REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #18026
Need to Seek Professional Help

There are also plenty of companies now who do custom cabinet fronts for ikea kitchen cabinets. Ikea cabinets are probably the best you can get for that price point.
Advertisement
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #18027
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
ikea hard ware, get a carpenter to do solidwood fronts

FYI, the corner is gonna suck donkey balls with ikea cabs

I am just guesstimating but prepare to have odd ball gap at the end cabinets that needs to be filled with something if youre' using ikea.
Yeah probably not even going to bother with the corner, and will just have the straight row of cabinets to the end and accept having the gap between the counters and fridge. I have some plans for further layout changes in 3-4 years that will see the fridge change position anyways.

I got a couple quotes for installed stone countertops and it's looking like $2K-$2.5K including fab, removal of old countertop, and install.

I'll probably find a few quotes for cabinet demo/install next for comparison before making the final call on updating the current ones vs. scrapping and getting new ones. Perfectly happy with IKEA cabinets, to go with something more expensive in this house would probably be excessive.

(Still taking any recommendations... also just for general contractors, have some flooring/paint jobs for our suite coming up)
Old 04-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #18028
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
Yeah probably not even going to bother with the corner, and will just have the straight row of cabinets to the end and accept having the gap between the counters and fridge. I have some plans for further layout changes in 3-4 years that will see the fridge change position anyways.
Could probably put the fridge where the microwave is now and then the corner becomes pretty useful.

I put in an Ikea kitchen a couple years ago with a little help from my dad and my FIL. Turned out to be surprisingly easy to do on my own though we have very little patching up work to do. For the money it simply can't be beat.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #18029
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Could probably put the fridge where the microwave is now and then the corner becomes pretty useful.

I put in an Ikea kitchen a couple years ago with a little help from my dad and my FIL. Turned out to be surprisingly easy to do on my own though we have very little patching up work to do. For the money it simply can't be beat.
That's exactly where I was hoping to put it. Would involve moving a light switch panel on that wall and some rewiring if we want to keep the fridge on its own circuit... so we'll need to get some quotes.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #18030
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Another record breaking sale in Fraserview, actually South/East Vancouver but this time I can see why someone would pay over $3m+. It's a nice house and area.

7509 VIVIAN DRIVE
Vancouver
Fraserview VE V5S 2V5
Listing Date 2021-Mar-23
Sold Date 2021-Mar-30
Sale Reported Date 2021-Apr-06
Days on Market 7
Selling Price $3,310,000
Asking Price (Final) $2,899,900
Asking Price (Original) $2,899,900
Size of House 3,772 sqft
Price per SqFt $878
Basement Full, Fully Finished
Lot Size 0.12 ac
Lot Frontage 50 ft
Age of House 6 years old
Property Taxes $6,940.21 (2020)

https://www.zealty.ca/map.html
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #18031
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Take from this what you will, but any of you guys looking at newer builds, duplexes etc. AVOID E.I builders..

Jesus Christ I’ve been in 3 different brand new builds in the last week and it’s fucking embarrassing that the buyers realtor let them buy these places.

Honestly, some of these Burnaby/Vancouver places I’ve been in are ducking terribleeeee, like some of the worst finishing/exterior envelope I’ve seen ever. Back when I was still building homes if I left one room in the state some of these entire homes are left in turn over, I’d be fired on the spot.

Fucking plumbing clean outs in main hallways with a black cap and baseboards just notched around them, door casings crooked and uneven with another door 4 inches away, HACK JOB tile and flooring. Holy fuck I can’t believe how bad it is. No sense or reasoning behind outlet or jack placement etc. Etc.

And frankly, these are all E.I builders, every single one of them.

If anyone is ever interested in having someone walk through your home with you for a deficiency walk through, I offer my services for free if I’m available. Because people should NOT be moving into brand new homes in this state. Fuck is it embarrassing.

One thing I’ll say lately is that Asian (seemingly Chinese?) builders have really stepped it up in terms of the quality of work I’ve been seeing. At least on the surface. Much more attention to detail than their E.I counter parts who have probably been doing it much longer.
I heard the crews typically order Buddyyyyyyyyy Burgers for lunch
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #18032
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Actually, I'm surprised the house only sold for $3.3M. 6 years old house, located in one of the best area in East Van, on a quiet street facing the Fraserview golf course. If a nothing special house on Victoria Drive asking for $1.7M can get bidded up to $2.6M, this one asking for $2.9M and selling for $3.3M is a smoking bargain and a much better buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Another record breaking sale in Fraserview, actually South/East Vancouver but this time I can see why someone would pay over $3m+. It's a nice house and area.

7509 VIVIAN DRIVE
Vancouver
Fraserview VE V5S 2V5
Listing Date 2021-Mar-23
Sold Date 2021-Mar-30
Sale Reported Date 2021-Apr-06
Days on Market 7
Selling Price $3,310,000
Asking Price (Final) $2,899,900
Asking Price (Original) $2,899,900
Size of House 3,772 sqft
Price per SqFt $878
Basement Full, Fully Finished
Lot Size 0.12 ac
Lot Frontage 50 ft
Age of House 6 years old
Property Taxes $6,940.21 (2020)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #18033
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
My wife’s parents live in the west end. They are elderly and have always wanted us to live on the property eventually. It’s taken years but with how much time we spend there and how much happier my wife is when she’s around them all the time I’m coming around to the idea. Or... have come around. The other day I inquired with a coworker who runs a developing company on the side (or maybe my work is the side work ��). I asked him how much it would be to build a house, and a laneway house. I had it in my head we could do it for 1.5 million. Would take a lot of saving, but my wife and I have good jobs and could manage it. With a budget like that we could have a nice upper class house and be good for life.

The guys reply, “maaaaaybe 2 million, maybe.” Are you kidding me? Vancouver is so messed! I then proceeded to contact a builder my wife likes about building in Cowichan lake on a small little lot we bought. “We average about $220sq/f, plus your permits.” Which in that part of the world could be paid with a CERB cheque. Lol. This place is so messed up. (For those not good at math, that would probably be 500k).

Honest to god, I don’t understand it. I saw an article it costs about 650k to start digging in Vancouver now. Call it 500k for a laneway (it was 350 a few years ago permits included), that brings us down to around 900k to build the house. Labour is double the cost of the island? I don’t get it.

Even if you are given land, and have 2 good salaries it’s hard to live here. Lol. So silly.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-07-2021 at 05:53 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #18034
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Well lumber prices have almost tripled in some cases in the last year or so. Hard to control those costs
Old 04-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #18035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Well lumber prices have almost tripled in some cases in the last year or so. Hard to control those costs
For sure, but that is everywhere. Both quotes were today’s prices. Although Cowichan said to expect a 15-20% increase over the next year.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #18036
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Thing with lumber it's shot up like a rocket as has steel, I've seen this in the past both will come down to earth eventually and recede almost as fast as they went up but that's anyone's guess when that is.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #18037

Was speaking with a Bosa guy the other day about building as he has been sitting on a lakefront lot across from ours(were not that well off lol). He was saying it actually makes more sense to do concrete/foam structure now over wood. Concrete hasn’t seen the increases that wood has so pricing is now similar. But you get the efficiency benefits of the concrete. Both thermal/noise and building efficiencies. Interesting...
Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #18038
I don't get it

the cost of wire has went up 50% over the last year, our cost of conduit up 60%

commercial lighting up near 30%

we get price increases monthly, sometimes without notice. The cost of building is increasing daily.

NMD90 (lumex, Romex) is up even more. I used to be able to get it for around $103 for 150 meter roll, now its $170 a roll in quantity. I have contracts i signed last year and because of Vancouver and their slow permit process are just starting. I have to find ways to cover the added costs.

i would wait for things to come down before building.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #18039
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I was planning to replace my deck last year then covid hit and my pay suffered so I held off hoping to do it this year. Now with the lumber costs I’m thinking I’ll have to postpone again, which sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #18040
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Renovations to convert the half to full bath is not going to happen anytime soon then.
tdeweyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #18041

I was researching importing some items from China is a 40ft container. Shipping costs have gone up 1000%. Yes, 3 zeros. Freakin’ crazy.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #18042

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was researching importing some items from China is a 40ft container. Shipping costs have gone up 1000%. Yes, 3 zeros. Freakin’ crazy.
I work at a place with suppliers in Vietnam and China so we book hundreds of containers each month. Our costs are about 4-5x higher now for entire containers and even then we can't get enough of them b/c a lot of containers are stuck in North America (not enough buying out of Asian to get them sent back).
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #18043
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I work at a place with suppliers in Vietnam and China so we book hundreds of containers each month. Our costs are about 4-5x higher now for entire containers and even then we can't get enough of them b/c a lot of containers are stuck in North America (not enough buying out of Asian to get them sent back).
This is kind of what one of my supplier told me, unless I misunderstood him every time they get a container shipped now they have to buy the container because none available which has added huge to the shipping costs. Those costs are passed right along down the line to the consumer.

For the most part I'm able to get my steel prices held, suppliers are adding escalation but wood they won't guarantee anything more than like a week. When I'm bidding jobs that aren't starting until next year and not finishing until halfway through 2023 that's rough. I'm terrified when they want me to include any wood items, so much risk for us. Some projects I'm just refusing to include it,probably costing us jobs but oh well.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #18044

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
This is kind of what one of my supplier told me, unless I misunderstood him every time they get a container shipped now they have to buy the container because none available which has added huge to the shipping costs. Those costs are passed right along down the line to the consumer.

For the most part I'm able to get my steel prices held, suppliers are adding escalation but wood they won't guarantee anything more than like a week. When I'm bidding jobs that aren't starting until next year and not finishing until halfway through 2023 that's rough. I'm terrified when they want me to include any wood items, so much risk for us. Some projects I'm just refusing to include it,probably costing us jobs but oh well.
so what your saying is shipping container home costs should be coming way down right?

https://www.treehugger.com/thmb/Dg51...83513890db.jpg
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #18045
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Hud_91 we gonna make some cash moneys selling container comes for 2.7 mil or what?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #18046

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
My wife’s parents live in the west end. They are elderly and have always wanted us to live on the property eventually. It’s taken years but with how much time we spend there and how much happier my wife is when she’s around them all the time I’m coming around to the idea. Or... have come around. The other day I inquired with a coworker who runs a developing company on the side (or maybe my work is the side work ��). I asked him how much it would be to build a house, and a laneway house. I had it in my head we could do it for 1.5 million. Would take a lot of saving, but my wife and I have good jobs and could manage it. With a budget like that we could have a nice upper class house and be good for life.

The guys reply, “maaaaaybe 2 million, maybe.” Are you kidding me? Vancouver is so messed! I then proceeded to contact a builder my wife likes about building in Cowichan lake on a small little lot we bought. “We average about $220sq/f, plus your permits.” Which in that part of the world could be paid with a CERB cheque. Lol. This place is so messed up. (For those not good at math, that would probably be 500k).

Honest to god, I don’t understand it. I saw an article it costs about 650k to start digging in Vancouver now. Call it 500k for a laneway (it was 350 a few years ago permits included), that brings us down to around 900k to build the house. Labour is double the cost of the island? I don’t get it.

Even if you are given land, and have 2 good salaries it’s hard to live here. Lol. So silly.
2 mil??? What the hell kind of house is this? 4000 sq ft gold plated exterior?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #18047
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:

2 mill seems redonk... like... I know what the places around my parents sold for... and then immediately were torn down and built into big-ass mansions... and then re-sold right away for profit... and based on what they re-sold for, they would have had to come in around $600-800k absolute maximum built to grab a decent profit. This was within the last year too.

Something wrong with those numbers....... or maybe you're getting the westide pricing? My parents are in Richmond near Steveston for sake of argument. I wouldn't imagine materials costs are any different though.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #18048
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
2 mill to build a 3500 sq ft house is like $570/sq ft

Getting into ultra high end at those prices, custom mill work etc.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #18049

The breakdown kind of explains it.
2 million includes the house and a laneway. A few years ago we were close on building a laneway at 350k. I assume those prices have gone up substantially (probably 500k). After permits (I’m guessing this is the difference between Richmond and Van? 650k sounds insane to break ground??) it seems like 900ish to build the house. I thought that was insane (the quote was from a builder who only builds in the west side). My wife cross checked with someone she knows who built something similar. (House, suite and laneway) in a similar area and it cost them 2.3 in the last year. They are designers themselves so I figure they probably know what the industry pricing is. Seconded by another massive build for 3 million (just the house) but this was a high end build and I think pushing 35-4000sq/f.

You also have to add into Vancouver home recycling procedures when getting rid of an old house too. They don’t make things cheap for anyone. It still seems way off to me, but this is from people who do it for a living or have done it themselves. Just insane.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-07-2021 at 08:06 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #18050
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Here's a break down of what I've seen in the last year or so.

West Van British Properties
$400 sq/ft custom home on Chartwell Dr, 7800sq/ft finished with heated infinity pool built by "white builder"

East Van
"Chinese builders" is charging $300 sq/ft for a "custom home".
"E.I builder" averaging min. $220-$300 sq/ft also for a "custom home.

Meanwhile in Surrey / Delta area
The “E.I BUDDY GUY" price for their own E.I community is anywhere from $90 - $200 sq/ft + permits.

A family friend paid all in $800k to build a so called custom home near Renfrew area from a E.I builder, and from what I have seen inside the house and outside I can confidently say the builder walked away with $350k min in profit in less than 10 months.

Just to echo on what was said earlier in this thread, unless you like getting ripped off and or you don't care how your house is built, I would stay away from E.I builders.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: