REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #11151
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Huge news this morning from the Mayors Council meeting: Derek Corrigan wins the chair from Gregor.

This is what he had to say about Translinks plans for projects in the pipeline:

Considering that Corrigan has not supported a single major project, such as Canada Line or Evergreen, that has not benefitted Burnaby directly while he has been mayor, it's unlikely that both the Broadway extension of the Skytrain and the Surrey LRT will get done at the same time. In fact, I would argue that nothing gets done for the next 5 years except the B Line extensions. This means that all those people buying King George condos or presale condos along the Broadway corridor will probably not see any shovels in the ground for a decade.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #11152

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It looks like the City of Vancouver is serious about doing something about the homeless population. CoV is going to build modular housing in Marpole, despite the protests from Chinese homeowners in the neighbourhood who still are a key constituency in many neighbourhoods in the CoV. The next site proposed for this type of housing is a vacant lot across from 29th Avenue station which still remains home to a lot of old timer CBC families.

Considering that the majority of RS still considers Vancouver their home, how would you feel about modular housing being built in your neighbourhood?
You know what the fucked up part about this is?

Those units they are building are 10x nicer than most camps us working folk stay in when we are on remote sites.

Most remote sites buy used camp trailers, and yet the government buys brand new modular units to house junkies and homeless people.

Makes a whole pile of sense to me why my tax dollars from my remote job where I stay in shit should go towards housing a homeless bum in a room nicer than mine. Fuck me.

Do I sound bitter enough for everyone? I've been dealing with nothing but camp and food issues related to our crew here for the last 2 months. Starting to get really irritated.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #11153
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
A commonly cited argument that gets thrown around a lot is -- many of the homeless are also suffering from mental health issues, and thus they can't help themselves to keep their lives together. I know a few people and have worked with people with mental health issues. When they refuse to stay on top of their medications for whatever reason -- and sometimes the meds really make you feel quite awful or mentally slow -- they absolutely cannot be reasoned with in a conventional manner. And then what can society do? Kill them off to cleanse the pool? You can't blame them for not looking after themselves.
While this is a societal issue in general, i think the resources and funding these people require is a government issue, one which imo, outside of tax dollars, your average citizen shouldnt have to bear the burden of with situations like these.

As per that article tapioca posted.. weird.. housing people who cant integrate into society or are on the fringes are creating ghettos and resentment towards the other people around them? thats odd.. would have thought it was such a good idea housing refugee's and illegal migrants in multi million dollar hotel rooms and condos while others cant even afford to eat

kind of a stretch maybe but a lot of these hand outs and freebies to the fringes of society are creating a demographic which harbors the resentment spoken of. That and the concept of foreign buyers pricing regulars out of the market etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #11154
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
LOL Corrigans makes translink pay for the metrotown skytrain ped bridge, uses it as an example of what he did for city election

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #11155
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Disgusting that this narrow-minded guy has been elected as the chair. Against Canada Line, Against Evergreen Line, Against SFU Gondola even in his own backyard. Hope the province doesn't actually bend to his wishes.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #11156

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
If the province wants to stop land speculation around transit stations and keep people in dilapidated shacks and low rise buildings, they'll work with Corrigan and the Mayors Council and "prioritize" transit projects for the next 5 years.

Nothing gets built = no more speculation.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #11157
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
He's been there like 3.5 years.

I'm not breaking the lease. He's been month to month for 2+ years.

RTB still said he gets 1 month free.

I gave 2 months notice.

Dude is paying $4500 a month, he sold a 17 million dollar house in Wvan before moving into my place. I offered him the option of buying the apartment off of us, but he doesn't want to tie up the money in it. At the same time he knows he won't find another 3 bedroom place like this for this price anywhere.

Dude doesn't want to leave, so I can already see the writing on the wall. I'm going to have issues with him.
Good god. Do I have to school you again on your obligations as a landlord?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...o-month-notice

It clearly says it doesnt matter if it is month to month.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #11158
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Disgusting that this narrow-minded guy has been elected as the chair. Against Canada Line, Against Evergreen Line, Against SFU Gondola even in his own backyard. Hope the province doesn't actually bend to his wishes.
Better than moonbean who only wants to waste millions and millions of dollars on bike lanes. I rather see nothing gets done then waste our tax dollars and having our tax raise coz of it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #11159
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
pics of the view fromt he 3-bedroom that's $4500/mo in rent
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #11160
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I too would like to see pics of this $4500/month domicile.
And he sold a $17,000,000 place, yet he’s taking you for a free month?!

This guy is a greedy piece of shit. Either that, or he’s leveraged up the ass and doesn’t have as much as he is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Good god. Do I have to school you again on your obligations as a landlord?

Spoiler!
This guy.
This guy here.

He’s good.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #11161
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
For those of you who deal with tenants or manage properties in a building often I've a basic question for you. My girlfriend asked me this and I've no clue so I figured someone here might be of better assistance.

It's christmas time now and the lease says nothing about live plants or christmas trees allowed in the building. Now there's a piece of paper in the lobby saying no live trees allowed etc etc. she want's to know why it can just be enforced just 2 weeks before christmas when there's nothing saying otherwise in a multi page lease of what she can do and have and can't. I can see it for fire hazard reasons and being a mess but the building is only 3 floors, has no elevator, and it your typical old building. For arguments sake lets say it's a religious symbol. Would he be able to deny any menorahs have real lit candles as well?

I don't mind making this guys life rough. I don't even live there but he's a total fucking slumlord. There's several problems in the building that keep popping up and his general attitude towards issues is "meh" if it gets worse I'll look into it. She's a great tenant, never had any rent issues, never had any complaints against her and everyone she's met in the building likes her (small building with maybe 20 units). When her lease is up she's leaving so she really doesn't care if she pisses him off now because she's only got a few months left and her happiness level is slowly diminishing from the fuck ups in her own place. example - her toilet was fucked up and stopped working. She called him up and told him about it and he said okay he'll get it fixed. That was on a weekday. We took off for the weekend and came back to it still not fixed.

Anyways, the tree part is the question she's wanting to know. Anyone have insight on it?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #11162
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Since the notice is in the lobby, it seems like it is something agreed on by the Strata, and thus will be enforced by the Strata. In any decent rental contract, there would be a generic clause of some sort to the effect that the tenant will abide by whatever bylaws the Strata enacts.

Stratas have the power to levy fines on bylaw violations, so if you or your girlfriend brings a live tree in and the Strata finds out, they'll issue a bylaw violation fine on your landlord. Naturally, that fine will get handed down to your girlfriend.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #11163
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
For those of you who deal with tenants or manage properties in a building often I've a basic question for you. My girlfriend asked me this and I've no clue so I figured someone here might be of better assistance.

It's christmas time now and the lease says nothing about live plants or christmas trees allowed in the building. Now there's a piece of paper in the lobby saying no live trees allowed etc etc. she want's to know why it can just be enforced just 2 weeks before christmas when there's nothing saying otherwise in a multi page lease of what she can do and have and can't. I can see it for fire hazard reasons and being a mess but the building is only 3 floors, has no elevator, and it your typical old building. For arguments sake lets say it's a religious symbol. Would he be able to deny any menorahs have real lit candles as well?

I don't mind making this guys life rough. I don't even live there but he's a total fucking slumlord. There's several problems in the building that keep popping up and his general attitude towards issues is "meh" if it gets worse I'll look into it. She's a great tenant, never had any rent issues, never had any complaints against her and everyone she's met in the building likes her (small building with maybe 20 units). When her lease is up she's leaving so she really doesn't care if she pisses him off now because she's only got a few months left and her happiness level is slowly diminishing from the fuck ups in her own place. example - her toilet was fucked up and stopped working. She called him up and told him about it and he said okay he'll get it fixed. That was on a weekday. We took off for the weekend and came back to it still not fixed.

Anyways, the tree part is the question she's wanting to know. Anyone have insight on it?
Well he could pass the fine onto her if anyone finds out. If she refuse to pay the fines the owner can use her deposit for it.

If I were your gf I would have just be like hey asshole fix the toilet. I would give him a day if it is not fix I would have tell him I am hiring someone to fix it and you are going to foot the bill. I am pretty sure the tenacy agency would side with your gf if this asshole try to talk himself out of paying the bill.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #11164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Since the notice is in the lobby, it seems like it is something agreed on by the Strata, and thus will be enforced by the Strata. In any decent rental contract, there would be a generic clause of some sort to the effect that the tenant will abide by whatever bylaws the Strata enacts.

Stratas have the power to levy fines on bylaw violations, so if you or your girlfriend brings a live tree in and the Strata finds out, they'll issue a bylaw violation fine on your landlord. Naturally, that fine will get handed down to your girlfriend.
Checked through her. 16 unit building owned by one man and self managed with no council and nothing in her lease about xmas trees or lights etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Well he could pass the fine onto her if anyone finds out. If she refuse to pay the fines the owner can use her deposit for it.

If I were your gf I would have just be like hey asshole fix the toilet. I would give him a day if it is not fix I would have tell him I am hiring someone to fix it and you are going to foot the bill. I am pretty sure the tenacy agency would side with your gf if this asshole try to talk himself out of paying the bill.
I try to have her talk to the guy but she's to timid to voice herself to him and she won't let me do it. I'm there quite a bit after work hours and stay with her on weekends but I don't live there but he still wanted my drivers license to check me out. I politely told him no. At night her heater sometimes starts sounding like water is flowing through it and it makes loud noises all night. It's enough that I don't even want to sleep there because I'm a light sleeper. The toilet issue had me extremely mad that had we not been there she would've had no toilet for days..what the fuck is a person supposed to do? He didn't even know she wasn't there for the weekend he just let it stay fucked. Is he to cheap to call in a plumber after hours??? The roof top fire exit is locked with a chain, all the heaters suck balls because they're old, the bathroom drain is always clogging even though she has a little thing to prevent any hair going down. I'm guessing he probably doesn't want to spend a lot of money on an older building that needs a FULL reno done to it.

I'm the reason she'll be leaving. She moved in only a month after we had met so she really had no other options to move in with someone as she's lived in the states for school for the past 6 or 7 years.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #11165
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
If you already have the tree, I’d say fuck off. How is he even going to know? Maybe it’s a big conspiracy theory as to why he’s not foxingyour toilet... to see what kind of trees his tenants have! Lol

My buildings manager put up notices in my building that no bikes are no longer allowed inside. I have 3 clearly visible hangingon my wall. He doesn’t say a thing as I’m a good tenant and don’t damage walls like other idiots. If he tries to raise hell over an Xmas tree, she’s probably not a good tenant. Lol. Oh, don’t catch the place on fire though.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #11166

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
If you already have the tree, I’d say fuck off. How is he even going to know? Maybe it’s a big conspiracy theory as to why he’s not foxingyour toilet... to see what kind of trees his tenants have! Lol

My buildings manager put up notices in my building that no bikes are no longer allowed inside. I have 3 clearly visible hangingon my wall. He doesn’t say a thing as I’m a good tenant and don’t damage walls like other idiots. If he tries to raise hell over an Xmas tree, she’s probably not a good tenant. Lol. Oh, don’t catch the place on fire though.

No tree. She wanted one but instead had to go buy a fake one.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #11167

^^ is the washroom fix yet? If not I would raise hell with the landlord.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #11168

Was supposed to be fixed on the Sunday but it wasn't fixed until Monday after she came home from work. I don't know about you guys but when I wake up I usually need to take a piss or drop a deuce. The building is a flat out gong show. Every Saturday night is like and episode of Jerry Springer with the trashy neighbors yelling and screaming at each other until 2am. When they get to a certain point one of them slams doors and leaves which is when they bring their argument to the hallways. Every damn weekend. It's not muffled so we get to hear everything said and sometimes it's funny but other times it's pathetic how much the woman whines about the most stupidest things. I don't know how many noise complaints they've had but I'm always tempted to yell out the window to them or knock on their door. The only reason I don't is because my girlfriend doesn't want to make a scene or be a problem.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #11169
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ is the washroom fix yet? If not I would raise hell with the landlord.
Agreed, I'd tell him he has until the end of the day or I'm doing what you suggested above and hiring someone and I'll deduct whatever it costs from next months rent.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #11170

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
hiring someone and I'll deduct whatever it costs from next months rent.
In order to do that legally, it would have to qualify as an emergency repair (I would think broken toilet falls under that definition) and she would have to request reimbursement IN WRITING of that repair.

If you're not absolutely sure that you meet those criteria and requirements and just simply "deduct the costs from your rent" you'll find yourself with a 10-day notice to end tenancy for unpaid rent pretty quick.

Be careful.

Quote:
Withholding Rent

A tenant must pay all of the rent when it’s due. However, there are five situations when a tenant may deduct money from the rent:

The tenant has an arbitrator’s decision allowing the deduction
The landlord illegally increases the rent
The landlord has overcharged for a security or pet damage deposit
The landlord refuses the tenant’s written request for reimbursement of emergency repairs
The tenant has the landlord’s written permission allowing a rent reduction
Note for tenants: Withholding rent for any other reason or without written permission from an arbitrator or the landlord may result in the landlord serving a 10 Day Notice to End Tenancy. Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch if you’re considering withholding rent.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #11171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
In order to do that legally, it would have to qualify as an emergency repair (I would think broken toilet falls under that definition) and she would have to request reimbursement IN WRITING of that repair.

If you're not absolutely sure that you meet those criteria and requirements and just simply "deduct the costs from your rent" you'll find yourself with a 10-day notice to end tenancy for unpaid rent pretty quick.

Be careful.
Take me for a ride and he'll be needing to keep the damage deposit. I don't even live there and it's not my damage deposit but her landlord makes me mad to the point where if she were to let me talk to him I'd give him more than an earful of how I think he is.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #11172

It's not really "taking for a ride", If she doesn't follow legal procedure with the correct written documents than it's simply illegal to withhold rent. The RTA will back the landlord up on that.

If you're implying that he'll need to keep the damage deposit because you'll damage the unit, then he can always still sue her in court for the additional damages incurred.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #11173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
It's not really "taking for a ride", If she doesn't follow legal procedure with the correct written documents than it's simply illegal to withhold rent. The RTA will back the landlord up on that.

If you're implying that he'll need to keep the damage deposit because you'll damage the unit, then he can always still sue her in court for the additional damages incurred.
So it's okay for him to wait days on end to fix something that's needed immediately? When I say "Take me for a ride" I'm speaking in the sense that him being a POS and not fixing things in a place that someone pays him to live in. You know, those basic things needed in life that you expect to be in working order while you pay a large amount of money to live somewhere - toilets, showers that don't clog up turning into a bath, using the thermostat but being unable to sleep because it's so old and it sounds like hammering through the walls. Your quality of life goes down real fast.

It's not intentional damaging... it's his place being so out dated and him having no desire to put any money into the place that I'd do everything I could to make sure things are fixed in her place. How would you like to be in her position? She's out in a few months but until then her quality of life shouldn't be crap because of a landlord who's lazy. It's not like the demands are high.. He's the type of guy who would evict someone for repairs and put new carpets and light fixtures in then rent it out for twice as much as he did before.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #11174
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
I think we need a Vancouver Renters' thread in here....

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #11175

Dude I get it.

I'm not siding with the landlord at all, all I was saying with respect to Quasi's response is that you should follow the proper procedure according to the RTA if you want to take any action, withholding rent, or damage deposit or otherwise, or you're just going to make the situation worse.

You can't just hire a plumber, and then next month when rent is due be like "Yo Landlord, so I'm keeping the $500 it cost me to fix the toilet out of my own pocket"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: