REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #10551
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol it's such a flawed analysis looking at previous decades data and only looking at the detached housing market

yeah, let's ignore the global market, the current social environment, the current policies in place, the population trends and just focus on an isolated pattern based solely on detached housing

any tom, dick and harry can claim repeating patterns if you manipulate data well enough

Greater Vancouver Home Prices to increase by 21% by 2019 is a more probable scenario
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #10552
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
My personal take away: sell now so that I can earn your commission today.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #10553
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
REGBV released some September sales stats:

- Benchmark apartment price is now $635,800
- Benchmark townhouse price is now $786,600
- Benchmark detached price is now $1,617,300

The appreciation in apartments has been remarkable. Basically all areas covered by the REBGV have gone up over 20% over last year. Coquitlam has seen an increase of over 30%.

The gap between apartments and detached is still quite large. However, at some point, detached is going to take off again if apartment price appreciation continues.

REGBV covers all areas north of the Fraser, Richmond, Ladner, Tsawwassen, and Squamish.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #10554
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Richmond is still moving quick, went to place an offer for a place at asking price (I know! Who pays asking price nowadays?) and the listing got taken down. Relisted again for 300k higher in the next days
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #10555
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

My Realty Check

If you click around, there are already reductions of 10%+. Click around enough and you'll find some that are already over 20% reduced.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #10556
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

When will apartments hit $2 million and detached hitting $5 million bros?? I'm waiting... can u guys buy faster please

Last edited by zyzzjr; 10-05-2017 at 03:44 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #10557

There are definitely some reductions happening. There's a couple of units in my neighborhood that have been on the market for more than 40 days. They have had price reductions of about 20-30K. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I live in the neighbourhood myself, but considering the prices (540-560k) and what you get for that price in this market (1000+ square feet with attached garage in one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Metro Vancouver), they're decent deals. I guess millennials really don't like driving or taking the bus to work? Or is there just as much speculation from locals as there is from the much ballyhooed foreign investor?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #10558
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
There are definitely some reductions happening. There's a couple of units in my neighborhood that have been on the market for more than 40 days. They have had price reductions of about 20-30K. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I live in the neighbourhood myself, but considering the prices (540-560k) and what you get for that price in this market (1000+ square feet with attached garage in one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Metro Vancouver), they're decent deals. I guess millennials really don't like driving or taking the bus to work? Or is there just as much speculation from locals as there is from the much ballyhooed foreign investor?
I never really bought into the idea of foreign investors driving up prices. Prices have been rising with falling interest rates. Everything the government has done to reduce foreign buyers hasn't done jack to the prices. It's only caused a reduction in sales while the locals wait and see if the regulations do anything.

What will be interesting is when the new universal stress test takes affect. Everyone will have to pass a 2% stress test. You can't get around it with a gift from your parents anymore. The previous one only applied if you need CMHC insurance. That saw a spike of uninsured mortgages because parents were giving kids money to bypass the stress test. This will dramatically reduce borrowing power.

Might stall the market, might not. Add to that a full 1% rate increase by the end of next year, people can only borrow what a 6% stress test allows them to.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #10559
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I never really bought into the idea of foreign investors driving up prices. Prices have been rising with falling interest rates. Everything the government has done to reduce foreign buyers hasn't done jack to the prices. It's only caused a reduction in sales while the locals wait and see if the regulations do anything.
The term "foreign investor" is not an accurate description because a ton of loaded immigrants would fly under that radar.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #10560
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
There are definitely some reductions happening. There's a couple of units in my neighborhood that have been on the market for more than 40 days. They have had price reductions of about 20-30K. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I live in the neighbourhood myself, but considering the prices (540-560k) and what you get for that price in this market (1000+ square feet with attached garage in one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Metro Vancouver), they're decent deals
Which neighbourhood?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #10561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Which neighbourhood?
This is one example in my area:

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22079...-port-moody-bc

It was originally listed for 579K. The listing was removed after about 30 days and relisted at the current price, so in total, it's been on the market for about 45 days.

It's not glamourous by any means, but it has good square footage and an attached garage, plus parking pad. To me, it's a good place for DINKs who have a hobby car, or outdoor sports equipment like kayaks. It's either something like this, or an older 2-bedroom wood frame condo by Coquitlam Centre in this price range. I might be biased, but I would take the stacked townhouse unit with no elevators, lower strata fees, in a less dense neighbourhood.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #10562
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Here's some stats from Australia which is having the same housing affordable issues that we are dealing with...

Full article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-buy-a-home
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #10563
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The term "foreign investor" is not an accurate description because a ton of loaded immigrants would fly under that radar.
Or you could simply send your kids to study here for a few years and when they get their citizenship card just buy buy buy!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #10564
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
My Realty Check

If you click around, there are already reductions of 10%+. Click around enough and you'll find some that are already over 20% reduced.
Take that website with a grain of salt, heres the place I was looking at.

3331 Williams Road, Richmond

Sep 5:$1,988,000
Oct 2: $1,650,000
Change: - 338000.00 -17%

Heres a cached version of the relators page, showing $1.4m with a open house on sept 17 (3331 Williams Road, Richmond - 5 beds, 2 baths - For Sale Ron Basra, Vancouver Burnaby)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #10565
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post

Heres a cached version of the relators page, showing $1.4m with a open house on sept 17 (3331 Williams Road, Richmond - 5 beds, 2 baths - For Sale Ron Basra, Vancouver Burnaby)
That place is assessed at 1.35M....I don't follow Richmond but they were originally asking 50% above last years assessed value seems like a disconnect from reality to me..

if they have dropped prices..the above example is a prime reason why...they were asking for the moon originally
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #10566
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Assessed prices are a year behind the market. Everything was selling way over assessed last year.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #10567
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post

That kitchen looks so damn tacky. 5 bed 2 bath!!! I can imagine a family of 5 fighting for 2 bath. I've been there before. Also would it have killed them to clean up the rooms and hide their clothes prior to taking pictures
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #10568

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Assessed prices are a year behind the market. Everything was selling way over assessed last year.
so you're telling me based on what they were asking..assuming it was fair and reasonable at the time....prices have popped 50% since July 2016 to October 2017??
Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #10569
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
so you're telling me based on what they were asking..assuming it was fair and reasonable at the time....prices have popped 50% since July 2016 to October 2017??
Honestly I didn't look at the numbers closely while shopping at No frills. ha.

Yes, they are being a bit hopeful. Over the last few years 25% over assessed almost seemed like the norm. People actually asking assessed values now shows a stabilization of the market. Thank god.

Prices have not popped. The fact of the matter is, detached houses are not selling for 25% more every year since implemented foreign buyers tax. The price did not pop. The assessed value caught up to the staggered actual value of the house.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 10-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #10570

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Honestly I didn't look at the numbers closely while shopping at No frills. ha.

Yes, they are being a bit hopeful. Over the last few years 25% over assessed almost seemed like the norm. People actually asking assessed values now shows a stabilization of the market. Thank god.

Prices have not popped. The fact of the matter is, detached houses are not selling for 25% more every year since implemented foreign buyers tax. The price did not pop. The assessed value caught up to the staggered actual value of the house.
Yes exactly...but sellers do not acknowledge this hence why they have dropped their prices.....and some have dropped quite a bit...its mostly because they were asking the moon to begin with
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #10571
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
That kitchen looks so damn tacky. 5 bed 2 bath!!! I can imagine a family of 5 fighting for 2 bath. I've been there before. Also would it have killed them to clean up the rooms and hide their clothes prior to taking pictures
Haha I often walk along the area of the Richmond, it wouldve been a tear down for sure. But over the last year, I've counted 6 houses being torn down, built into mega mansions, and sold a week later after FS sign was up. Big lots are still in demand for builders it seems
Old 10-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #10572
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Would like some feedback. Looking at some places in North Vancouver (Lynn Valley)/Burquitlam area, price variance for what I am looking for one bed/den varying from $70k-$150k estimate difference for similar size if I bought in Vancouver itself.

I work in Vancouver/Burnaby and currently live in Vancouver and the commute is already crazy enough. If I bought in Vancouver, essentially paying the premium for the convenience. Some say, avoid traveling over a bridge if I can due to time spent traveling/stress etc. Trying to determine if a longer commute is worth the savings.

Also don't have much knowledge of Lynn Valley area or Burquitlam area, what's the area like? E.g. Quiet? Sketch? Growing?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #10573
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Would like some feedback. Looking at some places in North Vancouver (Lynn Valley)/Burquitlam area, price variance for what I am looking for one bed/den varying from $70k-$150k estimate difference for similar size if I bought in Vancouver itself.

I work in Vancouver/Burnaby and currently live in Vancouver and the commute is already crazy enough. If I bought in Vancouver, essentially paying the premium for the convenience. Some say, avoid traveling over a bridge if I can due to time spent traveling/stress etc. Trying to determine if a longer commute is worth the savings.

Also don't have much knowledge of Lynn Valley area or Burquitlam area, what's the area like? E.g. Quiet? Sketch? Growing?
Lynn Valley is nice and pretty high income/families living there. Lots of old people but not much going on but if you like the outdoors it's amazing.

Traffic to the north shore is shit every day both ways. Expect to spend 45-60 min a day commuting each way depending on where you work. Also, transit there blows and there's nothing around so... everyone drives
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #10574
My homepage has been set to RS

I don't recommend living on the North Shore unless you work on the North Shore or downtown and you can take the Seabus.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #10575
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Lynn Valley is nice and pretty high income/families living there. Lots of old people but not much going on but if you like the outdoors it's amazing.

Traffic to the north shore is shit every day both ways. Expect to spend 45-60 min a day commuting each way depending on where you work. Also, transit there blows and there's nothing around so... everyone drives
I currently work at Metrotown area, typical 9-5 job. I feel traffic terrible everywhere no matter where...

Speaking of traffic, reminds me of my friend last night, works in Richmond and took him over an hour to get to my house and I live in South Vancouver (2 mins from Knight Bridge).
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: