REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #9976
I don't get it

Kinda crazy how a few people who have land assembled and sold out got stuck with 18 month subject removal and by the time the 18 months is up they can't even afford to buy anywhere near the same area anymore as the prices have gone up so much.
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #9977
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Kinda crazy how a few people who have land assembled and sold out got stuck with 18 month subject removal and by the time the 18 months is up they can't even afford to buy anywhere near the same area anymore as the prices have gone up so much.
And the people who purchased all the land just flip the assembly and make a nice profit rather than having to risk the build

400 pages and almost 6 years later, after the first post of worry regarding a "crash" Prices are 50%+ higher in some cases
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #9978
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
People should never agree to sell for an assembly unless there's an official community plan which supports multi family on your block. There's so much speculative assembly happening in Vancouver right now. Yes, the city has said that they want to rezone all arterials, but zoning outside the context of an OCP takes years.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #9979
My homepage has been set to RS

Toronto market is softening with a glut of new supply the last few months.

Issue with Vancouver is that supply is still near record lows, and with so many first time homebuyers in the market trying to buy a place, will Vancouver follow Toronto in the coming months? Do we have a glut of supply coming down the pipeline? Doesn't seem that way...
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #9980
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Do we have a glut of supply coming down the pipeline? Doesn't seem that way...
We could, but that means developers risking profitability, so that won't happen. Theres plenty of land, plenty of opportunity to build but when so few developers own so much of the land, they might as well just keep the supply low to keep demand high.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #9981

Quote:
Toronto market is softening with a glut of new supply the last few months.

Issue with Vancouver is that supply is still near record lows, and with so many first time homebuyers in the market trying to buy a place, will Vancouver follow Toronto in the coming months? Do we have a glut of supply coming down the pipeline? Doesn't seem that way...

Toronto's real estate is slowing down in a similar way that Vancouver slowed down after the implementation of the foreign buyers tax. Toronto also can expand outwards. People are used to long commutes in Toronto (2 hours plus), whereas people here refuse to commute more than an hour each way.

I imagine that once the impact of the Ontario's taxes and rent control is understood, the pace in certain housing types, like condos and semis, and attached homes will pick up again. If people aren't moving to Vancouver, they're moving to Toronto.

There's supply coming, but it seems to be held up in permitting and occupancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
We could, but that means developers risking profitability, so that won't happen. Theres plenty of land, plenty of opportunity to build but when so few developers own so much of the land, they might as well just keep the supply low to keep demand high.
Developers may own land, but most of it is zoned under different uses. As we're seeing down in Chinatown, even when a developer wants to build something on dormant land, it can get held up due to public opposition. People also complained when the River District was sold. People in Vancouver seem to have a lot of time to protest.

Of course, you also get extreme examples of densification at the other end of the spectrum. Burnaby has no problems approving towers in Brentwood, Metrotown, or Edmonds. However, industrial land is being lost and low-income residents are being forced out.

There's actually little virgin Crown, non-ALR land left in Metro Vancouver. Burke Mountain is one area that flew under the radar and is developing fast. Other areas, like the Township of Langley, are rezoning and building as fast as they can.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #9982
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Wait til they decide where the road from Walmart to David is going to go. East PoCo has a ways to expand.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #9983
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
There really isn't a lot of land to develop locally here. We're surrounded by ocean and mountains. People keep holding out hope that local RE will magically become more affordable. I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't see it happening myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #9984
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
There really isn't a lot of land to develop locally here. We're surrounded by ocean and mountains. People keep holding out hope that local RE will magically become more affordable. I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't see it happening myself.
This argument's been used in San Francisco,a finance and tech hub with similar land "constraints" and real estate got squashed there during 2001-2003 and 2008-2010.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #9985

And I'm sure it's all worth more than ever since then.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #9986
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

You ain't see nothing yet Vancouver! One bedroom condo for 1 million dollars soon!!!

HURRY APP AND BUYY!!!!

zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #9987
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Taken from a Reddit post from today

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...d_quite_a_bit/

Quote:
Before, you would enter, get greeted and there would be food and drinks served while you look around the displays and the showrooms.

But now, I was at the new pre-sale presentation for Joyce (to be built on top of Joyce Station). They have no food or drinks. They have no showrooms so you don't have a single clue as to what you are getting. The best part is that when asked why they didn't have any showrooms, they say they are so confident that they will sell out, there is no point in even having showrooms or anything. Just a brochure of what to expect.

Here is what is expected:

1 Bedroom: 437 Sq Ft. $500k Starting

No parking included for all units. Parking is $50k extra and only 2 bedrooms and above will qualify. 2 bedrooms are 731 sq ft (somewhere there?) and starting at 800k.
FYI - Westbank is the developer

http://joyce.westbankcorp.com/
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #9988
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

And idiots will line up like ants because of the hype and still buy
Old 06-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #9989
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
For those of you who live in a condo or used to live in one in Maple Ridge or Langley are there any buildings you would stay away from? At times I don't even have the ability to go over the strata documents to see what's been fixed up and what's needing to be fixed in the near future. Some of the listings I get sent to me are sold within days and I'm sometimes only able to see them on a weekend and I miss out on it. I don't want to live in a place that's going to be a money pit so is there any buildings you know of that are well worth keeping an eye on? I'd like to keep a little list to myself so I don't bother wasting my time going to a viewing that I won't be serious about.

Last edited by stewie; 06-14-2017 at 06:13 AM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #9990
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Taken from a Reddit post from today

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...d_quite_a_bit/

FYI - Westbank is the developer

JOYCE
who the hell wants to live above a skytrain station?

I can tell you the one in new west can feel vibrations everytime a train enters the platform

nevermind looked at the rendering, it's built next to the station
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #9991

Can you blame developers for their pricing when the market for used homes is still crazy?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #9992
My homepage has been set to RS

Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a decently priced real estate lawyer?

Might be purchasing a presale this week (not Joyce), and I feel it would beneficial for a real estate lawyer to look over the contract.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #9993
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/st...26090555899905

Can you blame developers for their pricing when the market for used homes is still crazy?
125k over asking for a condo
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #9994
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
That sounds like it was priced as a bidding war special. I'm sure it sold for more than it's worth, but not 125k more than it's worth.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #9995
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a decently priced real estate lawyer?

Might be purchasing a presale this week (not Joyce), and I feel it would beneficial for a real estate lawyer to look over the contract.
just post it here and let Revscene's finest pick it apart!

if you can't find a lawyer, i think an experienced agent on your side should be able to do a review of the contract to provide a decent level of comfort. that is, after all, part of their job.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
125k over asking for a condo
A buddies 1br loft in TO sold for 135k over asking a few months back, the realtor they had was somewhat inexperienced but even she had thought MAYBE 50-70 over based on the market at the time, ended up showing like 55 groups and having 12 offers by the second weekend. Stupid.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #9997
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
That sounds like it was priced as a bidding war special. I'm sure it sold for more than it's worth, but not 125k more than it's worth.
Asking price means nothing. Comps are all that matters. Even then, 20-30k+ over comps can mean a lot of things - layout, location, condition, reno's, market, etc.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #9998
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
A buddies 1br loft in TO sold for 135k over asking a few months back, the realtor they had was somewhat inexperienced but even she had thought MAYBE 50-70 over based on the market at the time, ended up showing like 55 groups and having 12 offers by the second weekend. Stupid.
I can see it with lofts, because they're more unique and there usually isn't a huge supply of them.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #9999
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Toronto's market seems premature compared to Vancouver. Even the agents aren't familiar with the multiple offer situations and dealing with china buyers..

Tough to find good value opportunities in Vancouver. Just about to finalize the purchase of another investment condo in Toronto downtown.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #10000
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/st...26090555899905

this guy is such a noob you can tell by the way he talks about the markets. Even as a realtor you should know its about the comps not about the asking price. If it goes that much over ask, you know its priced well below market. He also goes by charts and graphs which are one thing but as a realtor, you should also factor in the demand and foot traffic in open houses too. Man i would hate to be one of his clients..
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: