REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #12201
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
guys in new/newish condos smack dab in east van

are your neighbours mostly fob mainlander like in the new developments of metrotown/brentwood?

or is it a giant mix like river district

asking for a friend
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #12202
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
guys in new/newish condos smack dab in east van

are your neighbours mostly fob mainlander like in the new developments of metrotown/brentwood?

or is it a giant mix like river district

asking for a friend
Just moved into a brand new Townhome complex with 55 units in East Van by Champlain area. About half are 3 bedroom and the other half being 1 bed room units. I've seen and or met almost every owner so far and there is only 1 mainlander who to no surprise of mine owns 2 units (a 3 bed and 1 bed) which are on top of each other. Other than that the rest are made up of about 70% CBCs with the remaining 30% made up a variety of races.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #12203
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
This may be a bit off topic but I assume this would be the best place for advice.

Just got a place last Wednesday. Movers moved everything in and then the next day we took off to the interior for a wedding. Since being back I've done light cooking so I've been washing everything by hand. When we had our contract the garburator wasn't working and it was listed as one of the things she must fix "to good working order". She replaced it and it works fine. I use it every day... Used the dishwasher last night and walk into the kitchen to see water everywhere under the sink and on the floors. Whoever installed the garburator never punched out the plastic piece that allows the water from the dishwasher into it... water had nowhere to go so it went everywhere under the sink, the floors, and possibly even down the wall to the next unit below.

What course of action should I take? I've called my realtor to find out what plumbing company she used so I could have them come and fix it since it wasn't in working order. He contacted the listing agent to get a hold of her but the listing agent can't do it until some point this morning.

What I'm wanting to know is if the plumbing company is liable for any and all damage done, and if she had a friend do the job for her do I go after her to pay for any and all damage??

Thanks!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #12204
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I believe you claim against the seller, and the seller will then claim against the plumbing company.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #12205
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I'm going to ask you since you deal with a lot of presales. Why is Windsor doing so poorly in terms of selling out the building? Is it because the location isn't ideal, or the fact that they seem to be priced too high?
I don't feel it's priced high. For the area, Norquay Community Center going in across street, and multiple parks coming on Kingsway as part of Kingsway re-development plan, it'll be the first of many along the 29th + Nanaimo Skytrain along with Westbank's Kensington Garden which has a cool new T&T.

As a comparison - Wall Center Joyce is $1000/ft and Metrotown is $1100/ft and presales asking $1200/ft (Polaris). For East Vancouver and a budding Skytrain hub like Joyce I think Nanaimo/Norquay is pretty interesting.

It's about 90% sold. Handful of $800-1M units which is always harder to sell but just 10 or less out of 132 units so they are going ahead with the build.

Just did the last 1 bedroom at $599,900 for ground level entrance last weekend. $1020/ft, solid AirBNB etc with its own ground patio entrance.
For East Van, near Skytrain, etc it's a fair price.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #12206
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Just moved into a brand new Townhome complex with 55 units in East Van by Champlain area. About half are 3 bedroom and the other half being 1 bed room units. I've seen and or met almost every owner so far and there is only 1 mainlander who to no surprise of mine owns 2 units (a 3 bed and 1 bed) which are on top of each other. Other than that the rest are made up of about 70% CBCs with the remaining 30% made up a variety of races.
Huh? Where in Champlain do they have new townhomes? Genuinely curious here because River District isn't Champlain, and I can't really think of anywhere else that has the land to build a new area.

Demographically, Champlain doesn't have a lot of Mainland Chinese though. The largest group of ethnic "minorities" is still Hong Kong Chinese folks for the time being (although they are probably an aging bunch now), and that is really quite a rare scene in both CoV and Metro Vancouver. Since there have been so few new Hong Kong immigrants to Canada though, I'd expect the Hong Kong immigrant generation in that area to slowly die off / move out over the next 5+ yrs.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #12207
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
I don't feel it's priced high. For the area, Norquay Community Center going in across street, and multiple parks coming on Kingsway as part of Kingsway re-development plan, it'll be the first of many along the 29th + Nanaimo Skytrain along with Westbank's Kensington Garden which has a cool new T&T.

As a comparison - Wall Center Joyce is $1000/ft and Metrotown is $1100/ft and presales asking $1200/ft (Polaris). For East Vancouver and a budding Skytrain hub like Joyce I think Nanaimo/Norquay is pretty interesting.

It's about 90% sold. Handful of $800-1M units which is always harder to sell but just 10 or less out of 132 units so they are going ahead with the build.

Just did the last 1 bedroom at $599,900 for ground level entrance last weekend. $1020/ft, solid AirBNB etc with its own ground patio entrance.
For East Van, near Skytrain, etc it's a fair price.
Where is the Norquay Community Centre going to be? I am kind of interested in that area. I am looking at selling my Wall Center Joyce 1 Bedroom and trying to upgrade to a two bedroom.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #12208
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
You might be in the same development complex as a friend of mine. He said they just moved in not too long ago into a townhome complex by Champlain Square
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #12209

Quote:
You might be in the same development complex as a friend of mine. He said they just moved in not too long ago into a townhome complex by Champlain Square
Those townhouse / apartment complexes have been around since 2004 / 2005-ish, so they aren't really new.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #12210
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Those townhouse / apartment complexes have been around since 2004 / 2005-ish, so they aren't really new.
It's a brand new development in the area
Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #12211
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Where is the Norquay Community Centre going to be? I am kind of interested in that area. I am looking at selling my Wall Center Joyce 1 Bedroom and trying to upgrade to a two bedroom.
I believe it's going to be going up on the lot of that shitty 2400 Motel by the Church's Chicken
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #12212
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
I believe it's going to be going up on the lot of that shitty 2400 Motel by the Church's Chicken
wow... that is definitely a major clean up for that area if thats the case...
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #12213
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
the only new development in champlain is the old fire hall corner? at least one that's visible on the main streets

Quote:

amazing if true
hope I can still get cheap pho along that stretch though
meanwhile killarney is getting a new senior centre
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #12214
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote:
Shitty you say?

How an iconic Kingsway motel became a temporary Syrian community

Very popular filming location too. Oh well.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #12215
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I’m wondering as well where are the new townhomes in Champlain. I live around the area and haven’t seen anything
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #12216
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
I’m wondering as well where are the new townhomes in Champlain. I live around the area and haven’t seen anything
It's called Avalon Mews by Wales and 42nd / 43rd.
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #12217
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

Shitty you say?

How an iconic Kingsway motel became a temporary Syrian community

Very popular filming location too. Oh well.
Looks like you just proved his point. Definitely a shithole.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #12218
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymilk View Post
It's called Avalon Mews by Wales and 42nd / 43rd.
I would consider Wales/42nd as Killarney area, not Champlain. But what do I know, I live in Burnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the only new development in champlain is the old fire hall corner? at least one that's visible on the main streets
Looking at the signs driving by, those units above the fire hall will be for women's co-op housing.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #12219
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Its mos def shitty. Dunno why that valuable land the crack motels sits on hasn't been developed.

Kensington gardens should of went there instead of tearing down the canadian tire.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #12220
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
Nothing like paying $1200/sq ft to live next to dem refugees
Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #12221
RS controls my life!

For those interested in the Kingsway corridor plan some research I pulled for clients few months ago.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...ntre-plan.aspx

Keep in mind this has been nearly 7+ years in making and slow to progress...so don't hold your breathe but DP (development plans) are being approved. Good thing is with new development (read: money from developers) the City is asking for more public amenities.

There will be three more public "plazas" where the Motel, Purdys' and another as indicated here.

Latest Feb 2017 update package
https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/norqu...in-2017-02.pdf

Public Realm purposes

Full fledged community center is harder to imagine, but certainly more community spaces, plazas, gathering areas, play areas for kids, all in hope to make the Kingsway corridor less "thug" and family friendly.

Keep in mind the plan started back in 2010...so these things take time More info here for those interested, including pending Development Plans and upcoming condos / multi family units.
https://vancouver.ca/docs/planning/n...-plan-2010.pdf
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #12222
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post

Vancouver
Cambie Gardens by Onni 70% sold. $900K 1 bedroom to start. Langara Gardens nearby, Cambie corridor, yada yada. Not cheap but low risk play.
Wow, really? Phase 1 70% sold? This is before the presentation center even opens, right?

Doesn't this one cost something like $1600 per square foot??
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #12223
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Wow, really? Phase 1 70% sold? This is before the presentation center even opens, right?

Doesn't this one cost something like $1600 per square foot??
That's a low number. Some pre sales is like 90%+ sold before it goes for public and most of the good units are sold already.

First time doing open house at my place. Had a few offers already most are decent just not as high as I hope. Is only first week so I guess I will see what happens. Might readjust the price to be higher since the list price was a bit low.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #12224
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I apologize if it's already been discussed in this thread but what's everyones consensus on the new proposed development down by Rocky Point Park in Port Moody?

My parents mentioned it to me the other day, and besides the sulfur port next door (which is completely covered)... Seems like it will be interesting. They were spit balling about going there for their final/retirement move, among other options.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #12225

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
I apologize if it's already been discussed in this thread but what's everyones consensus on the new proposed development down by Rocky Point Park in Port Moody?

My parents mentioned it to me the other day, and besides the sulfur port next door (which is completely covered)... Seems like it will be interesting. They were spit balling about going there for their final/retirement move, among other options.
Oh? Which development is this?

I know there is one coming up at Clarke & Moody, but I dunno if I'd call that one "down by Rocky Point Park"...

I like that Clarke / Moody / St. John area, which is basically old DT Port Moody. Evergreen Line and WCE are 2 blocks away, and Coquitlam Center is close enough. There are good interesting restaurants and craft breweries nearby as well. And then Rocky Point Park is awesome. Area-wise, I like it quite a bit.

Because of the trains, however, anywhere close to the tracks are gonna feel / hear a lot of the vibrations. For buildings nearby, I can't imagine how they would not be affected by this in a variety of ways, including shaking / cracks / settling of the building.