REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #16776
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

8 months behind, COVID or not, is not acceptable. I myself went from six figure salary to CERB/EI since March, yet I have been juggling around whatever I can to not miss one payment. There are resources out there (CERB, CRB, and working part time as needed) to aid people. If tenants are not willing to work things out with landlord and blatantly misses 8 months worth rent, he/she has no will to take responsibility themselves. Your friend should talk to tenant to see if something can be worked out, and if nothing is resolved, start eviction process immediately. I've only evicted one tenant in my life and on hindsight, I wish I did it sooner than later. Eviction process isn't fun and could be costly, but if you had to really consider eviction, chances are, the sooner the better. In my case, I started eviction process when I confirmed that the tenant CHOSE not to pay, not because they weren't able to afford to.
Advertisement
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #16777
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
8 months behind, COVID or not, is not acceptable. I myself went from six figure salary to CERB/EI since March, yet I have been juggling around whatever I can to not miss one payment. There are resources out there (CERB, CRB, and working part time as needed) to aid people. If tenants are not willing to work things out with landlord and blatantly misses 8 months worth rent, he/she has no will to take responsibility themselves. Your friend should talk to tenant to see if something can be worked out, and if nothing is resolved, start eviction process immediately. I've only evicted one tenant in my life and on hindsight, I wish I did it sooner than later. Eviction process isn't fun and could be costly, but if you had to really consider eviction, chances are, the sooner the better. In my case, I started eviction process when I confirmed that the tenant CHOSE not to pay, not because they weren't able to afford to.
He's right. And the process takes a while too. At least 1-2 months for me. I've had to do it once. I would start the eviction process now.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #16778
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
He's right. And the process takes a while too. At least 1-2 months for me. I've had to do it once. I would start the eviction process now.
My family had to evict people a couple times due to renters not paying their rent. Expect around 2-3 months of paperwork processing and waiting before you can kick them out.

It's always best to serve them the letter the very first month they are late with their rent to start the process. It does somewhat hurt the landlord/renter relationship but landlords aren't in the position for someone to freeload off of them either.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #16779
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
I had to evict a nightmare tenant. It was a pain in the ass. Ever since then, I hired a company to manage the place so I wouldn't have to get calls at 2am from strata asking me to deal with the tenant. It's been good for the past few years now
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #16780
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
I had to evict a nightmare tenant. It was a pain in the ass. Ever since then, I hired a company to manage the place so I wouldn't have to get calls at 2am from strata asking me to deal with the tenant. It's been good for the past few years now
which rental management company you using?
Old 11-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #16781
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
Wow 8 month rent behind ! how can he survive this BS?
why didn't your friend start the eviction process as soon as the tenant has not paid 2 months?

BTW, which area was your rental property that had reduce 30%? that's quite alot of reduction there
They had the no eviction notice during since March I believe? He just served the rent eviction notice but the tenant is disputing it and counter claiming for shitty wifi and other small things.

The property was a basement and a duplex suite in South Van.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #16782
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
but the tenant is disputing it and counter claiming for shitty wifi and other small things.
Unfortunately for the tenant, they are not allowed to withhold rent for any reason other than the following:

1. The tenant has an arbitrator’s decision allowing the deduction
2. The landlord illegally increases the rent
3. The landlord has overcharged for a security or pet damage deposit
4. The landlord refuses the tenant’s written request for reimbursement of emergency repairs
5. The tenant has the landlord’s written permission allowing a rent reduction

BC RTA Witholding Rent

Your buddy should have a pretty easy win if they didn't pay for anything other than the above reasons.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #16783
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
any of you having issue collecting rent? my tenant did not pay rent this month. my rental management agent told me not to worry.

i am concerned the tenant will abandon the place without paying the rent arrears.
That's not an acceptable answer. It's never their money and cost of doing business comes out of their pocket. What i'm saying is to get on their ball for feedback / what has been doing and what will be done. They are working for your money. Just be professional; ask for action update & results.

If tenant leaves, they leave. No company can help stop that. They are here to help deal with paperwork and having a layer of protection. Can't prevent certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
My family had to evict people a couple times due to renters not paying their rent. Expect around 2-3 months of paperwork processing and waiting before you can kick them out.
I slap the paperwork 5 business days regardless of excuses. You CAN always withdraw and as long as they pay, it voids the order. You can never be too early, i have been late in doing so and it sucks A LOT.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #16784
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
They had the no eviction notice during since March I believe? He just served the rent eviction notice but the tenant is disputing it and counter claiming for shitty wifi and other small things.

The property was a basement and a duplex suite in South Van.
"shittt wifi, so im not gonna pay"
Blows my mind.....

Thats like going into a restaurant, and saying your not gonna pay because the wifi is down that day.

Oh right, i forgot about the batshit renter protection act in canada.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #16785
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

i'm back in rental market due to selling my TH and having 6 month gap till new TH completion.
I forgot how shitty some landlords are.

in-suit laundry, but can only use 2x a week.
monthly unit inspection

asks me if I have stable job, I say I have pandemic proof job cuz I WFH.
tells me i have to pay more cuz WFH uses more electricity

lol common.....
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #16786
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
the laundry part i get (people throw a single pair of shoes into dryer for a whole day

the inspection and wfh premium though

they should just split the utility bill

sorry to see such shitty tenants...doesnt the typical vancouver listing pre-pandemic have a line-up of applicants to choose from?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-20-2020 at 08:20 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #16787

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
^Don't even bother. That guy will be your nightmare, you'll end up moving within the year.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #16788
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Monthly inspection. I wonder if they have been burned in the past.

I did a random inspection to check the "smoke alarm batteries" and found an international student had been given a room with a hot plate without my knowledge. I evicted them. (There were other various issues including ongoing noise complaints with neighbors).

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #16789
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post

lol common.....
My entire family is now WFH/School FH. Electricity bill is only like $90/billing cycle for a whole house
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #16790
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
i'm back in rental market due to selling my TH and having 6 month gap till new TH completion.
I forgot how shitty some landlords are.

in-suit laundry, but can only use 2x a week.
monthly unit inspection

lol common.....
lol.... shouldn't they already factor this in rent? I rather have a pandemic proof job tanent...
This landlord is just creating more problems for himself

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #16791
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Have been recently looking at 2 bedroom near metrotown area.

Seems the price have dropped significantly for new concrete apartment at Bennet St & Silver Avenue, but still 2 bedroom are still mid 700K.. What an average family can afford to rent is roughly $2200.....

How can landlord breakeven with mortgage, strata, insurance, property tax...? especially these concrete strata is like $400 a month..?

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:11 AM   #16792

Thanked 1,723 Times in 893 Posts
They should be doing ok if they picked it up at presale for $550
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #16793
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
I don’t understand how landlords break even these days either, I bought my 1+den way back at $360,000 and it’s worth like $500k now... rent in my building is decently high at $1600-1700 a month for a 1 bedroom and even at the price I bought at with a fair sized down payment I’d barely be be making a surplus with all the fees and taxes... there’s no way someone buying at $500k is making any money on rent.

Yet the place next to me did exactly that, bought it at peak market about 1.5 years ago and been renting it since day 1... maybe they just find it acceptable if someone else is paying their mortgage for them and they eat the ancillary costs???
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #16794
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
paid off in offshore cash
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #16795

^^^ well what choice do they have? If they don't rent it out there's zero cash coming in.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #16796
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
Have been recently looking at 2 bedroom near metrotown area.

Seems the price have dropped significantly for new concrete apartment at Bennet St & Silver Avenue, but still 2 bedroom are still mid 700K.. What an average family can afford to rent is roughly $2200.....

How can landlord breakeven with mortgage, strata, insurance, property tax...? especially these concrete strata is like $400 a month..?
Very doable for folks who bought prior to the huge run up in condo prices. Currently I'm cash flow positive about $600 month. 2bed/2bath - 906 sq ft with monthly strata at $307. This was a presale which I completed back in 2015.
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #16797
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^^ well what choice do they have? If they don't rent it out there's zero cash coming in.
... not buying it in the first place? lol
Old 11-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #16798

^^ but they are building equity and interest rates are dirt cheap. Unless you take a massive risk I don't think the average person can outperform the gains with investments.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #16799
Performance Moderator

That depends totally and entirely on the future market price of the place and interest rates remaining low... so you're still guessing like you would be on the stock market or BTC or something... just with a much much much less movable asset.

I mean, I am ok with someone paying like 70% of my investment off for me at the end of the day (way down the road), but not really as okay when I have to lock like $100k+ into it to start.

I'm not saying it's wrong... but damn it's a bit more risky than I'd be willing to go considering you're buying at close to the top of a possibly teetering market... and a shit tonne of work renting out and dealing with issues, repairs, etc. for 10+ years nevermind any natural disasters that come up
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #16800
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Dont need to profit on the rent

Even with a 80% mortgage:
30% of the "monthly rent" goes towards principle, even if your at a 100-200$ "rent loss per month"
Then the property value increases x% a year and your good to go
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: