REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #9226
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Good old Huffington

China's Cash Outflow Crackdown Could Crash Vancouver Real Estate$|$Stephen Punwasi

On another note, January's statistics I found very interesting. Sales down about 38 percent from last year, but listings increased a huge amount from the last few months. Basically on par with Jan 2016, but up 215% from last month.

Supply is coming but the demand still isnt there.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #9227
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Actually, listings in Greater Vancouver (anywhere north of the Fraser to Coquitlam) are at the lowest number compared to the last 5 years in January based on data compiled by the REBGV.

Detached houses in Vancouver aren't moving. Condos and townhouses still are. Multiple offers on good units are still happening.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #9228
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
^^ For the local working class, how can anyone really afford to purchase a single detached house all by themselves? I was playing a mortgage calculator just now, and even with a combined household income of $150k and a $500k down payment, the bank will only lend you $873k for the mortgage. $1.4M can't buy you very much house in Vancouver / Burnaby / Richmond.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #9229
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure no one making a combined 150k are searching for 1.4 million dollar houses without a considerable amount of help, hence why that 500k sweet spot in townhouses in the burbs are selling well.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #9230
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

If you have 500k down and 873k loan that's plenty to get a starter home. There are a number of places selling between 900k - 1.2 mill granted they're going to be a little smaller. For first time buyers that's pretty damn good. I mean most people 25-35 only make enough to buy a Condo as their first place.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #9231
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,103 Times in 5,001 Posts
The fundamental issue with all that is that there's a big difference between someone who is holding money in a few extra properties and if something goes wrong they just say "oh well" and sell it as opposed to people that sign on to 30 years of "I hope I never get sick or lose my job or literally noting in my life ever changes or the market doesn't correct or the dollar doesn't devalue or my wife doesn't get sick or my kids are healthy and free of physical or mental impediments or else I'm FUCKED" situations that all these lucky starter families are in nowadays.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #9232
in the butt

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,171 Posts
House prices may be falling, but entry level condos and townhouses have gone absolutely mad in the past few months.

I have been looking for the past 2 years - Tri cities area / pitt meadows

two years ago you could get a townhouse in tri city for 280-340k, 240-300 in pitt
last year they went up to 330-400k in tri city, 280-340k in pitt
and in the past few months... my god.... nothing under 700k in pomo, 500k in coq/poco, 400k in pitt

and im talking entry level townhouses here.
saving up an extra 30k over a year to "get a better downpayment" did me absolutely nothing.

/rant
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #9233
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The fundamental issue with all that is that there's a big difference between someone who is holding money in a few extra properties and if something goes wrong they just say "oh well" and sell it as opposed to people that sign on to 30 years of "I hope I never get sick or lose my job or literally noting in my life ever changes or the market doesn't correct or the dollar doesn't devalue or my wife doesn't get sick or my kids are healthy and free of physical or mental impediments or else I'm FUCKED" situations that all these lucky starter families are in nowadays.
If that's such a big issue, then why buy at all? Why not just rent. If you lose your job or get sick, you're good
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #9234

I had some spare time this afternoon, so I went to a few open houses this afternoon. Had a chat with a couple of realtors.

Detached house - listed at 828K; lots of interest (4-5 families were at the house when I was there). Realtor is expecting a multiple offer situation. Comps last year were around 850K.

Two townhouses - listed at just under a hair under 700K. One was well-staged and already has 2 offers. The other has been on the market for a while and was rented. One comp in the same complex sold last week at 20K over asking (710K vs 688K.)

These properties are in Port Moody. I've also heard recent chatter on Twitter that detached homes in Vancouver are starting to creep up again.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #9235
GS8

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Where can I get $500k to put down towards a house?

At this rate, using the above goal, I should be able to have that downpayment by the time I'm 132 years old.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #9236

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Where can I get $500k to put down towards a house?

At this rate, using the above goal, I should be able to have that downpayment by the time I'm 132 years old.
Well who buys a detached house if they're on their own as a starter home in Metro Vancouver?

People who are buying houses in this market already have equity from other properties.

It wasn't that long ago that condos at Woodwards were 250K. Considering the going rate for any condo downtown is 1000 per square foot, you would have had considerable appreciation on your shoebox 1 bedroom over the last decade.

Husband and wife both had 1 bedroom condos downtown before getting married. They sell and combine their equity to buy a Vancouver special with a basement suite on the East Side. It's a pretty common scenario in Vancouver. It's the leverage that is scary; not whether or not it's beyond the realm of possibility.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #9237
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Well who buys a detached house if they're on their own as a starter home in Metro Vancouver?

People who are buying houses in this market already have equity from other properties.

It wasn't that long ago that condos at Woodwards were 250K. Considering the going rate for any condo downtown is 1000 per square foot, you would have had considerable appreciation on your shoebox 1 bedroom over the last decade.

