REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #10301
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
It's gonna end up like oakridge, build on top of the mall . Ivanhoe is sitting on prime land, they wont be giving it up.

burnaby councillors are NDPers on crack
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #10302
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I think one of the most frustrating things here is how many resources we use up, and the waste we cause building things here just to tear them down for the sake of rebuilding. Its so wasteful.
The most frustrating thing here is Mrhappyslip's verb conjugation, and poor use of English.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #10303
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
It will get broken into city blocks with apartments on top and small shops on the button. Still not sure how they will do that with some of the larger shops (Cinplex, Superstore T&T).
I see it more like Marine Gateway but several magnitudes larger; they have a Cineplex and a T&T with enough parking to suit, all on a relatively small foot print.

We also have to face that the generation of kids right now aren't as car obsessed/reliant as my generation (born up to mid 80's) was.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #10304
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I see it more like Marine Gateway but several magnitudes larger; they have a Cineplex and a T&T with enough parking to suit, all on a relatively small foot print.

We also have to face that the generation of kids right now aren't as car obsessed/reliant as my generation (born up to mid 80's) was.
And then you'd have to ask yourself -- has anyone not living close by Marine Gateway ever set foot at Marine Gateway just to stroll around and check things out? I sure as heck have never set foot there just because, but I have been to Metrotown on countless occassions for no good reason other than just go there for a stroll, and many a times, I find myself spending a bit of money while I'm there for whatever.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #10305
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
^Marine Gateway? Just once, and then I found out they charge for parking.

At a mall.

WTF.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #10306
linguistic ninja

oh and LOL if you think this Metrotown demolition will be seen through with it's ridiculous 40 year timeline

As if anyone planning this will still be employed there/alive. Not to mention economic cycles. It seems like everyone is on crack here thinking we're just going to go from Condo boom to condo boom for the next 100 years.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #10307
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
^Marine Gateway? Just once, and then I found out they charge for parking.

At a mall.

WTF.
As soon as I found out it was paid parking. I never go there again. Why should I pay for parking when I am already going to spending there (beside there is nothing in Marine Gateway worth going. T&T and Cinplex only and both have other locations with "free parking").

Quote:
oh and LOL if you think this Metrotown demolition will be seen through with it's ridiculous 40 year timeline

As if anyone planning this will still be employed there/alive. Not to mention economic cycles. It seems like everyone is on crack here thinking we're just going to go from Condo boom to condo boom for the next 100 years.
Is all supply and demand. As long as there are more people moving to Vancouver housing will always be expensive.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #10308
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

They do it in phases exactly the same way there doing Brentwood Mall. The mall is still open and there building a new mall and a bunch of towers around it. Once that's done they'll start taking out parts of the mall and building more mall and more towers.

It doesn't happen overnight but a 10 or even 15 year timeline is more realistic then 40. I think the first phase at Brentwood was 3 years? I can't remember exactly it's been a while since I bid it but it hasn't been much longer than that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #10309
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Look at it from Ivanhoe's perspective. Traditional brick and mortar's suffering a slow death. Foot traffic's down and there's only a handful of players that could justify the rent. The retail space for what use to be Target, is now a furniture store; I've never stepped foot in it and don't expect to. How long do you expect them to stick around? Were they really on top of their list to occupy that space? One day when Sears shuts down, who's going to take up that space?

The supermall concept's been working up until the last decade. It certainly doesn't look viable long term in today's world. If anything, this plan is a way for Ivanhoe to deleverage their portfolio. And you'll likely see most places follow similar models.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #10310
linguistic ninja

What they need to do is get Amazon to build a massive warehouse/fulfillment centre in place of Metrotown, so we can get all our stuff within 10 minutes of ordering it.

The way of the future, folks.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #10311
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So like east of renfrew between Hastings and first?

If so yea definitely seems more Asian in that pocket from going to different open houses etc over the last few years there
Correct, that's the pocket.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #10312
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
And then you'd have to ask yourself -- has anyone not living close by Marine Gateway ever set foot at Marine Gateway just to stroll around and check things out? I sure as heck have never set foot there just because, but I have been to Metrotown on countless occassions for no good reason other than just go there for a stroll, and many a times, I find myself spending a bit of money while I'm there for whatever.
The idea with Marine Gateway, and other future developments, really is to service those in the immediate area; quite similar to many other major international cities, especially those with expensive real estate pricing. Marine Gateway doesn't really care that you're not coming from Burnaby to check things out and spend $5. The landscape of the city is changing quite rapidly, and I'm afraid we won't be going back to how things were when we were growing up. In 10 years, destination retail centers probably won't exist as we know them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Traditional brick and mortar's suffering a slow death. Foot traffic's down and there's only a handful of players that could justify the rent. The retail space for what use to be Target, is now a furniture store; I've never stepped foot in it and don't expect to. How long do you expect them to stick around? Were they really on top of their list to occupy that space? One day when Sears shuts down, who's going to take up that space?

The supermall concept's been working up until the last decade. It certainly doesn't look viable long term in today's world.
This. People want the cheapest, people are lazy. The advent of online shopping allows retailers to get to both of these, and on the cheap too. And the kids today growing up with online shopping will be your mass consumers of the next 50 years, so things will be tailored to their preferences. But when grocery stores are offering online shopping for produce, its a pretty clear indication of where things are headed.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #10313

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Look at it from Ivanhoe's perspective. Traditional brick and mortar's suffering a slow death. Foot traffic's down and there's only a handful of players that could justify the rent. The retail space for what use to be Target, is now a furniture store; I've never stepped foot in it and don't expect to. How long do you expect them to stick around? Were they really on top of their list to occupy that space? One day when Sears shuts down, who's going to take up that space?

The supermall concept's been working up until the last decade. It certainly doesn't look viable long term in today's world. If anything, this plan is a way for Ivanhoe to deleverage their portfolio. And you'll likely see most places follow similar models.
Retail is definitely becoming fractured, mirroring the widening income gap. High end retailers are setting records in sales each year, while Dollarama and Walmart are killing the low end. The only retailer left for the middle class is Costco.

Malls owned by Cadillac Fairview are doing quite well, but they have high end tenants such as Holt Renfrew and Nordstrom. Ivanhoe Cambridge is more mid tier, while Rio Can is starting to suffer.

It's all about the stores as opposed to the space created by a mall. Park Royal's outdoor village seems to be doing well. They have a good mix of stores and parking is sufficient. This is what Ivanhoe Cambridge should model the redevelopment of Metrotown on.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #10314
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
High end retailers will suffer when cheap money and hot RE market party is over.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #10315
I am Hook'd on RS

the market will never go down only stabilize. The sooner you buy the better off you will be.
M3E46Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #10316
I STILL don't get it

How long do you think it (low cost of borrowing+hot RE market) will last? Many people I talk to seem convinced that as long as the population increase keeps momentum (50k per annum I believe is the figure) that the RE market will continue as it has been for the past 7-10 years, irrespective of interest rate hikes to come.

Last edited by R. Mutt; 08-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #10317
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^ Fire & Fury
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #10318
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Get 2 jobs...take your parents equity and get in.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #10319
I STILL don't get it

We recently made our first purchase at Wall Centre Central Park (Kingsway & Boundary). Compromised a little on distance to work so we could buy new. Everything we saw around Mt. Pleasant was old and beaten to shit. Not much new and whatever did pop up that was in the 2-6 year range resulted in a crazy bidding war with one place ending at just over $1000/sq ft and 120k over asking.

My question was out of curiosity to hear what other people think who've been living here longer and have seen the market evolve over the past 20 or 30 years.

Last edited by R. Mutt; 08-10-2017 at 04:09 PM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #10320
Need to Seek Professional Help

Long term, as long as demand is greater than supply prices will raise.
This doesnt mean that prices wont or cannot go down in the future. Whar happens in the next 5 or 10 years or 20 years? Best anyone can do is an educated guess.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #10321
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
This. People want the cheapest, people are lazy. The advent of online shopping allows retailers to get to both of these, and on the cheap too. And the kids today growing up with online shopping will be your mass consumers of the next 50 years, so things will be tailored to their preferences. But when grocery stores are offering online shopping for produce, its a pretty clear indication of where things are headed.
I honestly think online grocery shopping is just about the stupidest possible online shopping idea in existence. Do people not give a damn about the quality / condition of the produce they purchase? If I can't personally inspect the produce before I buy, I'm not gonna buy them. And if the stuff doesn't look fresh, I am not going to buy them either.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #10322
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I honestly think online grocery shopping is just about the stupidest possible online shopping idea in existence. Do people not give a damn about the quality / condition of the produce they purchase? If I can't personally inspect the produce before I buy, I'm not gonna buy them. And if the stuff doesn't look fresh, I am not going to buy them either.
LOL this. For cheap stuff I don't really mind buying online but produce is I have to see it and feel it first.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #10323
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Obviously you've never tried it. Save-on wouldn't give you rotting produce because their reputation is on the line; it's not some dodgy asian produce trying to cut corners for profit. They want you to develop a habit to keep using them again and again.

$5.00 delivery charge, which is nothing considering your time and gas to drive there and back. And they deliver based on your selected time slot of your choosing (such as early morning or late evening).
"stick car is funer then any auto but i will only take cl55amg, sl55amg, slk55amg, clk55amg, sl60amg if auto. why people drive auto becuz it is they can't drive the 6speed gear. auto is too slow of car means the seconds higher with the manual 1/4, 1/8
only fast auto is AMG ever. "
LancerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #10324
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
We recently made our first purchase at Wall Centre Central Park (Kingsway & Boundary). Compromised a little on distance to work so we could buy new. Everything we saw around Mt. Pleasant was old and beaten to shit. Not much new and whatever did pop up that was in the 2-6 year range resulted in a crazy bidding war with one place ending at just over $1000/sq ft and 120k over asking.

My question was out of curiosity to hear what other people think who've been living here longer and have seen the market evolve over the past 20 or 30 years.
Mind me asking what you got and paid?

Looking in the area too. Cheer
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #10325

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt

Raised in East Van. My dad bought his first house in 1979 - a bungalow deep in East Van on a busy street for about 80K. Sold it in 1985 and upgraded to a brand new Vancouver special with full basement suite which cost 155K. That house is now worth over 1.5 million.

Now, there was a dip in the market in the mid 80s because of high interest rates. But the market started to recover in the late 1980s and to my recollection, it didn't really slump until about 2008. During the 1990s, demand for houses was pretty healthy due to immigration from Hong Kong. It's just that there was more supply because there were still undeveloped areas of Metro Vancouver that had room for detached houses such as Westwood Plateau, Terra Nova, and areas of Surrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Long term, as long as demand is greater than supply prices will raise.
This doesnt mean that prices wont or cannot go down in the future. Whar happens in the next 5 or 10 years or 20 years? Best anyone can do is an educated guess.
In most markets, real estate tracks inflation in the long term. The only way Vancouver goes down in the long term is if it becomes undesirable. Given things like climate change and decreasing political stability, there are far worse places in the world than Canada and Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerBoy View Post
Obviously you've never tried it. Save-on wouldn't give you rotting produce because their reputation is on the line; it's not some dodgy asian produce trying to cut corners for profit. They want you to develop a habit to keep using them again and again.

$5.00 delivery charge, which is nothing considering your time and gas to drive there and back. And they deliver based on your selected time slot of your choosing (such as early morning or late evening).
We started ordering groceries from Spud recently. I was very skeptical at first (since I'm cheap and Chinese), but because we're juggling two young kids right now, my wife wanted to give them a try. They're not cheap, but the produce that has been picked for us has been very high quality. Too many people here are used to B-grade produce from run down ethnic grocers.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: