REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #21751
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If the amount of “extra” yard work a corner lot provides is a turn off between a non-corner lot, I got some news for ya, a detached home is probably over your head lol
I need the biggest yard you have.
No that’s too big.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #21752
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Old 04-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #21753
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,282 Times in 1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
He got ahead because he works his ass off. He worked 6 days a week from sun up to sun down as a roofer. While idiots spend all day complaining about JT and attending protests every weekend.

White privilege has made some people lazy.
Easy there, Socrates...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #21754

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Pretty fuckin hot take there.
Have a look at where he’d be if he worked his ass off starting in 2019 as a roofer and I assure you he wouldn’t even be able to look at a one bedroom condo until 2030.
This. People need to stop posting stupid stories about their folks "hustling hard" in the 70's/80's and being able to buy a place, that has literally no resonance on today's climate.

We just came back from Phoenix yesterday and I was speaking with a late 60-something retiree from Vancouver, the topic of housing came up -- he was a professor at UBC, friend of a friends.

The man had such an honest take on the idea that his generation should acknowledge and recognize how lucky and privileged they were to be in the right place at the right time circumstance wise. He described how much he hated hearing his boomer friends on the golf course talking about younger folks needing to pull up their bootstraps and simply "work harder" to achieve what they did. It's such an indignant and disingenuous take on a real problem.

Needless to say it was refreshing to see someone so well-established carry such an honest opinion on the subject, one that I don't hear that often from his generation.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #21755
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This. People need to stop posting stupid stories about their folks "hustling hard" in the 70's/80's and being able to buy a place, that has literally no resonance on today's climate.

We just came back from Phoenix yesterday and I was speaking with a late 60-something retiree from Vancouver, the topic of housing came up -- he was a professor at UBC, friend of a friends.

The man had such an honest take on the idea that his generation should acknowledge and recognize how lucky and privileged they were to be in the right place at the right time circumstance wise. He described how much he hated hearing his boomer friends on the golf course talking about younger folks needing to pull up their bootstraps and simply "work harder" to achieve what they did. It's such an indignant and disingenuous take on a real problem.

Needless to say it was refreshing to see someone so well-established carry such an honest opinion on the subject, one that I don't hear that often from his generation.
My mom has no disillusion that we aren't working hard enough, she knows they had it easy and regrets not taking more risks with their money. Dad was too conservative about things.

She's pushed hard for us to buy a house and said we should have bought a house when we bought the townhouse. We were just simply not in the right financial place to buy a house, nevermind that at that stage of life I had no desires to own a SFH. I wasn't even sure I wanted kids at that point.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #21756

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Mike I think it’s the perfect example of how someone like a professor, who’s around a demographic it affects so often would carry that opinion. It’s just like people in small towns with only white folks end up racist. People really lack empathy for those they aren’t around and fall into that tribalism mentality whether it’s socioeconomic, race or otherwise. Certainly not everyone, as some people just “get it” but the majority of people have shown that they don’t.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #21757
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Modern problems require modern solutions. Unfortunately "hard work" isn't a solution when all the hard workers are exploited by the rich, investors, REITs, etc. capitalism is just starting to look like new age feudalism now.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #21758
Need to Seek Professional Help

The modern solution (which is the same as the old solution) is to move to another place that provides greater opportunity.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #21759
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
https://www.rew.ca/properties/402058...e-vancouver-bc

I'm loving this layout.

They have a proper foyer, the powder room on the main floor is tucked away so guests have privacy when they use the toilet, there's a mudroom for the back entrance, laundry on the bedroom level, and my all time favourite... the toilet in the master washroom is separate. It would be nicer if they had one more full bathroom though.

The design/theme is to be desired for me, but I love the layout of this place.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #21760

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
https://www.rew.ca/properties/402058...e-vancouver-bc

I'm loving this layout.

They have a proper foyer, the powder room on the main floor is tucked away so guests have privacy when they use the toilet, there's a mudroom for the back entrance, laundry on the bedroom level, and my all time favourite... the toilet in the master washroom is separate. It would be nicer if they had one more full bathroom though.

The design/theme is to be desired for me, but I love the layout of this place.
Not bad! Interesting that there are 4 levels in total... Only drawback is that you can't rent any part of it out, but in that neighbourhood (MacKenzie Heights), it shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #21761
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
It looks like things are slowing down... seeing longer days on market for many properties.

Return to the office, interest rates and inflation, millennials tapped out...?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #21762
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It looks like things are slowing down... seeing longer days on market for many properties.

I'd say all of the above and more places on the market so more selection for buyers to choose from.
Going to be interesting to see how things go in the next few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #21763
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Sorry or you're welcome for the market slow down guys, I was about to list my place

Various agents were confident that I'd be able to fetch about 850k for my place 2 months ago in a matter of days. There's two similar sized townhouses in my complex that have been sitting on the market for 15 days at 699k
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:26 PM   #21764

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Sorry or you're welcome for the market slow down guys, I was about to list my place

Various agents were confident that I'd be able to fetch about 850k for my place 2 months ago in a matter of days. There's two similar sized townhouses in my complex that have been sitting on the market for 15 days at 699k
Just curious why you're selling?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #21765
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Maybe I'm getting older and start to lack patience with people or idiots in general. Was reading an article of this young couple couldn't afford to buy in the city, so they bought a vacation home and rented it out. Money from there (investment) will eventually be used to fund their main home purchase one-day. See comments of people saying they aren't helping the problem we are facing and that they are the problem. Like WTF do you want people to do? Like save enough before they buy?.....

Ain't no different if your boss gave you a pay raise, then turns around and jacks up prices of their products/services to consumers to cover your raise. Are you gonna be like "noooo, i don't want the pay raise as I don't wanna add to the society issues of higher cost of living".

Seems like these assclowns that bitch on news article posted on FB are the ones that are haters, and can't afford shit as all do they do is spending their time doing shit that adds no value.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #21766

@Euro7r

I feel like i'm the same way. My patience is almost at zero these days and I feel like i'm getting grumpier... I don't think that's a good thing though.

My wife says I lack empathy.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #21767
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Seems like investors/flippers might be exiting the market, that's when you'll start to see prices trend down.

And it seems like not only will buyers have to deal with higher rates in the coming months but lending in general might be tighten...

Quote:
Canada’s bank regulator is getting its ducks in a row after a routine audit to assess financial system risk. The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) published its first Annual Risk Outlook last week. The report covers systemic risks to the system, including a home price crash. Amongst the issues uncovered was mortgage income verification and over-leveraged borrowers. OSFI plans to address the risks in the next few weeks, likely meaning tighter lending.
Canada’s Bank Regulator Questions Mortgages, False Incomes Is “Common”

Mortgage loan underwriting risks are common, according to the agency. For those unaware, underwriting is the process to ensure a quality loan. This includes income verification, checking assets and debt, and property details. Bad underwriting is a disaster waiting to happen during risk periods.

“Recent supervisory reviews identified several common issues around underwriting, specifically income verification in areas that have been raised as being problematic in the past including business for self, rentals, exceptions to income sustainability as well as collateral management.” read the report.

In other words, incomes may have been inflated to obtain more leverage. It was a dry way of wording it, but this is a big problem whether it persists or if there’s a crackdown. If it was really common, this would see investors (the largest segment of borrowers) dry up fast.
Extending Prudential Regulation To Other Products

Non-traditional mortgage products are becoming very common and may require further regulation. Reverse mortgages, shared equity, and combined loan plans (CLPs) are becoming popular. The regulator cites the popularity of these formerly niche products as an area that needs stronger rules. B-20 Guidelines, which ensure quality underwriting, may be extended to other areas soon.

CLPs may be a bigger issue than the public knows, considering the frequency mentioned. These combine a mortgage and a home equity line of credit (HELOC) into one product. By doing this, borrowers see their HELOC credit limit rise with each payment. OSFI has previously cited CLPs as a valuation risk, believing it hides distress.
Mortgage Stress Test Rate May Rise This Winter

The mortgage stress test is another issue OSFI cites as a concern these days. Uninsured mortgages are “stress tested” with a minimum qualifying rate (MQR). The MQR is currently 5.25% or the contract rate plus 2 points, whichever is higher. That is, a borrower needs to qualify for a mortgage at the higher of the two regardless of what they’ll pay.

As the overnight rate is forecast to climb nearly 2 points in a year, the MQR may need a revision. The next planned MQR announcement date is on December 15, 2022 — about seven months from now.

Remember, risk takes care of itself while prices are rising. A homeowner is unlikely to default in a market where they can sell a home within days of an emergency. Additional equity also makes it easier to cover distress, like with CLP mortgages. Only when the bid dries up do real valuations become apparent, in a non-stimulus market. That can be considerably lower than right now.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #21768
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post

Seems like these assclowns that bitch on news article posted on FB are the ones that are haters, and can't afford shit as all do they do is spending their time doing shit that adds no value.
Delete your Facebook account, or run messenger only

Your own IQ will increase by 9000 overnight, simply by not reading cringy fb articles started by vegan flat earther antivax mouth breathers, supported by a herd of their inbreeds

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #21769
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Delete your Facebook account, or run messenger only

Your own IQ will increase by 9000 overnight, simply by not reading cringy fb articles started by vegan flat earther antivax mouth breathers, supported by a herd of their inbreeds

The first cringey article I see:

https://www.facebook.com/15446366794...8605653195854/

And the comments.. facepalm.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 06:05 PM   #21770
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
In my friends groups through WeChat and stuff there are a LOT of so-called “distress sales” being posted now for condos but if you do the math they’re not distress sales at all, they’re still selling for flipper profits but trying to garner more attention by calling it a distress to get people looking. Not the best sign in the world for people looking to continue profiting.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 07:10 PM   #21771
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
^ hopefully a good sign for people looking to just "live" instead.

Quote:

699k clearly trying to entice a bidding war which aren't happening anymore. I have bid on 4 places in the last 6 months and originally had to compete with 8-10 offers, now we're only battling 1-2 people max.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #21772
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Just curious why you're selling?
Life crumbled into the shitter lol. Bought it in the peak in 2016, as I thought I'd have a family to fill it with by now but that didn't work out. So my forever alone ass doesn't need a 3-bed townhouse because coming home to an empty house sucks + I think my time in this city (Coquitlam) and the lower mainland is done. Grateful that I managed to have it paid off but money really means fuck all without a greater purpose and just buying shit isn't a purpose. Life is short boys & girls, enjoy your time with your loved ones...

/lifestory /liferant
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #21773

Quote:
Life crumbled into the shitter lol. Bought it in the peak in 2016, as I thought I'd have a family to fill it with by now but that didn't work out. So my forever alone ass doesn't need a 3-bed townhouse because coming home to an empty house sucks + I think my time in this city (Coquitlam) and the lower mainland is done. Grateful that I managed to have it paid off but money really means fuck all without a greater purpose and just buying shit isn't a purpose. Life is short boys & girls, enjoy your time with your loved ones...

/lifestory /liferant
Damn. I'm sorry life hasn't worked out the way you wanted it. Having any real estate in BC paid off is quite the accomplishment, you should totally be proud of that.

Where do you think you'll go?
Old 04-25-2022, 09:38 PM   #21774

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Not sure if first world problem, $850 for 3 bed town house sounds real cheap.

But yea I feel like prices peaked a bit late Feb right before Putin started the war and rates went up. I think ppl are holding off right now as Coronas isn't real, you can flee communist Canada now and there's that cooling thing coming up. I think ppl are just waiting it out to see what happens. I doubt existing home owners are hurting to sell. If prices ain't favourable there's no point to sell and what are you gonna rebuy.

I was talking to a realtor today and he said things are sitting on the market for longer but it's cuz there's more listings. He said realtors are already coming up with ways to skip the cool down policy
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2022, 12:35 AM   #21775
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
rb dude… glass half full I hope it’s not health issues but if it’s just a damn relationship broke down (kind of sounds like it) it will pass with time even you didn’t think it will… it’s not an empty home it’s a sweet pad with a garage you can do whatever you want, have a games room, etc… half the guys on this forum probably wish they had that situation including the ones with kids etc.

Don’t get too hung up on what could have been, it’s just an opportunity to do even better once you dust yourself off a bit.

Fully support new beginnings though if that revitalizes you!! Hope everything works out for the best.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote