REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #10326
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
^ confused by the logic. Juggling 2 kids is good reason to take a little bit of time out of your day to shop for yourself and save money if you ask me..
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #10327
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I honestly think online grocery shopping is just about the stupidest possible online shopping idea in existence. Do people not give a damn about the quality / condition of the produce they purchase? If I can't personally inspect the produce before I buy, I'm not gonna buy them. And if the stuff doesn't look fresh, I am not going to buy them either.
If everyone had quality control like Costco I'd never leave the house.

We ordered fresh flowers from Costco, multiple bouquets and various additional bunches of flowers, $400 worth

Ordered over a month ago, arrived today at exactly when they were expected, nicer than -anywhere- locally. The quality was honestly astounding from bouquets and flowers delivered in a box to your door.

I think eventually people will get left behind in the door to door grocery delivery and the cream of the crop will prevail.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #10328
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
^ confused by the logic. Juggling 2 kids is good reason to take a little bit of time out of your day to shop for yourself and save money if you ask me..
Does your wife have 2 kids under the age of 2 at home, including a fussy baby?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #10329
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Does your wife have 2 kids under the age of 2 at home, including a fussy baby?
We did 8 years ago, yep. Now we have a 10 y/o, an 8 y/o and a fussy 2 y/o. We make an effort to save when grocery shopping at every opportunity we get. Kids don't get any cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #10330
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
For me at least, especially when I have X number of kids at home, I know I'd definitely want to go out and do the grocery shopping on my own. It'd be like the only time I'd have to myself.

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #10331
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I honestly think online grocery shopping is just about the stupidest possible online shopping idea in existence. Do people not give a damn about the quality / condition of the produce they purchase? If I can't personally inspect the produce before I buy, I'm not gonna buy them. And if the stuff doesn't look fresh, I am not going to buy them either.
Order everything except meat and produce, go to the butcher and the Produce Farm on the way to pick up your groceries. The produce shops are usually cheaper anyway and I'm not looking to buy meat from the Grocery store unless it's Deli meat or prepackaged bacon anyway.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #10332
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerBoy View Post
Obviously you've never tried it. Save-on wouldn't give you rotting produce because their reputation is on the line; it's not some dodgy asian produce trying to cut corners for profit. They want you to develop a habit to keep using them again and again.

$5.00 delivery charge, which is nothing considering your time and gas to drive there and back. And they deliver based on your selected time slot of your choosing (such as early morning or late evening).
I live 5mins away from Superstore/T&T/Pricesmart/Crystal. When I need something I just go after work or weekends mornings. I actually enjoy shopping and usually pick up a few extra thing that's on sale if it looks fresh. Is a nice walk especially on a weekend morning. I still don't get why people who live like 5mins away (like I do) drive to do grocery shopping when walking is way faster and good for exercise.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 AM   #10333
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
I'll take blind home delivery from save on or Spud over superstore/pricesmart products anyday.

Pricemart, no frills, etc. is fucking gross.

We dont have kids but i barely have enough time to make it to costco once a week as is, dont blame people with kids spending a few dollars more to have groceries delivered, it's a burden not a convenience to have to go grocery shopping. Outside of hand picking meat and more unique veggies i need for specific dishes, i wouldnt be opposed to having mine delivered on a weekly basis.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #10334

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I dont use the delivery method but I can see why people use it. Some people don't have that kinda time on there hands to go shopping believe it or not. Heck some people say I'm lazy cause I use a dishwasher. It depends on the person.

Mr.Sliphappy, I used to live 7mins away from superstore and I used to walk there to grocery shop, I did it for the first month and that was it. Carrying 4+ bags of groceries back home every week was pretty tough.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #10335

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
By the time we get our young kids to bed, it's 9:30 PM. Costco is closed which leaves us with Superstore or Save On as our major options. Ethnic grocers or independents like Kins or Donald's are typically closed by this time too. It's not hard to see why a delivery service like Spud can make sense for people like us.

It's not like we're throwing away our money with Spud. We're having lots of avocado toast this summer because Spud has organic avocados all summer for $1 each. Avocado toast on Squirrelly bread FTW.

Anyway back to real estate. Condos seem to be sitting in the market a bit longer these days. Are there still hordes of people at open houses?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #10336
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

My sister in-law use to work at Thriftys and the people that pick the food are told to pick the best produce and meat possible. They do not want any complaints and have to bring the food back. I think it costs $6 or something to have the food delivered from there. We usually order our food online twice a month. If Costco had the same service id never go grocery shopping again.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #10337
My homepage has been set to RS

It's not so much the grocery shopping part that bugs me. It's the line ups at the counter if you go at the wrong time. Anyways I don't see ordering produce online that different that restaurants calling their suppliers to place an order. When I worked in the restaurant industry we would leave voice mails to place orders and they would be delivered the next day. It was rare that we had to return something.

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #10338

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's not like we're throwing away our money with Spud. We're having lots of avocado toast this summer because Spud has organic avocados all summer for $1 each. Avocado toast on Squirrelly bread FTW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hip.jpg (7.4 KB, 0 views)

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #10339
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Mind me asking what you got and paid?

Looking in the area too. Cheer
1bed|1bath|den|parking \ 27th floor corner unit \ 588 sq/ft \ 579k.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #10340
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Those of you calling the de-Asianization of East Van should take a look at this

http://vt.anagraph.io/recensement/languesmaternelles/

(zoom out, head west)

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #10341
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
1bed|1bath|den|parking \ 27th floor corner unit \ 588 sq/ft \ 579k.
how much is your strata fee? Mine is $200 going up to 210 in sept on 500sq ft. My god I look at my friend's friend apartment in the same building 2bed 900sq ft and her strata fee went from $390 to $420.......
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #10342
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Chinois or quinoa.................... what is a chi-noise?

Sweet and sour......... pourquois?

I could never figure out français

Richmond Hill has a lot of green dots in it.................

EDIT: I was wong.......... after zooming in, it's all around Richmond Hill to the east, but not in Richmond Hill itself.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 08-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #10343

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
how much is your strata fee? Mine is $200 going up to 210 in sept on 500sq ft. My god I look at my friend's friend apartment in the same building 2bed 900sq ft and her strata fee went from $390 to $420.......
Whew, that $10-$30 is going to be CRAZY. How will you survive?!

Ours is like $230(?) for 640sq/ft. I know people in Edmonton paying $500+ for 1 bedrooms, and $700+ for two bedrooms in sub 10 year old buildings. Now thats a fucking nightmare.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #10344

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Whew, that $10-$30 is going to be CRAZY. How will you survive?!

Ours is like $230(?) for 640sq/ft. I know people in Edmonton paying $500+ for 1 bedrooms, and $700+ for two bedrooms in sub 10 year old buildings. Now thats a fucking nightmare.
They are trying to build contingency funds I guess. Is a new building. Is the amenities maintenance fees I am worry about in the future. I mean why do we even need a yoga room, Majong room, pool, sunna room, hot tub, bowling room and a gym when there is a community center less than 5min walk? The community center pretty have everything I mention plus more. Beside I don't think many people will use them......

I rather they have little to no amenities but have 24/7 convergence service and have better building maintenance overall. There are 3 elevators in total and within a month 2 elevators already broke down and needs repair. Once it happen on a busy weekend and people already booked one elevator for move in. So there is only 1 elevator to use for the whole weekend. Have to wait 10+mins and even then it might full by the time it got to your floor. The mail room was leaking for the past few days coz the air condition for common area was turn too high......

I also can't wait till flooding happens in the building. During the walk in people were told they need to use high efficiency detergent and so far the few people that I know just use regular detergent which is going to cause flooding to the unit below (have that happen for a few co-workers who live in apartments and their units got flooded.). I mean yes maybe you can't reach the instruction booklet that comes with your washer/dryer but during the walk in they specifically told people to use high efficiency detergent in both Chinese and English.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #10345
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
$260 as of July 1st. We take possession on the 29th, already sold most of our old furniture so it should be a simple move. As per your comments on the building - I hear you. I'd much prefer to just have a concerige and avoid the future strata inflation that comes with ammenitines we'll rarely if ever use. Pools are a big one that developments should avoid.

The building I currently live in is around 20 years old and the elevators are always giving problems. But it's usually because idiots are constantly moving in/out without booking. IE holding the door manually instead of getting the concierge to lock it.

As for 5515 Boundary, one thing my inspector mentioned was upgrading the hoses to the washer. He said they are cheap and will likely expand and burst resulting in a floor/water damage. Definitely the first thing I'm tending to after moving in. That and insurance - because God knows how many idiots can't cook or measure laundry detergent.

Seems like a nice area though. Close to the sky train and metro town. There's a nice park and I see lots of people walking their dogs as well as families in the playground. Also couldn't help but notice the number of modified cars. There's a clean white mr2 turbo in the garage and saw a bunch of STIs, m3, 335 even a 507 edition c63 coupe.

Last edited by R. Mutt; 08-14-2017 at 10:24 PM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #10346
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Get used to broken elevators. In my 1.5yo building, it's a common occurrence for an elevator or two to be out of service every few days. Strata seems to blame shoddy service from the elevator company. I'm just happy that we have 4 elevators otherwise I'd need to get used to walking the stairs.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #10347
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
I also can't wait till flooding happens in the building. During the walk in people were told they need to use high efficiency detergent and so far the few people that I know just use regular detergent which is going to cause flooding to the unit below (have that happen for a few co-workers who live in apartments and their units got flooded.). I mean yes maybe you can't reach the instruction booklet that comes with your washer/dryer but during the walk in they specifically told people to use high efficiency detergent in both Chinese and English.
Are you telling me the plumbing in the newer buildings can't even handle the water flow from a washing machine session???
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #10348

Quote:
Are you telling me the plumbing in the newer buildings can't even handle the water flow from a washing machine session???
https://www.thespruce.com/regular-de...washer-1908709

It have something to do with the front loading washer apartments are using. "High-efficiency front or top loading washers are designed with low water levels and a tumbling washing action."
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #10349
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Bruh my strata is 1000 a month
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #10350
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,517 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
We recently made our first purchase at Wall Centre Central Park (Kingsway & Boundary). Compromised a little on distance to work so we could buy new. Everything we saw around Mt. Pleasant was old and beaten to shit. Not much new and whatever did pop up that was in the 2-6 year range resulted in a crazy bidding war with one place ending at just over $1000/sq ft and 120k over asking.

My question was out of curiosity to hear what other people think who've been living here longer and have seen the market evolve over the past 20 or 30 years.
I remember when I used to live at my condo in the same area, Boundary and Kingsway, I used to see your car parked there sometimes. I still have my condo there that I rent out. The prices have skyrocketed since I bought my place back in 2004. I paid about $246/sq ft at the time
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote