REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #8976
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
No need to act badass. You ain't D. funk. Leave it to the pro's like him.
Hiring hitmans to recoup the funds is certainly a possibility. And we know who is right there at the top of our hiring list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
You don't want to know how bad it is. My wife, sister in law, and a good friend all work at the RTA and some of the horror stories they tell us.
I've heard of a number of fairly bad tenants from friends' personal experience, and my own folks have had to deal with a messy MJ-growing deadbeat couple in the past. But for the most part, I find that by simply doing everything by the book -- doing your proper tenant screening, follow up on the reference & employer check, telling the viewer / potential tenant how we would carry the contract signing through, etc. -- that would eliminate a significant portion of the shady people. It isn't perfect -- my last 2 tenants still gave me enough headaches that took weeks and months to sort through, but it is all we can do to minimize the risks involved.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #8977
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I have a pretty good relationship with my building manager. They just evicted a tenant. I knew the guy from passing by in and out of the bullding. Always thought he was a nice guy, little different but nice.

Anyhow. I just took a tour. Makes the TV showing "Hoarders" look like childs play. I could not fucking believe what i saw in there, and that was after 4 trucks gone! The guys doing the work said they have never seen even close to that bad. Scary.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #8978
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
I was looking at a unit in trump and they where very shady. End result asked for 12 months rent in advanced plus deposit.

Spoke with a few agents and thats not even legal
Can someone point me to somewhere it is written this is not allowed? Like in the RTA or something.

I had a friend say something similar, and I was always under the impression this wasn't allowed, but now looking it up, I cant find where it says it isn't allowed.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #8979
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Can someone point me to somewhere it is written this is not allowed? Like in the RTA or something.

I had a friend say something similar, and I was always under the impression this wasn't allowed, but now looking it up, I cant find where it says it isn't allowed.

Deposits & Fees - Province of British Columbia

Quote:
Landlord & Tenant Responsibilities

Landlords:

- Can only request one security deposit or pet damage deposit per tenancy agreement, regardless of the number of tenants or pets
- Can serve a One Month Notice to End Tenancy (PDF, 2.1MB) if a tenant fails to pay the security deposit within 30 days of entering into the tenancy agreement or a pet damage deposit within 30 days of when it’s required
- Cannot request deposits based on rules and procedures used in other areas (for example, landlords can’t ask for “first and last month’s rent” or “key money”)
- Cannot increase the amount of a deposit with a rent increase
- Cannot automatically keep all or part of the deposit at the end of the tenancy
Asking for 12 months rent in advance would fall under the bolded. Illegal.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #8980
I subscribe to Revscene

I guess it's the same situation as something like a gym, where you can prepay for a year's membership. It doesn't sound illegal to me, but it sure as hell sounds stupid for a tenant to pay for a year upfront.

edit: ^^^ what if it's not a deposit, but straight up rent? would that fall under the same category?
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
I guess it's the same situation as something like a gym, where you can prepay for a year's membership. It doesn't sound illegal to me, but it sure as hell sounds stupid for a tenant to pay for a year upfront.

edit: ^^^ what if it's not a deposit, but straight up rent? would that fall under the same category?
The point is, a landlord can only ask for what's outlined in the above. Rent beyond when it's due is not listed, therefore it wouldn't fly.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #8982

I don't think there is anything written explicitly in the RTA that prevents an upfront payment for the entire lease term. However, the standard RTB lease contract includes a section where the terms of payment are explicitly spelled out. It goes something along the lines of:

The tenant agrees to pay a rent of $XXXX amount each day/week/month to the landlord on [whatever day -- 1st, 2nd, 15th, etc.] of the day/week/month.

So if you have a clause like that in the rental contract, the payment dates are already spelled out.

[edit] ^^ Obviously, I know shxt about the RTA.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #8983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Deposits & Fees - Province of British Columbia

- Cannot request deposits based on rules and procedures used in other areas (for example, landlords can’t ask for “first and last month’s rent” or “key money”)
As expected, this particular line is as vague as it can be. WTF are "rules and procedures used in other areas" supposed to mean?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #8984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I don't think there is anything written explicitly in the RTA that prevents an upfront payment for the entire lease term. However, the standard RTB lease contract includes a section where the terms of payment are explicitly spelled out. It goes something along the lines of:

The tenant agrees to pay a rent of $XXXX amount each day/week/month to the landlord on [whatever day -- 1st, 2nd, 15th, etc.] of the day/week/month.

So if you have a clause like that in the rental contract, the payment dates are already spelled out.

[edit] ^^ Obviously, I know shxt about the RTA.
Yeah you can spell out payment terms in a tenancy agreement, but at the same time you can't contradict RTA. It's a good question, is requiring 12-month pre-payment to start a tenancy a contradiction of what a landlord is allowed to ask for under Deposits/Fees? I guess I don't know.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #8985
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
we're going to be renting our the basement suite of the home we will be living in probably in January/Feb

i've only rented to two tenants prior to this in an investment property, and they were both fairly excellent and little to no headaches. I also wasnt as concerned with my tenants there as they were not living right below me..

anywhere i can read up on tenant agreements in depth/anything i should watch out for specifically? Traum i see you talk about adding amendments into your contracts? is this a typical thing do to in terms of damage, cleanliness, etc.?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #8986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
anywhere i can read up on tenant agreements in depth/anything i should watch out for specifically? Traum i see you talk about adding amendments into your contracts? is this a typical thing do to in terms of damage, cleanliness, etc.?
Yeah, I always include an amendment to the rental contract -- the RTA allows that -- and I use it to explicitly spell out additional terms that I would like to include. Typical items that I include are:

- smoking not allowed on premise
- must comply with all strata by-laws
- move in/move out fee
- damage & cleanliness
- rental insurance requirements
- other clauses as appropriate, depending on the tenant

The move-in/move-out fee is collected by the strata / management corp, so I write that in the amendment and spell out the amount.

For damage & cleanliness, I pretty much say the tenant needs to make sure the suite is clean and damage-free when they move out. Otherwise, I will hire professional cleaners / repair persons to perform all necessary work to bring the suite back to the start-of-term condition, and they will be responsible for the costs of this. With my past 2 tenants, I have unfortunately have to enact this clause. Had I not included it in the amendment, I may or may not have been able to force/coax the tenant into covering those costs and fixing the damage that was caused. But with the clause included in an amendment where the tenant's signature sits right at the bottom of the page, all I had to do was to point to the amendment, and tell them this was something they have known and agreed to.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #8987
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Typical items that I include are:

- smoking not allowed on premise
- must comply with all strata by-laws
- move in/move out fee
- damage & cleanliness
- rental insurance requirements
- other clauses as appropriate, depending on the tenant
Those are good points to add. I never considered the non-smoking clause, because we haven't rented to smokers in the past. But it's a good one to add, especially with the prevalence of pot smoke everywhere.

In today's AirBnB market, I recently added a no sublet clause to my rental agreements. I don't want my renter going to Mexico for a week, and renting out my place in the short term. Especially with my Whistler place where they could rent it out for a week over the holidays for the equivalent of a month's rent.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #8988
I subscribe to Revscene

i don't think you're allowed to sublet without landlord consent per the RTA anyway?

Sublet & Assignment - Province of British Columbia
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #8989

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i don't think you're allowed to sublet without landlord consent per the RTA anyway?

Sublet & Assignment - Province of British Columbia
"A tenant must have their landlord’s written permission before subletting or assigning their tenancy. A landlord can’t unreasonably refuse a sublet or assignment of a fixed-term tenancy for a period of six months or more."
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #8990
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #8991
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
November Stats out today.

Quote:
Home sales and listings just below 10-year average
Home buyer and seller activity remains near historical averages in the Metro Vancouver housing market.

Residential home sales in the region totalled 2,214 in November 2016, a decrease of 0.9 per cent from the 2,233 sales recorded in October 2016 and a decrease of 37.2 per cent compared to November 2015 when 3,524 homes sold.

Last month’s sales were 7.6 per cent below the 10-year sales average for the month.

“While 2016 has been anything but a normal year for the Metro Vancouver housing market, supply and demand totals have returned to more historically normal levels over the last few months,” said Dan Morrison, Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV) president.

New listings for detached, attached and apartment properties in Metro Vancouver totalled 3,147 in November 2016. This represents a decrease of 20.9 per cent compared to the 3,981 units listed in October 2016 and a 7.2 per cent decrease compared to November 2015 when 3,392 properties were listed.

Last month’s new listing count was 1.2 per cent below the region’s 10-year new listing average for the month.

The total number of properties currently listed for sale on the MLS® system in Metro Vancouver is 8,385, an 8.3 per cent decrease compared to October 2016 (9,143) and a 3.6 per cent increase compared to November 2015 (8,096).

The sales-to-active listings ratio for November 2016 is 26.4 per cent. This is up two per cent from last month (24.4 per cent).

Downward pressure on home prices can occur when the ratio dips below the 12 per cent mark for a sustained period, while home prices can experience upward pressure when it surpasses 20 per cent over several months.

“Demand, relative to supply, for detached homes is lower right now than demand for townhomes and apartments,” Morrison said. “This is causing prices to remain stable, or flat, for townhomes and apartments, while detached homes are seeing modest month-over-month declines.”

The MLS® Home Price Index composite benchmark price for all residential properties in Metro Vancouver is currently $908,300. This represents a 1.2 per cent decrease compared to last month and a 20.5 per cent increase compared to November 2015.

Sales of detached properties in November 2016 reached 638, a decrease of 2.1 per cent from the 652 detached sales recorded in October 2016 and a 52.2 per cent decline over November 2015. The benchmark price for detached properties is $1,511,100. This represents a 2.2 per cent decline compared to last month and a 23 per cent increase compared to November 2015.

Sales of apartment properties reached 1,200 in November 2016, an increase of 1.9 per cent compared to the 1,178 sales in October 2016 and a 22.7 per cent decrease compared to November 2015.The benchmark price of an apartment property is $512,100. This is unchanged from last month and is an 18 per cent increase compared to November 2015.

Attached property sales in November 2016 totalled 376, a decrease of 6.7 per cent compared to the 403 sales in October 2016 and a 40.9 per cent decline compared to November 2015. The benchmark price of an attached unit is $667,100. This represents a 0.3 per cent decrease compared to last month and a 23 per cent increase compared to November 2015.

I think the big thing to take home from the stats are the 4 paragraphs.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 12-02-2016 at 05:57 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #8992
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,185 Times in 480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
we're going to be renting our the basement suite of the home we will be living in probably in January/Feb

i've only rented to two tenants prior to this in an investment property, and they were both fairly excellent and little to no headaches. I also wasnt as concerned with my tenants there as they were not living right below me..

This is a good start
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68903...-landlord.html
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #8993
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Great, was looking for that thread thanks
Old 12-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #8994
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Don’t blame foreign buyers for Vancouver’s real estate mess: CMHC boss
“When a white person buys a house, we don’t know. When a person of a different colour does, we do, and that’s not good economics”

By: Jen St. Denis Metro Published on Wed Nov 30 2016

Don?t blame foreign buyers for Vancouver?s real estate mess: CMHC boss | Metro Vancouver

Evan Siddall, president and CEO of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, speaks in Vancouver on Nov. 30

Foreign buyers are not to blame for skyrocketing real estate, the CEO of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation told a Vancouver audience on Nov. 30.
“The evidence tells us that the origin of investor activity in Canadian real estate is primarily domestic,” Siddall said.
He indicated that B.C.’s foreign buyer tax was poor economics, and has a disturbing racial quality.
“When a white person buys a house, we don’t know. When a person of a different colour does, we do, and that’s not good economics.”
A new CMHC report released Nov. 30 shows that foreign buyers own just 2.2 per cent of condominium units in Vancouver and 2.3 per cent in Toronto.

Data collected by the B.C. government between June and October shows that foreign buyers represented 10 per cent of total transactions in June, rising to 19 per cent in July, the same month a 15 per cent property transfer tax on foreign buyers of Metro Vancouver real estate was announced. It fell to 0.5 per cent of transactions in August (the tax took effect on August 1) and was just 3.6 and 1.7 per cent of total transactions in September and October.

Foreign involvement real estate transactions by dollar amount in Metro Vancouver, June to Octorber. Data source: Government of British Columbia

While some have taken the sharp rise and fall of transactions to be proof that foreign buyers were playing a large part in the Vancouver market, Siddall said that wasn’t the case: the market had started to slow before the tax was introduced, and he described the July spike as a “pull-forward of demand.”
Siddall suggested the local real estate market response has more to do with psychology than actual reduced demand: people believed the tax would work, and that reduced the expectation that real estate would continue to rise.

Overall, a combination of low interest rates, various government tax credits and incentives that encourage home ownership, the growing use of housing as an investment, and economic and population growth are behind the steep rise in real estate prices, Sidall said. But that’s led to a dangerous increase in household debt levels and a larger share of incomes being devoted to housing, which can reduce consumer spending in other parts of the economy.
“Housing has started to nibble away at our economy,” he said. “Real estate conditions and transfer costs now dwarf spending in research and development.”

Siddall believes demand will continue to remain strong in Metro Vancouver, and the only real solution is to increase supply through speeding up the building process and increasing density.
Sidall also pushed for a faster supply of new rental, which is badly needed throughout the region: CMHC’s rental survey, released earlier this week, showed that vacancy rates in several Metro Vancouver municipalities are at or near zero, while rents increased 6.4 per cent, the highest year-over-year increase ever tracked by the agency.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #8995
RS controls my life!

So apparently City of Lougheed lines up crazeness means sold out of 550 units for Tower 1... of 23. $400K for a 600ft box on second floor seem crazy. We will see if things rescind next 6 days.

Michael Moore lookalike here probably got paid $1800 for 5 days of sitting outside.

This may be obvious, but people realize there's going to be 22 more...right?
SHAPE must realize how insane this build is...how expensive can Lougheed get?

Early access VIP realtors and people did all right - people I know had access to 40s' of units and just peeled them out to clients early.
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #8996
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Michael Moore lookalike here probably got paid $1800 for 5 days of sitting outside.
I heard it was $2000 to line up from Monday night 8pm till Saturday 10am
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #8997

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
So apparently City of Lougheed lines up crazeness means sold out of 550 units for Tower 1... of 23. $400K for a 600ft box on second floor seem crazy. We will see if things rescind next 6 days.

This may be obvious, but people realize there's going to be 22 more...right?
SHAPE must realize how insane this build is...how expensive can Lougheed get?

Early access VIP realtors and people did all right - people I know had access to 40s' of units and just peeled them out to clients early.
The day I wait in line or pay someone to wait in line to buy a piece of property is.................never!!! I think I can confidently say that I'll go to my grave without this ever happening.

Forget lining up days in advance, if there is a lineup to get in to view of more then 5 minutes I'm not interested. I can't be bothered to go to a movie without assigned seating because I'm not showing up early and I'm not waiting.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #8998
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Don’t blame foreign buyers for Vancouver’s real estate mess: CMHC boss
“When a white person buys a house, we don’t know. When a person of a different colour does, we do, and that’s not good economics”

By: Jen St. Denis Metro Published on Wed Nov 30 2016
I didn't know foreign buyers were all non-white.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #8999
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I didn't know foreign buyers were all non-white.
now you know

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #9000

Quote:
He indicated that B.C.’s foreign buyer tax was poor economics, and has a disturbing racial quality.
Do people's brains automatically malfunction when their own interest is at stake? Especially in this day and age, and in Canada of all places, what does foreign citizenship have to do with race?

I get that when your personal / business interest is at risk, you come out and defend it however you can. But at least, put some thought and logic into your argument so that it would at least make sense. Otherwise, you are just going to appear as an idiot and completely blow your credibility.