REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #2426
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clon3 View Post
A new service to try is Coincurve.com, which is Vancouver-based and a non-custodial wallet service for smaller amounts. Safer way to invest in Bitcoins as they do not hold your coins.
Just took a quick look and the rates aren't as good as Shakepay. 1.6% difference. That said, the more options the better.

Can't really beat shakepay though. Etransfer in, btc out.
Advertisement
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #2427
I subscribe to Revscene

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #2428
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,397 Times in 3,473 Posts
Over a 100K in mining equipment. I wonder what it will go for.

https://www.ableauctions.ca/auction?...b-131c076b1913
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #2429
BANISHED~! to the Fight Club

skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #2430

Saw this on facebook. Mom spends 15k on bitcoin machine but does not know how to hook it up so the daughter is selling it for 2k. Did a bit of research and you will be losing about a grand a year if you plug it in.

https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/ibelink/dm22g

Monero is switching to CPU only mining in October. Thinking about building a CPU mining rig. The AMD 3900x seems to be the cpu to get but it's out of stock. Good time for someone who already has a higher end computer to get into mining.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #2431
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Saw this on facebook. Mom spends 15k on bitcoin machine but does not know how to hook it up so the daughter is selling it for 2k. Did a bit of research and you will be losing about a grand a year if you plug it in.
Yeah, as if that story is believable.. but who knows, there's a sucker born every minute.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #2432
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,484 Posts
So my 78 year old father in law wants to purchase a bitcoin and I’ve been put in charge. What’s the best/safest place to purchase and secondly the best way to store (long term).
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #2433
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,841 Times in 8,203 Posts
Where to buy, I think others can help you there. If you're looking to buy one whole bitcoin, that is like $9000 USD right now.

Safest would be a hardware wallet like a Ledger or Trezor
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #2434

Yeah he’s want the whole deal. I think I’ll make him a big metal coil and stock the wallet in it. Hahaha
Old 11-12-2019, 12:27 AM   #2435

A lot of people use https://shakepay.co/ to buy bitcoin. https://www.kraken.com is another option and you can fund your account via Canada post, I think the max is $1000 at a time. You can use Bitcoin ATM's but the amount you can but at one time is limited. How much do you want to buy?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #2436

He wants 1 but coin. So about 11k worth I suppose.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
He wants 1 but coin. So about 11k worth I suppose.
First I would start with getting a software wallet. I use Jaxx liberty it's free and available on Android and IOS. I also use Blockfolio to keep track of current prices.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #2438

I’m assuming a hardware wallet would be more safe long term? As in you have the actual “data” on hand?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #2439

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I’m assuming a hardware wallet would be more safe long term? As in you have the actual “data” on hand?
That's the idea. As long as the password and device are secure, it will be more secure. It's not 100% necessary - your wallet could literally be a phrase written on a piece of paper
Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 AM   #2440

As China enters a recession and possible total economic and political collapse, buying Bitcoin now at 10K may end up seeming like pennies 10-20 years from now. I doubt we'll ever see it this low again
Old 02-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #2441
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
with quadrigcx down the drain. What are some good exchange for bitcoin <-> cad?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #2442

Crypto is taking a shit-kicking just like everything else.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #2443
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
As China enters a recession and possible total economic and political collapse, buying Bitcoin now at 10K may end up seeming like pennies 10-20 years from now. I doubt we'll ever see it this low again
and half the price two days later lol
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #2444

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
and half the price two days later lol
Yup good chance to buy more! Come back in 10-20 years like I said

Too many dipshit investors bought into bitcoin, so when they shit themselves panicking for no reason, it affects this currency as well

I swear stock investors are the dumbest people

Difference is, bitcoin doesn't have the government throwing away 1.5 trillion dollars to cover for their idiocy.

So it could go even lower.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #2445

Quote:
Yup good chance to buy more! Come back in 10-20 years like I said

Too many dipshit investors bought into bitcoin, so when they shit themselves panicking for no reason, it affects this currency as well

I swear speculators and investors are the dumbest people
Wow dude that’s a loaded statement. For all the /bitcoins folks that advocate btc as a stable “asset” during financial crisis. Well this is first real financial crisis that bitcoin has seen and it’s being absolutely murder.

The smartest people in the bitcoin game ARE the investor and the speculator it seem. Those that have cash out at 19k. And those that continue to swing trade.

The next smartest people in the bitcoin game are the ones that use the freakin thing like the currency it is suppose to be. Which mean no holding convert as needed.

Not saying bitcoin will go to zero but buy and hold only work if for something that you are expecting to appreciate. IMO the dipshit mentality of JUST HODL TILL LAMBO is what is going got o ensure btc never hits its ATH again.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #2446

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Wow dude that’s a loaded statement. For all the /bitcoins folks that advocate btc as a stable “asset” during financial crisis. Well this is first real financial crisis that bitcoin has seen and it’s being absolutely murder.

The smartest people in the bitcoin game ARE the investor and the speculator it seem. Those that have cash out at 19k. And those that continue to swing trade.

The next smartest people in the bitcoin game are the ones that use the freakin thing like the currency it is suppose to be. Which mean no holding convert as needed.

Not saying bitcoin will go to zero but buy and hold only work if for something that you are expecting to appreciate. IMO the dipshit mentality of JUST HODL TILL LAMBO is what is going got o ensure btc never hits its ATH again.
I agree with all that you said, especially using it like a currency. Unfortunately that's hard to do when it fluctuates so much. I've been wanting to make a purchase in the last week, but have been holding off since it keeps going down in value. People who spend with bitcoin basically have to treat the market like they are investor - you can only spend it when the value is high. That's why I only buy a bit at a time, usually enough to cover a purchase and a bit more. I'll never be a "bitcoin millionaire". Because 1) I don't care about being rich and 2) I want it to work, so I spend my bitcoin.

I am actually somewhat surprised that it's going down with the markets. It shows that a lot of the people who invested into it don't believe in it at all, they are just greedy investors looking for new ways to make more money without contributing to society.

Another bump in the road and lesson for the emerging currency
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #2447

I am not at all surprise bitcoin is going down.

The stock market crash we are seeing if quite unprecedented and probably will be talk about in history books.

People are getting margin called left and right. In a situation like this speculative asset are the first to go. Even gold is dropping. The speed with which bitcoin is crashing is just reflective of how speculative it is to begin with.

You are using it in a HODL till appreciate mentality. If you don’t intend for btc to increase in value. You would of just converted the amount you need trade and convert back to fiat. I have dont that many times and I have no lost any money by actually using bitcoin.

My point being people have made loads of money when bitcoin does it massive swing up and massive swing down. Those that consistent lose money with bitcoin are the one that hold hold hold and never let go.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
I am not at all surprise bitcoin is going down.

The stock market crash we are seeing if quite unprecedented and probably will be talk about in history books.

People are getting margin called left and right. In a situation like this speculative asset are the first to go. Even gold is dropping. The speed with which bitcoin is crashing is just reflective of how speculative it is to begin with.

You are using it in a HODL till appreciate mentality. If you don’t intend for btc to increase in value. You would of just converted the amount you need trade and convert back to fiat. I have dont that many times and I have no lost any money by actually using bitcoin.

My point being people have made loads of money when bitcoin does it massive swing up and massive swing down. Those that consistent lose money with bitcoin are the one that hold hold hold and never let go.
I don't hold, I do what you do. I'm not an investor, I believe in the currency.

It's harder to do now with banks shutting down a lot of the easier ways to buy and sell into fiat.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #2449

I go to eat come home check my phone and it's down over 40%. Who has the balls to buy now?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #2450
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
I agree with all that you said, especially using it like a currency. Unfortunately that's hard to do when it fluctuates so much.
This is exactly why Bitcoin is useless. It's so volatile because it's based on nothing. It's a completely groundless and speculative investment. As threezero stated the first assets to go in times of need are the speculative ones and Bitcoin is being absolutely destroyed. Blue chip stocks are down 15-20-30% over the last week and they're based on multi-million dollar corporations. Today, Bitcoin is an absolutely useless asset and is being dumped. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to essentially 0. It was $9100 USD a coin five days ago and today alone is down 42% to $3900 and still falling.

Sorry to say Skinny, but you're taking the position of Bear Stearns on this one. I think this crash proves the value of cryptocurrency: 0. No one will be talking about Bitcoin in 10-20 years. I hope you're not losing your socks.

EDIT - As I posted that, it has shot back up to $5100. Swings like that are just stupid for investors. Likely a dead cat bounce as circuit breakers are going in Asian markets. Tomorrow will be another bloodbath in the markets.

Last edited by JDął; 03-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote