REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #11001
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I had a similar goal. Buy a house, buy a nice car, get a wife, and have zero kids before im 40. You know whats the biggest contributor to all of these things? Luck!

I got lucky finding a good job with the railroads and now the ports.
I got lucky finding a wife whos supportive and financially secure
I got lucky buying my house in Richmond for 500k back in 2008
I got lucky with my investments turning out and paying off my house

sometimes shit happens, other times you just get lucky.
Don't be so modest. What I see is an ability not only to recognize opportunity knocking, but to answer when it does.
Unfortunately, a quality not everyone possesses
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM   #11002
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Don't be so modest. What I see is an ability not only to recognize opportunity knocking, but to answer when it does.
Unfortunately, a quality not everyone possesses
Exactly...the locals who are buying and have bought multiple properties have to be commended for making the right decision so far....people are crying now cuz they haven't...It takes guts to spend that much money and your life savings for a home...people will always cry and talk but a lot of people want things handed to them and are scared to make sacrifices to own something
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 AM   #11003
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Thats a pretty narrow viewpoint of whats going on.
There are plenty of people that have shit they didn't earn, and plenty of people that put in the work and were held back by circumstance.
A lot of homeowners in Vancouver really accomplished nothing more than being born into the right generation, when homes were a couple years wage instead of 20.
Badhobz humility is refreshing. Hes a successful guy, and we know he worked for it. People can see it without shouting it from the rooftops.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #11004

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
People are discussing that somewhat flawed academic study that compares immigration data and the amount of supply being built in Metro Vancouver. However, here's a pretty straight forward population distribution picture which shows why young families and millennials are buying anything available, no matter how small or shitty:

https://twitter.com/YVRHousing/statu...596575744?s=09
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #11005
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Isn't this the same Realtor that threatened a gangland hit on one of her buyers a couple of years ago?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #11006

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
After hearing theses stories about people making it work and doing what they could to buy. I'd like to hear peoples stories about how they can't. Instead of the same "Vancouver's too expensive" story
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #11007

They aren’t on here because they don’t own cars.
Remember the demographic of RS isn’t your average young Vancouver citizen. If you can’t blow a few grand a year on modding your car you likely won’t be posting here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #11008
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
After hearing theses stories about people making it work and doing what they could to buy. I'd like to hear peoples stories about how they can't. Instead of the same "Vancouver's too expensive" story
I'm fully open about it.

Medical.

Great job. Got hit with health problems turning the next few years of my life being in and out of hospitals and generally having someone keep tabs on me for 90% of the day. (age 24 - few weeks before my 28th birthday).

Although I am in a union, it wasn't a work related problem so I had to go on long term sick leave. You know what your monthly income is on that? Less than what a welfare person receives. During that time I was unable to purchase anything and now that I'm ready and trying to buy a place everything is out of my grasp. I'm doing my best as I can now but it's just not enough to keep up.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #11009
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
What'd you buy as your fun car then lost 10k on lol
M5
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #11010
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
They aren’t on here because they don’t own cars.
Remember the demographic of RS isn’t your average young Vancouver citizen. If you can’t blow a few grand a year on modding your car you likely won’t be posting here.
To be fair, a lot of us did car mods in the late 90s and early 2000s when it was affordable to do so and not to mention, when we were living at home. We just stuck around RS for 15 years afterwards cuz we love it so much .

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #11011
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
The thing is a lot of these stories about how people made it work start with "I lived with my parents rent free while working full time and saving every penny". That's a HUGE benefit to have over someone who isn't in that situation. Add the cost of rent these days and what took you a few years of hard saving takes someone else 10+.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #11012

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Lots of lament about the old North American lifestyle of moving out at 18, driving fast cars that didn't take a computer to fix, having casual relationships, and stumbling into a union job in your late 20s toward middle class prosperity. That's how my dad's life played out and now he and my mom are sitting on over 1.5 million in land value.

Today, 20 and 30 somethings are fighting for scraps in the condo market, living in mouldy basement suites, experiencing high levels of social anxiety, and are facing record levels of student debt with low wages and jobs that are increasingly being automated.

It's not hard to understand the frustration.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #11013
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The thing is a lot of these stories about how people made it work start with "I lived with my parents rent free while working full time and saving every penny". That's a HUGE benefit to have over someone who isn't in that situation. Add the cost of rent these days and what took you a few years of hard saving takes someone else 10+.

Apparently that's the new reality, unless you're willing to work 7 days a week and never see your family you're a lazy cunt who doesn't want to do what it takes to stay afloat. You can take that lifestyle and shove it up your ass. Enjoy your house, as well as the early grave you dug yourself being sleep deprived for 40 years working yourself to death, your kids will appreciate the early inheritance.
lol is there a problem with that? I read a few of your recent posts and you seem so bitter about people who work extra hard to get what they want or make lifestyle changes to achieve their goals - even if that means moving back home for a few years to save equity.

people get shit on because they live pay cheque to pay cheque, spend beyond their means, renting 2500 dollar yaletown condos and when they correct those behaviors by making sound financial choices and working hard, they also get shit on by people like you. lol there is just no winning eh?

Last edited by Gh0st; 11-29-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #11014

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
lol is there a problem with that? I read a few of your recent posts and you seem so bitter about people who work extra hard to get what they want or make lifestyle changes to achieve their goals - even if that means moving back home for a few years to save equity.

people get shit on because they live pay cheque to pay cheque, spend beyond their means, renting 2500 dollar yaletown condos and when they correct those behaviors by making sound financial choices and working hard, they also get shit on by people like you. lol there is just no winning eh?
I'm not shitting on people who lived with their parents, I did it myself. I just think something's wrong if the only options are hoping you have the opportunity to live rent free, or kill yourself working 7 days a week for years to save up for a down payment.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #11015
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
everyones situation is different. not everyone is blessed with a good paying job.

the only thing wrong is if that said person is not willing or doing something about it to make it better for themselves.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #11016
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
If you make the average Canadian wage, renting in any sort of suite in Vancouver without other financial help. I'm going to go ahead and say it is literally impossible to afford housing here starting from scratch. 40k a year. 30-33k take home? 12k on rent. That's living on $1800 a month. The inflation of housing out paces any possibility of saving for a down payment one might need.

This is the issue. But I guess this is where you can't expect to own in the most expensive place in Canada.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 11-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #11017
Old School RS

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
everyones situation is different. not everyone is blessed with a good paying job.

the only thing wrong is if that said person is not willing or doing something about it to make it better for themselves.
Nobody is “blessed” with a good paying job. They earn them. There are no $200k/yr jobs that you get with no education, no sales pressure, and easy work.

You either earn it by putting your time in at school (I mean like medical school, not a Bachelor of Arts while you get baked every day) or you work your ass off and prove yourself through work ethic and results in a sales type job. An oversimplification for sure but the simple truth is pay is matched with work, stress, and difficulty - otherwise somebody else would do it for less.

-Mark
Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #11018
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
But that CEO or business owner was just gifted that position/business!

having that laundry list of credentials or puting in YEARS of hard work shouldnt be rewarded!

People in that whole 1% argument often dont realize the amount of liability these people in upper management positions have regarding their subordinates.

Obviously examples like some CEO of a pharma company who's making 25 mill a year is a different story, but the business owner/ceo/VP of a company where you are making 2/3/400k a year assume MASSIVE liability and responsibility. The type of shit where you could lose a good portion, or all of your wealth in an instant.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #11019
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Nobody is “blessed” with a good paying job. They earn them. There are no $200k/yr jobs that you get with no education, no sales pressure, and easy work.

You either earn it by putting your time in at school (I mean like medical school, not a Bachelor of Arts while you get baked every day) or you work your ass off and prove yourself through work ethic and results in a sales type job. An oversimplification for sure but the simple truth is pay is matched with work, stress, and difficulty - otherwise somebody else would do it for less.

-Mark
Some people are blessed with amazing jobs while they've invested half the effort as everyone else who applied for the position. I know several people who have jobs that pay quite well and only have it thanks to a family member. Social networking goes a long way. You build your connections and after 40 years of doing so and now having a child who's a fresh graduate you reach out to a few friends, old colleagues, past bosses, and ask if they've anything that can help your kid out. They think about it and one of them will be able to offer a job that won't be insulting to them. They'll still need to work hard but they just passed a giant hurdle that most can't get past, getting a decent job that has opportunity to move up higher. Having close personal family ties helps.

Me and my girlfriend were talking about this the other day. Her friend just passed the bar exam and because her father has hookups she's now working in a law firm while all the others who passed the exam are still having a hard time just finding work. Some even working for free just for the experience on their resume.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #11020
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

-Mark
I've seen many times where someone's dad works at a firm, and they have the inside advantage to get hired at the same company.

I'm not saying that they didn't need the required credentials, but lots of people can get degrees or education. Getting a sweet job after is another story.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #11021

Not to mention a financial safety net from family allows people the education, time and risk taking that is required to further you career than the 9-5, 18-65 route our parents could easily afford homes with.
To be successful it sometimes requires risks and a pay cut. You can’t take those if you are going to lose your apartment over missing a couple paycheques.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #11022
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
I think it really depends on what you define as "hard work". I couldnt be a plumber to save my life, but some people can and its relatively easy and stress-free for them. They can make 200k+ doing that. Get a useful degree is a good idea, but it boils down to connections, personality, and a strong resume.

Your field of work really influences your overall pay. Anything in transportation/logistics/marine usually pays more than things in retail, sales, etc.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #11023
GS8

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Vancouver Real Life Market Thread
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #11024

Having a job that you can do side work with helps a lot too
-Norm Franz
Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #11025

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post

This is what it boils down to, IMO.
I'm not saying people can get whatever they want if they just try, but if you're not doing everything in your available power to achieve a realistic goal, I have no sympathy.
That just makes sense to me.
-Norm Franz