REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #10001
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
this guy is such a noob you can tell by the way he talks about the markets. Even as a realtor you should know its about the comps not about the asking price. If it goes that much over ask, you know its priced well below market. He also goes by charts and graphs which are one thing but as a realtor, you should also factor in the demand and foot traffic in open houses too. Man i would hate to be one of his clients..
Rumour has it that he's never actually sold a property.

He gets a lot of press because he's someone who's willing to feed into bubble narrative. He probably gets a lot of hits on his blog, but do they pay the bills? Eventually he's got to eat and keep his realtor license.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #10002
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Rumour has it that he's never actually sold a property.

He gets a lot of press because he's someone who's willing to feed into bubble narrative. He probably gets a lot of hits on his blog, but do they pay the bills? Eventually he's got to eat and keep his realtor license.
Really? would make sense...ive wondered myself before if he's actually a realtor because ive never seen a listing from him..then i saw one and saw the price...figured no way he'd sell that.....

gotta give it to him he puts his face out there but man...he says hes got no directive in his clips and press but you can tell by the tone and angle he takes...feel bad for his followers listening to him...
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #10003
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

He's marketing to the masses and those that follow headlines. 95% of the mass would probably do well to read a few pages of this thread, but such is #VanRE
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #10004
I don't get it

Anyone here familiar with Commercial real estate?
We all know that no subject offers are the way to go with residential.
Is this the same with commercial? Have a perspective buyer that wants to deposit in 90 days but complete in 2 years.... I know I wont be able to buy back into the same area in 2 years for that amount....
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #10005
G
Banned (BBM)

^What question do you have?

I work as a Commercial ICI Appraiser. No subject offers are getting popular amongst investors that want to purchase holding properties for future redevelopments...
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #10006
I don't get it

I have a care home builder group interested in my property (zoning allows this) but they are from out east and probally dont realize that 2 year closure dates dont fly in vancouver.

Would you say half your commercial properties are no subject? Or less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
^What question do you have?

I work as a Commercial ICI Appraiser. No subject offers are getting popular amongst investors that want to purchase holding properties for future redevelopments...
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #10007
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
I have a care home builder group interested in my property (zoning allows this) but they are from out east and probally dont realize that 2 year closure dates dont fly in vancouver.

Would you say half your commercial properties are no subject? Or less?
Depends on what type of property and where tbh

I still see lots of subjects in lots of contracts.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #10008

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/How-the-re...hey-really-are

An interesting article about the struggles of the cash rich and house poor in BC. There are some interesting tables about where the high-income, asset, and pension rich are in the province also.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #10009
My homepage has been set to RS

That article definitely hits home for my fiancee and I. Ton's of liquid cash and investments, but no real estate appreciating at 25% year-over-year....
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #10010
Need to Seek Professional Help

Sorry but the couples in this article have no right to complain.
They have household incomes into the 100k's and cash savings multiple times their income. Their furnishings are so modest that they could liquidate their entire household for 10k (meaning they spent 20-30k easy). They would have to liquidate a huge amount of their investment savings to purchase a house.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The sense of entitlement is mind blowing.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #10011

I wonder what was on the mind of the one couple who sold their condo and now rent? If they wanted to keep skin in the game, they should have traded up or converted that condo into a rental. Diversification includes real estate.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #10012
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I wonder what was on the mind of the one couple who sold their condo and now rent? If they wanted to keep skin in the game, they should have traded up or converted that condo into a rental. Diversification includes real estate.
At the time I'm sure they thought they were getting out at the peak, all the doomsayers have been saying the bottom is going to fall out and the market is going to crash for the last 10+ years. It still may but damm would it suck if you took that advice and liquidated years ago waiting to snap up some cheap property once it happened.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #10013
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Nice article. I didn't detect entitlement, I think it's just natural frustration from people that earn decent money and still can't afford to buy anything.

My parents are still in the same house they bought in the 90s. They are definitely house-rich, cash poor. They will make multiples more selling their house than all the RRSPs they've tried to save up over the last 30+ years.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #10014
RS controls my life!

Great article - I think anyone in their late 20-30's can easily relate as house/condo prices in Vancouver is very high given local incomes.

Those that got detached 3-4 years ago are up $500K and basically more than your RRSP saver's growth. While there isn't entitlement per se, the investment analysis certainly feels a bit jaded average Joe who lucked out on presales/house purchases is beating his 10%+ avg return on S&P and Index funds.

Presales continue the barrage - Clark/Como sold out at nearly $800/ft for Burquitlam.

Onni has a new deal in Port Moody and it should do well. $750/ft starting - The Grande.
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #10015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post

Presales continue the barrage - Clark/Como sold out at nearly $800/ft for Burquitlam.

Onni has a new deal in Port Moody and it should do well. $750/ft starting - The Grande.
But, it's Onni (I kid, I kid).

That's a decent price for arguably a better community than Burquitlam. Burquitlam is full of Middle Eastern refugees, while Suterbrook is full of strollers and dads with beards.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #10016
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Quote:
https://www.bcbusiness.ca/How-the-re...hey-really-are

An interesting article about the struggles of the cash rich and house poor in BC. There are some interesting tables about where the high-income, asset, and pension rich are in the province also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
That article definitely hits home for my fiancee and I. Ton's of liquid cash and investments, but no real estate appreciating at 25% year-over-year....
What happened to the virtues of 'rent and invest the difference' that's been harped over and over again in this thread with links to Garth Turner (full disclosure: I was one of them)? Aren't these people in an 'ideal' situation while sucker homeowners (full disclosure: I am now one of them) have their cash locked away in real estate with these imaginary 'unrealized gains' from the market?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #10017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
What happened to the virtues of 'rent and invest the difference' that's been harped over and over again in this thread with links to Garth Turner (full disclosure: I was one of them)? Aren't these people in an 'ideal' situation while sucker homeowners (full disclosure: I am now one of them) have their cash locked away in real estate with these imaginary 'unrealized gains' from the market?
They shacked up with a woman and had kids.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #10018

Quote:
They shacked up with a woman and had kids.

Ain't that the truth (full disclosure: that is what happened to me.)
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #10019
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Aren't these people in an 'ideal' situation while sucker homeowners (full disclosure: I am now one of them) have their cash locked away in real estate with these imaginary 'unrealized gains' from the market?
i guess the argument here would be that in today's market, housing is almost considered a liquid asset (if said sucker homeowners ever decide to cash out with potentially bigger gains vs john smith's RRSP). so if someone has bought into the market in the last 2-3 years, the option of walking away with 30-50% gains on a whim has some value to it imo.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #10020
RS controls my life!

Similar article covering both Toronto & Vancouver.
Praying for a real estate crash - Macleans.ca

Like it or not, people will compare themselves against their friends and peers. Keeping up with Joneses is more prevalent and more pervasive now especially with IG, FB, various social media platforms.
However, if it all crashes, where do you think government is going to keep getting tax dollars they're so used to with inflated property prices? All the higher construction and R/E related gigs (notaries, lawyers, appraisers, Red Seal trades) all drops a notch too. Scary thought but it's a self propagating sector propped up by continually low credit and low supply.

Full disclosure: Own property (sucker too and likely trading up). In the R/E as an insider if you call it that (licensed and invests)
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #10021
I don't get it

this is insane... $1,628/sqft @ Joyce

http://i.imgur.com/nbsX9vS.jpg
ssjGoku69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #10022
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
this is insane... $1,628/sqft @ Joyce

http://i.imgur.com/nbsX9vS.jpg
Do you know if they started presale yet?
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #10023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i guess the argument here would be that in today's market, housing is almost considered a liquid asset (if said sucker homeowners ever decide to cash out with potentially bigger gains vs john smith's RRSP). so if someone has bought into the market in the last 2-3 years, the option of walking away with 30-50% gains on a whim has some value to it imo.
Hmm about the same timeline that 4444 went silent in this thread?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #10024
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
At the time I'm sure they thought they were getting out at the peak, all the doomsayers have been saying the bottom is going to fall out and the market is going to crash for the last 10+ years. It still may but damm would it suck if you took that advice and liquidated years ago waiting to snap up some cheap property once it happened.
Know a few families who thought they were predicting the end of the world and sold 4/5 years ago. Now those people are honestly fucked for retirement and lost out on over 400,000k+ of liquidity they could have had.

Sold their places around 640k, have been renting for $2000+ a month in wayyyy shittier areas and the house they rent now is worth 1mill+ and their old house is 1.2-1.3

No matter what your financial situation is in these cases, imo you fucked up royally and it's altered your well being and life going forward.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #10025
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Know a few families who thought they were predicting the end of the world and sold 4/5 years ago. Now those people are honestly fucked for retirement and lost out on over 400,000k+ of liquidity they could have had.

Sold their places around 640k, have been renting for $2000+ a month in wayyyy shittier areas and the house they rent now is worth 1mill+ and their old house is 1.2-1.3

No matter what your financial situation is in these cases, imo you fucked up royally and it's altered your well being and life going forward.
Yeah my parents sold there house in Surrey for 745K 5 years ago, probably worth 1.3+ today. The house they built in Sask isn't even worth what they have in it, I haven't told tell them because they'll be pissed.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote