REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #7451
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
skype/facetime can only do so much once your parents starts getting old

cultural differences i guess
agreed, i've found my sweet spot in knowing my brothers/sisters take care of my parents, and i'm in town about 8 weeks a year giving my full time with them.

you make it work. i'm fortunate enough to have a great family who goes with the flow.
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #7452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Comes into thread for 5 years or so bashing vancouver saying his utopia city in europe destroys vancouver yet wont EVER say where he actually is living now so that people can pull real numbers to ever compare.
seriously, you want to know just to try to disprove me?

my basket of goods, my career, my better quality of life - you can't disprove this... but then again, most people on here (as has been stated, fairly), both are unwilling to move away and would not be able to easily move legally. I am fortunate to be holding a passport that lets me live in Europe

My point is this - look outside of your comfort zone, whether it is living in Vancouver, or other things - if you step outside what you know, you'll live a more fulfilling life.

perhaps you make coin in Vancouver, or have super rich parents, or are content with what you have knowing what else is out there, but blind faith is just lazy! but stepping out of one's comfort zone is hard work, most people don't like hard work.

also, just know that all the things most people bang on about loving Vancouver for - they're available in other places. don't be fooled into thinking Vancouver's the only place for this, that, or the other.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #7453
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I believe dude mentioned he's living in UK a few times.
Nope.
He mentioned he once lived in the UK, but isn't now.
He's only said he is somewhere in Europe that speaks english but he never outright said he is in the UK.

Not that it really matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #7454
I don't get it

Clean air, no bomb threats, any sport u want to do within an hour of where u live. Go ahead show me that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
seriously, you want to know just to try to disprove me?

my basket of goods, my career, my better quality of life - you can't disprove this... but then again, most people on here (as has been stated, fairly), both are unwilling to move away and would not be able to easily move legally. I am fortunate to be holding a passport that lets me live in Europe

My point is this - look outside of your comfort zone, whether it is living in Vancouver, or other things - if you step outside what you know, you'll live a more fulfilling life.

perhaps you make coin in Vancouver, or have super rich parents, or are content with what you have knowing what else is out there, but blind faith is just lazy! but stepping out of one's comfort zone is hard work, most people don't like hard work.

also, just know that all the things most people bang on about loving Vancouver for - they're available in other places. don't be fooled into thinking Vancouver's the only place for this, that, or the other.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #7455
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
doesn't want to say where he lives so we cant go off on it when the next guy walks into a subway station and blows himself up.

Safety is kind of an important aspect of where you live.. and mainland europe is feeling pretty unsafe these days.

Here.. i'm going to look into my crystal ball and predict something ala the housing market, it's going to make me look like a freaking genius too!

2016 - The Canucks are going to win the stanley cup!
2017 - The Canucks are going to win the stanley cup!
2018 - The Canucks are going to win the stanley cup!
2019 - The Canucks are going to win the stanley cup!
2045 - The Canucks are going to win the stanley cup!
2046 - The Canucks Won the Stanley Cup!! I'm a fucking genius! See! i Told you all they'd win the stanley cup!!!

Dem "Crash" theorists
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #7456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
and mainland europe is feeling pretty unsafe these days.
when was the last time you were in europe?

europe is statistically safe as fuck.

is flying dangerous nowadays becasue of MH17, MH370, egypt air, all the other planes that have gone down of late? no, statistically never been safer to fly

get your head out of your arse.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #7457

Quote:
Clean air, no bomb threats, any sport u want to do within an hour of where u live. Go ahead show me that list.
So. cal, nor. cal. Most big cities in Europe, most places in the US.

if by 'any sport' you mean up a mountain, you're talking to a niche market (though cali has that).

and if you are, i'd counter you with surfing, can't really do that outside of tofino

it's about getting the overall basket of what you like, whilst making bank, advancing your career, and enjoying culture.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
when was the last time you were in europe?

europe is statistically safe as fuck.

is flying dangerous nowadays becasue of MH17, MH370, egypt air, all the other planes that have gone down of late? no, statistically never been safer to fly

get your head out of your arse.
Spent 6 months in Europe over 3 trips from 2011 to 2014

I'd say it's become increasingly unsafe due to the mass immigration of refugees into the region, not because random one off flight mishaps lol..

Places like Sweden etc have had documented increases in rape/assault cases directly related to the intake of refugees, and now, to stay PC, cases such as these, the race/background can no longer be documented in the details of the case. So they are essentially concealing the statistics in order to save face in their "good will" gesture in taking on North Africa/middle eastern refugees.

Personally I'm not scared of the people, nor do I think Europe as a whole is substantially more dangerous than years before this. However, they've never seen this frequency of "terror" attacks, and if you tow the tag line that the first generation of immigrants are never the problem, you simply have to look at the people committing these "terror" acts these days who are almost all second generation nationals. When you have a massive intake of first generation immigrants, what comes after?

Odds are pretty good things will continue to get worse before they get better. And with the Brexit vote, and people seeing how easy it is to simply leave the EU and close your borders, if countries continue to see these attacks coming from outside their own "borders" you can guarantee people will start considering the thought of their own country leaving the EU as well.

I'll take mainlanders driving Aventadors over Syrian refugees with a bone to pick with "the west" thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #7459
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
The fire separations/building code should make it so it's the same as any other unit in the building I would think
It doesn't.
Insurance premiums tend to be higher for condo's sitting on top of store fronts because of higher risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #7460
I subscribe to Revscene

In the motherland theres active surveillance over the cities for anyone who thinks they can live without paying a high premium on shelter.
EuroMillions winner George Traykov used cash to build illegal 'bed-in-shed' for migrants$ | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
The shanty building, with a kitchen and bathroom, was found when the council flew above properties with a thermal camera because of the strain illegal housing was placing on council services
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #7461
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Get that shit out of here

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #7462
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
needs the CSI zoom in on the plates meme

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 AM   #7463
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Spent 6 months in Europe over 3 trips from 2011 to 2014

I'd say it's become increasingly unsafe due to the mass immigration of refugees into the region, not because random one off flight mishaps lol..

Places like Sweden etc have had documented increases in rape/assault cases directly related to the intake of refugees, and now, to stay PC, cases such as these, the race/background can no longer be documented in the details of the case. So they are essentially concealing the statistics in order to save face in their "good will" gesture in taking on North Africa/middle eastern refugees.

Personally I'm not scared of the people, nor do I think Europe as a whole is substantially more dangerous than years before this. However, they've never seen this frequency of "terror" attacks, and if you tow the tag line that the first generation of immigrants are never the problem, you simply have to look at the people committing these "terror" acts these days who are almost all second generation nationals. When you have a massive intake of first generation immigrants, what comes after?

Odds are pretty good things will continue to get worse before they get better. And with the Brexit vote, and people seeing how easy it is to simply leave the EU and close your borders, if countries continue to see these attacks coming from outside their own "borders" you can guarantee people will start considering the thought of their own country leaving the EU as well.

I'll take mainlanders driving Aventadors over Syrian refugees with a bone to pick with "the west" thanks
Didn't they just accept a bunch of Syrian refugees in Vancouver?
Plus we have Karla Homolka, Robert Pickton, that dude that cut off that kid's head on the greyhound and licked his entrails, that homosexual guy that cut apart the Chinese student...
Hell we even let people shoot up our parliament. So yea totally safe.

I think statistically we have more fucked up people than any other country in the world

Last edited by twdm; 08-02-2016 at 04:58 AM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #7464
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
This is your criteria? Have you never left Vancouver before?
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #7465

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Didn't they just accept a bunch of Syrian refugees in Vancouver?
Plus we have Karla Homolka, Robert Pickton, that dude that cut off that kid's head on the greyhound and licked his entrails, that homosexual guy that cut apart the Chinese student...
Hell we even let people shoot up our parliament. So yea totally safe.

I think statistically we have more fucked up people than any other country in the world

one person with a van in Nice killed more than double everyone you're talking about in minutes as opposed to over decades..

Canada had 516 Homicides in 2015, Chicago, the city, had 468

Since Sept 11th, there have been over 600 deaths in mainland Europe as a direct result of "terror" and 95% of those attacks are carried out by groups with islamic ties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror...European_Union

In the same period of time, there have only been 3 deaths in 2 separate "terror" attacks within Canada, and both were committed by "a recent Muslim convert" as opposed to sects of extremists operating as a group.

and now... if you want to get into 4444's point of the attacks on Planes etc. you can throw in those planes which were shot down by rebels, Russians, etc. over the last 10 years and add those deaths to the total as well..

I find it very hard to argue there are many safer places than Canada.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #7466
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
But you're not being outbid by foreign buyers. You'd be outbid by locals who have compromised on where they want to live to live the lifestyle they have decided on, compromise would be the key word. You don't want to drive an hour each way to work, fair enough. You don't want a tiny shoe box condo, fair enough. You don't want to pay market value to buy a place that meets your needs, sorry it doesn't work like that.
Compromised is the key word you're right, they compromised because their first choice was taken away from them because someone who made their millions elsewhere swooped it away from them. I'm well aware what the new normal is, I'm just choosing to speak up about it instead of just accepting that the inflated market value must stay the same, when it doesn't.

Quote:
That's what the media want you to believe, because it makes headlines and gets people all worked up. Sure, there some domino effect as you explained above. The biggest factor bar none are the historically low interest rates, which have been sitting way down here for a loooooong time with no short term meaningful increased planned. Blame your competition for signing up for mortgages that maybe they should not be signing up for, but being cleared for by the brokers. But putting the accountability back on the locals, nobody wants to hear that. It's way easier to blame those other people
Right it's all smoke and mirrors, the data is all wrong, no one is using Vancouver real estate to park their money. Why are home owners upset about this tax then? If foreigners aren't the problem and it's just locals bidding each other up then nothing will change anyways.

Quote:
Easy to say now, but if you buy a place, and it drops 60k before you move in, you're going to be pretty pissed.

If you can't afford or don't want to buy in right now, and you can buy in next year with a 60k price increase, something is off there.
If prices continue to rise at this rate then no, I probably won't buy at all. I'm banking on this tax to at least flatline things for awhile. But who am I kidding, with interest rates this low locals can afford anything. Perhaps I should just max myself out and hope that interest rates will stay the same the next 25 years.

Quote:
We need to look at the big picture, not just housing and home pricing. How many more high end cars do you see on the road today compared to 10 years ago? High school kids drive around in 'beater' G35's nowadays compared to Civics and Corollas from the 80's. Where do you think people go to buy these cars? Who do you think services and fixes these cars? The same applies to many 'industries' outside automotive.
You're right, I'm gonna start a go fund me page for Brian Jessel right now he's gonna be in trouble soon.

Quote:
Hey, I totally get where you're coming from, you should be able to buy something nicer and closer than what you realistically can right now. But the government having an influx of foreign money in many ways does help put it's people first, you just need to look a bit deeper than what the headline news is telling you. Because these foreigners may be the source of livelihood for many locals who are barely making ends meet right now, ever think about it that way?
So which is it, locals bidding each other into record high prices due to low interest, or foreigners being the backbone of our economy now with their empty houses and flashy cars? Do you honestly think that housing rising as fast as it is will be good for this city in the long term?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #7467
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
wont somebody think of MM-Design and SR Auto?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #7468
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Fixing and selling Honda's won't keep food on the table, if highschool kids stop buying high end cars the industry is going to collapse.

I'm pretty sure people buy more things when they aren't spending it all on their mortgage, we can't rely on rich people buying expensive things to keep the economy afloat.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #7469
I don't get it

Yet neither you nor 4444 can provide this list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
This is your criteria? Have you never left Vancouver before?
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #7470
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,225 Posts
Quote:
Yet neither you nor 4444 can provide this list.
Seriously you need to STFU and quit while you're ahead. You've really contributed nothing to this forum but be a troll as far as I can tell. Keep at it and I"m pretty sure you're going to be banned or be relegated to fight club like gululululu and CiC

.03% of the world's population lives in Vancouver. You're saying 99.97% of the world lives in a place worse than Vancouver?

Quote:
Lets see off the top of my head:
Canada:
Pretty much the rest of the country has what you're asking for. However if you're referring to Alpine sports you're limited to BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. So let's go with that assumption for the rest below.

USA:
Washington State, Oregon, California, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Upstate NY, Minnesota, N. Dakota, S. Dakota.

South America:
Colombia (yes really), Argentina, Chile, parts of Peru

Europe:
Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Croatia, Greece, Spain, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Romania, Bulgaria. None of these countries has experienced a major Jihadist terror attack and for the ones that did, it's still safe for 99% of the population.

Asia:
South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore (they have an indoor ski slope )

Australia:
New South Wales, Canberra, Victoria, Tasmania

New Zealand

so fuck off already and let's move back on to topic shall we?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 08-02-2016 at 01:16 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #7471

Appreciate CB there actually jotting down a list.

When most people suggest there are other better places, including 4444, rarely if ever, are locations actually suggested.

Yea, HK is listed on the last few pages in terms of career advancement, but lets be real, it's not an overall improvement upon ones life.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #7472
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Hong Kong's Beaches Are Suddenly Covered in Trash and No One Knows Why

sad because HK seems to have decent beaches...hope it's been mostly cleaned up.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #7473
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
I find it ridiculous that some people believe Vancouver is the only good place to live in Canada.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #7474
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I grew up in Ontario and dont see myself ever goin back. You get 4 seasons in the east and they're all extreme. Too hot or too cold waking to 4ft of snow. Traffic is terrible no matter how many highways you build and everyones commute is typically an hour to two hours one way.

For natural beauty and climate. Vancouver is #1 in Canada by far and probably top 5 in the world. Im not bragging but give credit where credit is due. BC is sexy as hell.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #7475
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Hong Kong's Beaches Are Suddenly Covered in Trash and No One Knows Why

sad because HK seems to have decent beaches...hope it's been mostly cleaned up.
comments section blaming china, saying it's their garbage, mentioning brands on bottles/garbage are from mainland china

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote