REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #19576
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
You can use Putty Packs to help maintain the STC at Electrical boxes.

Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #19577
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Does anyone know which techican I should contact to install ducting for a hood fan? HVAC?

It’s the recirculating type with microwave right now. I want to replace it and install a hood fan that exhaust to the outside.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #19578
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Does anyone know which techican I should contact to install ducting for a hood fan? HVAC?

It’s the recirculating type with microwave right now. I want to replace it and install a hood fan that exhaust to the outside.
HVAC guys. And if you're in a strata you will need approval to penetrate the building envelope.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #19579
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
HVAC guys. And if you're in a strata you will need approval to penetrate the building envelope.
Do HVAC guys also do bathroom exhaust fans?

Will need these installed for the house we are moving into soon. Not sure how easy it is to DIY as we have attic access.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #19580
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Both can be a DIY if you’ve got some idea lol
Old 10-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #19581

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post

Will need these installed for the house we are moving into soon. Not sure how easy it is to DIY as we have attic access.
If you are confident in your ability to cut a hole in the side of your house, or your roof. cut some drywall, run some ductwork and pull some wiring, then yes it can be DIY.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #19582
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:

They will do bathroom fans too. But DIY if you have attic access isn't too bad.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #19583
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
A plumber can do that also. You don't need HVAC.

edit. I should say, some plumbers an do that work.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #19584
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

I did a DIY bathroom fan install recently. I'm handy but a home DIY newbie, and it was totally doable in one afternoon.

This video:

...on installing a roof exhaust was really helpful for the most daunting part (cutting the hole in your roof, re-sealing it).

Hole saw bit from Princess Auto was $9.99 and aren't quality but did the job for cutting through the roof. I did this just before the crazy rain we had at the end of Sep/early Oct and it's held dry so far. Pretty happy with it, materials totalled about $250-300 inc. the vent, ducting, sealant, exhaust, etc.

I did put it on the same circuit as the bathroom ceiling light, which saved some work (and was the way I wanted it... certain household members don't turn on the fan when they really should), but if you want to install it on another switch that may be a little more research/work but should still be doable.

On a side note when I was a kid I used to get annoyed when my dad wanted to watch This Old House on the TV. Now I'm older and have a home, I love these guys' videos.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #19585

If you can vent the fan out the soffit like in the video that’s by far the easiest solution
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #19586
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
A plumber can do that also. You don't need HVAC.

edit. I should say, some plumbers an do that work.
Can confirm, shitter fitters do an excellent job of tin bashing

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:03 AM   #19587

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I did a DIY bathroom fan install recently. I'm handy but a home DIY newbie, and it was totally doable in one afternoon.

This video: This Old House

...on installing a roof exhaust was really helpful for the most daunting part (cutting the hole in your roof, re-sealing it).

Hole saw bit from Princess Auto was $9.99 and aren't quality but did the job for cutting through the roof. I did this just before the crazy rain we had at the end of Sep/early Oct and it's held dry so far. Pretty happy with it, materials totalled about $250-300 inc. the vent, ducting, sealant, exhaust, etc.

I did put it on the same circuit as the bathroom ceiling light, which saved some work (and was the way I wanted it... certain household members don't turn on the fan when they really should), but if you want to install it on another switch that may be a little more research/work but should still be doable.

On a side note when I was a kid I used to get annoyed when my dad wanted to watch This Old House on the TV. Now I'm older and have a home, I love these guys' videos.
Thanks for the helpful reply! I am also quite handy but have never had a house to be able to do this kind of stuff before. Drilling through the roof was definitely sketchy for me before this video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you can vent the fan out the soffit like in the video that’s by far the easiest solution
Lol the video starts off with saying how this is a bad idea.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 10-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #19588
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Lol the video starts off with saying how this is a bad idea.
To be fair HondaRacer never said it was a good solution, just the easiest...

I think if your soffits aren't vented (the aluminum type with holes throughout) it's alright to vent the bath fan out the soffit. Some houses have non-vented soffits, in which case it's probably fine as long as you're not venting it out near an intake vent. I think most homes in Vancouver have the aluminum vented soffits though, they seem to have been popular through the 60's-00's when most of our housing stock was built.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #19589

There's a balance between whats the best, and what works lol

frankly if your attic is properly ventilated, i dont think you'd have much of an issue in venting a bathroom fan directly into the attic, i've even considered it as its very hard for me to add any sort of venting. However, i dont have enough roof line vents to feel comfortable with it.

if you had a solid sofit i dont see an issue with a short run into some sort of flange installed in the soffit. Moisture would be all but contained and forced directly out

But it's up to you! lol dont take my word
Old 11-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #19590
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status...296041474?s=10 and https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status...481719810?s=20

Quote:
A decade ago, a truism in Vancouver real estate was Main Street was the dividing line for million dollar homes.

Right now, there isn't a detached home on dry land selling for under a million in all of Vancouver.

Or Burnaby. Or Richmond. Or Port Moody. Or the entire North Shore.
Quote:
Excluding Maple Ridge, there are 20 detached homes (dry land, non leasehold) available for under a million dollars IN ALL OF METRO VANCOUVER.

The old "just buy your first starter home in the suburbs" rejoinder by people denying the housing crisis doesn't even hold true anymore.
Nuts. Just nuts.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #19591

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,768 Posts
So apparently The NDP wants to bring in "cooling off" periods on resale homes:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8349939/b...ds-home-sales/
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #19592
Need to Seek Professional Help

A Cooling-off period would be great for buyers, but there are caveats. Traditionally, waiving subjects was seen as a way to strengthen your offer without competing on price. But if this is removed and all buyers are mandated a grace period, then the competition will solely be on price.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #19593
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
There's a balance between whats the best, and what works lol

frankly if your attic is properly ventilated, i dont think you'd have much of an issue in venting a bathroom fan directly into the attic, i've even considered it as its very hard for me to add any sort of venting. However, i dont have enough roof line vents to feel comfortable with it.

if you had a solid sofit i dont see an issue with a short run into some sort of flange installed in the soffit. Moisture would be all but contained and forced directly out

But it's up to you! lol dont take my word
My friend lived in a townhouse complex that vented into the attic. Huge mold problems for all the units within 5 years and lawsuits followed. He moved out shortly after.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #19594

Yea, I dealt with numerous cases of that mostly due to people not running bathroom fans

Townhouses are a little bit different with their attics but yea, I might feel comfortable with sonthing others wouldn’t lol..at least in a test case
Old 11-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #19595
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Quote:
but yea, I might feel comfortable with sonthing others wouldn’t lol..at least in a test case
Good to know... goooood to knowww...
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #19596
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
We started looking for a house last Sept to determine what we want in a house and what there are out there. It started getting serious in Feb of this year when we put in our first offer. Six offers later, we closed on a house 225k over asking, 335k over assessment. We put out townhouse up for sale shortly after and got the highest transaction price for our layout in the complex.

Then came renos...... We budgeted 110k and 3 months. 5 months later we moved in and the basement is still not done and we are sitting at around 200k worth of renos.

But we've moved in, our son LOOOOOOVES the place (he's two so he genuinely loves it).

We are just over 5 months since closing. I believe right now if I put the house on the market it's probably worth 30% more than what I paid(considering comparables), 20% if I took away the reno costs.

I never thought we would own and live in a house, neither did my wife, but here we are. We needed more space, but not this much more space.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #19597

We are just about to do the same. Started seriously for a detached house looking in early July this year, had about four failed offers until finally landed one in early October.

Listed our condo and it sold for highest 3 br in our neighborhood, $91k over asking that just had subjects removed earlier this week.

About to move in later this month, just some updates but no major renos to be move in ready.

Also never really thought we needed a house considering we are DINKs with two dogs, but wife wanted to get into detached market before it got too far out of reach. And we wanted the yard and outdoor living.

We were super lucky to get into our condo about 6 years ago with the appreciation, hoping it'll continue with our new home.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 11-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #19598
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
With the prices as they are, it's pretty easy to see why there are so many frustrated and bitter people out there. A typical professional 30-something couple with a 200K+ household income can't get much these days - perhaps an end unit townhome in a new subdivision.

We achieved detached home ownership before the age of 40, but we were pretty late to the game. If we hadn't lucked out last year and bought a really poorly marketed house, we probably would have lost our opportunity. A house like ours with a similar lot size literally sold last month for over 400K more than what we paid.

It's truly bonkers.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #19599
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
With the prices as they are, it's pretty easy to see why there are so many frustrated and bitter people out there. A typical professional 30-something couple with a 200K+ household income can't get much these days - perhaps an end unit townhome in a new subdivision.

We achieved detached home ownership before the age of 40, but we were pretty late to the game. If we hadn't lucked out last year and bought a really poorly marketed house, we probably would have lost our opportunity. A house like ours with a similar lot size literally sold last month for over 400K more than what we paid.

It's truly bonkers.
I'd argue that our house was showed poorly, and there were some weird quirks that made it less desirable. So I guess similar to your situation.

We had a checklist of things that we wanted, and we actually ended up forgoing a few of things to make this happen, our list was:
Rental basement - Yes
Two car garage - Yes
Driveway for 3rd car - Yes - 2 spots too!
5+ bed - Yes - 7 bed and actually a little too big

Move in ready - No
Radiant heat - No
9' ceilings - No
Quiet street - semi, it's quieter than being next to the skytrain.

We also learned a few things about reno'ing a house. We didn't do any soundproofing, and that was a mistake.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #19600

The main thing you learn with a Reno is that you never want to do it again lol