REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #10951
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Exactly. No kids. She’s 28 and I’m 32, and we’d like kids in the next 3-5 years. Living in a 1 bedroom condo, we could get by for a year or 2 with our large den, but it’s not long term.
It’s looking like we will leave this city by that point.
Also by that point hopefully she will be a nurse practitioner which is another example of the city that can’t be afforded by a valuable asset to the community.
Assuming "leaving this city" means you're just leaving the North Shore, but not actually away from the Lower Mainland, where do you suppose your budget would allow you to settle in the next 3-5 years? With the way RE are heading, my personal guess is, the price hikes will neutralize -- or at least eat up a significant portion of -- Mrs. Westopher's higher earnings in her new role as nurse practitioner. And then when little Westopher hits, the increased expenses and her reduced income (even after mat leave EI + union top ups) will reduce your disposable spendings.

Wifey and I are in a similar situation where we want to upsize the living quarters, and our combined earnings are nowhere near what you are pulling in. We don't want to leave CoV because our family and support base are all in Vancouver. But our salaries are really not affording us any good options.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #10952
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
*insert geico comericial*

I saved myself 300K by calling up Dr.Pollock and getting a vasectomy!

lol in all seriousness though i cant stand kids so that aint even in my future budget a bit of a burden off my mind. Probably have a nervous break down if i had to deal with that
Old 11-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #10953
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Assuming "leaving this city" means you're just leaving the North Shore, but not actually away from the Lower Mainland, where do you suppose your budget would allow you to settle in the next 3-5 years? With the way RE are heading, my personal guess is, the price hikes will neutralize -- or at least eat up a significant portion of -- Mrs. Westopher's higher earnings in her new role as nurse practitioner. And then when little Westopher hits, the increased expenses and her reduced income (even after mat leave EI + union top ups) will reduce your disposable spendings.

Wifey and I are in a similar situation where we want to upsize the living quarters, and our combined earnings are nowhere near what you are pulling in. We don't want to leave CoV because our family and support base are all in Vancouver. But our salaries are really not affording us any good options.
Realistically Squamish is number one on our radar. A hospital that needs well trained staff. Rent cheap enough that I can open my own restaurant and be reasonably successful (with little to no competition) a young population and all the things we care about other than the food/music scene that we can still come and be a part of here occasionally.
We can upsize there and be even across the board or even put money in our pockets RE wise.
If it keeps going the way that it’s going here, I’d rather contribute to a community that isn’t just a bank, but made up of actual people which is a big part of the prospect of moving.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #10954
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
You can literally move 20 minutes east into Burnaby Heights and buy an older, but good-sized 1000+ square foot 2 bedroom condo or stacked townhouse for the price of your condo in CoV. Burnaby Heights is still on the grid system with good bike lane integration with CoV, a B-Line downtown, and a walkable street with independent restaurants, grocers, and cafes. Plus, the City of Burnaby is run by a mayor who despises Gregor Robinson. The Heights is one of the best neighbourhoods anywhere in Metro Vancouver.

It's not like the world ends at Boundary Road or something. There are always options.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #10955
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts
What's this dual income thing?

But anyway, I'm in that odd position of working very full-time which leads to a boring life. The upside is money funneling right into my savings. My rent is reasonable and I have the tiniest cable package there is so my bills are quite minimal. But, naturally, I'm always behind the rising property costs. Had I done this 20 years ago, I'd be way ahead but life happens.

I've considered not purchasing property in the future and instead, donating to various charities here and there.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #10956

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

But anyway, I'm in that odd position of working very full-time which leads to a boring life. The upside is money funneling right into my savings. My rent is reasonable and I have the tiniest cable package there is so my bills are quite minimal. But, naturally, I'm always behind the rising property costs. Had I done this 20 years ago, I'd be way ahead but life happens.

I've considered not purchasing property in the future and instead, donating to various charities here and there.
r/personalfinancecanada and Canadian Couch Potato are your friends.

At some point though, you will probably need to buy something somewhere because when you can no longer make an income, you will need housing security. Maybe a mobile home somewhere? Rent always goes up over time.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #10957

Quote:
Look at it this way -- running on a single income for a single person is really still very manageable. Things don't really get complicated (and $$$$) until you are trying to feed 2 or more mouths on that single income.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #10958
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Single income and trying to buy a place is tough, but do-able on a committed mindset.

I just bought my place and it took awhile to save that down payment and also put aside cash for emergencies. I lived at home, gave parents some rental money each month, spent quite conservatively, but still able to make things work, such as take a travel trip here and then, along with enjoying my hobbies. Even then, it still stretches my limits since I ain't making 6 digits, but still manageable for a single income earner. End of the day, have to stay focus on the end goal. Yes, there's shit loads of distractions these days that entice us to spend, which doesn't help lol. It does help a lot if able to live at home, but not everyone swings that way.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #10959
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Look at it this way -- running on a single income for a single person is really still very manageable. Things don't really get complicated (and $$$$) until you are trying to feed 2 or more mouths on that single income.
2 mouths and 2 incomes is definitely at least 1.5x better than 1 mouth and 1 income. Being a couple is a HUGE financial plus.

-Mark
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #10960

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If it keeps going the way that it’s going here, I’d rather contribute to a community that isn’t just a bank, but made up of actual people which is a big part of the prospect of moving.
Exactly.
That's all I was saying. If enough people show that Vancouver is not sustainable by leaving, maybe the market will dip? I dunno. Maybe that's a crazy notion. But that seems to me to be a principal of the free market.

Only thing I think the government should do is a complete ban on non citizen buyers. And not just metro Vancouver.
No way in hell they'd do that tho.

Squamish is choice. It's like 20 minutes from Vancouver, and 45 minutes to Whistler. And the other three local mountains at your doorstep. Definitely a nice place to raise a family
I wouldn't snooze on that tho. Lotta development been taking place there past few years. Things are moving quick.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #10961

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
r/personalfinancecanada and Canadian Couch Potato are your friends.

At some point though, you will probably need to buy something somewhere because when you can no longer make an income, you will need housing security. Maybe a mobile home somewhere? Rent always goes up over time.
You can technically save so that your a RIF that pays you enough to cover rent till you die.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #10962
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Squamish in 20mins! You drive a hyperloop?

A 2 child policy worldwide would be a good start to housing/environment/food issues
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #10963

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post

Squamish is choice. It's like 20 minutes from Vancouver, and 45 minutes to Whistler. And the other three local mountains at your doorstep. Definitely a nice place to raise a family
I wouldn't snooze on that tho. Lotta development been taking place there past few years. Things are moving quick.
Squamish was a true value 5 years ago. Prices are no better than Langley today, so the value in Squamish is really about lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
You can technically save so that your a RIF that pays you enough to cover rent till you die.
Rent goes up 4-5% per year (as per government rent control). Inflation over the long term is 2% per year. I'm not sure if a couch potato portfolio can secure one in retirement without some sort of real estate (Leasehold is a viable option for single seniors).
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #10964
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Squamish is about a 45 minute drive from North Van under normal conditions. Which is about the same amount of time it takes for me to get from one end of Vancouver to the other during rush hour...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #10965

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
45 minutes!? You sure you hitting the right pedal? It's the one under the right foot what makes the car go
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #10966
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,856 Times in 890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
45 minutes!? You sure you hitting the right pedal? It's the one under the right foot what makes the car go
If you include getting pulled over, sounds about right.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #10967
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
Pro tip: marry rich
Pro tip 2: don't have children
Pro tip 3: ......
---------
Prosper!?!?

Finding a rich wife isn't that hard in Vancouver.... Hahha
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #10968
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
I have the tiniest cable package there is so my bills are quite minimal.
antenna TV = no bills

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #10969
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was a pre construction sale. 5% of 260k (Remember when things were this cheap?) off the bat + 5% in 6 months + 10% a year later. So fairly minimal up front but rounded out to 60k at the end.
Love this story you shared Hud91! Reminds me so much of myself in the recent years.

I worked an average corporate job, spent ALL my money on toys, cars, partying, all the way up to 23! Had 10k in student loans and also 15k remaining on my car.

One day I had a reality check after meeting with my financial consultant. At the age of 23 after being in the workforce for 8 years I had $0 dollars to my name. We calculated my net worth and it was straight up zero. (This wasn't long ago)

On the way home I made an executive decision to straighten out my life. I went home listed my car, lost 10k on the car, picked up an additional job, called up my mom and asked to move back home for a year. I let go of all my toys and paid off all my debts. This felt great!

My goal was to make 6 figures before I was 25. I didn't care whether it came from 1 revenue stream or 2 or 3. From the age of 24-25 I stacked 50k and put it towards a pre-sale in Coquitlam. Scheduled to pay another 20k at closing to meet the 20% down payment.

I'm moving into my new condo in a few months! I'm 26 now I'm still learning how to balance everything. I work every single day of the week, making more money than before - but funny how it works, I hardly ever party and I drive an average sedan.

Last edited by Gh0st; 11-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #10970
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
antenna TV = no bills
It's great, up until you live between the skytrain and the broadcast tower lol.

But seriously a great idea.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #10971
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Single income and trying to buy a place is tough, but do-able on a committed mindset.

I just bought my place and it took awhile to save that down payment and also put aside cash for emergencies. I lived at home, gave parents some rental money each month, spent quite conservatively, but still able to make things work, such as take a travel trip here and then, along with enjoying my hobbies. Even then, it still stretches my limits since I ain't making 6 digits, but still manageable for a single income earner. End of the day, have to stay focus on the end goal. Yes, there's shit loads of distractions these days that entice us to spend, which doesn't help lol. It does help a lot if able to live at home, but not everyone swings that way.
this. just bought a place too but gf and i ended up breaking up few months beforehand. single crew checking in

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #10972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Pro tip: marry rich
Pro tip 2: don't have children
Pro tip 3: ......
---------
Prosper!?!?

Finding a rich wife isn't that hard in Vancouver.... Hahha
You know that if you have already done #1, none of the other tips matter, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
My goal was to make 6 figures before I was 25. I didn't care whether it came from 1 revenue stream or 2 or 3. From the age of 24-25 I stacked 50k and put it towards a pre-sale in Coquitlam. Scheduled to pay another 20k at closing to meet the 20% down payment.

I'm moving into my new condo in a few months! I'm 26 now I'm still learning how to balance everything. I work every single day of the week, making more money than before - but funny how it works, I hardly ever party and I drive an average sedan.
Great inspirational story! But don't forget to slow down and smell the roses too, so to speak. Also, you absolutely want to give your body a break. Working every single day non-stop takes a toll on your body as well as your mind, and you really wouldn't want that.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #10973
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Yah I admire your perseverance Gh0st.............. but that's the epitome of buying into a life where the only thing you're doing is working to pay for a place to live. There's a lot more to the world. To each their own, but personally I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd work 7 days a week just to afford a condo and drive an appliance. I'd definitely look into moving somewhere else or figure out what I really wanted in life anyway, as I don't personally get ANY satisfaction about sitting back and thinking I made it because I own a box in an vastly over-priced and over-hyped city.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #10974
Need to Seek Professional Help

^your post makes me sad for so many reasons
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #10975
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
I had a similar goal. Buy a house, buy a nice car, get a wife, and have zero kids before im 40. You know whats the biggest contributor to all of these things? Luck!

I got lucky finding a good job with the railroads and now the ports.
I got lucky finding a wife whos supportive and financially secure
I got lucky buying my house in Richmond for 500k back in 2008
I got lucky with my investments turning out and paying off my house

sometimes shit happens, other times you just get lucky.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote