REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #19626
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Cars got bigger and bigger over the past 2 decades, but what changes have happened to parking stall sizes?
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #19627
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,912 Posts
That sounds infuriating, a terrible parking spot would totally ruin the new home experience. Afterall, you avg having to get in and out once a day. So in these new condos, there isn't really any 'good' parking spots. You are either beside a pole or in the middle. I generally see spots in three's.

Last edited by whitev70r; 11-12-2021 at 07:24 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #19628
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
You're not alone, my first mortgage was 5.7% on a 5 year term. I was young and just wanted steady payments, didn't even understand how high that rste was.
Same, for our first mortgage, my wife wanted to be able to sleep at night not having to worry about changing interest rates.

Now we know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #19629

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Bummer on the spot. I also had a small car spot at my condo and for most years it was ok but just before I moved out the owner of the spot next to me got himself a FJ Cruiser and it was impossible for him to not cross over into my spot. He was generally good enough to park on the street but sometimes he could find anything and parked next to me.
Similar thing happened to my wife. 3 spots in a row and we get the middle spot that is the only small car spot. Next to us, the owner of a Mazda 3, who couldn't park properly to save his life, would always be on the line.
Didn't bother us too much as the owner of the spot on the other side never parked their car there till one day it started being used.
And that new car would always park close to the line because the other side was the fence and gate.

Every day I would hear the wife complain about how hard it was to park her CRV because of those 2 cars.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #19630
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Infuriating parking in your new condo
L o L

God dam, life is just a disaster in Vancouver

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #19631
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,460 Times in 5,118 Posts
You pay fricking half-mill plus for something you expect to be able to at least park your car dude.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #19632
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
unless you're in vancouver, then they expect you to skytrain, walk, or bike

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #19633

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
You pay fricking half-mill plus for something you expect to be able to at least park your car dude.
Well, I paid 1.1m for a duplex 6 years ago and couldn't park the my car (a TSX) in the garage b/c of how small it was and how steep the ramp to get in with (I scraped). A combination of shitty builder and bad zoning regulations.

I rarely see people who live in duplexes park their cars in their garages - some are using it for storage - but most aren't able to get their cars in with the 8' wide doors and barely 9' wide insides (mine was just over 17' long).
Old 11-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #19634

Quote:
Well, I paid 1.1m for a duplex 6 years ago and couldn't park the my car (a TSX) in the garage b/c of how small it was and how steep the ramp to get in with (I scraped). A combination of shitty builder and bad zoning regulations.

I rarely see people who live in duplexes park their cars in their garages - some are using it for storage - but most aren't able to get their cars in with the 8' wide doors and barely 9' wide insides (mine was just over 17' long).
We looked at a duplex and that was it. The garage was so narrow, the owners had styrofoam on the walls to prevent the doors from hitting the walls.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #19635
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Almost every house I ever walk by that has the garage door open, the garage is just full on hoarder status junk storage. I get so mad, cause all I really want that I don’t have is a garage for all my tools and to be able to go dick around with my car whenever I feel like it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #19636

Does anyone have a recommendation or any insight on getting a hoist installed?

My garage has a 20 ft ceiling, only down side is the garage door might be in the way.
I would like to install a hoist so that I can work on my shitvic.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #19637

Even in new townhomes, the garage is so narrow that passenger has to get out first, mirrors folded, and just enough for driver to get out. And then tandem parking!
Old 11-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #19638
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

My garage has a 20 ft ceiling, only down side is the garage door might be in the way.
Concrete thickness is a concern for the big
Lifts. If you want unlimited height, install a rolling garage door. Otherwise you’ll be stuck to a certain height.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #19639

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Concrete thickness is a concern for the big
Lifts. If you want unlimited height, install a rolling garage door. Otherwise you’ll be stuck to a certain height.
Thanks.

I am trying to convince the wife that we need a new garage door.
Current door is 17 years old, doesn't look bad but it will need to be replaced soon.

How thick does the floor need to be for a hoist?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #19640
I STILL don't get it

a 2 post bendpak will need thicker concrete with rebar
https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/co...-requirements/

The concrete thickness requirement and cost for a 4 post is less
ssjGoku69 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #19641
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

Look into liftmaster jackshaft mounted opener, then you can raise the door to the ceiling. Roll up doors are generally less insulated. My 2 post has 10” thick rebar concrete which is overkill. I would like to add a 4 post behind the 2 post so I can store a car against the ceiling and still have room underneath to drive to the 2 post. 4 post you can move around if you need to. For my uses I would actually prefer a 4 post 80% of the time. You can get Supports to raise the wheels if you need.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #19642
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Speaking from the POV of a strata council, there is little if anything the council can do to help with changing a parking spot. Changing a spot involves a lot of paperwork and the spots are filed with the land title office. You'd have to get a notary involved, etc etc. The strata doesn't assign parking and the strata can't move spots around.

The developer is the best bet if they are willing to play ball at this early stage of move ins. If not, then your only other option is make an arrangement with another resident. You could rent a spot from someone else and then rent your spot to someone else and maybe break even each month.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #19643
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Speaking from the POV of a strata council, there is little if anything the council can do to help with changing a parking spot. Changing a spot involves a lot of paperwork and the spots are filed with the land title office. You'd have to get a notary involved, etc etc. The strata doesn't assign parking and the strata can't move spots around.

The developer is the best bet if they are willing to play ball at this early stage of move ins. If not, then your only other option is make an arrangement with another resident. You could rent a spot from someone else and then rent your spot to someone else and maybe break even each month.
I initially emailed strata manager yesterday and then read 6thgear post about strata can't do anything since it's the developer that owns the spots. Sent an email this morning to the developer to outline my reasons why I would like to request for a bigger spot, and even offered to pay administration fee (crossing fingers since we've only started taking possession a few days ago). Also not all units were sold, so I know there is luck out there to swap still (I'm hoping).

No resident would want my spot since it's "small" car spot LOL and it's at the lower level too.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #19644
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
When I moved into a newly built pre sale over 3 years ago the 2 things I was afraid of most were shitty ass neighbours/strata and a terrible parking spot because I knew neither would be in my control and could make living there a really shitty time.

Thankfully I lucked out on both but not everyone did in regards to parking. We had 60 parking spots (each unit assigned 1) and something like 5 visitor spots. I requested at the time of purchase to give me a good spot and whether that helped or not I don't know but I definitely got like the top 3 in spots. Also for sure it was randomly assigned because some of the other best spots were assigned to 1 bedrooms while some 3 bedroom people got shitty ass spots. The people who got assigned "small car" spots really got the shaft hard though. They were 2-3 spots in a row between pillars and like others mentioned there's practically no way everyone can fit their car in and get out if they had even a regular size car. So I joined Strata council from day 1 and the solution we came up with (won't work for all buildings) is our took away the visitor spots and unofficially assigned them to people who were affected.

So for example for spot #1-3 we told the person who had #2 that their new unofficial spot was Visitor parking #1. So now the 2 households that were assigned spot #1 and #3 get to park their 2 vehicles in essentially 3 parking spots. All the visitor spots btw were regular sized spots not small car spots. Based on the number of visitor spots we had and the number of people affected it worked out perfectly. Yea it's all unofficial but it has worked and everyone is happy.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #19645
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
Does the developer own the spots? I thought they were limited common property? Aka the strata owns them. Problem is, you all do. Lol. Time to start making 269 Christmas presents along with reimbursing every unit for whatever the associated costs are. Long story short, it’s not going to happen unless you have something against regulation.

When negotiating a presale I negotiate my parking spots. Probably not able to do so in this rape and pillage type of market. Helps to have a connected realtor with the developer.

The only way I could see getting a spot changed were if there were any unsold unit, or unassigned spots. Or switching directly with another unit. All those options require expensive paperwork.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 11-12-2021 at 12:44 PM.
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #19646

Whatever solution ... sounds like a huge PIA! In pre-sale, I think they should also have a map of parking spots and let you pick one as you purchase ... first come first serve.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #19647
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Whatever solution ... sounds like a huge PIA! In pre-sale, I think they should also have a map of parking spots and let you pick one as you purchase ... first come first serve.
Those spots go to the VIP pre-sale buyer who isn’t going to use the spot anyways
Old 11-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #19648
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:

I am not really understanding this -- if it is a duplex unit, why make the garage so small? If I were the duplex builder, how can I sell a unit with a non-functional / barely functional parking spot? It isn't like I have to jam in all these parking spots into this available space...

1 functional parking spot -- in the garage for a duplex. You'll be paying at least $1.5M for that right now? And the freaking garage is non-functional...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #19649
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am not really understanding this -- if it is a duplex unit, why make the garage so small? If I were the duplex builder, how can I sell a unit with a non-functional / barely functional parking spot? It isn't like I have to jam in all these parking spots into this available space...

1 functional parking spot -- in the garage for a duplex. You'll be paying at least $1.5M for that right now? And the freaking garage is non-functional...
If I'm spending this kinda money and don't even have a decent size functional garage where I can open both sides of my car doors, I rather live with my parents and be called a momma's boy (grown up ass adult) LOL. Rather be called that than fork out $1M+
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #19650

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Technically it's a triplex (2 in the front, coach house in the back) so it was a 41 ft wide lot that needed 3 garages. Minimum side yard on such a lot is 4' on each side so you're left with 33 ft for the garages. Best case scenario once you account for the walls (2 exterior 6-8" walls, 2 interior 4" walls) is 31 ft for parking but in this case it was a corner lot so the setback on the street facing side of the coach house needed to be larger by a few feet so now there's only 28' left on interior space so ~9'4" per garage.

But my particular case isn't unusual - every duplex built in the Norquay-Collingwood area (RT-11 zoning) is like this (I'm a snoop and go by every unit while it's under construction). Reasons why this is the case are:

- There's a minimum amount of surface area that has to be permeable on a lot (grass/gravel) so the bigger the garage the smaller the house can be depending on lot size.
- To allow for a legal suite you must have a parking spot (inside or outside). To fit that in on a 33' lot requires a garage that is no wider than ~21 ft on the outside meaning it's. It's not till you hit a 45' wide lot that the garage will be a reasonable width.

In my new neighbourhood (Central Park) this is also not uncommon even for detached houses - most of the ones I've walked by look like they have pretty small garages (they're attached and at the front) and I see a lot of minivans and 3 row SUVs parked outside. It's 8' doors and what I'd guess are 10' wide garages. My builder wasn't a loser so I'm lucky, mine is a 9' door with 12' inside the walls.

Zoning rules on garages are stupid - understandably a lot of people use it for storage but when it's used for cars they are horribly designed.

And yeah, I sold my duplex with the non-functional garage for over $1.5m so yeah

Last edited by supafamous; 11-13-2021 at 07:15 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: