REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:33 AM   #30376
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,198 Times in 2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
is that a thing nowadays where the shower doesnt have a door? i mean i can understand if it's at the far end of the shower but right in the middle?
Yeah the middle door in the pic above is kinda dumb.

But yes having no door is a thing that is becoming more popular and quite divisive based on what I've seen on reddit.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:39 AM   #30377
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
in asia where wet bathrooms are more common it's ok, i wouldnt want one in my bathroom unless the water barely ever splashed that far.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:47 AM   #30378
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,470 Times in 5,121 Posts
I just don't want it here because it's fuckin cold in the winter, keep that nice warm shower steam around me, not open to the icy breeze shrinking up my junk
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:58 AM   #30379
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,234 Posts
Hey for those of you who paid off your mortgage. Did you have to engage a lawyer or notary to fully discharge your mortgage and remove the bank from the title? Apparently that's a thing? My parents and my in-laws never had to do such a thing back in the day but I'm reading about it online and it says it's necessary and I should budget for it.

Looking at you 68style.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:12 AM   #30380
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I do like the look of those doorless showers, but after using them in hotels, Airbnbs etc. I agree it's not as warm because all the warm shower steam wafts out.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:53 AM   #30381
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Hey for those of you who paid off your mortgage. Did you have to engage a lawyer or notary to fully discharge your mortgage and remove the bank from the title? Apparently that's a thing? My parents and my in-laws never had to do such a thing back in the day but I'm reading about it online and it says it's necessary and I should budget for it.

Looking at you 68style.
I used a notary, but not for the reason you are thinking. I had to use one because of a personal situation from way back when, my condo was actually in my parents names with a trust letter and I needed a notary to file all the paperwork to move the title from them to me with the trust letter on file.

For the mortgage itself though, 30 days after the mortgage is paid off (28 days in my case) the bank sends a notification to the land title office saying they no longer have an interest in the property and they send you a discharge letter, removing themselves from it. You don't need to get a notary to do that so far as I'm aware. I did have to pester the bank quite a few times to do this though. Seems a bit strange to me that you'd need to pay a notary for anything, you can request paperwork from the land title office yourself if you really wanted.

My notary had to actually sit on the file for awhile waiting for the discharge notice before they could proceed with the title transfer from my parents to myself.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2024, 01:02 PM   #30382
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,730 Times in 895 Posts
This pretty much sums up our first world problems

https://youtu.be/CxmH4OLNM4c?si=IYCEfiEJ1Bn-EUBu
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:21 PM   #30383
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I used a notary, but not for the reason you are thinking. I had to use one because of a personal situation from way back when, my condo was actually in my parents names with a trust letter and I needed a notary to file all the paperwork to move the title from them to me with the trust letter on file.

For the mortgage itself though, 30 days after the mortgage is paid off (28 days in my case) the bank sends a notification to the land title office saying they no longer have an interest in the property and they send you a discharge letter, removing themselves from it. You don't need to get a notary to do that so far as I'm aware. I did have to pester the bank quite a few times to do this though. Seems a bit strange to me that you'd need to pay a notary for anything, you can request paperwork from the land title office yourself if you really wanted.

My notary had to actually sit on the file for awhile waiting for the discharge notice before they could proceed with the title transfer from my parents to myself.
Yeah it seems weird to have to pay extra for the services of a notary/lawyer just to remove the bank off of title for what should be a routine transaction. Smells like a racket TBH.

My mom says back in the 90s she went to the Land Title Office herself and checked to make sure the bank was off the house. Sounded like such a Boomer "go shake the hand of the manager" story that I wasn't sure. I guess I'll check with the bank when it's time. I don't even know where the land title office is...is it in New West? Do they still let Joe and Jane Blow in during regular hours?

Old 02-26-2024, 01:33 PM   #30384
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,367 Times in 5,658 Posts
lol when you walk in you’re gonna be like this ain’t legit

We paid off a mortgage before under different circumstances and the paper trail you receive to say you no longer have a loan associated with said property is NOT something that gives you peice of mind that everything is squared up on your end lol
Old 02-26-2024, 01:36 PM   #30385
linguistic ninja

What happened?

Old 02-26-2024, 01:38 PM   #30386
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
I asked vancity for a discharge letter after selling and they never even registered their interest with the land title office

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #30387
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,367 Times in 5,658 Posts
Nothing really, just to 68’s point, after you pay the notary and all that other BS (sorry I can’t remember the specifics but I remember using a notary as well)

You get the notification from land title office that there is no longer a mortgage on the home etc. and the title is clear. The paper you get is like the most generic thing you’ve ever seen.

It just felt completely underwhelming after you’ve spent all this time and money paying off a mortgage to have a generic letterhead arrive saying your clear lol
Old 02-26-2024, 01:43 PM   #30388
Performance Moderator

If you really want something that says it even after the bank gives you their discharge letter, I don't think you need to be a notary to get it... the fees are outlined here:

https://ltsa.ca/fees/

Like I said I only used a notary because my circumstances were highly unique.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 06:31 AM   #30389
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
is that a thing nowadays where the shower doesnt have a door? i mean i can understand if it's at the far end of the shower but right in the middle?
that pic is weird not having a middle window.

this is going to be similar for me, we just can't put a door due to the window. the water can't be routed, so we'll end up being like this.
This bathroom is diff esp wehn it's 100sq ft, mine is small as F, but we can only have a glass and no door.

6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:01 AM   #30390
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I do like the look of those doorless showers, but after using them in hotels, Airbnbs etc. I agree it's not as warm because all the warm shower steam wafts out.
I recall going to Hong Kong over 20 years ago and discovering "doorless" showers there - the toilet was located where you'd shower b/c the spaces were so small. Edit: You could literally shit and shower at the same time.

Last edited by supafamous; 02-27-2024 at 08:20 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 08:25 AM   #30391
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
InB4 shitter showers are the next normal thing in new condo construction, for studios and "1beds" in vancouver

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 08:28 AM   #30392
Performance Moderator

So what's the next great country to move to after we densify the shit out of Van and everyone's fed up with all this "progress" resulting in everybody living on top of each other and you can't drive because there's nowhere to park and you can't breathe without smelling someone else's farts?

NZ?
Old 02-27-2024, 08:29 AM   #30393
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
I would love a shower room like that. That seems perfect for me.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:40 AM   #30394
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
So what's the next great country to move to after we densify the shit out of Van and Hondaracer is fed up with all this "progress"
Leave hondaracer out of this

Quote:

NZ?
Dont know what your talking about

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 08:44 AM   #30395

Thanked 7,198 Times in 2,414 Posts
We decided to go with door-less in our recent reno. Admittedly it does have quite a larger 'splash zone' past the glass than originally imagined, however it's not a significant amount of water and easily wiped up and dries quickly.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzmNimQP2kT/

In hindsight I would have extended the glass to match the length of the shower base, but that would not have reduced the splash too much.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 09:05 AM   #30396
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,311 Times in 2,516 Posts
What about using a curved shower curtain rod?

In the case of the picture below, it'd need to be a fairly long and quarter circle piece that bolts to the wall. It'd contain the splashes, but it probably wouldn't look nearly as clean as the pic looks right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
this is going to be similar for me, we just can't put a door due to the window. the water can't be routed, so we'll end up being like this.

Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:46 PM   #30397

I'm of the opinion that functionally shower curtains are pretty ideal when installed correctly and cleaned/changed as appropriate. However they don't look pretty and I've seen enough gross/mildew-ridden/poorly installed (friction rods are crap) curtains to understand why they have a bad rap.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #30398

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
^ coloured fixtures are worth money in the used market! When I was selling a handful of fixtures, I got lots of inquiries, but a filming company ended up scooping up most of it.

As for looking for a contactor to refresh your cabinets, I can share the one that did mine. Don't need to go through the GC, cuz the contractor left their design sheet behind with company info on it. Intentional? But do keep in mind that if you are swapping countertops, you'll need 2 trades to do work, one for the cabinet + countertop, another for the sink + faucet.
can I get a cabinet contact too please?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:06 PM   #30399
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What about using a curved shower curtain rod?

In the case of the picture below, it'd need to be a fairly long and quarter circle piece that bolts to the wall. It'd contain the splashes, but it probably wouldn't look nearly as clean as the pic looks right now.
Curved curtain rod would ruin the aesthetic. I think this is more form over function.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM   #30400

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
To do a functional doorless shower you need quite a large shower to reduce splashback. These examples posted seem to be because they couldn’t fit a door in the first place, so left it out. Lol.