REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #20476
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,407 Times in 5,676 Posts
You know that franklin one was just overflowing with garbage and crap prior to the listing photos. No work ever done besides emergency maintenance etc. lol
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #20477
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Lol saw the pics of the franklin one and immediately knew what it'd smell like.

Back to high school days chilling at my buddy's house with hisom/por por hard at work brewing something in the kitchen
Old 01-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #20478
in the butt

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

I dunno about that first listing...... It has 4 8's in it
It's either gotta be 3, or 6

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #20479
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
They'll probably get something around those list prices and we'll see a duplex pop up asking $2m each side lol.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #20480
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,185 Times in 968 Posts
https://twitter.com/stevesaretsky/st...525024256?s=21

Quote:
The Bank of Canada says an increase in supply is desperately needed to restore balance to the housing market.

I can assure you, a lot of supply would suddenly surface with much higher interest rates.
I agree a tonne with the first line and only sorta agree with the second - I think this is nearly all a supply problem - too many people want a home and there are simply not enough homes.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #20481
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,044 Posts
Mainly only applies to Vancouver and Toronto though, I don't think Calgary Edmonton or Regina are that insane.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #20482
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
If we're ever going to get out of this mess, the city needs to embrace density. And with density comes shitty parking. It's a fact. But density is inevitable and if we keep avoiding it, we're only going to get more and more fucked around housing affordability.

The City of North Van took on the idea of gentle density back in 2014 and since they they've converted hundreds of single family lots into townhomes and condos. And yeah, the parking in the neighbourhood sucks now. But the area itself is great. Tons of young families, a wonderful park/playground and green space, water views and super easy access to transit including rapid bus.

So yeah it's not so bad. Get on with it. So that our kids will have a fighting chance to afford a place and live in the city.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #20483
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
True, some parts are worse than others. I lived on the south side closer to 41st and most of those streets had tonnes of parking available while the north side (north of Kingsway) is much more crowded - streets like Duke tend to be packed.
Duke Street being packed is an understatement.

It's going to be an absolute gong show once those two low rise apartments are up and running.

One thing I found kind of funny is the single detached home that's wedged between the two low rise apartment buildings.

Then across the street another town house development I believe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #20484
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Isn't this the guy who didn't like duplex +.laneway concept when he came to the office?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #20485
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,410 Times in 3,477 Posts
Looking at records of a house I bought in 2016.

Quote:
4/15/2016 Sold C$372,600 (+20.6%) C$249/sqft
Source: Public Record
3/10/2016 Sold C$309,300 (+6.2%) C$207/sqft
Source: Public Record
5/2/2013 Sold C$291,000 C$195/sqft
The guy I bought it off made 60K in less than a month. Something seems fishy.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #20486
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Vancouver's new proposal is going to destroy Vancouver proper as we know it.

Their streets are tiny. Even major arteries such as Granville/Oak/Knight are tiny. If you had a truck in the middle lane, those who are on the side better hold their steering wheel tight because there's little to no room for error. You now inject twice the population, the street and traffic are going to be a mess.

Instead of making something so drastic, as I said in previous messages, they need to loose EVERYTHING as long as the infrastructure can support it. Then work on infrastructures. If there's no viable option to widen them, then find an area... say areas near PNE or all the light industrial zone just under the bridges... consolidate them (as there would be much fewer landowners to deal with) and design everything from scratch.

Every major world-class city has gone through similar remodel arrangements. (Manhattan when they built the Central Park and areas around it, Shanghai built Pudong... etc) I think it's time for Vancouver proper to start planning a mega project that's all new and not limited by old rules.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 PM   #20487
in the butt

60k assuming no realtors, legal fees, and mortgage discharge were involved

Who's to say he didn't Reno x and y before you bought it, or just just flipped it to the next sucker as is

Alot of those records are not correct, I know my neighbor sold his condo in 2018, worth around 450k, and x months later, it showed up as sold for 350k. Maybe a tax loophole, realtor input error, or who knows what

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #20488
in the butt

On the topic of city planning

Being a city planner, is one of the most complex jobs on earth, some people don't even know about this title.
It's simply impossible to account for all x y and z's when trying to address something like zoning

Any of you who are into videogames on PC, go play city skylines, and you will understand a fraction, of how complex it is to "plan" a well built city, that makes everyone's wishes happy.

When you change one thing, making a house into a 6plex, this snowballs into parking issues, that snowballs into traffic > longer commute times > slowed good deliveries > slower construction times > housing supply drops > renters rampage due to low availability and higher rents > small businesses suffer due to less spending from renters > businesses close > some people lose their jobs > then they complain about high housing costs

Above as an example obviously, I never thought about any of that shit until I played the above videogame

This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #20489
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,410 Times in 3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
60k assuming no realtors, legal fees, and mortgage discharge were involved

Who's to say he didn't Reno x and y before you bought it, or just just flipped it to the next sucker as is

Alot of those records are not correct, I know my neighbor sold his condo in 2018, worth around 450k, and x months later, it showed up as sold for 350k. Maybe a tax loophole, realtor input error, or who knows what
Zero reno's. We had told the owners multiple times and even sent realtors to house saying we would buy it but they did not want to sell. Then the husband died. I just hope the widow did not get scammed. She could of just knocked on our door and we would have bought it without any agents.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:40 PM   #20490
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,888 Times in 914 Posts
Quote:

Being a city planner, is one of the most complex jobs on earth, some people don't even know about this title.
It's simply impossible to account for all x y and z's when trying to address something like zoning

Any of you who are into videogames on PC, go play city skylines, and you will understand a fraction, of how complex it is to "plan" a well built city, that makes everyone's wishes happy.

When you change one thing, making a house into a 6plex, this snowballs into parking issues, that snowballs into traffic > longer commute times > slowed good deliveries > slower construction times > housing supply drops > renters rampage due to low availability and higher rents > small businesses suffer due to less spending from renters > businesses close > some people lose their jobs > then they complain about high housing costs

Above as an example obviously, I never thought about any of that shit until I played the above videogame
That's why I build sewage dams, give them some real shit to be unhappy about.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #20491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Isn't this the guy who didn't like duplex +.laneway concept when he came to the office?
No, that wasn't him. While I think he's a shitty mayor he has always been for more density.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 AM   #20492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Vancouver's new proposal is going to destroy Vancouver proper as we know it.

Their streets are tiny. Even major arteries such as Granville/Oak/Knight are tiny. If you had a truck in the middle lane, those who are on the side better hold their steering wheel tight because there's little to no room for error. You now inject twice the population, the street and traffic are going to be a mess.
Oh please, let's skip the fear mongering. We're talking 2000 houses that are little more than mini-apartment buildings that only adds 2 living units to the current zoning. Most lots already have 2-3 units on them.

Vancouver proper has a population density of 5,400/sq km, Metro Van is at 900/sq km.

For reference here are the densest cities in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

By the time Vancouver has a chance to turn into a hellscape we'll be under water.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #20493
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,552 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:

Just start lowering taxes until the people are happy, do what you need to do, then jack the taxes back up!
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #20494
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Oh please, let's skip the fear mongering. We're talking 2000 houses that are little more than mini-apartment buildings that only adds 2 living units to the current zoning. Most lots already have 2-3 units on them.

Vancouver proper has a population density of 5,400/sq km, Metro Van is at 900/sq km.

For reference here are the densest cities in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

By the time Vancouver has a chance to turn into a hellscape we'll be under water.
I know my math sucks, but let's say regular street holds 10 house lots on one side. Say each lot parks 2 cars out in front on the street (20 cars). With this new zoning, it will allow more units on the lots. Say we even conservatively add an extra 10-15 cars additional, don't really think parking is sustainable. Just gonna be parking wars lol. Of course not all streets are like this and not everyone is going to be building 6 units onto their lots. Some streets are already packed to begin with.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #20495
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
God I couldn't imagine having one of those sixplex monstrosities next to and looming over me
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #20496
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,748 Times in 906 Posts
That's why they are taxing parking or pay parking. ??? Profit soon we can start selling parking spots for $500k like HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I know my math sucks, but let's say regular street holds 10 house lots on one side. Say each lot parks 2 cars out in front on the street (20 cars). With this new zoning, it will allow more units on the lots. Say we even conservatively add an extra 10-15 cars additional, don't really think parking is sustainable. Just gonna be parking wars lol. Of course not all streets are like this and not everyone is going to be building 6 units onto their lots. Some streets are already packed to begin with.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #20497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
How bad parking is really varies by neighbourhood even if they have the same number of houses and the same number of people living there b/c it depends on things like walkability (lots of shops nearby), transit (lots of buses/skytrain nearby), and then on the life situation (have kids, retired, WFH etc).

My in-laws block (Fraser/41st right behind the Church's Chicken) has 15 houses on each size at 33' a pop so about 500ft of parking on both sides and figure you need 20' per car so you can park 25 cars on each side so already we don't have enough. Every house there has a minimum of 1 suite with a few having 2 suites (laneway) - that's somewhere between 60-75 families living on that block. (I can get parking every time I go visit either directly in front or directly across the street.)

The city is going to allow 2,000 of these 6 unit homes (we have a bit less than 40,000k SFH lots last I checked) so 1 out of every 20 houses could get converted - for this block let's say it's 2 of these six-plexes which means we add a maximum of 8 new families on that block bringing the family count up to a max of 83 or so families. If there's no parking requirement for the six-plex then worst case it's 12 more cars for that block - if they put 3 parking spots in each (what can fit for a 33' lot) then it's 6 more cars. My in-laws street can handle 6 cars no problem.

BUT...how fast will these homes show up?

If we use the laneway home adoption rate then we'll see about 1% adoption per year which means it'll take 10 years before they get them all built. So worst case it'll take 10 years to add 16,000 cars to our streets.

I bet it's no more than 4,000 more cars b/c most of these homes will be close to transit, be in walkable areas, and b/c the units are small most won't be car owners.

I think we can handle 4,000 more cars in the next 10 years in Vancouver.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #20498

https://biv.com/article/2017/01/car-...city-vancouver

A bit more data on car ownership...

~270,000 cars registered in Vancouver
~670,000 people living in Vancouver
~26% of people in Vancouver had a car share subscription (likely no car)

I'd have to dig a bit further into the data but I don't think we can automatically assume that 1 unit of housing = 1 car especially when it comes to smaller units. We can assume larger homes (especially on the West side) will have more than 1 per housing unit but as income drops and you get into denser transit friendly areas it's going to be less than 1 car per housing unit.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #20499
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,055 Times in 1,930 Posts
I do think that reality will force people's behaviour change. If it requires someone driving around the block 15x's trying to find a parking space on the street, then eventually, people will transit or use car share programs, or move, or don't rent there, or if you HAVE to use a car, then don't buy in one of these multi family complexes.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #20500
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,622 Times in 5,179 Posts
Well I am not doing the statisticians any favour with 8 cars and a motorcycle registered under my name... it's so bad when the autoplan guy puts my license in and it brings up my list he goes "Whoa" out loud and gets worried I don't remember which one is which plate wise hahaha
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: