REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #19826
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Plumbing technicians came and bled the system. Heat came back for a couple hours, then now back to ice cold no heat. The frick lol.
Sounds like you have something introducing air into the system somewhere in your line.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #19827
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Talk about margins, we did a Walmart a bunch of years ago. You know what they allow you to mark up your changes? 5% flat lol.

Talk about not being able to make any money, that doesn't even cover the overhead to coordinate the changes. The best part was we never got paid our hold back or any of our changes until almost 6 months after the store was open and operational.

I'd like to see Walmart operate on 5% margins and instead of getting paid at the register collecting the money 6 months later.
Does builders lien apply to commercial?
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #19828
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Sounds like you have something introducing air into the system somewhere in your line.
Maybe he got lucky, and the section of pipe below his unit was not checked prior to install
Classic rat in closed loop system syndrome

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:44 AM   #19829
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Does builders lien apply to commercial?
It does but typically the the lien time will pass before you ever realize something's wrong especially when it comes to holdback. Now if you were working on a project and they haven't paid your last few draws you'll probably get ahead of it and lien it at the end.

That said my dad was in business for 25 years and only threatened to lien once didn't have to go through with it because they paid by his deadline. The company I'm with now has pretty deep pockets and the owner is more of a don't want to burn relationships kind of guy. If it was my company I'd sue everyone and anyone who didn't pay me every dime owed out of principal alone even if it cost me more in the end.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #19830
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Question on the first time home buyer incentives.

If I purchase a house with my common-law, can my partner still be a 'first time home buyer' if she goes out to buy a condo under her name?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #19831
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Question on the first time home buyer incentives.

If I purchase a house with my common-law, can my partner still be a 'first time home buyer' if she goes out to buy a condo under her name?
99% certain the answer is no.

https://www.placetocallhome.ca/fthbi...uyer-incentive

Says you're only eligible if you OR your partner are a first time home buyer.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #19832

If her name is on title whether its Joint Tenancy or Tenant in Common her First time home buyers and anything related should technically be void.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #19833
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
They found the source (apparently came from like a few floors above me). Caused a trickle effect down a couple units including mines. Finally heat back. Good thing there is hot water for hot showers while the heat was out of service.

Would you guys rather have no heat or no hot water LOL
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #19834
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
They found the source (apparently came from like a few floors above me). Caused a trickle effect down a couple units including mines. Finally heat back. Good thing there is hot water for hot showers while the heat was out of service.

Hot water for sure.
Can easily get a ceramic heater but no hot water is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #19835
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
99% certain the answer is no.

https://www.placetocallhome.ca/fthbi...uyer-incentive

Says you're only eligible if you OR your partner are a first time home buyer.
You can still get partial credit if one spouse is eligible but in this case a hard no if both names are on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #19836
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

I'd take hot water over heat any day. Imagine cold showers in weather like this, no thanks. At least with no heat, I can put on a jacket/sweater and deal with it.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #19837
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
I have questions about insulation in garages.

I have a standalone garage, I'm 99% sure it is not insulated. Since there's no heat in the garage does insulation help in a cold snap like this? Say for example it's -10C out, hopefully maybe with the residual heat from the cars it can be 5-8C instead? I do notice the water is not frozen and snow DOES melt in the garage so I'm guessing right now it's already not negative inside with no insulation.

Also does it would it trap heat or keep it out in the summer?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #19838
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I have questions about insulation in garages.

I have a standalone garage, I'm 99% sure it is not insulated. Since there's no heat in the garage does insulation help in a cold snap like this? Say for example it's -10C out, hopefully maybe with the residual heat from the cars it can be 5-8C instead? I do notice the water is not frozen and snow DOES melt in the garage so I'm guessing right now it's already not negative inside with no insulation.

Also does it would it trap heat or keep it out in the summer?
Any insulation should help with moderating temperatures inside the garage. If you're going to make the effort, you should probably put in at least R20. You should also look at replacing your door for one that has insulation or retrofitting insulation to your existing door. And if you have a window or two, you may need to upgrade that to a modern double-pane or perhaps triple-pane.

https://storeys.com/vancouver-averag...-million-2022/

Some predictions for the market in Metro Vancouver in 2022 including detached homes in the City of Vancouver passing the $2 million mark next year.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #19839
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Re: Garage Door

Old thread but somewhat related to your question.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/6956...r-openers.html

When I replaced my garage door, it made a HUGE difference in terms of insulation and whatnot. In the summer, the garage was boiling hot and in the winter it was freezing, basically rendering my garage unbearable to do anything inside (i.e. car or bike maintenance etc.) Since replacing the garage door, it's much more comfortable in there.

Take the time to speak to different vendors to get their input. My thread kind of walks you through my experience and whether to spot if a vendor is overselling you or underselling you.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #19840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Any insulation should help with moderating temperatures inside the garage. If you're going to make the effort, you should probably put in at least R20. You should also look at replacing your door for one that has insulation or retrofitting insulation to your existing door. And if you have a window or two, you may need to upgrade that to a modern double-pane or perhaps triple-pane.
I do have two windows, I don't plan on changing them but I might add some 3m window seal to it. I assume most garages are built with 2x6 R20 would be appropriate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Re: Garage Door

Old thread but somewhat related to your question.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/6956...r-openers.html

When I replaced my garage door, it made a HUGE difference in terms of insulation and whatnot. In the summer, the garage was boiling hot and in the winter it was freezing, basically rendering my garage unbearable to do anything inside (i.e. car or bike maintenance etc.) Since replacing the garage door, it's much more comfortable in there.

Take the time to speak to different vendors to get their input. My thread kind of walks you through my experience and whether to spot if a vendor is overselling you or underselling you.
Interesting about the garage door. It's something I was planning to do in the future but I don't have money right now. I didn't think there were insulated doors, maybe just sandwiched construction that would help the door not turn into an over element haha. I read your thread, so at the end, your remote ended up opening your neighbour's garage?

The thing with my garage door is it's two single doors and honestly I don't like parking in it as it's so tight. I was planning to convert it to a single large door in the future. It would be especially useful if we upgrade the X3 to a X5/Cayenne in the future.

About insulating the walls, maybe I need to back up a bit as well. I'm not sure if it was the last owners, or it was just built like that cause the builders were lazy, but they popcorned the WHOLE FUCKING THING. It's something that's driving me insane and I plan to either scrape/sand all the popcorn off or just replace the drywall. If I replace the drywall then I would add insulation since it's damn cold right now inside, and I know it'll get damn hot in the summer.

If the insulation isn't going to make a difference then I would just put in the labour and scrape and refinish the walls.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #19841
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Regarding the garage door remote, I think that was more of a garage opener manufacturer problem than an installation problem. Yes, the problem still exists and we couldn't figure it out even with the warranty so I'm thankful that my neighbour was understanding and we came to a mutual agreement to be vigilant about the garage doors. Crappy situation, but it is what it is.

Yes - there definitely are insulated doors on the market. My parents house is not a typical Vancouver Special. Most of the homes on our block were developed by a few developers so a few "cookie cutter" homes exist on the block and the single garage was bare bones: You have a few electrical outlets, a window, storage space up top and enough for most modern cars and SUVs (forget about a lifted truck or old school Cadillac.)

The original garage door was really meant to be used for industrial / commercial use and we only found out about that when we met with the vendors, but looking at other neighbours' garages, they have the same thing. I'm the odd ball out who ended up changing the garage door but it was out of a requirement than a necessity. Had I not changed the garage door, I probably never would have worked on my car, motorcycles, or bikes in there. It was so awful in there. The only time I ended up doing anything in the summer in there was to roast coffee but it caused my coffee to roast too fast and get ruined. That's how bad it was.

About two years ago, my parents bought some of the pink insulation stuff and installed it throughout the garage. I haven't been able to come back to visit them since the COVID pandemic but they've told me confidently it made a difference in terms of insulation in addition to the garage door change so the jury is still out there. My mom has a few tropical plants and she confidently puts it in there in the fall before moving it back into the house for winter.

If you're thinking of re-purposing your garage as something like an external office or man cave (or what have you) definitely consider replacing the garage door. It doesn't hurt to call few of the vendors in my thread to get a quote and their opinion, but know what it is that you want to do first and then think about it later.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #19842

The original intent was an aesthetic one, but it's one of those, since I'm going to get in there and do this work, why the hell not?

It won't be a man cave or anything but I would probably be doing some random work in the garage. Also a quality of life thing. Nothing is getting done right now but just starting my research and thinking about what can or should be done. The garage really needs to have all the reno stuff cleared out of it before I can even think about starting work.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #19843
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

BC Assessment for 2021 is out: https://www.bcassessment.ca/

My 60+ year old detached in E Van is up to $1.46M over previous assessment of $1.20M. Seems like 15-25% bumps for most properties... my parents' place in Coquitlam is up even more.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:54 PM   #19844
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
My place is up 34%, what the actual fuck.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2021, 09:57 PM   #19845
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
BC Assessment for 2021 is out: https://www.bcassessment.ca/

My 60+ year old detached in E Van is up to $1.46M over previous assessment of $1.20M. Seems like 15-25% bumps for most properties... my parents' place in Coquitlam is up even more.
Yeehaw, looks like we probably paid under assessed for our new place! My old place went up about 15% and we sold it for slightly over the assessed value in August so worked out well.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #19846

Assessment went up ~14% for us, but it's right around what we paid for it last year.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:28 PM   #19847

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,225 Posts
Fuck yeah, almost 200k in one year. Hope everyone not in the game learns to work harder and shut the fuck up. Stop buying avocado toast. Live in your parents basement and save. I got mine WOOOOOOO!!!!
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2021, 10:48 PM   #19848

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Just enough for a model x plaid in a year
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2021, 11:05 PM   #19849
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Up 230k figure I could sell about 400k over this assessed value
Old 12-31-2021, 11:13 PM   #19850
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
WTF, up 379k?! And increase in property taxes?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote