REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Activists trying to remove Chinese signs in Richmond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681743-activists-trying-remove-chinese-signs-richmond.html)

Tim Budong 03-15-2013 12:11 PM

Activists trying to remove Chinese signs in Richmond

So..... let the debate begin...
I think these should stay... its not that we dont welcome them, its just part of culture.

Quote:

There’s no doubt Richmond — with a population of predominantly Asian descent — enjoys a generous helping of Asian language on signs, shops, advertising, real estate newspapers and mail outs.

But a delegation preparing to present its case to city council claims Richmond’s plate is now piled too high with the Chinese language and is asking for a more balanced diet of Canada’s official English and French tongue.

Residents Kerry Starchuk and Ann Merdinyan have spent the last eight months researching the issue, taking photos and gathering signatures for a 1,000-strong petition, before they face city council on Monday.

Starchuk and Merdinyan — who’ve sat in on many of the city’s intercultural advisory committee meetings over the past six months — say the amount of Chinese-only literature they’ve photographed over the past couple of years has gotten “way out of hand.”

And, with a view to “increasing racial harmony,” Starchuk is asking the city to consider adopting the same policy as Aberdeen Centre, where two-thirds of any signage has to have English and French.

“We’re not saying there shouldn’t be Chinese language on signs,” Starchuk told the News.

“I’ve lived in Richmond all my life and I enjoy having so many different cultures in the city.

“But this isn’t right and it’s all the way through Richmond, not just the city centre, and the lack of English is way out of proportion.”

Starchuk said if someone, such as city council, doesn’t “get a handle on it” soon, there may come a time when there’ll be no English to be seen.

“If this is our Canadian identity, then it’s not very inclusive, is it?” said Starchuk, who added she won’t drive up the north end of No. 3 Road anymore because of the predominantly Chinese signage.

“This is not cultural harmony because I have no idea what these signs, advertising and the real estate papers are saying.

“We value Richmond and we value our Canadian identity and I hope that comes across with our presentation.”

Aberdeen Centre spokeswoman Joey Kwan confirmed it has a signage policy for all of its retailers, with at least 70 per cent English/French and the remaining 30 per cent a language of the retailer’s choice.

Starchuk, who says she’s been researching the subject off and on for three years, feels Aberdeen’s approach is the way forward.

“Up the top of No. 3 Road is one thing, but it’s crept further and further down into all of Richmond and into my neighbourhood,” she said.

“When you drive down your own street and you can’t read many of the signs and can’t read half of the stuff that comes to your door, something’s wrong with that.”

Starchuk has approached several members of city council in the past with her issue and, according to her, she didn’t gain much traction.

“The discussion needs to be opened up about this and that’s ultimately what we’re trying to do here.”

Read more: Community lines up for share of $750,000
I believe its the same if you drive down main st.

yray 03-15-2013 12:25 PM

I saw a 410 bus with all Chinese ads once :troll:

great ad placement tho seeing it roar down 3 rd

murd0c 03-15-2013 12:30 PM

This should remove the Indian signs in Delta/Surrey as well if they do that... I'm ok for the signs as long as theres english as well..

TheKingdom2000 03-15-2013 12:30 PM

At first I was like, who the heck cares. But, I agree with the lobbyists.
There should be a bylaw which states a certain percentage of the sign has to be in either english/french.

I like the idea of the 70/30 rule. Even if it were a 50/50 rule I would be okay with that.

drunkrussian 03-15-2013 12:35 PM

im ok with Chinese signs but adding English on makes sense. It will actually bring them new customers too. French though seems like more of a formality, i don't really see much value in French. In any case what's the issue here? Why not add English to Chinese signs??
Posted via RS Mobile

PJ 03-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8185562)
This should remove the Indian signs in Delta/Surrey as well if they do that... I'm ok for the signs as long as theres english as well..

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.
If they force the Chinese to do this, they have to force the rest of the ethnic groups too.

I can see where they're coming from, it's not totally unreasonable to have businesses put an English translation. The French part is a bit much though...
Posted via RS Mobile

bcedhk 03-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8185557)
I saw a 410 bus with all Chinese ads once :troll:

great ad placement tho seeing it roar down 3 rd

ya i saw that one too, the blue background with red text right? Its for a MLS/Real estate company.. smart marketing.

The % of people who can read french in the lower mainland is probably so low that it would be a waste of time and effort for municipalities to consider this request.

melloman 03-15-2013 12:38 PM

Meh.

This is nothing new. Canada is so "multicultural" that anybody can just walk in and take over.
As said above by murd0c, Indian signs in Delta/Surrey.. Asian languages splashed all over Richmond. I can understand how we tried to keep the cultural background in Vancouvers Chinatown, but FFS.

I'm waiting for the day where I walk into a Richmond restaurant and get told by the staff "No Engrish"

:pokerface:

fliptuner 03-15-2013 12:42 PM

:whatwouldsamjacksonsay:

Seriously, I'd be good with 60% of a sign being English, 40% other.

RTS 03-15-2013 12:45 PM

50/50 guidelines would be fair.

bcedhk 03-15-2013 12:49 PM

that will be tough to regulate. City of Richmond will not approve it cause they don't want to piss off the business chinamen's

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-15-2013 12:50 PM

wait wait wait...

all the signs should be 33.33/33.33/33.33, they totally forgot about french!!!

they should realise, these businesses aren't targeting them.

richmond will never do it.

i went to the queens diamond jubilee award ceremony in richmond.
almost all the recipients were chinese. most havent even been in the country for more than 10 years. they were awarded the medal for political reasons. everything is HIGHLY political.

Malcolm Brodie was like one of the few white guys in the whole room. he's very cozy with the chinese, obviously.

i'm just gonna go out and say it, the chinese have taken a foothold and basically taken over richmond. richmond IS chinatown.

things change, areas change. you adapt. or try to fight it, but you must realise when you're fighting a losing battle. the chinese dictate how richmond is run. end of story.

Gumby 03-15-2013 12:54 PM

Yeah I saw the bus plastered in a Chinese ad too - made me wonder what country I was in. Then I remembered I was in Richmond. :troll:

JKam 03-15-2013 12:54 PM

As a CBC who has elementary proficiency in Chinese, I want english on the signs.

French though? :fuckthatshit:

tarobbt 03-15-2013 01:09 PM

I just hope the english translated signs aren't taken from google :troll::ifyouknow:

Lomac 03-15-2013 01:25 PM

Change the signs to Chinese and French. It's still complying with the law, no? :lol

That said, requiring English on signs in Richmond is still better than what the idiots in Quebec are doing with their own signage laws.

Example: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...gns-court.html

Phil@rise 03-15-2013 02:05 PM

I think all signage should be in all english for the main print. Smaller print in your target markets language should be at the discretion of the business holder tho. My reasoning is this. We already deal with Quebec and the PQ. We dont need a new division based on language and heritage you come here accept the culture and language thats it.

Graeme S 03-15-2013 02:17 PM

Honestly, I say frak it. You don't want my business, you won't get my money. I don't care what language your signs are in. Restaurants, it's kind of annoying if I need to pull along a friend who speaks the language to eat there...but that having been said it kind of adds to the authenticity of it. Plus I like being the only white guy in the room. Fond recollections of high school.

Iunno. I'd guess that the people who are pro-language laws here are the same people who get up in arms about the french language laws that are too strict or rigid or what have you. Don't feel comfortable going to the top of three road? Don't.

JKam 03-15-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8185644)
Don't feel comfortable going to the top of three road? Don't.

But we were here first! We're third generation Canadians and this is our community!

:badpokerface:

snails 03-15-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTS (Post 8185579)
50/50 guidelines would be fair.

well im gunna say it, this is canada, not china... it should not start turning into china, im all for multiculturalism but driving in some places of Richmond and newton/delta are pretty un inviting to those who do not share the culture...

that being said, you go to a country you adapt to there culture as expected, people should when they come here... anything in moderation is fine of course

meowjinboo 03-15-2013 02:29 PM

i hate being the only white guy eatting at your resteraunts.

But I always get the best services because I order in canto :D

bcrdukes 03-15-2013 02:35 PM

Must. Resist...racist remarks.

GLOW 03-15-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8185573)
I walk into a Richmond restaurant and get told by the staff "No Engrish"

fixed

mr_chin 03-15-2013 02:52 PM

1) Maybe they only want to attract chinese customers. If I design an ad that wants to attract male gamers, am I going to put hello kitty and stuff related to fruits and vegetables?

2) Maybe the owner just doesn't know english. When did people who immigrate to Canada HAVE TO learn english? You live in a community with the majority of one ethnic, you're going to have to adapt to it.

3) If you're so curious as to what those chinese signs says, maybe you should get off your ass and find out. When someone's curious/interest in my language, why the hell should I go learn yours to introduce mine?

H.Specter 03-15-2013 03:02 PM

Activists is alluding to the fact that the lack of English signage is discriminating.

Yet discriminates against stores with non English signage.

Strong logic.
Posted via RS Mobile