Husband and wife both had 1 bedroom condos downtown before getting married. They sell and combine their equity to buy a Vancouver special with a basement suite on the East Side. It's a pretty common scenario in Vancouver. It's the leverage that is scary; not whether or not it's beyond the realm of possibility.
thats the normal yes but dont rule out ppl buying house homes in this market as their starter

a few homes i've been looking at just recently sold in Van/BBY....and one was a little narrow house that sold a day after open house @ list price and well above assessed value...
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #9238
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
For fuck's sake, learn to use punctuation.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #9239
GS8

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Quote:

I'll live in a collective assortment of Amazon boxes. Those things are pretty damn tough!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #9240
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Actually, listings in Greater Vancouver (anywhere north of the Fraser to Coquitlam) are at the lowest number compared to the last 5 years in January based on data compiled by the REBGV.

Detached houses in Vancouver aren't moving. Condos and townhouses still are. Multiple offers on good units are still happening.
I think lowest in 5 years is not a tough sell. It's been a sellers market of course sales/listings will be high. The fact the number of listings are even comparable to last year is the point, as sales arnt comparable.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #9241
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,103 Times in 5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
For fuck's sake, learn to use punctuation.
Go fuck yourself. Period.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 AM   #9242
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
I had some spare time this afternoon, so I went to a few open houses this afternoon. Had a chat with a couple of realtors.

Detached house - listed at 828K; lots of interest (4-5 families were at the house when I was there). Realtor is expecting a multiple offer situation. Comps last year were around 850K.
Was the 828K house in Port Moody?
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #9243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I think lowest in 5 years is not a tough sell. It's been a sellers market of course sales/listings will be high. The fact the number of listings are even comparable to last year is the point, as sales arnt comparable.
Less inventory and less sales. We're not seeing higher levels of inventory and lower sales which would be a sign of a bubble. In certain markets, like condos and townhouses in desireble neighbourhoods, whatever is on the market is getting snatched up quickly and above asking. Prices have remained quite sticky for condos and townhomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Was the 828K house in Port Moody?
Yep.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #9244

Everything in Van under 7 figures is basically crap

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:19 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #9245
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
I sold my place in AB, so I am actually in a decent position to buy right now

Problem is that everything in Van under 7 figures is basically shit, and I refuse to get a "873k loan" for a starter home

I'll wait and see what a year with the "stupid money" taps turned off does to the market here
You'll probably see prices going up if anything..
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #9246
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
or else I'm FUCKED" situations that all these lucky starter families are in nowadays.
No worries brah, gofundme will be there for you.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #9247

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
You'll probably see prices going up if anything..
The Vancouver market has never followed housing trends

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #9248
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
The Vancouver market has never followed housing trends, but I have a hard time seeing the prices going up this year

Sales have been down in a big way since last year, and from what I have been observing, things have cooled right off. This is all on the heels of a massive ~30% year over year increase, mostly on paper, an increase that a lot of people are rolling their eyes at.

Foreign Chinese investors are extremely unhappy with the new tax, and it isn't so much about the extra cost as it is a concern that the government will continue to do things to discourage them from buying here. Things like the vacant homes tax is just one example of how they are becoming increasingly aggressive towards speculators.
at the rate stratified units are going detached is looking cheap...a 1000sq ft town house in false creek selling for $1.4M vs a 10 year old house about 10-15mins away for $1.5? keep in mind that the slight uptick in interest rates would have cost the buyer ~$20-30k in mortgageable allowance had they not bought when it was at a low point last year
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #9249
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Banks offer mortgage insurance. If youre young then the premiums wont be expensive.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #9250
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
House prices may be falling, but entry level condos and townhouses have gone absolutely mad in the past few months.

I have been looking for the past 2 years - Tri cities area / pitt meadows

two years ago you could get a townhouse in tri city for 280-340k, 240-300 in pitt
last year they went up to 330-400k in tri city, 280-340k in pitt
and in the past few months... my god.... nothing under 700k in pomo, 500k in coq/poco, 400k in pitt

and im talking entry level townhouses here.
saving up an extra 30k over a year to "get a better downpayment" did me absolutely nothing.

/rant
That's because no one can afford a house unless you have parents help, upgrading form a townhome/apartment to a house or foreign money.

So all the 1st home buyers are getting into the townhome/apartment craze. I am so shock the pre sale apartment I purchase at 298k went up to close to 400k in a few years. I think back now if it was at 400k I will never be able to afford it or even consider buying it in the first place.

Also have you notice now they use the term townhome instead of tonwhouse. I think is because these days townhome are a lot smaller than before so they call it townhome instead. Also back then tonwhouse you still have a small yard to yourself now you will be lucky if you get a balcony.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote