REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:08 AM   #28951
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

If you have assets that are in joint names, or registered investment accounts that have beneficiaries or successors, etc then these are all assets that are generally not going to fall under the will and therefore not attract probate fees.

So what's a 1 sentence summary / advice to give someone who may inherit something after a death occurs? Get your name on the asset before the death if you want to avoid having to pay any fees and taxes?
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:39 AM   #28952
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Thanks for clearing it up gents. I read somewhere before that I had to pay a bunch of taxes so it was always stuck in the back of my head that I had to sell their place before they crook or else pay the gains.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:36 AM   #28953
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Common man you gotta sell all your assets and take out all your rsps before 65 or else the gov won't give you any gis and claw you back.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #28954

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Yes i wanna be on that government tit. GIS/OAS/CPP. BRING IT ON BABY!!!

unfortunately i got that lousy pension coming so no OAS/GIS for me
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #28955
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
So what's a 1 sentence summary / advice to give someone who may inherit something after a death occurs? Get your name on the asset before the death if you want to avoid having to pay any fees and taxes?
IMO the 1 word / 1 sentence summary is KISS -- just let your parents do whatever dafuq they feel the most comfortable with. Probate fees are a ridiculous ripoff and totally suck balls, but at the end of the day, it is the least troublesome route to go when you take everything into account. So if your parents want to live out their days in their home without ever worrying that their up-to-no-good son will sell the place out under them, let them do that. Or if they want to downsize or move into an old folks community / home, let them do that too.

The thing is nobody knows how long anyone will live. Theoretically, you can transfer the ownership title to yourself, or close the sale and transfer the money to your own bank account a day before your parents crook to maximize the money you keep, but realistically, it is impossible to time all that correctly to a tee.

On a personal level, I have more questions about what I should do with the inheritance when the eventuality happens to my parents. I will split their assets -- basically just the old family home (house) -- with my siblings. But do we keep it as an investment property? Should I move back into the old house, knowing that it'll require a good bunch of renovations, maintenance & repairs when I am not exactly in the best financial position to do all those? Do we just sell and split the money, knowing that we would almost certainly never own another detached home in the family?

Memories and emotions are getting in the way of making a sound and purely logical decision because this has pretty much been our family home for the past 30+ years when we first moved to Canada.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #28956
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Yes i wanna be on that government tit. GIS/OAS/CPP. BRING IT ON BABY!!!

unfortunately i got that lousy pension coming so no OAS/GIS for me
Everyone who has work long enough in Canada will be entitled to CPP payments -- unless our redneck neighbours get their way and wreck the whole party by stealing more than 1/2 of its assets under our noses.

The OAS qualifying cutoff is something like $130k/yr income right now, so for most people in the working class, they will be entitled to that as well. And if you don't qualify, then chances are you'd probably be OK without it too.

So ya, you will get to suck on some of those gov tits.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #28957

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
OAS can also not be collected if you retire for example abroad, only your CPP can be collected if you're no longer a resident.

For the RSers planning to move to Thailand or something when you retire
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #28958

Don't you just have to be here like 6 month +1 day? Or still count as citizen? I guess you would still want to be to get that free healthcare?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #28959

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
For OAS, yes. CPP no. CPP can be collected while no longer being a resident of Canada.

CPP is an investment you contributed to and are entitled to regardless, OAS is not.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #28960
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #28961

Speaking of this, does it make sense to declare as none resident? I've heard of some HK ppl throw money here and their gains are tax free cuz they are none resident.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #28962
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
On a personal level, I have more questions about what I should do with the inheritance when the eventuality happens to my parents. I will split their assets -- basically just the old family home (house) -- with my siblings. But do we keep it as an investment property? Should I move back into the old house, knowing that it'll require a good bunch of renovations, maintenance & repairs when I am not exactly in the best financial position to do all those? Do we just sell and split the money, knowing that we would almost certainly never own another detached home in the family?

Memories and emotions are getting in the way of making a sound and purely logical decision because this has pretty much been our family home for the past 30+ years when we first moved to Canada.
If there are more than two siblings, I can't see you guys keeping the house. Surely you will sell it off and split the profits. There is very little chance the siblings will try to maintain a house, too many cooks in the kitchen.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #28963
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
There's no one size fits all advice for everybody. You can very easily make a move that saves probate fees and end up with a bunch of other unintended consequences that could cost more in the long run. Ultimately the person with the estate is the person who should work with a professional and make some plans to accomplish their goals.

-Mark
Old 11-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #28964

Quote:
There's no one size fits all advice for everybody. You can very easily make a move that saves probate fees and end up with a bunch of other unintended consequences that could cost more in the long run. Ultimately the person with the estate is the person who should work with a professional and make some plans to accomplish their goals.

-Mark
From my understanding, it's pretty black and white.

If you want to avoid probate, you have to put the child on the title. This has consequences, ie. child takes the house and kicks you out.

If you want to secure your asset until you die, you leave it in your name. This has consequences, ie. your child has to go through probate.

If you "trust" your kid, put them on the title and if they screw you over, that's on you.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:32 PM   #28965
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
From my understanding, it's pretty black and white.

If you want to avoid probate, you have to put the child on the title. This has consequences, ie. child takes the house and kicks you out.

If you want to secure your asset until you die, you leave it in your name. This has consequences, ie. your child has to go through probate.

If you "trust" your kid, put them on the title and if they screw you over, that's on you.
Again - it is not black and white, and it is not simple.

Example - if your adult children are on title and are successfully sued for $1M and only have $500k, the joint house is at risk.

-Mark
Old 11-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #28966

Quote:
Again - it is not black and white, and it is not simple.

Example - if your adult children are on title and are successfully sued for $1M and only have $500k, the joint house is at risk.

-Mark
Ok, well yes. You are correct.

But, if you're going to use the "what if" argument, you have to agree the only logical safe option is to let the house go to probate.

Would you agree?

Last edited by PeanutButter; 11-21-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Unnecessarily patronizing
Old 11-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #28967

Hmm, heard on the news this morning that the gov will announce cancellation of stress test for moving expiring mortgages? How the turns have tabled. Every can just rage quit and not worry about losing their house. Not sure how the banks will like that.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #28968
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
That's not what a stress test is.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #28969

I tried to find more info about it but so far all I got is

"Freeland is introducing a new "Canadian Mortgage Charter," which will give homeowners new rights when facing a mortgage renewal."

Besides we're fucked and going broke but we can let the new buddy guys hold the bag

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...2023-1.7035098
Old 11-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #28970
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,364 Times in 5,658 Posts
Buddy guys never hold the bag, the family will always pay.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #28971
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I tried to find more info about it but so far all I got is

"Freeland is introducing a new "Canadian Mortgage Charter," which will give homeowners new rights when facing a mortgage renewal."

Besides we're fucked and going broke but we can let the new buddy guys hold the bag

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...2023-1.7035098
This article has more complete information:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10106658/...mic-statement/

Currently you don't have to re-stress test if you're renewing with your existing lender. However, if you are trying to shop banks to find a better rate at your renewal you have to do the stress all over again with the new lender.

The proposed legislation does away with that re-stress test requirement if switching lenders, allowing better opportunity to shop for better rates.

Note that this only applies to CMHC insured mortgages.

I'm not sure what you meant by "rage quit without worrying about losing your house". Yes you still very much can lose your house if you don't make your payments.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:40 PM   #28972

Lol so basically this doesn't affect the normal folk, just the poorest of the poor who are over their heads in leverage

"Note that this only applies to CMHC insured mortgages."

I don't think anyone I know has an insured mortgage, clearly no one on RS
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-21-2023, 07:17 PM   #28973

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I don't think anyone I know has an insured mortgage, clearly no one on RS
What's a mortgage?

- some RS baller, 2023
Old 11-21-2023, 07:20 PM   #28974
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
What's a mortgage?

- dark0821, 2023
Fixed

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2023, 07:47 AM   #28975

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Memories are for the riches. When it comes to paying for property taxes of 10k and misc stuff to upkeep... people start realizing it's too much to sit on it and not sell.

a) sell and split.
b) rental property and wait for the land to go up.

no one wants to do B but it's the biggest yield....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: