REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #19226
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Great68 has a point though. The poor guy wants to reno his garage and he can't do it without going through all these hoops, and that's if he even gets permission. A homeowner doesn't have to worry about those things.

At the same time, I understand WHY those regulations are in place. At the end of the day, you're sharing a structure with a bunch of other randos. There has to be rules that govern this kind of thing so that one mofo doesn't do something dumb and wreck everyone else's home.
A homeowner had to pay half a million more at a minimum for that privilege at this point. It’s all bullshit, just in different ways.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #19227
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Pie plates to distract the neighbors while you are building the wall.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #19228
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
A homeowner had to pay half a million more at a minimum for that privilege at this point. It’s all bullshit, just in different ways.
Also in most cases if you fuck up your project it doesn't affect anyone else I.e. damages. But If you fuck up a project in a Strata lot it could potentially have huge impact to your neighbors.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #19229
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:
Great68 has a point though. The poor guy wants to reno his garage and he can't do it without going through all these hoops, and that's if he even gets permission. A homeowner doesn't have to worry about those things.
It's a double edged sword though. There's nobody to stop you from tearing into a job and ending up standing in a pile of carnage thinking "dear god what have I done?"

There's also nobody to stop your wife from coming up with DIY projects that suspiciously involve components too heavy for her to carry.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #19230
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
NO.. .wearing black underwear today - dried cum stains might freak the wife out when she does laundry..she might think i'm banging my neighbor.
I don't think anyone here thinks you're fucking anyone. Not even the wife

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #19231
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Close the door, build the wall, don’t show it to neighbours lol

Worst case you’ve got to tear it out. Not even worth mentioning to strata imo
I think this is exactly what I'm going to do after thinking about it more, i'm not taking anything down won't even be putting up a wall just putting some flooring so my feet aren't on concrete lol. Was even considering just the rubber floors to make things even easier but I think gonna go with laminate or vinyl.

Quote:

At the same time, I understand WHY those regulations are in place. At the end of the day, you're sharing a structure with a bunch of other randos. There has to be rules that govern this kind of thing so that one mofo doesn't do something dumb and wreck everyone else's home.
We were in a condo with a strata before but never really dealt with council since there wasn't a lot we wanted to do anyways. This time around trying to do things more by the book cause we do plan on staying here a bit longer and dont really want to be on bad terms with the strata council if I can help it. The exterior part was pretty clear so I emailed and discussed changing locks and the video doorbell (which they approved pretty fast). but there was no mention of the interior stuff so that's why I asked.

Quote:
To my knowledge, the Strata Property Act doesn't look at it that way. Changing walls/adding or removing rooms = changing the building's structure. It doesn't differentiate whether the walls are load bearing or not. I shouldn't have used the word "structural" just "structure".

Something I didn't mention earlier but there is also the issue of whether ForbiddenX is increasing the habitable area. That's a whole other can of worms. Habitable area defines your square footage which defines your strata fees (assuming the fees are calculated based on a % of unit entitlement).

If you're making changes that change the habitable area, you would have to change the unit entitlement and that requires unanimous approval at at AGM. Sounds like a nightmare.

I did some quick google research. Check this out. Bottom of page 11.
https://www.visoa.bc.ca/wp-content/u...ay-27-2018.pdf
Yea I'm thinking _just_ adding flooring doesn't make the space habitable. Def something I'll tolerate while working or gaming but not something I would consider habitable. There's still going to be the car, storage, etc everything else in there and no wall.

Quote:
The Strata Act says the following:

If you're adding walls, that falls under (a) because walls are structural.

If you're doing anything that involves common pipes, wires, ducts, plumbing, etc that falls under (f) as those are all common property.

Under (g), the council has to insure anything that the developer installed, so that's original flooring, fixtures, etc.

So bottom line is yeah, you can't proceed without your Council approving the renovation.

But like I said, the council can't unreasonably deny your request. They might make you jump through a lot of hoops though.

My opinion is custom millwork isn't an alteration that would require strata approval. We put custom closets in our place and didn't notify the strata. They aren't structural at all.

The regulation I posted above is from the standard bylaws. A council can always change/amend the standard bylaws, so make sure you also read specifically what your bylaws say in case there is something more. i.e you might have a bylaw that says no hard floors are allowed, only carpets. Etc.. Stuff like that.
Yea I double and tripple checked the bylawys to make sure stuff like this was mentioned and there was nothing there. The only things that were explicit were things relating to the building envelope and common property.

And we also already did custom closets and didn't get approval... not sure why I thought it'd be different lol but I guess the stuff we want in the living areas would be more obvious.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #19232
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
I think this is exactly what I'm going to do after thinking about it more, i'm not taking anything down won't even be putting up a wall just putting some flooring so my feet aren't on concrete lol. Was even considering just the rubber floors to make things even easier but I think gonna go with laminate or vinyl.

We were in a condo with a strata before but never really dealt with council since there wasn't a lot we wanted to do anyways. This time around trying to do things more by the book cause we do plan on staying here a bit longer and dont really want to be on bad terms with the strata council if I can help it. The exterior part was pretty clear so I emailed and discussed changing locks and the video doorbell (which they approved pretty fast). but there was no mention of the interior stuff so that's why I asked.

Yea I'm thinking _just_ adding flooring doesn't make the space habitable. Def something I'll tolerate while working or gaming but not something I would consider habitable. There's still going to be the car, storage, etc everything else in there and no wall.

Yea I double and tripple checked the bylawys to make sure stuff like this was mentioned and there was nothing there. The only things that were explicit were things relating to the building envelope and common property.

And we also already did custom closets and didn't get approval... not sure why I thought it'd be different lol but I guess the stuff we want in the living areas would be more obvious.
Also normal for you to fill out an indemnity form for even the simplest of work done.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #19233
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts
gazebo tent in garage without roof

as long as it's not bolted down, it's all good lol

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #19234
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/08...-millionaires/

It's satire but also not satire.

All the BS the party leaders are peddling is a bit infuriating - there's really nothing they can do when zoning prevents enough housing to be built.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #19235

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
A few years ago when I did a mortgage preapproval to see how much money I could borrow to determine what I could I afford (before the stress test stuff), the bank was able to approve pretty quickly with turnaround time.

Now I am indeed needing the money for mortgage, it's taken the bank over a week to approve (haven't fully approved everything). I'm not sure if this is normal considering now? I am dealing with HSBC currently and based on just purely work income I was offered $100K less than what I wanted for mortgage, so I told them okay, I have additional investment liquid assets and told them to give me more mortgage amount. They told me now I need to be in the wealth lending program as I am leveraging my assets to borrow more and that I will be dinged a rate higher than the current market rate for interest.

They approved the borrowing amount that I want, but haven't approved the rate I asked for. Haven't been in the mortgage game ever, so I don't even know if this is considered normal across all the big banks?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #19236
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Yes cuz you think you're the only one trying to buy a house? Everything is back up by slower processing times due to Covid. Also everyone and their dog is trying to buy a place while the rates are still low. You are literally trying to do a deal in middle of the busiest season as no one can go on vacation so they are just looking at houses to buy.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #19237

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
A few years ago when I did a mortgage preapproval to see how much money I could borrow to determine what I could I afford (before the stress test stuff), the bank was able to approve pretty quickly with turnaround time.

Now I am indeed needing the money for mortgage, it's taken the bank over a week to approve (haven't fully approved everything). I'm not sure if this is normal considering now? I am dealing with HSBC currently and based on just purely work income I was offered $100K less than what I wanted for mortgage, so I told them okay, I have additional investment liquid assets and told them to give me more mortgage amount. They told me now I need to be in the wealth lending program as I am leveraging my assets to borrow more and that I will be dinged a rate higher than the current market rate for interest.

They approved the borrowing amount that I want, but haven't approved the rate I asked for. Haven't been in the mortgage game ever, so I don't even know if this is considered normal across all the big banks?
A friend was telling me about some recent changes in an attempt to make it a more even playing field.

How it was explained to me is that if you put more than 20% down payment, you'll be able to borrow less money.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #19238
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
On my last purchase, HSBC took 1.5 weeks more than the others to get back to me.

You are dealing with the hongkong and shanghai banking corp after all

You dont ask for a rate..... You ask for a mortgage, and the rate is whatever they tell you it is.
The only time you "ask" for a rate, is when someone else offered you a lower number, and you "tell" them your going with the other bank unless they match it.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #19239
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
On my last purchase, HSBC took 1.5 weeks more than the others to get back to me.

You are dealing with the hongkong and shanghai banking corp after all

You dont ask for a rate..... You ask for a mortgage, and the rate is whatever they tell you it is.
The only time you "ask" for a rate, is when someone else offered you a lower number, and you "tell" them your going with the other bank unless they match it.
My experience too. HSBC was happy to lower/match rate... once I had a letter from TD showing what TD was willing to offer. (I went with HSBC in the end due to some additional flexibility with their HELOC + $3K cashback they threw in.)

EDIT: That said I have to give HSBC credit on being very speedy with my mortgage. Approval within 2 days, documents to my lawyer a day after. Richmond No. 3 road branch.

Last edited by carsncars; 08-29-2021 at 01:20 PM.
carsncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #19240

I don't quite understand HSBC or maybe this is considered normal across all banks. So I was offered $350K mortgage just purely on income and no assets into consideration. They told me if I needed $450K, I would need to show I have some sort of assets (which I did). They were okay lending $450K now after taking into consideration my assets; however they said as I couldn't borrow $450K under their regular lending program, I needed to be in their wealth management program. The catch is I needed to be upcharged an extra 0.20% interest due to this. It doesn't quite make sense to me by borrowing an extra $100K would be charged more interest (also the fact I have a bit of assets). A bit confused....

Currently they quoted me 1.29% market rate + 0.20% upcharge = 1.49%; however, they were able to get me down to 1.39% (exception rate). When I checked on HSBC their variable rate went up to 1.39% compared to a few weeks ago, so not really exception rate lol?
Old 08-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #19241

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
That sounds about right, from what I hear about HSBC they have a LOT of fine print. That's why you're able to get X deal.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #19242
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
HSBC is not a charity and they certainly do not fuck around. They pick and choose their clients carefully, especially those who can or have the potential generate them revenue and know how to game the system in their lending practices. I don't have any beef with HSBC but tread carefully with HSBC. They aren't a normal bank.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #19243

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Who was looking for closets again? I keep getting this ad. Offer expires tomorrow though.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #19244

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
I don't quite understand HSBC or maybe this is considered normal across all banks. So I was offered $350K mortgage just purely on income and no assets into consideration. They told me if I needed $450K, I would need to show I have some sort of assets (which I did). They were okay lending $450K now after taking into consideration my assets; however they said as I couldn't borrow $450K under their regular lending program, I needed to be in their wealth management program. The catch is I needed to be upcharged an extra 0.20% interest due to this. It doesn't quite make sense to me by borrowing an extra $100K would be charged more interest (also the fact I have a bit of assets). A bit confused....

Currently they quoted me 1.29% market rate + 0.20% upcharge = 1.49%; however, they were able to get me down to 1.39% (exception rate). When I checked on HSBC their variable rate went up to 1.39% compared to a few weeks ago, so not really exception rate lol?
Maybe time to consider another bank or get a broker?

I had little trouble working with TD to get what I wanted - I was borrowing a lot more money ($1.65m) but it had none of the BS that you're getting from HSBC. For the most part I found my TD advisor to be surprisingly cautious (explained every risk to me) when I knew what my plans were and was ready to plow through.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #19245

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Maybe time to consider another bank or get a broker?

I had little trouble working with TD to get what I wanted - I was borrowing a lot more money ($1.65m) but it had none of the BS that you're getting from HSBC. For the most part I found my TD advisor to be surprisingly cautious (explained every risk to me) when I knew what my plans were and was ready to plow through.
That is my thought as well. Whether I borrow $350K or $450K, the rate should stay the same, it's the amount I am able to borrow that usually would fluctuate depending on your income/assets. Never heard of if you borrow more you gotta pay a upcharged "premium rate" versus regular rate.

I contacted CIBC today and base on preliminary conversations, they are willing to offer around 1.23%. I'll use that to see if HSBC can beat it.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #19246
Old School RS

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
I contacted CIBC today and base on preliminary conversations, they are willing to offer around 1.23%. I'll use that to see if HSBC can beat it.
Love it... HSBC has been a complete pain in the ass, isn't giving you good pricing, etc. You reach out to a competitor who gives you a good rate and instead of rewarding them with your business, you go back to your abusive relationship and give them a second chance...

-Mark
Old 09-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #19247

Quote:

350K was probably the max they would lend you based on your income, and now you want to borrow an additional 100K which means it's riskier for them to lend you 450K vs 350K. Your income is still the same, you will be paying off your mortgage payments from that same income (unless your assets are income generating), so banks charge more for higher risk, just as you would expect a higher return rate for taking on more riskier investments.

Maybe your income just isn't high enough from HSBC's viewpoint, but another lender might view that differently.

The funny thing is that they (HSBC) do charge less interest rate for taking on a higher ratio mortgage (for putting less than 20% down), but I guess you're just at their limit

My Feedback

Blah™

Last edited by Hakkaboy; 09-01-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #19248
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

If you want timely service for a regular consumer, HSBC isn't the bank known for this. Try Van-city or Scotia Bank.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #19249

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Love it... HSBC has been a complete pain in the ass, isn't giving you good pricing, etc. You reach out to a competitor who gives you a good rate and instead of rewarding them with your business, you go back to your abusive relationship and give them a second chance...

-Mark
I know LOL. HSBC were the ones that were like, "well if you have offers from other banks, we'll look at matching and beating it, if you can show us proof you have other offers"
Old 09-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #19250
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
A new company in the US that buys houses, splits them into 8 pieces, and sells them to 8 people. Each person has the house for 44 nights max 14 nights per stay. The company has already reached unicorn status and plans to expand internationally. They claim they are not a time-share company. Some people are pissed. The houses seem overpriced to me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...o-corporations

https://www.pacaso.com/