REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #30326
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
What happens in a case like this? Work safe pays out? Or sue the company?
Make Claim with worksafe, they pay the complensation. You can't actually sue your employer directly for injury on the job.

Worksafe would investiage and impose any penalties on the construction company should they find any violations/negligence etc.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:38 PM   #30327
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Kind of mixed here, those who buy houses to hold and immediately sell just banking on short term land value increase are a problem, but those who buy and do heavy renovations to properties which would otherwise be uninhabitable so are legitimate business in my view. They work that they're performing is in fact adding value, they're taking on financial risk in the process.

House was a complete "old granny special" a year ago
Agree ... love those home reno shows like Love It or List It!
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:52 PM   #30328
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I don't know the prices of sanich but sounds steep for 1000sq? You are basically stuck with a 70 year old size and layout even though the skin is redone? Dunno about the piping and wiring.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:27 PM   #30329

Was a complete gut.

New Electrical (New 200A Service), new plumbing, new heat pump, new perimeter drains, all the finishings, new concrete driveway & pathways front, side & back. Significant work. Not a "paint and trim" lipstick reno.

The land alone is $800k
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2024, 07:02 PM   #30330
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,458 Times in 5,117 Posts
No garage is a deal breaker to me on any place
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:05 PM   #30331
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Kind of mixed here, those who buy houses to hold and immediately sell just banking on short term land value increase are a problem, but those who buy and do heavy renovations to properties which would otherwise be uninhabitable so are legitimate business in my view. They work that they're performing is in fact adding value, they're taking on financial risk in the process.
I've never heard of anyone who has done that, so I'd be curious what the ratio is between people reno'ing uninhabitable properties vs the ones just slapping a bunch of cheap cosmwtic changes in that aren't actually necessary.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:18 PM   #30332

I dunno, it's pretty common over here.
My immediate neighbourhood is mostly 50/60's boxes former elderly owners who have moved on, and most are pretty ripe for these sorts of full modernizations. There are two other down at the other end of my street getting the same treatment. My own house when I bought it was not AS overhauled (not a complete gut), but had some bigger ticket items done just before me: IE New 200A service, new wiring, New Roof, New Deck, etc.
I think people are realizing the potential of the area, average 2024 Assessment for Saanich was on a whole was -2%. My area was +4%. (Boo more property tax)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 02-22-2024 at 08:28 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 PM   #30333
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,754 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Make Claim with worksafe, they pay the complensation. You can't actually sue your employer directly for injury on the job.

Worksafe would investiage and impose any penalties on the construction company should they find any violations/negligence etc.
I would think you could sue the development company, the subcontracting company that owns and operates the crane, and even the crane operator.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #30334
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I've never heard of anyone who has done that, so I'd be curious what the ratio is between people reno'ing uninhabitable properties vs the ones just slapping a bunch of cheap cosmwtic changes in that aren't actually necessary.
My parents neighbourhood is full of places like this... 1970's specials that haven't been kept up... technically habitable, but nobody would want to pay 1.6M for them... the house across from them the old guy had dementia for years and died in it and then a developer bought it for 1.4M, tore the house down and over the course of 1 year put up a (my opinion) ugly mansion with gates around it and this weird castle like dome on a round entrance pillar area... sold it for 2.6M... I'm sure they made a decent profit probably half a mill at construction costs at that time??
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:59 AM   #30335
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
A plumber / handyman friend of mine actually did that during the pandemic. He bought a run down house from an estate sale, and proceeded to spend something like 16 - 18 months fixing most of the things himself, while hiring other contractors / companies for the big ticket items. And now the house became their investment property, with them being the landlord.

Another friend also in the construction business has bought an old timer house as their primary residence, and has ever since been doing major renos / upgrades to it himself, and with the help of his constructor friends one part after another. So far, I think both the attic and the basement got fully overhauled.

If either of them were to sell, they would rightfully deserve the significantly higher property value.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #30336
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,360 Times in 5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
A plumber / handyman friend of mine actually did that during the pandemic. He bought a run down house from an estate sale, and proceeded to spend something like 16 - 18 months fixing most of the things himself, while hiring other contractors / companies for the big ticket items. And now the house became their investment property, with them being the landlord.

Another friend also in the construction business has bought an old timer house as their primary residence, and has ever since been doing major renos / upgrades to it himself, and with the help of his constructor friends one part after another. So far, I think both the attic and the basement got fully overhauled.

If either of them were to sell, they would rightfully deserve the significantly higher property value.
Those people are the devil though according to Reddit!!!!

People have no clue what Reno’s like that take lol. The amount of sweat equity your friends put in would likely never be realized in their gains, but by doing it yourself you’re really just paying yourself back with the equity gained.

Most people can’t change a light switch themselves. I have a few things in my own home that I did that were so over the top and weird I don’t think a contractor would even know what to charge for them
Old 02-23-2024, 10:11 AM   #30337
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
People have no clue what Reno’s like that take lol. The amount of sweat equity your friends put in would likely never be realized in their gains, but by doing it yourself you’re really just paying yourself back with the equity gained.

Most people can’t change a light switch themselves. I have a few things in my own home that I did that were so over the top and weird I don’t think a contractor would even know what to charge for them
I did a cosmetic (lipstick) reno on my untouched-from-1970 kitchen during the pandemic. Out of necessity - nobody had any cabinets in stock, supply chain issues, etc. etc. Even just being a superficial reno it was a lot of work. Like an additional part time job kind of work. I'm sure part of it was because I am a home reno noob and there was lots of learning, but still, it's not like it was a one-weekend project.

To do a cosmetic update on an entire house is not a trivial amount of work and I agree with others saying that there's value add there. What is that work worth? I don't know but I guess the market decides.

EDIT: May as well brag a bit, here's the product of a pandemic's summers worth of evenings and Saturday afternoons. At least it was a break from WFH Zoom hell:

Last edited by carsncars; 02-23-2024 at 10:17 AM.
carsncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:29 AM   #30338
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I did a cosmetic (lipstick) reno on my untouched-from-1970 kitchen during the pandemic. Out of necessity - nobody had any cabinets in stock, supply chain issues, etc. etc. Even just being a superficial reno it was a lot of work. Like an additional part time job kind of work. I'm sure part of it was because I am a home reno noob and there was lots of learning, but still, it's not like it was a one-weekend project.

To do a cosmetic update on an entire house is not a trivial amount of work and I agree with others saying that there's value add there. What is that work worth? I don't know but I guess the market decides.

EDIT: May as well brag a bit, here's the product of a pandemic's summers worth of evenings and Saturday afternoons. At least it was a break from WFH Zoom hell:

You kept that brown fridge? And it looks like the fridge barely fits under the cabinet.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:31 AM   #30339
Performance Moderator

Fantastic job man, colour choices are on point. Appliances can just be pulled out/swapped any time.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2024, 10:32 AM   #30340

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
You kept that brown fridge? And it looks like the fridge barely fits under the cabinet.
Yeah, there's maybe 3-5 mm clearance under the cabinet. I actually was going to replace the fridge but the sales guy said I'm better off keeping the fridge until it dies as it may outlast any new fridge I buy (? worst sales guy ever).
Old 02-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #30341
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,754 Times in 701 Posts
Is the flooring the same or different? The lighting makes it look like it's different, but it also looks the same?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:33 AM   #30342

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Is the flooring the same or different? The lighting makes it look like it's different, but it also looks the same?
Same flooring. First photo was the RE listing where they cranked the saturation to make the cabinet veneer look warm, it was actually a much more unpleasant shade of brown. Second photo is truer to life.

I would’ve rather ripped out the cabinets and replaced them with IKEA SEKTION but COVID. So it’s just the old doors but I added the trim and painted them all.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:28 PM   #30343
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I actually really like the fridge, if you had modernized your kitchen I would've said get some stainless, but now this looks more like a dark academia aesthetic vibe. And hell yeah it's true what they say about old appliances, keep using it if works!
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:16 PM   #30344
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I actually really like the fridge,
X2

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:41 PM   #30345

Quote:
I actually really like the fridge, if you had modernized your kitchen I would've said get some stainless...
When the entire kitchen was brown I was thinking 100% the fridge would have to go. Once things were less brown overall, I'm pretty fond of how it complements the cabinet colour and dark bronze hardware.

Quote:
...but now this looks more like a dark academia aesthetic vibe.
Thanks, I'm happy with how it came out aesthetically. Everyone told me not to do blue cabinets but now it's done, even my realtor friend thinks it'll have buyer appeal over the usual IKEA white cabinets.

Honestly, spending $15K+ on a full new kitchen for this place probably would've been a waste when this'll probably be the last kitchen update this house gets. Busy street in Joyce/Renfrew Heights area, so it's probably headed for a teardown and rebuild eventually.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:51 PM   #30346
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,141 Posts
Sigh even that kinda cosmetic upgrades cost a fortune. 15k ! Jesus. All house related crap is big bucks.

I remember a buddy of mine didn’t get new cabinet doors but instead just got his old doors repainted professionally. I think that set him back like 2k vs 10k for new doors.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:47 AM   #30347

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Any of you try claiming the Multigenerational Home Renovation Tax Credit? Or perhaps someone you know that went through the process?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ax-credit.html
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:42 AM   #30348

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Sigh even that kinda cosmetic upgrades cost a fortune. 15k ! Jesus. All house related crap is big bucks.

I remember a buddy of mine didn’t get new cabinet doors but instead just got his old doors repainted professionally. I think that set him back like 2k vs 10k for new doors.
Cabinet guy told me that it's the doors that drive up the cost. The boxes are cheap like $50.
That small kitchen probably shouldnt be 15k though. For around 15k, I did 1 kitchen + 3 bathrooms where I did new doors, new counters, new handles, change to soft close hinges.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:59 AM   #30349
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
carsncars - Nice reno!

Which massage chair make/model is that in the background? Looks like a Panasonic to me, but hard to tell.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 AM   #30350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
For around 15k, I did 1 kitchen + 3 bathrooms where I did new doors, new counters, new handles, change to soft close hinges.
That's not bad. I'm looking at doing the basement kitchen right now + 2 bathrooms. I'm not sure I have the energy in me to DIY again, but finding a good contractor also seems like work in itself.

Here's what my basement bath looks like right now : love the avocado coloured toilet/bathtub/sink