REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:52 AM   #28976
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
We had a farm that was causing enormous amounts of contention in our family, thankfully it did double in value over 10 years that there were issue with it so that was great, but we finally sold it just to stop the infighting and bad vibes and honestly even though holding onto it forever would be probably the financially prudent thing to do, it's been such a weight off our shoulders -- everyone is so much happier and nicer to each other now and the proceeds of the sale made everyone's life so much easier NOW instead of holding onto whatever it might be worth into the future.

Can't put a pricetag on that.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #28977
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...tive/?sort=top
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:52 PM   #28978
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Lol besides pushing up land prices I didn't see this plan working out. No one can afford the build cost + red tape risk. Even if you own the land it's still like a $2m+ build cost.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:05 PM   #28979
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Hot news, surprised to see this one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...room-2024/amp/

Inflation is going strong
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #28980
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Here’s something no one is reporting that is a HUGE issue with this stupid CoV multiplex proposal

Any build over a duplex MUST go underground with their 3rd party services, this is hydro, cable, etc. going underground right now with your hydro service takes a year of design and $100k+

When you’ve gotta spend 100k to get power to your build, how much does that cut into your profit? There was such little planning by CoV with this proposal it’s comical.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:46 PM   #28981
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
I was just quoted $150k to get 300amp service to our build with a hydro pole in the front yard. Everything is nonsense. No more natural gas… electrics cars… 200amp ain’t gonna cut it.

Saying that, is this multiplex thing even a thing anymore considering the entire province’s new grand slam automatic zoning changes?
Old 11-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #28982
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was just quoted $150k to get 300amp service to our build with a hydro pole in the front yard. Everything is nonsense. No more natural gas… electrics cars… 200amp ain’t gonna cut it.

Saying that, is this multiplex thing even a thing anymore considering the entire province’s new grand slam automatic zoning changes?
are you paying hydro to provide 300amp service to the pole? or is there 300 amp service already at the lines?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #28983

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Damn that's wild, 100 grand for 300amp service
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #28984

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
are you paying hydro to provide 300amp service to the pole? or is there 300 amp service already at the lines?
It was a part of contractors quote for our build. I don’t know the details. He said he was caught very off guard by it.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #28985
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mechanical contractors are so busy right now, with weeks and months of backlogs, that every 2nd or 3rd quote you get, are "fuck you" pricing.

In other words, they dont care if you approve their work or not.
No approval? = Dont care, i have months of work without you.
Approved? = Perfect, il take that extra 10-20-30% profit over my other regular jobs.

I would be curious to see hud91gt's contractors break down tho. I dont know anything about service line costs/permits/etc. seems wild that its 150k, but could just be todays normal price

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #28986

That doesn’t make sense for it to cost that much for a private pole overhead service.

But yea.. anything over 200A the full cost is born by the customer
Old 11-24-2023, 06:28 PM   #28987

I lied, it was actually $169k. Hahaha. But quotes are stupid on the west side. A majority of
Our quotes are $2-3m for a “remodel” of a 3300 sq/f home and a new garage. People out here clearly have too much money to care. That’s 2-3x what it costs elsewhere.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:44 PM   #28988
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:

Tell BC Hydro that you need to expand the service to accommodate EV Chargers.

They would bring one additional line and add another meter then merge it on their end onto a single account.

This way, you only pay the service upgrade fee (I think it was less than 2k) plus installation. The installation is much cheaper as well because you can get 2x200amp services. No need for fancy equipment for 400amp services.

This is what I got after I moved into my new place. So now I have 2x200amp panels and really I can do whatever the heck out of them.

It should be nowhere near 160k. Everything said and done... I think I spent a tad over 10k and that was including some electrical works at my place.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #28989

^ that’s not how it works. 2x200 is still 400 amps. Doesn’t matter if it’s an EV load or not the only cost difference is the meter base. You just got lucky with the infrastructure in place around your home
Old 11-24-2023, 10:19 PM   #28990
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Not sure if this is the same thing but I did 2 200amp to my shop last year around 10K. Hydro was approx $1200 each to my pole and then excavator/conduit/panels was another $7500.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:56 PM   #28991
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #28992

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Not sure if this is the same thing but I did 2 200amp to my shop last year around 10K. Hydro was approx $1200 each to my pole and then excavator/conduit/panels was another $7500.
In general this and HEHE’s situation are extremely rare. Generally 400A overhead services are going for about 25-30k 80%+ of the time these days, especially in Vancouver and Burnaby. Can’t speak to much to elsewhere
Old 11-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #28993

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
More like they know my wife and I are anal has hell and don’t want to deal with us. 😂
Old 11-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #28994
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
^ that’s not how it works. 2x200 is still 400 amps. Doesn’t matter if it’s an EV load or not the only cost difference is the meter base. You just got lucky with the infrastructure in place around your home
The idea is that if you need to upgrade service for everything else, like a pool, jacuzzi, and whatnot, BC Hydro and electrician are going to rape you. They wouldn't even do the meter merging thing. It's not a full 400amp services, which is $$$. But rather 2 lines with each having 200amp capacity. But even then, it's nowhere near 160k. In my case, before I went the split line route, I was quoting something around 22k to have a 400amp services (so, 1 line, 1x400amp panel, 1 meter)

But this is a program that BC Hydro set up specifically for people upgrading services because their existing service cannot accommodate EV chargers. As it's a simpler and more straightforward approach. Going anything beyond 200amp requires IIRC a new transformer or something on location to handle the service. But if it's just 2x200amp, where they bring another line coming in, no fancy equipment is needed.

Not sure now, but back then when I was doing the upgrade, not everyone at BC Hydro was aware of such a program. It was when I was calling BC Hydro for some specific questions that the agent told me "oh, we have this program now that might be in your interest". And after I thought that was a good idea, I went back to my electrician, he agreed and I called BC Hydro again... the agent had no idea what I was talking about and had to consult his colleague.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #28995
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Lol besides pushing up land prices I didn't see this plan working out. No one can afford the build cost + red tape risk. Even if you own the land it's still like a $2m+ build cost.
The Vancouver plan was mostly lambasted by housing advocates b/c it was far too conservative in terms of floor space. Land simply costs too much (even without land lift) to to build new housing in most cases and the city has inserted a lot of poison pills into the zoning.

Quote:

Vancouver has a separate charter so not all of the province's new rules apply to them - the zoning around transit hubs does apply but the multiplex one does not (yet). For the latter the province is playing nice with Vancouver for now as the province has the power to override the Vancouver charter if they want.

If the province overrides the city the economics will work a lot better as it's expected they'll allow 1.5FSR vs 1.0FSR.

This video does a nice job explaining all the red tape that exists like ridiculous parking requirements:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2023, 02:24 PM   #28996
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The idea is that if you need to upgrade service for everything else, like a pool, jacuzzi, and whatnot, BC Hydro and electrician are going to rape you. They wouldn't even do the meter merging thing. It's not a full 400amp services, which is $$$. But rather 2 lines with each having 200amp capacity. But even then, it's nowhere near 160k. In my case, before I went the split line route, I was quoting something around 22k to have a 400amp services (so, 1 line, 1x400amp panel, 1 meter)

But this is a program that BC Hydro set up specifically for people upgrading services because their existing service cannot accommodate EV chargers. As it's a simpler and more straightforward approach. Going anything beyond 200amp requires IIRC a new transformer or something on location to handle the service. But if it's just 2x200amp, where they bring another line coming in, no fancy equipment is needed.

Not sure now, but back then when I was doing the upgrade, not everyone at BC Hydro was aware of such a program. It was when I was calling BC Hydro for some specific questions that the agent told me "oh, we have this program now that might be in your interest". And after I thought that was a good idea, I went back to my electrician, he agreed and I called BC Hydro again... the agent had no idea what I was talking about and had to consult his colleague.
That makes sense that BC Hydro is trying to figure that out. With the ongoing electrification of everything, there needs to be an affordable way to get increased service. I'm in a house that was built in the 50's. If I switch to an EV and a Heat pump etc, I need to add to and redo my electrical panel.

If i was told it's going to be $50k plus to get just the electrical done, that'd be a non starter.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:25 AM   #28997
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

200a service upgrades aren't too expensive but there may be unexpected costs involved such as:

- adding new utility pole if the distance of overhead wires is too long or sags too much
- adding underground conduit from the BC hydro electrical pull pit to theocation of your meter (tenching, digging, concrete etc..)
- renovation costs (drywall repair, paint, etc)

Everyone's electrical situation is different. I've had customers compromise and install heat pumps and EV chargers on 100a services by removing baseboard heating circuits and lowering charging ampacity in order to pass load calculations.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:23 AM   #28998
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,912 Posts
I like the guy who makes those videos above, he seems to have common sense and workable solutions. On Youtube, they are called, About Us. Here is another about how to create affordable rental or non-housing market:

whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2023, 07:24 AM   #28999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
200a service upgrades aren't too expensive but there may be unexpected costs involved such as:

- adding new utility pole if the distance of overhead wires is too long or sags too much
- adding underground conduit from the BC hydro electrical pull pit to theocation of your meter (tenching, digging, concrete etc..)
- renovation costs (drywall repair, paint, etc)

Everyone's electrical situation is different. I've had customers compromise and install heat pumps and EV chargers on 100a services by removing baseboard heating circuits and lowering charging ampacity in order to pass load calculations.
They also have those smart switches now for EV chargers, so really, people get their head in the clouds that they NEED a 400a service, when generally a 200a is more than adequate
Old 11-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #29000
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Our old house had a separate 200A panel on garage.
We have 2 teslas. Our new home only has a 200a in the home and to add service to garage was going to be expensive and take time.
Electrician put in a 40a breaker and did a surface run to garage from our breaker(not the prettiest but pretty much out of sight for the most part)
Can only charge at 32A vs 48A but enough for us.

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: