REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #9201
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If I had a chance to speak to Frank Wu I'd have two words, bummer dude.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #9202

"Wu says the tax won’t deter him from plans to invest more than $100 million over the next two to three years to build mainly residential properties in Canada for Chinese buyers."

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #9203
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
"Wu says the tax won’t deter him from plans to invest more than $100 million over the next two to three years to build mainly residential properties in Canada for Chinese buyers."

Not racist but more opportunist. If there are more black multi millionaires he will be building housing for black buyers.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #9204
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post

Spoiler!

get the right race

Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #9205
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hey Revscene. I know this is more about real estate and not renovations but there seems to be more traffic on here. Here's my story.

I am moving into my condo in kits after purchasing and renting it out right for 3 years. The building is 2001, about 800 sqt ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a den/storage room in the unit. The wife and I want to do some renovations to it before moving in and we are not sure what cost is ideal to do the whole apartment from bathroom, kitchen and living spaces and rooms, which is our ideal bucket list. We are both working professionals and work about 10 hours a day so in terms of renovating the place ourselves it's just not cost effective for us because of the nature of our jobs. We have been given two quotes so far by two contractors and one "seems" on the low side and one is quite high. Low end about 40k and high end 70k-80k to get what we want done. Our ideal time living in the apartment will be shortest 5 years middle 8 years and max 10 years depending on kids and extra space needed. The place does look dated and want to make it look fresh for us to be excited to come back home from our long hours of work.

Any advice or idea would be appreciated in terms of what is a good reno estimate that is cost effective for us to live in an updated apartment that we are satisfied and also how much is too much money to put in and not make any profit when we sell the place to purchase something in the future.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #9206
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Hey Revscene. I know this is more about real estate and not renovations but there seems to be more traffic on here. Here's my story.

I am moving into my condo in kits after purchasing and renting it out right for 3 years. The building is 2001, about 800 sqt ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a den/storage room in the unit. The wife and I want to do some renovations to it before moving in and we are not sure what cost is ideal to do the whole apartment from bathroom, kitchen and living spaces and rooms, which is our ideal bucket list. We are both working professionals and work about 10 hours a day so in terms of renovating the place ourselves it's just not cost effective for us because of the nature of our jobs. We have been given two quotes so far by two contractors and one "seems" on the low side and one is quite high. Low end about 40k and high end 70k-80k to get what we want done. Our ideal time living in the apartment will be shortest 5 years middle 8 years and max 10 years depending on kids and extra space needed. The place does look dated and want to make it look fresh for us to be excited to come back home from our long hours of work.

Any advice or idea would be appreciated in terms of what is a good reno estimate that is cost effective for us to live in an updated apartment that we are satisfied and also how much is too much money to put in and not make any profit when we sell the place to purchase something in the future.
So are we talking about getting all that totally redone (bathroom, kitchen and living spaces and rooms)? What's the size of each?

Does the estimate include both labour and materials?

What type of materials are we using here? Marble, quartz, etc...?

All of this is important as the marble for my bathrooms (2) were a little more than 2000, the toilets were 650 a piece, the shower faucet and accompanying system were 1000+.

Honestly, things add up quickly. Without more information, it's hard to give an estimate.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #9207

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
So are we talking about getting all that totally redone (bathroom, kitchen and living spaces and rooms)? What's the size of each?

Does the estimate include both labour and materials?

Material was given for the higher quote in terms of flooring, countertops, backsplash and tiling. The higher quote did not include any appliances since I have a brand new fridge and dishwasher, but I will have to purchase a new gas range stove and also an over hood microwave. Toilets, tubs will stay for both quotes and not replaced.

What type of materials are we using here? Marble, quartz, etc...?
I believe the counter tops will be man made material. Def not laminate tops. Higher quote only gave us new doors and not complete new custom cabinets.

All of this is important as the marble for my bathrooms (2) were a little more than 2000, the toilets were 650 a piece, the shower faucet and accompanying system were 1000+.

Honestly, things add up quickly. Without more information, it's hard to give an estimate.
Another thing is the lower quote is more of a guy who is more of jack of all trades type of person. The higher quote is more of a contractor and bringing in all special trades to do the work.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #9208
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
In terms of cost-effectiveness, I would look at it this way:

You're planning to stay there, say, 7 - 8 years. So your amortised costs is effectively around $10k per year. The question then becomes -- do you like this condo well enough to shell out $10k per year as sunk costs? That's a question only you can answer.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #9209

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If you're going to use a legit contractor not some handy man make him sign a contract that lists the complete scope of work. He should have insurance and you should be holding back 10% off each invoice (assuming it's more then 1 month to complete) not to be paid out until the work is complete per your agreement. So many guys working out of their truck want to charge the same as established contractors but want terms like you're their employer which is bullshit.

Now if you're going to use some guy doing it all on his own who is just a small time handyman it's different rules IMO. You might need to purchase the materials for him which is fine, that's one of the reasons you're saving so much money. Use your due diligence and be smart about it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #9210
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
As well since it's a strata property things can add up/change very quickly.

Your plans could have a wrench thrown in them at every turn due to the layout of plumbing etc.

Also you will need strata approval, permits, etc
Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #9211

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
If you're going to use a legit contractor not some handy man make him sign a contract that lists the complete scope of work. He should have insurance and you should be holding back 10% off each invoice (assuming it's more then 1 month to complete) not to be paid out until the work is complete per your agreement. So many guys working out of their truck want to charge the same as established contractors but want terms like you're their employer which is bullshit.

Now if you're going to use some guy doing it all on his own who is just a small time handyman it's different rules IMO. You might need to purchase the materials for him which is fine, that's one of the reasons you're saving so much money. Use your due diligence and be smart about it.
One is an established contractor. I can source out materials and save some money from Mark up but even then it's still too much.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #9212
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

I did something really similar at around the same time last year. We bought an old townhouse (1200sqft) and it need work and we spent around 40k including materials and new appliances. We hired a handyman that's been doing house work for us for over 10 years. I'll give you some idea of the break downs, appliances cost around 10k, and materials was around half the rest of the cost iirc.

We redid:
Master bedroom washroom (tub, sink, cabinets, tiles, basically everything)
Kitchen - everything except for cabinets (counter top, appliances, floor, faucet, backing tiles, etc)
We pulled all the carpet, put flooring in the living room, 2nd and 3rd bedroom and hallway. Replaced the carpet on the stairs and master bedroom. Redid the fireplace facade. Replaced all counter tops. All new baseboard heaters and floorboards. Added lighting in living and swapped out all the old light fixtures and got all LED bulbs.
Other interesting non-standard things was we dug out the back wall of the laundry closet because it was designed for condo sized units. This allowed us to put in full size units. The laundry room was also using vinyl flooring, so we put in tiles. We also filled in two windows that were quite frankly, useless.

We saved lots of money by painting the house ourselves. The handy man quoted around $2-4k to paint the whole house. We instead just paid for paint and did everything ourselves. Plus I was OCD and insisted on sanding down all the old paint before painting.

They brought in "experts" in wherever they can't do the work, such as counters and carpets. They had contacts where we got decent to good deals. We used synthetic stone for all our counters and it came up to around $2200 including cutting and install (the installer said it's more durable especially in the kitchen, and cheaper). Carpets was $1800 for stairs and master bedroom.

We picked and picked up most of the items ourselves and had it in the house ready to go for them, which saved money. 2 car loads of flooring (48 boxes from store on Bridgeport Richmond), all the toilet pieces except for the glass door(home depot) and tub(Lowes).
They gave us their accounts for some of the places which obviously saved money as well:
Flooring in Richmond
Sherwin Williams for paint
Olympia Tile (Willingdon)

After typing all that out, I think we obviously got a good deal with a guy that we trust. If you trust that handyman to be able to do a good job and get you deals etc then I don't see why the handyman is not the way to go. only thing I didn't like was it took almost 3 months to finish everything, which was a little too long.

Side notes:
Garbage is expensive because the garbage type needs to be separated(dry wall, tiles metal, wood etc), which wastes time. Taking the garbage to collection costs money, and driving there costs gas and money.
Older building plumbing really sucks.
If you want to put in flooring when it used to be carpet, make sure the strata is ok with it. My strata had regulations on the standards which underlayer we use had to meet.
My handyman only worked 10am - 6pm because he said he's received complaints at many places about noise.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #9213
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Finding a handyman type deal or one person companies/contractors can save a tonne of money, it's just finding the quality people that's hard

Our house had knob and tube in 2/3rds of the house plus I needed a suite wired from scratch. I had three different quotes from "bigger" companies who were going to only replace what was existing, so if there was a light there, they'd wire that light again, if there was a plug in this spot, that was the plug they'd re-wire

The quotes from "big" companies were 12-15k for the replacement, no additional work, no extra lights, not doing the suite.

I found a fantastic electrician who works on his own through my contractor, I gave him a hand through the entire process. We rewired the entire house, added a sub panel, added approx 25 new LED pot lights in the house, and he wired the entire suite with another 20 pots

All said and done, he probably did double if not more work than the "big" companies quoted and he was half the price.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #9214
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Your main constraint is the strata.. check your strata rules in terms of contractors first. Some like mine, need to be bonded / insured, there are limited work hours, time table when the work will be done etc. It will whittle down, who can do / willing to do your job really quick (basically it eliminates 1 person handy man type companies). The best is to ask around your neighbours to see if anyone had done similar work before... then check your strata rules see how much wiggle room you have. Different stratas work differently.

Also consider the cost of packing and moving somewhere during the renovation too.

That's the cost of living in an apartment.

Quote:

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #9215
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Province to exempt those with work permits from foreign buyers tax, premier says - British Columbia - CBC News
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #9216

Hope everyone got in while they could..
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #9217
I STILL don't get it

Fucking bullshit, slowly the tax is gonna be gone again
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #9218
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

What are your opinions on buying a second parking spot these days? Will I break even or gain value buying the extra spot.

With uber and driverless cars coming. Will parking spots become obsolete or am I over thinking it haha?
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #9219

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
People aren't stoping driving anytime soon. Its worth it. It was the deal maker in my condo in edmonton when there were 8 other units for sale in my building. The other ones sat for weeks to months after mine sold. It was a huge selling point.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #9220
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

When I bought my condo in 2010 they were selling extra spots for 30k, couldn't justify spending that much.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #9221
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL typeS View Post
Fucking bullshit, slowly the tax is gonna be gone again
I doubt it was ever intended to stay in the first place. She wanted to look like the hero who's catering to BC families who can't survive here when it was implemented. Now that elections are coming up it seems like her desperate attempt to attract more votes because she knows she's going under.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #9222
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
What are your opinions on buying a second parking spot these days? Will I break even or gain value buying the extra spot.

With uber and driverless cars coming. Will parking spots become obsolete or am I over thinking it haha?
Depends on your plans with the unit.
Most new builds are charging $30K for a spot.
I rent my parking spot for $60 per month.
It would take 41.67 years to break even at this rate, and that doesn't take into account inflation, or taxes.

Personally, I don't think not having a spot is a deal breaker.
Just have to adjust the price accordingly, especially if there is adequate street parking or spots to rent from the strata or other owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #9223
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i've rented in an area with 1 spot and street parking is very hard to find. it's a PITA when you're a couple with 2 cars but also depends on cost of the parking spot. at the time my area had spots renting for $100/month

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #9224
I don't get it

You can't make this stuff up I clicked the link and saw in the artcle

Clark did not elaborate on the proposed changes. She was discussing U.S. President Donald Trump's immigration order that bars citizens from a select group of Muslim-majority countries.

Clark told reporters that her government opposes the ban.

"We are going to fight to make sure that people who are dual citizens, Canadians who may hold a passport from Iran or Iraq or Syria — can continue to travel. Those are the values we stand for as Canadians."

Then on the side bar todays top headlines! Quebec deadly mosque shooting
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #9225
RS controls my life!

I'm pretty close to some of the developers and you can smell the desperation starting on condos. 15% deposit has crept up to 25% in some cases.

MLA Report - over 100,000 new units to come out in 2017. With over 30,000 ones in Burnaby coming out. Metrotown's over $900/ft and Brentwood's a bit crazy at near $850/ft. No one's assigning for less.

City of Lougheed (facepalm) got 22 more towers to sell. Going to be interesting...
LOL at Bob Rennie's $16M lawsuit vs. Shape

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/1/l...erties-owes-m/
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: