28854
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:

My direct neighbour on my floor is an admin clerk / executive assistant, parents got him the condo at $330K in 2013 by putting $30K down and he pays mortgage. Mortgage only has $180k remaining but it's going from $700 > $1,513 a month.
That monthly increase seems a quite bit high for only 180K remaining... Something doesn't seem right there.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 11-10-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #28855
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
You think so?

I can foresee, cashing out equity at $300K @ 6% ROI = $18K/year. Renting @ $1,000-1,250 basement shared or $1,500 condo w roomie. Rebuying later when your income is higher.

Turning that condo to equity boosts his income from $52K > $70K. Lifestyle is important too, can't be living pay cheque to pay cheque if you don't have to.
Does he have a plan for how that's going to happen? If not that seems like it might be pretty unlikely given how real estate has been going vs income.

Based on the numbers you've got the value has gone from $330k to $550k in 10 years? What has his salary done in that time?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:05 PM   #28856
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
If I were the A4 guy, I'd either find a roomate or a GF to split the housing costs. With a GF/wife, in particular, he would effectively be doubling their household income while reducing operating/living costs.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2023, 07:51 PM   #28857
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That monthly increase seems a quite bit high for only 180K remaining... Something doesn't seem right there.
15 year amort remaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does he have a plan for how that's going to happen? If not that seems like it might be pretty unlikely given how real estate has been going vs income.

Based on the numbers you've got the value has gone from $330k to $550k in 10 years? What has his salary done in that time?
Went from $15/hour to $52K salary, same company for last 10 years. I told him he can get better at another job for exec assistant / government clerks. I think he's too weeded out to as he smokes every morning.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:40 PM   #28858
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
15 year amort remaining?
Still doesn't add up.

I'd have to imagine his last term was somewhere in the 3.5% range.
Say he's he'll renew this year at 6.5%. On 180k, 15yr, that should only be like a $260/month increase at most. Not $800+
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:13 PM   #28859
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,189 Times in 362 Posts
Quote:
What's it like living in NYC? Does the magic of Christmas, NYE, and riding that subway ever get old? Can you speak the New Yorker accent? Can you get away with having a fun car in NYC, or is it the cost & inconvenience so prohibitive that you probably really have to give it up? New York pizza: how do you really feel about it?
1) I think the east coast is less about an accent and more about telling it straight but kindly. I've mostly learned how to introduce myself to people at bars/functions while getting a feel for them in under 3 minutes ... this behavior at a bar or even on the street to get new friends/a date is something that I feels is very New York.

The magic is meeting a couple strangers at a networking event, hitting up a club and a bar afterwards together, then going home at 2-3AM on a Wednesday/Thursday. That, or pulling 20 people who came to a cocktail event I threw on a Monday as strangers and all left as friends..... or booking out a club and throwing a music festival for my birthday party.....

There are many days where living in the city still makes me consider whether I belong - the only limitation is myself since possibilities are unlimited and that idea is kind of daunting sometimes. The anxiety when introducing myself to someone super well dressed/more socially valuable feels less like my feet being cemented into the ground and more like a pebble or two in my shoe these days. I feel like I've grown up a lot and have become a lot more steady about who I am through the adversity and hard choices about who/what/where I spend my time I've had to make after moving here.

2) Getting around on a CitiBike is hella liberating - no waiting for a subway on a humid summer day with no A/C or being at the mercy of MTA delays. 19MPH at about $3/20 minutes... and I'll get places in half the time.

NGL most of the New Yorkers that I know are out of the city between Thanksgiving and end of Jan. The interns during the summer also crowd restaurants/bars/clubs.

3) I think most of the fun here is in people you meet, their wit and energy. Car hobby tends to be more solo and I find most people will prioritize group/people based things with how much rent they're paying. I do have access to an EM1 and AP2 in Queens but it's rare I'll make the trip just to drive something.

There are ways to do it for cheap (i.e. store it out in Queens/Jersey) or find a block with free street parking. You can also join Manhattan Classic Car club - they've got one hell of a fleet for less than the cost of garage parking in the city.

4) Meh. Not my first choice even after a night of going out. I usually down a protein shake and some electrolytes instead of going for Joe's/Bleecker St Pizza

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #28860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Still doesn't add up.

I'd have to imagine his last term was somewhere in the 3.5% range.
Say he's he'll renew this year at 6.5%. On 180k, 15yr, that should only be like a $260/month increase at most. Not $800+
https://ibb.co/RgxDSVn
https://ibb.co/jTQrnBP

This is what I have

1.49% @ 25 Years
6.30% @ 15 Years

Imo, wipe my ass money both at 1.49% and 6.30%, because half the price of market rent

Refi @ 25 Years puts him only at $1,184. Which easily saves him, Idk if you can qualify for $180K @ $52K. I assume yes even if stress test is 8.2%

EDIT: Ran the math and refi might fail without selling the car to clear your debt to lower GDS/TDS. Strata around $400/month for 1BR.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #28861
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
Honestly, this resonates with me a bit since I've been constantly thinking about moving to a lower cost of living city. Currently, in my situation as a family of 3 (with a toddler), we operate on a single income household. I am fortunate to be in the tech industry and still have a well-paying remote job from SF/US, netting 12k a month after taxes, cpp, ei, etc. Currently, I pay almost 5k a month for my mortgage (it increased from 2.7k to 5k due to variable rates; I know I should have locked it in when I had the chance).

With my current income, it's still definitely doable. However, the uncertainty of my longevity in the tech industry is a concern. Its getting harder and harder to land remote US tech jobs and if i get laidoff and if I can only land a local tech job, my pay will most likely get slashed in half, making it seem impossible to cover our current mortgage and other expenses. Therefore, we've been contemplating a move to Calgary—selling our current place and pocketing 700-750k after paying back the mortgage. We would then purchase an 800-900k place in Calgary, resulting in a very small mortgage. It will allow us to go from a townhouse to a detached house as well.

If I continue working at my current job in Calgary, we will be very comfortable. In the event of a layoff, there's no need to worry; I can take a less-paying job and still be able to cover the mortgage and living expenses, etc.
Did you grow up in the lower mainland? Do you have family here? Those are the only reasons most people stay in this city.

If you don't have family and friends the decision should be easier. If you do have family and friends here, it complicates things, but for certain, it will be easier on your life and your childs life if you move to Calgary.

We just met up with some friends who work in tech and I asked them how they felt about their job security and both of them said everyone in their company feels like they're on the chopping block. They said when Elon cut 80% of twitter it really opened people's eyes on how lean you can run a business. And in this climate, high paying tech jobs are not great for the balance sheet.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:18 PM   #28862

RE: Gerb's neighbour

Same like my buddy who also drives an A4... lol

These people can't be taught. They grew up with a lifestyle, culture, and mentality that prevents them from getting to the next level. The solutions to their problems are often very simple, but these people are not capable of seeing them.

There's a bell curve for a reason.

I have learned that people just like to bitch and complain, but they don't actually want a solution. An easy way to tell if someone actually wants to find a solution is if they actually ask questions. If they're only complaining, but not asking questions, you know they're not actually looking for answers.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2023, 10:09 PM   #28863

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
RE: Gerb's neighbour

Same like my buddy who also drives an A4... lol

These people can't be taught. They grew up with a lifestyle, culture, and mentality that prevents them from getting to the next level. The solutions to their problems are often very simple, but these people are not capable of seeing them.

There's a bell curve for a reason.

I have learned that people just like to bitch and complain, but they don't actually want a solution. An easy way to tell if someone actually wants to find a solution is if they actually ask questions. If they're only complaining, but not asking questions, you know they're not actually looking for answers.
I know someone like this too. Drives an Audi A4 as well, handed a down payment by parents. Complains about the cost of living but buys stupid things and works crappy retail jobs in his 30s. He’s always complaining but I never see him ask for advice and do anything about his situation.

Even if you give him advice he’ll shrug it off lol. He’s just interested in chasing girls and has no discipline for self-growth.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #28864
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
He’s just interested in chasing girls and only has discipline for "self-growth."
Fixed

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 11:32 AM   #28865

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I realized this in the last 1-2 years. I personally stopped giving advice / help, even if people ask nowadays, I give something pretty basic compared to before. Unless i like them and can see they want a lifestyle change then I'll give them a tailored presentation on how to make it.

I found a core group of guys that have already made it or are very literate financially. They're always looking for things to optimize and improve and I rather send my thoughts and energy there. I might learn a thing or two there vs having to reteach the basics on why you should have a TFSA by 28.

Or explaining to people your end goal should be non-reg accounts.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #28866
RabidMod

Quote:
Or explaining to people your end goal should be non-reg accounts.
Never thought about this: what're the basics behind that?
Old 11-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #28867
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
Never thought about this: what're the basics behind that?
Means you've maxed out your TFSA and RRSP and other non-registered accounts.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #28868
RabidMod

Oh gotcha.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #28869

40% of Canadians under 35 have a TFSA, of that the average balance is speculated to be around $19K?

Blows my mind how many people people ask for help on how to open a TFSA and what to do with it. More often than not, I have to clarify that the TFSA/RRSP/FHSA is not ONLY a HISA or savings or chequing account in which they collect deposit interest.

From there, we dive into the world of ETFs/stocks/bonds/GICs. This usually confuses them by now because of the amount of options. I finally understand why mutual funds exist and how they're generally the best option for majority of the population. That 2% MER needs to glorified as a a tuition fee rather than portfolio management.

Same peeps manage to have condos without worrying about saving a DP in a TFSA/RRSP lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 03:45 PM   #28870
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Few people have saved for dp for condos in their savings account
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:21 PM   #28871
RabidMod

Quote:
That 2% MER needs to glorified as a a tuition fee rather than portfolio management.
That is a great angle. I've been struggling to find a way not to vilify my BIL's retail banking investment advisor gf in conversation around management fee robbery / conflicts of interest lol.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:48 PM   #28872

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Means you've maxed out your TFSA and RRSP and other non-registered accounts.
You should also move any of your dividend-yielding companies into your Non-registered account as they are taxed more favourably. Better to keep your high flyers/growth stocks in your TFSA and keep your dividend Kings in your Non-reg.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:41 AM   #28873

If it's US dividends - > RRSP is non taxed while TFSA is.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #28874
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Lol Canada isn't that good and I'm surprised Europe/ Sweden is more affordable

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...grants-leaving
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #28875
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
A better quality of life, everything’s cheaper, and you don’t have strung out homeless everywhere, what a concept.